Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Watchmen (SPOILERS)
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > General Discussion
Heartless
I just got back from the midnight screening. Amazing stuff, Rorschach was spot on. My wife said he and I are one in the same.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 6 2009, 04:27 AM) [snapback]1488813[/snapback]
Rorschach was spot on. My wife said he and I are one in the same.

I'm sure.

I was scheduled to go last night with some friends, passed out on the couch watching the Office.
Woke up at 12:17AM and was like, "Well, fuck."

I'll see it tomorrow or Sunday. IMAX, baby.
Indy
I wanna watch it but should I read the graphic novel first?
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(IndĽ @ Mar 6 2009, 05:17 PM) [snapback]1488851[/snapback]

No, if i were you id watch the film. The book takes quite a while to get through and might need a few rereads as its got ALOT of talking in it. Its got quite possibly the most amount of text in a graphic novel ive read in quite some time.

Watch the film so you get to know the characters and the story and what happens. Then read the novel so you can make sense of whats going on first time through. Im re-reading it at the moment and im still confused on somethings. Although ive noticed more things around this time like how Alan Moore hints at alot of whats going to happen early on with alot of subtext and reading through the lines.

This is why its the greatest graphic novel ever created.

One example of the hints is Tales of the Black Freighter (which apprently is only hinted at in the theatrical film) there are clues in the art (not nessicerely of the actual pages). Another one which i really like is in the book one of the panels is of a Fallout Shelter sign but the last word in the text says 'Isolation' and covers the Fallout part.

Its all subversive messages of what the themes are etc and of how characters are feeling. Or atleast thats how im seeing things.
Heartless
QUOTE(IndĽ @ Mar 6 2009, 12:17 PM) [snapback]1488851[/snapback]

Read it first; the movie it so much better having read and understood the material. You'll pick up on more of the references. It's an amazing work.
OptimumPx
I went to the 7pm showing here, it was awesome!

They certainly were able to almost all of the important stuff from the book into the movie...although I do wish they could have really included the two Bernies. From what I understand they'll be added back in on the DVD release along with [spoiler]Hollis Mason's death[/spoiler], so it's all good. happy.gif
ENVi3
I've read the novel and watched the trailer many times ... and the one thing that always puzzles me is this certain scene

it seems like it's Nite Owl at the snow palace in the end of the novel, and i'm pretty sure that scene is not in the novel, so what's up with it?

[spoiler]does he see Rorschach's death? or is it just part of the new ending that i should just wait and watch the movie to see?[/spoiler]
I've just been a little curious about that ....
Full Metal Monkey
I haven't seen the film either but i believe so.

It looks like he is standing at the entrance of [spoiler]Veidt's[/spoiler] palace and infront of him is the snowfield. But it wouldn't make sense because surely Dreiburg wouldn't let him die and so would want to stop him. Even though it would be fruitless as he wouldn't have the technology.

Unless its when he finds out what Veidt has done.

Apprently Snyder shot the original ending of the film also but when he showed the two versions of the film at test screenings the audience prefered Snyders version more. This is obviously from people who haven't read the book. Hopefully the directors cut version will feature the book ending.

This is from what ive read and im going to put it in spoiler because of people who haven't read the book or seen the film yet.

Film Ending[spoiler]
According to a website ive read Ozymandias simulates Dr.Manhattans nuclear explosions with devices he has all over the globe and blows up various cities.
[/spoiler]
Book Ending
[spoiler]In the book version its similar, only with a multidimensional alien squid. Which Ozymandias used to simulate an alien invasion in the hope of joining the US and USSR together to combat the global threat.[/spoiler]

So it doesn't sound too bad.
Bain
Why does anyone want to see this it looks fucking horrible and theres a fake bat man.
OptimumPx
QUOTE(Bain @ Mar 7 2009, 01:43 PM) [snapback]1489056[/snapback]
Why does anyone want to see this it looks fucking horrible and theres a fake bat man.

He's not supposed to be Batman...he was actually based on the Blue Beetle. In fact all of the Watchmen characters were based off of Charlton Comics characters.

Try reading the Watchmen....its very clear that Nite Owl is no Batman and Dan Dreiberg is no Bruce Wayne.
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(Bain @ Mar 7 2009, 06:43 PM) [snapback]1489056[/snapback]

I don't think you realise the importance of the book in question. It was THE book that turn the comic book industry on its head in mid-80's and to have a film adaptation will make film makers think differently on how they approach comic book adaptations.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight was only the start of a new era of comic book films. Watchmen has raised the bar of the comic book industry and now it will probably raise the bar for the comic book film industry.

