Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top 50 Most Influential Video Games
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > General Discussion
PabloHoneyOle
GWR has recently ranked the top 50 Most Influential Video Games (I guess of all time).

Here's the list:
1. Super Mario Kart
2. Tetris
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Super Mario World
5. Zelda Ocarina of Time
6. Halo
7. Resident Evil IV
8. Final Fantasy XII
9. Street Fighter II
10. GoldenEye
11. Super Mario 64
12. Tomb Raider
13. Metal Gear Solid
14. Call of Duty 4
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
16. GTA San Andreas
17. Super Mario Bros
18. Zelda: A Link to the Past
19. Gran Turismo
20. Final Fantasy VII
21. Pro Evolution Soccer 4
22. The Orange Box
23. Lego Star Wars Complete Saga
24. Tekken 2
25. Wii Sports
26. Pokemon Red/Blue
27. Guitar Hero
28. Project Gotham Racing 4
29. Super Mario Galaxy
30. Resident Evil
31. Ico
32. Chrono Trigger
33. Gunstar Heroes
34. Soul Calibur
35. Advance Wars
36. Ridge Racer
37. Super Metroid
38. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
39. GTA Vice City
40. BioShock
41. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
42. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
43. God of War
44. Sega Rally Championship
45. Starfox 64
46. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
47. WarioWare Inc
48. Saturn Bomberman
49. Crash Bandicoot
50. Outrun 2

Discuss.

http://gamers.guinnessworldrecords.com/default.aspx
TwoFacedTanner
I cant believe that Oblivion is the only Elder Scrolls game on that list.
But 3 GTAs are.
FFS, GTAIII isnt even on there, and it started the series as most know it today.

Im upset. I think Im gonna go sit on my couch eating ice cream and watching sad movies.
Massacre
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Feb 26 2009, 04:09 PM) [snapback]1487233[/snapback]
But 3 GTAs are.
FFS, GTAIII isnt even on there, and it started the series as most know it today.

Im upset. I think Im gonna go sit on my couch eating ice cream and watching sad movies.

Find a video online called BME Pain Olympics. That's a sad movie.

I'd like to know why the original GTA is so high on the list. The first one was mostly ignored, it wasn't until GTA2 that people cared. GTA III should be number 2, then Tetris. Fucking Russian block stacking...
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Feb 26 2009, 04:09 PM) [snapback]1487233[/snapback]
But 3 GTAs are.

I think that the first GTA listed is III, they just didn't print it correctly. I mean come on, the FIRST GTA?

vs.

Also:
23. Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga

Glad to see this made it on there, can't say I agree on the ranking, but it probably is one of my favorite games of all time.
Massacre
Agreed. I also think Goldeneye should be bumped up to number 6, and Halo can be dropped considerably lower.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Massacre @ Feb 26 2009, 04:18 PM) [snapback]1487239[/snapback]
I also think Goldeneye should be bumped up to number 6, and Halo can be dropped considerably lower.

Agreed.

Halo wouldn't exist without Goldeneye. I'd rather play Goldeneye than the original Halo any day.
Massacre
Most FPS's (aside from Doom and a few others) wouldn't exist without Goldeneye. That game was huge for it's time, I still play it occasionally.

I've only briefly played Halo 2, and I didn't like it at all, plus it completely overshadowed San Andreas back in '04, which pissed me off. As a result, I hate the whole franchise.
Qdeathstar
Duke Nuke 3d should be up there...
Indy
Oblivion should be higher, and CoD2 > CoD4 imo
TheAnalogKid2112
Hooray for Vice City. That's the game that got me into video games.
Ex-PS Fanboy
I don't think mario kart should be first.
Massacre
QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Feb 26 2009, 06:48 PM) [snapback]1487289[/snapback]
I don't think mario kart should be first.

Holy shit, I didn't notice that was Mario Kart until you mentioned it, I thought it was Super Mario Brothers. That discredits the entire list, as if the complete randomness of the rest of the list's rankings didn't discredit it already.
Ex-PS Fanboy
agreed. Super Mario Deserves First. Unless that was a typo by Stoic.
Massacre
It's odd that Pong (actually the original version for the Magnavox Odyssey) is nowhere to be found? And where's Pitfall? And the original Legend of Zelda? Upon my fourth lookthrough, this entire list is bullshit.
Ex-PS Fanboy
OK, my breakdown of the list.
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Feb 26 2009, 08:47 PM) [snapback]1487228[/snapback]
GWR has recently ranked the top 50 Most Influential Video Games (I guess of all time).

