Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's Your Best Sniper Position?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > Multiplayer Discussion
Marney1
Can't seem to find anything to do with sniping on this forum so I thought I'd start this one. I like laying low tucked out the way somewhere in multiplayer with my sniper rifle and capping as many as possible until everyone gets so pissed off at me they end up ganging up on me and attack me as a mob.

Anyone know of a safe place to hide and stay alive?
(I usually like sniping at the airport).

On top of the big radar tower is a good spot but you're fucked if your heli gets taken out.
TreeFitty
Yeah that's pretty much what I do. Grab a combat sniper, rockets (to fend off helicopters/whoever) and I usually find grenades on my way. Then find a nice rooftop or other spot out of the way and have fun.
ViceMan
Anything that obscures you from view and allows a clear line of fire will do for me, the subway stations are good to crouch in so you're just above the ground. Personally, staying in one spot and sniping is a bad move, you take a few shots and move away to avoid retaliation. Especially if the person you've just killed spawns right behind you.
bOnEs
i don't like sniping in GTAIV, i end up leaving myself exposed and vulnerable... i am much better at runnin' n gunnin'... but sometimes, like in bohan, sniping from near a sort of highway overpass seems to be a good spot since, it is usually in the middle of the action but then again, you leave yourself open to attacks from all sides...

i have to stay on the move if i am to have success in deathmatch/team deathmatch... and i never get in a car either... i'll run across the map if i have to... cars are literally deathtraps...
PabloHoneyOle
My favorite sniper position is on top of the Majestic hotel, both in singleplayer and multi. It's not so great for picking people off on the ground as it is cops and people trying to access the rooftop via helicopters. There are a few places where you can snipe peds/cops on the ground and in Middle Park, but the high rooftop makes it difficult to draw on people on the streets below.

In Team Deathmatch, I use the sniper rifle on the ground to pick off people distracted by my teammates. I never use it too long, I prefer to get up close and personal with the D'eagle.
new major on the block
You do have to stay mobile when sniping. When im at the airport, i'll sneak on top of the roof and do some quick sniping and then move to outside the match, i'll park a car under a plane and move by the wheel and take out a few on the ground that are running around murdering each other by the tower. Then i'll move around the airport in my fast car and go to the second heli pad on the roof of the police station to stay out of view of anyone in the parking lots and pick off the snipers who land on top of the hangers, they never seem to look that way, they are too focused on the runway, picking people off. And yes any subway station entrance is good along with crane towers to see people coming, cause when they get too close for the rifle you can just switch to an m-16 to deal with them. The eleveted rail tracks make a good spot sometimes, especially when you need to make a quick escape on to a neighboring roof top to get out of danger. Lastly i'll sometimes sit on top of the tall building with the 24 logo on it in broker. Allows me to wait to see what heads my way, and have sniped plenty a few blocks away in car or out.
j0ey_F1nG4z
personal fetish of mine is to go into the hospital and kill everyone.
ViceMan
QUOTE(j0ey_F1nG4z @ Mar 21 2009, 04:54 AM) [snapback]1491409[/snapback]

And this relates to a best sniping position, how?
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(ViceMan @ Mar 21 2009, 10:32 AM) [snapback]1491446[/snapback]
QUOTE(j0ey_F1nG4z @ Mar 21 2009, 04:54 AM) [snapback]1491409[/snapback]

And this relates to a best sniping position, how?

It doesn't.

Another good spot is Pier 69 from up ontop of the balconies.
new major on the block
But i would say that my favorite position is atop the the hanger to the back right of the helicopters, that usually has the sniper rifle on top. I spent about an hour up there one day last week just slaughtering people. It finally took a team of people in free mode to finally take me out and that was because i had no armor on for that whole hour either. I was quickly picking off people in cars driving and then cleaning up all the guys on foot who seem to think that by running back and forth will somehow keep them alive. Then i quickly moved to the west end of the hanger and took out blindly anyone who tried to get in the other chopper on top of the LCPD building. And for close spawners to me i used the trusty rocket launcher to remove them from the area.
Slyke57
I just hide behind anything that will block me from the enemies view..
It all depends on my situation, if my target is running away I just shoot from where I am standing.
Otherwise I choose my position depending on incoming enemies and such.

Sometimes I crouch and shoot through car windshields because they don't expect it.
Marney1
Lately I've enjoyed crouching behind the rocks along the shoreline at the airport watching my radar for victims then run upto the verge and take them out then go back and wait again.
It suits me to take my time because I'm normally playing late at night while listening to the phone in on my local radio station and laughing at angry jews on this here forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.