Bain - Read the book atleast even if you don't like Comics this isnt treated as a comic book. Its more of a novel with panels. And there is no clear villain until the final 20 pages or so.

The book isn't about super-heroes saving people (theres only really one scene were innocents get saved) its about people who were forced into early retirement figuring out their lives whilst a couple of them are trying to figure out who killed one of their team members. Which is how the events unfold.
Bain
Yeah the problem is I never was a comic book guy and therefore, dont know about this. Also, the previews just look absolutely fucking retarded. But, Im not hero to start a fight. I just figured you guys probably were fans of this before it hit theaters so Ill go with that.
ENVi3
QUOTE(OptimumPx @ Mar 7 2009, 12:57 PM) [snapback]1489058[/snapback]

He's not supposed to be Batman...he was actually based on the Blue Beetle. In fact all of the Watchmen characters were based off of Charlton Comics characters.
The film did change the costumes by alot, some of them.
OptimumPx
QUOTE(X_ENVi3-_- @ Mar 7 2009, 02:54 PM) [snapback]1489077[/snapback]

Ya, but he's still the Blue Beetle at heart. smile.gif
ENVi3
QUOTE(OptimumPx @ Mar 7 2009, 02:24 PM) [snapback]1489081[/snapback]
QUOTE(X_ENVi3-_- @ Mar 7 2009, 02:54 PM) [snapback]1489077[/snapback]

Ya, but he's still the Blue Beetle at heart. smile.gif
you know i think i saw him recently, in Batman's new cartoon "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" except the person that usually gets in the Blue Beetle costume is one of the teenage replacements. The original one was featured as a mad scientist of some sort.
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 6 2009, 03:27 AM) [snapback]1488813[/snapback]
Rorschach was spot on. My wife said he and I are one in the same.

My wife said that Jeffery Dean Morgan and Robert Downey Jr. are one in the same.
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(Bain @ Mar 7 2009, 07:53 PM) [snapback]1489076[/snapback]
Yeah the problem is I never was a comic book guy and therefore, dont know about this. Also, the previews just look absolutely fucking retarded. But, Im not hero to start a fight. I just figured you guys probably were fans of this before it hit theaters so Ill go with that.

Oh yeah i know you weren't looking for a fight (you'd lose anyway tongue.gif) just letting you know that this isn't just another comic book adaptation.

You know when once every few years a film is released and its one of them monumental films (like how Star Wars was or Lord of the Rings, Terminator 2 etc) well i believe this is the comic book adaptation of them. Im seeing the film on monday before i head to my pub for my regular game of poker and i cannot wait.

Reviews have been generally mixed but the more respected critics were more favourable towards the movie.
Heartless
QUOTE(X_ENVi3-_- @ Mar 7 2009, 12:44 PM) [snapback]1489042[/snapback]
I've read the novel and watched the trailer many times ... and the one thing that always puzzles me is this certain scene

it seems like it's Nite Owl at the snow palace in the end of the novel, and i'm pretty sure that scene is not in the novel, so what's up with it?

[spoiler]does he see Rorschach's death? or is it just part of the new ending that i should just wait and watch the movie to see?[/spoiler]
I've just been a little curious about that ....

It's an added scene, so that instead of fucking, Nite Owl is more friends with Rorschach. They left out most of chapter 5, my favorite part. And Comedian was not anything to do with DC; he was a Captain America if he existed in real life, as an example. Though, Rorschach was like a crazy Mr. E or the Question.
TwoFacedTanner
Just saw the movie. It was better than I thought.
Full Metal Monkey, I apologize for doubting it.

And to all you people who said you didnt get the ending...why?
Its was clear to me.
Heartless
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Mar 14 2009, 10:56 PM) [snapback]1490312[/snapback]

Its was clear to me.

Have you read the book though? I agree it was clear for me as well, but I've also read the book. About a dozen times.
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 14 2009, 08:58 PM) [snapback]1490313[/snapback]
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Mar 14 2009, 10:56 PM) [snapback]1490312[/snapback]

Its was clear to me.

Have you read the book though? I agree it was clear for me as well, but I've also read the book. About a dozen times.

Honestly haven't.
I never really was into it, I may go read it now that I've seen the movie though.
Im guessing the book has a different ending.
Indy
What are the main differences between the novel and the movie? I've only seen the movie, but I feel that there was alot that I missed in the movie, small things.
DiO
QUOTE(X_ENVi3-_- @ Mar 7 2009, 03:54 PM) [snapback]1489077[/snapback]

I'm sure they had to change the costumes. The graphic novel was made a long time agao. Im sure the superhero costumes looked dated.

