Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yale student sues airline for $1M over lost Xbox360
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > General Discussion
PabloHoneyOle
A Yale University student from Ohio has filed a lawsuit seeking $1 million from US Airways for a video game console he says was taken from his luggage.

Twenty-one-year-old Jesse Maiman from suburban Cincinnati filed the suit Monday in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court.

He alleges that during a flight from New Haven, Conn., to Cincinnati in December, his Xbox 360 with a specialized hard drive disappeared from his luggage.

Maiman says he got what he called "an unconscionable run-around" from the airline. He's asking $1,700 for the loss of the gaming system and for the maximum damages allowable, or $1 million.

A US Airways spokeswoman said the airline was unaware of the suit but noted that the government limits liability for lost luggage to $3,300 per bag.

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gc...=30325747.story

I think if I was flying and taking my Xbox, I'd definitely carry that bitch on.

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this, but he'll probably only get $3,300 and some vouchers.
Full Metal Monkey
Yeah i agree, there is no way an airline would compensate someone $1,000,000 for an electrical item worth at its cheapest RRP 129.

I'm surprised the guy suing suggested the sum of 1700. That must have been some specialized HDD. Unless he had a stupid amount of games with him.

I don't know what the maximum damages allowable is in the states but i doubt its 1,000,000. If it is then the court judge would most likely not allow the settlement to be that much. Most likely the amount your mentioned stoic.
PabloHoneyOle
I think it would be interesting to see if he could put a tangible value on the information saved on his hard drive (game saves, DLC or other movies/shows) and get more for that. I'd like to get ahold of his gamertag, see if he has played a shitton of games.

Also, can you transfer your gamertag from one 360 to another, without the hard drive?
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 11 2009, 02:32 PM) [snapback]1489626[/snapback]
I think it would be interesting to see if he could put a tangible value on the information saved on his hard drive (game saves, DLC or other movies/shows) and get more for that. I'd like to get ahold of his gamertag, see if he has played a shitton of games.

Also, can you transfer your gamertag from one 360 to another, without the hard drive?

Yeah, with the Gamertag Recovery thing. If you sign out on your Xbox, goto the 'Sign In' part and press right and there will be a recovery part. The only problem is that the higher your gamerscore the longer it takes to recover. I went round a friends house so i could play online with him on the same console and to recover my account took about 20mins and this was a good year or more ago when my GS was alot lower.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Mar 11 2009, 12:07 PM) [snapback]1489637[/snapback]
Yeah, with the Gamertag Recovery thing. If you sign out on your Xbox, goto the 'Sign In' part and press right and there will be a recovery part. The only problem is that the higher your gamerscore the longer it takes to recover. I went round a friends house so i could play online with him on the same console and to recover my account took about 20mins and this was a good year or more ago when my GS was alot lower.

I forgot about that. You still would lose all of your save files for each game and the DLC saved to that HD.
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 11 2009, 04:30 PM) [snapback]1489647[/snapback]
QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Mar 11 2009, 12:07 PM) [snapback]1489637[/snapback]

I forgot about that. You still would lose all of your save files for each game and the DLC saved to that HD.

Yup. I brought an Arcade last year after my launch console died for the 2nd time and i got a 258mb card with it so i use that to back-up my save files should anything happen.

I recently formatted my HDD and i had to redownload Lost and Damned, Shivering Isles, all the maps for Rainbow 6 Vegas (including the sequel). Took my bloody ages. Not to mention all of the Arcade games ive brought.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 11 2009, 02:03 PM) [snapback]1489622[/snapback]
A Yale University student from Ohio has filed a lawsuit seeking $1 million from US Airways for a video game console he says was taken from his luggage.

Twenty-one-year-old Jesse Maiman from suburban Cincinnati filed the suit Monday in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court.

He alleges that during a flight from New Haven, Conn., to Cincinnati in December, his Xbox 360 with a specialized hard drive disappeared from his luggage.

Maiman says he got what he called "an unconscionable run-around" from the airline. He's asking $1,700 for the loss of the gaming system and for the maximum damages allowable, or $1 million.

A US Airways spokeswoman said the airline was unaware of the suit but noted that the government limits liability for lost luggage to $3,300 per bag.

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this, but he'll probably only get $3,300 and some vouchers.
Vlad lives!
OptimumPx
$1 Million? For a XBox? Greedy little bastards, isn't he?

It'll never fly anyway...the max I think the Federal Government requires for lost luggage is $3,300...way more then the XBox is worth as it is. sleep.gif
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(OptimumPx @ Mar 11 2009, 04:29 PM) [snapback]1489709[/snapback]
It'll never fly anyway...the max I think the Federal Government requires for lost luggage is $3,300

That's mentioned in the original post.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 11 2009, 02:03 PM) [snapback]1489622[/snapback]

What a joke.... I don't think he should get anything...
OptimumPx
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 11 2009, 04:40 PM) [snapback]1489713[/snapback]
It'll never fly anyway...the max I think the Federal Government requires for lost luggage is $3,300

Didn't see that.

Still....he's a greedy little bastard. smile.gif
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(OptimumPx @ Mar 11 2009, 09:38 PM) [snapback]1489729[/snapback]
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 11 2009, 04:40 PM) [snapback]1489713[/snapback]

Didn't see that.

Still....he's a greedy little bastard. smile.gif

To be honest when i first read it i thought the person making the claim was just chatting shit so they he could make a quick buck (or several thousand bucks). I mean does the guy making the claim have proof that his xbox360 was in his luggage and made it onto the plane. Or does the airline have proof that it had gone missing.

Otherwise id pay for a flight and say that my xbox went missing, even if i didn't take it with me, if i knew i was going to make atleast 2000.

Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
At the same time, you'd be pissed off if they took your XBox.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.