Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PS3 2.7 Update rumours
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Other Games > Other Games
DiO
QUOTE("http://www.psu.com/PS3-firmware-27-details-uncovered-News--a006493-p0.php")
We know that we shouldn't always trust what we read on forums, but hey, we all like a good rumor. Over at GameTrailers, a poster who supposedly works in Sony's Research & Development department claims that the following is a list of the new features we can expect from the next PlayStation 3 firmware update, 2.7.

Included in the list of enhancements is the option to send voice messages to users on your friends list, as well as being able to send messages while in-game.

Check it out:

Friends List:
- Voice Messaging is now available as an alternative to text after selecting a user on the friends list. Voice message recordings are capped at 30 seconds.
- Home Integration: Saved PlayStation Home avatar photos can be selected as photo ID for Gamer Card/Friends List.
- Trophy number and Gamer Level are listed under Friend names for quick reference.

Gamer Card & Trophies:
- Gamer Card layout has been changed to more closely resemble the PlayStation Store aesthetic.
- Past Trophy information can be viewed in detail by selecting "Recent Trophy History" option.
- Newly acquired trophies auto-sync in the background
- Server infrastructure for Trophies has been optimized. Resulting in faster retrieval time for Gamer Card and Trophy information.

In-Game XMB:
- Loading time for In-Game XMB has been drastically reduced, resulting in a more seamless in-game experience.
- "Theme settings" options while in-game is now available, allowing custom themes to be applied to the In-Game XMB.
- Internet Browser can now be accessed while in-game.
- Voice messaging and voice chat options can be used while in-game.
- Options that cannot be used in the XMB during game sessions are grayed out (but still selectable) to eliminate user accessibility confusion.

Too good to be true? We won't find out for sure until Sony gives us the official verdict.

Voice messaging and voice chat in game. Fucking sick!
TheAnalogKid2112
YES!!!!!!!!! Every one of those sounds awesome. I can't wait to send vulgar voice messages to everybody.
TreeFitty
Awesome.

if it's true...
Kamahl
good stuff, nothing i really wanted but still good
asthenia
Where's Kuwong? He needs to tell us all the Xbox had this ages ago...

I love how sometimes Sony will release an update that's like oh SNAP now that's fresh and new! and then we get rumours of an update like this where it's just like "man that's cool, but we should have had this time ago..."
Pieface
Friends List:
- Voice Messaging is now available as an alternative to text after selecting a user on the friends list. Voice message recordings are capped at 30 seconds.
- Home Integration: Saved PlayStation Home avatar photos can be selected as photo ID for Gamer Card/Friends List.
- Trophy number and Gamer Level are listed under Friend names for quick reference.

Gamer Card & Trophies:
- Gamer Card layout has been changed to more closely resemble the PlayStation Store aesthetic.
- Past Trophy information can be viewed in detail by selecting "Recent Trophy History" option.
- Server infrastructure for Trophies has been optimized. Resulting in faster retrieval time for Gamer Card and Trophy information.

[..]In-Game XMB:
-Voice messaging and voice chat options can be used while in-game.

Does sound like what Xbox has had since release tbh. I shouldn't see why it can't be true, but its taken a while for them to do it.

And I can't use my headset on my PS3. It's like the most uncomftorble headset ever. Got it with Warhawk.
asthenia
Don't fuckin' saunter in here thinking you can do Kuwong's job.
FuddMan
Seeing as you PS3ers like to whine about how Microsoft is a money-grabbing monopolist...

LOL

You've never had voice chat or voice messages? Fuck. We've only had it for more than 3 years.
asthenia
I don't see how that comes into it, Duff. Money grabbing monopolism and voice chat, kinda different... And it's not just those "PS3ers" who whine about it, we "Xboxers" whine about it too. Cause Microsoft fucking suck, I don't care if I buy their consoles, computers and games, they do fucking suck.
angeal18
Heard about this a couple weeks ago. Should be pretty sweet but might take awile.
bOnEs
i like the idea of using the internet browser while in-game... might of been more useful with fallout 3, rather than running into the computer room to look up tips... maybe it'll be useful for oblivion biggrin.gif...

i'd like them to allow you to place the browser in the background when online if you get a message from your friends... i think right now, you have to quit the internet browser just to see your friends list and messages...

voice messages seems gay... when the hell will i ever use that? i got no problem typing out a little message...

all in all though, seems like a good update... the only problem is, how much memory will this update use up? i'm kinda sick of being forced to update these things and use up more of my hard drive space, which is getting pretty limited as it stands now...
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Feb 21 2009, 10:43 AM) [snapback]1485906[/snapback]
i think right now, you have to quit the internet browser just to see your friends list and messages...