QUOTE(IndĽ @ Mar 15 2009, 09:01 AM) [snapback]1490346[/snapback]
What are the main differences between the novel and the movie? I've only seen the movie, but I feel that there was alot that I missed in the movie, small things.

\/

QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Mar 7 2009, 02:27 PM) [snapback]1489049[/snapback]
Film Ending[spoiler]
According to a website ive read Ozymandias simulates Dr.Manhattans nuclear explosions with devices he has all over the globe and blows up various cities.
[/spoiler]
Book Ending
[spoiler]In the book version its similar, only with a multidimensional alien squid. Which Ozymandias used to simulate an alien invasion in the hope of joining the US and USSR together to combat the global threat.[/spoiler]

OptimumPx
QUOTE(IndĽ @ Mar 15 2009, 09:01 AM) [snapback]1490346[/snapback]

Extended subplots about the newspaper vender Bernard and the kid reading the Black Freighter comic named Bernie, the two NYPD detectives, Dr. Malcolm Long and his wife Gloria, and the cabbie Joey and her girlfriend Aline. There are also more parts with Hollis Mason and Sally Jupiter, including [spoiler]the death of Hollis Mason[/spoiler].

When it comes to the main plot however its all mostly intact...with the exception of the disaster itself. While in the movie it's an energy pulse that destroys several cities around the world (New York, London, Moscow, Paris etc etc), in the book its a psychic pulse given off by the death of a giant squid like creature teleported into the middle of New York City that kills 3 million people right away and drives thousands more insane. It's mostly a trivial change when you get down to it as the result is the same in both versions...and the disaster itself was only created as a means to an end as it was.
Full Metal Monkey
I personally didnt like the film ending. It felt abit rushed and toned down.

The ending of the book was a head fuck. It took me a few reads to understand what it was all about. And i feel the movie should have been too.

The ending was the only major part of the film that annoyed me.
DiO
I don't know. A giant squid sounds kind of silly. I guess I'd have to read the book.
Heartless
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Mar 15 2009, 01:28 PM) [snapback]1490360[/snapback]
I don't know. A giant squid sounds kind of silly. I guess I'd have to read the book.

I assure you, there is nothing silly about a giant squid.
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 15 2009, 05:17 PM) [snapback]1490384[/snapback]
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Mar 15 2009, 01:28 PM) [snapback]1490360[/snapback]

Tentacled beings kinda scare me to begin with.

I'd like to point out that the direction and soundtrack of this movie is amazing.

The opening of the movie, with Bob Dylan's The Times They Are A'Changin brought a tear to my eye.
I didn't know these characters, I knew nothing about the story, but the song so well fit the time periods it was covering, an the events that happened.
God damn, I wish I could watch it again.

Also, Rorschach death was just pointless to me. He wasn't my favorite character, but his death was just sudden and unnecessary.
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Mar 15 2009, 11:44 PM) [snapback]1490385[/snapback]
QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 15 2009, 05:17 PM) [snapback]1490384[/snapback]

Tentacled beings kinda scare me to begin with.

I'd like to point out that the direction and soundtrack of this movie is amazing.

The opening of the movie, with Bob Dylan's The Times They Are A'Changin brought a tear to my eye.
I didn't know these characters, I knew nothing about the story, but the song so well fit the time periods it was covering, an the events that happened.
God damn, I wish I could watch it again.

Also, Rorschach death was just pointless to me. He wasn't my favorite character, but his death was just sudden and unnecessary.

I know exactly what you mean about the soundtrack and the Bob Dylan song. I felt moved when i heard it and watched the titles.

As for Rorschach's death, in the book i think it was supposed to be as insane as the attack on New York. And to give the readers a feeling that the Watchmen and superheroes are finished for good. The ending of the book and film (although the film doesn't convey it powerfully enough) is supposed to be shocking.
Heartless
Rorschach wanted to die, it's as simple as that. He didn't want to be responsible for betraying his only friends, even though it was going to happen anyways. Dr. Manhattan knew about the journals and that they were going to be printed in the New Frontiersman, so it didn't matter if Rorschach died or not. Rorschach realized that he could not coexist with the world that Veidt had created, and elected to remove himself from it. Dr. Manhattan does the same thing, only physically, as does Nite Owl when he changes his name and outward appearance.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 15 2009, 10:16 PM) [snapback]1490395[/snapback]
Rorschach wanted to die, it's as simple as that. He didn't want to be responsible for betraying his only friends, even though it was going to happen anyways. Dr. Manhattan knew about the journals and that they were going to be printed in the New Frontiersman, so it didn't matter if Rorschach died or not. Rorschach realized that he could not coexist with the world that Veidt had created, and elected to remove himself from it. Dr. Manhattan does the same thing, only physically, as does Nite Owl when he changes his name and outward appearance.