Here's the list:
1. Super Mario Kart- Definatly not First
2. Tetris- Ok, maybe not this high
3. Grand Theft Auto- Fine
4. Super Mario World- Fine
5. Zelda Ocarina of Time- Never played
6. Halo- Shouldn't be in top ten
7. Resident Evil IV- I would say lower, but I don't like RE
8. Final Fantasy XII- Never Played
9. Street Fighter II- Fine
10. GoldenEye- Fine
11. Super Mario 64- Lowered, It didn't influence much to my knowledge
12. Tomb Raider- Fine
13. Metal Gear Solid- Fine
14. Call of Duty 4- Lowered, It has been done before in my opinion
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 2- Fine I guess
16. GTA San Andreas- Fine
17. Super Mario Bros- Deserves First
18. Zelda: A Link to the Past- Never Played
19. Gran Turismo- Fine, maybe a bit lower
20. Final Fantasy VII- Should be Before FFXII
21. Pro Evolution Soccer 4- Never played
22. The Orange Box- Fine
23. Lego Star Wars Complete Saga- Fine
24. Tekken 2- Bit Higher
25. Wii Sports- Fine
26. Pokemon Red/Blue- Fine
27. Guitar Hero- Fine
28. Project Gotham Racing 4- Fine
29. Super Mario Galaxy- Never Played
30. Resident Evil- Fine
31. Ico- Never heard of
32. Chrono Trigger- Never heard of
33. Gunstar Heroes- Never heard of
34. Soul Calibur- Don't think it should even be on this list
35. Advance Wars- lower
36. Ridge Racer- Never played
37. Super Metroid- Should be First Metroid
38. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- Never played
39. GTA Vice City- Shouldn't really be here
40. BioShock- uhhh... Good, I guess
41. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic- Never played
42. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening- Never played
43. God of War- Fine
44. Sega Rally Championship- Meh...
45. Starfox 64- Should be higher
46. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion- Good
47. WarioWare Inc- fine
48. Saturn Bomberman- Fine
49. Crash Bandicoot- Higher
50. Outrun 2- Never played

http://gamers.guinnessworldrecords.com/default.aspx

Kamahl
i agree with the games listed but not the order...

One thing that i noticed... 28. Project Gotham Racing 4, whe the fuck? if you wanna put a game like that, id say Need for speed deserved the spot BY FAR...
psychÝ
I'd like to know why the original GTA is so high on the list. The first one was mostly ignored, it wasn't until GTA2 that people cared. GTA III should be number 2, then Tetris. Fucking Russian block stacking...

Maybe because it was a revolution in gaming...

I can't see why BF1942 isn't on that list, mods for that game won best mod for like 2-3 years, plus the fact it was one of the first 64 player games with multiple different fields of play.

I can't see why Wii sports is so high, it is the hardware that makes that game good not the software.
1UP
That list made my stomach hurt...

Any list with goldeneye not being in the top three is discredited in my opinion... Then again I figure any list with a halo game in the top 10 is BS list. Really MGS should be higher, but that game never got the credit it deserved.
DiO
I can't understand why Mario kart got 1st. It was amazing but it was just a spin off racing title.
PabloHoneyOle
Submit YOUR top 10 list here.
Dr. Evil
QUOTE(Kamahl @ Feb 26 2009, 04:35 PM) [snapback]1487310[/snapback]
One thing that i noticed... 28. Project Gotham Racing 4, whe the fuck? if you wanna put a game like that, id say Need for speed deserved the spot BY FAR...

I agree...imo the NFS franchise did more for racing games than any other. Sure others have taken it to a new level but NFS started it all.

Mario Kart as the number 1? What kind of people made this list anyhow? No Mortal Kombat of any kind on the list...the first one should be on there. Street Fighter should be top 5.
CutThatCity
Metal gear sold, 13?? pah
Indy
Why isn't World of Warcraft on that list?
psychÝ
QUOTE(Ind• @ Feb 28 2009, 03:31 PM) [snapback]1487744[/snapback]
Why isn't World of Warcraft on that list?

Who knows the list is a bunch of crap to be honest, The Sims and Sim City should also be on their and Halo really isn't that greater game, the only reason it isn't classed as average is because it is on a console rather than PC.
bOnEs
what surprises me the most is that mario 64 isn't even in the top 10... that game should be at the top of the list... it's one of the most influential games ever... a game that changed the industry forever...

what's even more surprising is the games listed on there twice/three times... GTA only deserved one spot, same with zelda... and they completely forgot about the harvest moon series, which would probably be the only game on that list that doesn't involve killing or destroying something... ok i take that back, you don't do any of that in wii sports laugh.gif...

lists like these should be constructed by the opinions of numerous people's lists... not by one guy, or a small group of guys...
Indy
This is more a list of favourite game, not most influential.
psychÝ
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Feb 28 2009, 07:53 PM) [snapback]1487777[/snapback]
what's even more surprising is the games listed on there twice/three times... GTA only deserved one spot, same with zelda...

To be fair I can see why GTA is mentioned so many times, GTA1 really was the first game of its time, their was nothing like it, when GTA3 came out, once again there was nothing like it and despite completely changing style was still a great game. Vice City in terms of great games should be there as go name another grungy killing game where the sun is constantly blinding you every time you turn, I mean it is based in the happiest setting ever.

GTA SA has everything and there is nothing like it but it doesn't really have anything special about it but it does have a lot of new original features.

Zelda has multiple spots as once again it completely changed style from 2D to 3D, they are completely different games.

The list doesn't really seems to have been made by people who know that much about gaming, or at least all the genres.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
Did Mario Kart influence anything outside of racing games with weapons?

It had no influence on the world of RPGs and shooters, which must be the biggest broad genres in the sphere of videogaming. And there are definitely games which had more of an effect on driving games, of the realistic or at least based-on-real-life varities.

The top spot has to either go to

a) The first OK-selling game (Game and Watch or some shit)
b) The first FPS or modern style third person shooter which was widely played (Doom or something)
c) GTA3 (the concept of freedom is the most important advance in gaming in at least the last 2 generations)

The title of the list prettymuch excludes anything but that, imo.

PS MGS kicks ass and I would love to put it at 1. I'd say #2 though, because every fucking game has "stealth elements" now. Even Burnout 3 probably had some.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.