My head just exploded.

I saw this again on Saturday with my dad and picked up so many things I missed the first time. Things made more sense and I was able to get more involved in the story this time. I also recognized Rorschach as the guy holding the "End is Near" signs throughout the first parts of the movie.

The opening credits were probably the best part of the movie. I couldn't tell you a single name listed in the credits because I was so drawn into the imagery on the screen. Like Tanner said, the song was very powerful combined with the "comic panel come to life" scenes were simply amazing. In less than 5 minutes, Snyder managed to give the back stories of The Minutemen; from the beginning of the age of heroes, through their triumphs, their inevitable downfalls, and the next generation of Watchmen being ushered in.

The other amazing part of the opening credits were the way the heroes changed the course of history; from the Silouette beating the sailor to the nurse in Times Square; to the Comedian blowing JFK's brains out all over the back of the presidential limo from the grassy knoll. All that with Bob Dylan, very powerful. Award worthy.
Mr Pink
You kidding me? 75% of the movie was dull and boring, I couldn't care less for any of the characters or the story itself most of the time. It was more of a roll coaster ride for me since when the movie pulls you in with a lot of an awesome scenes such as Rorschach's time in jail or Dr. Manhattan back story it just pulls you back out. Although the songs played in the movie were awesome they didn't quite fit in there. A really good example is during the first love scene between Dan and Laurie. What was supposed to be a strong and an emotional moment as described in the comic book turned it into some kind of cheesy scene with Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah'. I think it would be an extremely difficult task for ANY director to make a good movie based on a graphical novel such as Watchmen.

Just my 2 cents.

Spoiler for Watchmen ending:
[spoiler]
I still think they should have kept the squid. Having Dr. Manhattan being responsible for the deaths of 3 million people defeats the purpose of the whole plan. The squid was as an external threat and there was no one to blame for it. That's why countries united in peace. On other hand in the movie Dr. Manhattan worked for U.S. government so despise Nixon denying that U.S. government had nothing to do with the deaths of all of these people it still some what holds U.S. responsible.[/spoiler]
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Mr Pink @ Mar 16 2009, 09:10 AM) [snapback]1490437[/snapback]
I still think they should have kept the squid. Having Dr. Manhattan being responsible for the deaths of 3 million people defeats the purpose of the whole plan. The squid was as an external threat and there was no one to blame for it. That's why countries united in peace. On other hand in the movie Dr. Manhattan worked for U.S. government so despise Nixon denying that U.S. government had nothing to do with the deaths of all of these people it still some what holds U.S. responsible.

I think the giant squid would have really thrown a lot of people off. Then again, they threw in that blue lynx at the end. That was a pretty big WTF moment.
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 16 2009, 02:05 PM) [snapback]1490441[/snapback]
QUOTE(Mr Pink @ Mar 16 2009, 09:10 AM) [snapback]1490437[/snapback]
I still think they should have kept the squid. Having Dr. Manhattan being responsible for the deaths of 3 million people defeats the purpose of the whole plan. The squid was as an external threat and there was no one to blame for it. That's why countries united in peace. On other hand in the movie Dr. Manhattan worked for U.S. government so despise Nixon denying that U.S. government had nothing to do with the deaths of all of these people it still some what holds U.S. responsible.

I think the giant squid would have really thrown a lot of people off. Then again, they threw in that blue lynx at the end. That was a pretty big WTF moment.

Yeah it annoyed me they didn't explain what Bubastis was. And she didn't get enough screen time either.

Bubastis was a creation of Veidt's with genetic engineering and DNA splicing. Which is how i think Veidt created the giant squid in the book.

The reason why i think the Squid should have been brought into the movie as ive stated before is from its subtle'ties (sp).

[spoiler]Next to the newsvendor is a building called The Institute for Interspacial Studies which is owned by Adrian Veidt. And thats where the beast appears from. And it would have made everything else in the film (although Tales of the Black Freighter WOULD have had to be in the film, again another product from Veidt) as when it all gels together it would make sense. Alan Moore hints at the fact that things from other dimensions or worlds is possible but through the artwork of Dave Gibbons.[/spoiler]
DiO
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 16 2009, 10:05 AM) [snapback]1490441[/snapback]
Then again, they threw in that blue lynx at the end. That was a pretty big WTF moment.

Lol. Yah.
Indy
Wow I really need to watch this again and read the novel loll.
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(IndĽ @ Mar 16 2009, 10:38 PM) [snapback]1490567[/snapback]
Wow I really need to watch this again and read the novel loll.

Read the book before you do anything and take in the artwork. And use your knowledge of what happens to read between the lines.
Heartless
The ending was only worse then the comics because it was important that Dan and Laurie had sex. By having sex, they represented a cohesive divorce from the lifestyle of super-heroes, thus negating the need for Rorschach as a character. He could not exist as he would have no purpose or function in the world. If Dan had cared as showed in the movie about Rorschach, then Dr. Manhattan wouldn't have killed him, since he wouldn't have wanted to die. See, the Comedian in the comic didn't smile during his death (unlike the movie) because he realized he could never have Laurie as a daughter. Manhattan realized he had no interest in the world because he didn't have Laurie. As soon as Dan realized that he did have Laurie, he could end his life as Nite Owl, but because Rorschach was all that was left of Kovacks, he had no options left. In the comics, Manhattan invokes doubt in Veidt, questioning his motives, and he realized that unlike the others, he had something to live for, but unlike Dan and Laurie, it wasn't positive. The movies ending was incomplete because it didn't end the characters.
TwoFacedTanner
So Adriane dies in the comic?
Heartless
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Mar 16 2009, 11:02 PM) [snapback]1490608[/snapback]

No, but in a sense, he does. Veidt has died on the inside, now fully realizing that he was the reason for the deaths of millions. See, Nite Owl was able to die, because Dan had found a new life with his wife. He could escape the misery and madness, as could Manhattan, who "died" by escaping to another world. Rorschach really did physically die. Veidt has to live with whatever is left of himself trying to play the hero when he knows he was responsible for the deaths of millions. His death is a spiritual one.
TwoFacedTanner
Interesting.

I liked Ozymandias until I figured out he killed The Comedian. I was sooo disappointed.
The Comedian was my favorite character.
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 17 2009, 03:07 AM) [snapback]1490613[/snapback]

No, but in a sense, he does. Veidt has died on the inside, now fully realizing that he was the reason for the deaths of millions. See, Nite Owl was able to die, because Dan had found a new life with his wife. He could escape the misery and madness, as could Manhattan, who "died" by escaping to another world. Rorschach really did physically die. Veidt has to live with whatever is left of himself trying to play the hero when he knows he was responsible for the deaths of millions. His death is a spiritual one.

I officially love you.

Your last two posts on here have explained exactly what ive been trying to say, only i find it hard to type it up. If i was having a one on one i would have been able to pretty much say it.

This is why i love Watchmen, people don't realise the depth of the characters at a first glance. It takes a few read throughs to understand it full though.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 16 2009, 11:07 PM) [snapback]1490613[/snapback]

I think it was inferred in the movie that Veigt died on the inside; he said he wanted to feel every death, see the horror he caused and feel it all. At the end of the movie, he's left alone in the Arctic. Even his CGI blue cat is dead. I guess everything turns around when he rebuilds the world...

As for Dan and Laurie, in the movie, it's clear that the Night Owl wasn't dead. He's busy working on Archie and getting the basement ready for action.

I need to read the comic I suppose.
FreemanXtreme
I think the ending is more appealing to the general public. If they went with the ending of the novel, I think it would have been a major WTF moment for anyone who wasn't familiar with the graphic novel and was just seeing the movie because it looked interesting.

I read an interview done with the writer of the script for the movie, and he said that the reason they changed the ending was because of 9/11... the studio didn't want to show the mass amounts of bloody bodies as depicted in the end of the novel. I think that's load of steaming bullshit. It's been over 7 years since 9/11 and we have already had movies specifically about 9/11 and yet having something that kills millions of people but is completely unrelated to planes crashing into buildings is "too soon"? Seriously?

The movie as a whole is so incredibly loyal to the source material that it honestly got me a little choked up a few times, the first time being during the opening credits. Unfortunately I could only see it in the regular theater since my IMAX theater is showing Madagascar 2 for some shitty reason... I could drive to the other IMAX theater in Pittsburgh but it's far and I'm just gonna keep hoping that they'll show it at my local IMAX after they're done with Madagascar 2.
Massacre
I really hope you get to see it in IMAX at some point. I think everyone should, it's so incredible. It made up for the IMAX being sold out when I went to see The Dark Knight.
FreemanXtreme
I just checked the IMAX website and it's only in IMAX for 6 more days... I'm gonna have to try to go see it in Pittsburgh tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.