No, you can access your XMB from your internet browser.

voice messages seems gay... when the hell will i ever use that? i got no problem typing out a little message...

Get ready for billions of soundboards/Rick Roll messages.

all in all though, seems like a good update... the only problem is, how much memory will this update use up? i'm kinda sick of being forced to update these things and use up more of my hard drive space, which is getting pretty limited as it stands now...

I hope not too much, cause i have under 3 gigs left and don't have the money to upgrade right now..
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Feb 21 2009, 06:43 PM) [snapback]1485906[/snapback]

You'd be suprised by the amount of people who use this feature on the 360.

I dont use it so much any more now that i have a Chatpad but still its a good feature for your PS3 owners.
Kamahl
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Feb 21 2009, 06:53 AM) [snapback]1485869[/snapback]
Seeing as you PS3ers like to whine about how Microsoft is a money-grabbing monopolist...

LOL

You've never had voice chat or voice messages? Fuck. We've only had it for more than 3 years.

Actually, in the XMB there has always been a voice chat option, its just that it doesnt work when you are playing a game.

And as far as i know, you are paying for it, we arent and this doesnt seem like its worth the $50 per year difference.
FuddMan
QUOTE(Kamahl @ Feb 21 2009, 09:25 PM) [snapback]1485929[/snapback]

LOL

Actually, in the XMB there has always been a voice chat option, its just that it doesnt work when you are playing a game.

And as far as i know, you are paying for it, we arent and this doesnt seem like its worth the $50 per year difference.

Nope, voice chat and messaging is part of the free silver account, always has been.
1UP
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Feb 21 2009, 07:53 AM) [snapback]1485869[/snapback]

LOL

Any company would do that, just Microsoft has an easier time doing it because of their assloads of moneyz, especially troublesome in a failing economy which will make it even easier to force near monopoly. ohmy.gif That's right I'll act like I know what I'm talking about.

Voice chat isn't something I'd use, so I myself wouldn't care if it was added or not. Unlike most people I go and play video games with friends at their houses allot instead of online, allot more priceless moments when your there with your friends. o_O

Then again the convenience of such features is always a good thing.
Pieface
QUOTE(1UP @ Feb 21 2009, 10:02 PM) [snapback]1485942[/snapback]

LOL

Any company would do that, just Microsoft has an easier time doing it because of their assloads of moneyz, especially troublesome in a failing economy which will make it even easier to force near monopoly. ohmy.gif That's right I'll act like I know what I'm talking about.

Voice chat isn't something I'd use, so I myself wouldn't care if it was added or not. Unlike most people I go and play video games with friends at their houses allot instead of online, allot more priceless moments when your there with your friends. o_O

If I'm correct, the computer games industry isn't suffering too badly due to the recession. Might be the rest of Sony though.

Also the Voice Chat feature has been with the Xbox since Xbox Live was released on the original console.
Kamahl
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Feb 21 2009, 05:01 PM) [snapback]1485941[/snapback]

LOL

Nope, voice chat and messaging is part of the free silver account, always has been.

lol

wow, you can talk to your friend but you cant play with him, it doesnt seem useful to me.
FuddMan
QUOTE(Kamahl @ Feb 22 2009, 01:05 AM) [snapback]1486008[/snapback]
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Feb 21 2009, 05:01 PM) [snapback]1485941[/snapback]

LOL

lol

wow, you can talk to your friend but you cant play with him, it doesnt seem useful to me.

Well apparently neither of you have been able to private voice chat and play at the same time for a number of years now so there must be some use.
Full Metal Monkey

Try getting a group of friends together and playing online as a team without voice chat. Its neigh on impossible. To be honest, im suprise the PS3 hasn't got voice chat as a default feature. Now days its a must for play online.

Even PC games (im talking back in the day with MoHAA etc) we all used to use a program called Team Speak and talk to each other or listen so we could play without having to type as during it large firefight its hard to do so. Plus its easier to give commands etc.
Ex-PS Fanboy
I hope the net is available in game, so that way I don't have to print off 7 page hidden package maps.
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Feb 21 2009, 08:33 PM) [snapback]1486096[/snapback]
Try getting a group of friends together and playing online as a team without voice chat. Its neigh on impossible. To be honest, im suprise the PS3 hasn't got voice chat as a default feature. Now days its a must for play online.

I think you're misunderstanding. The PS3 does have voice chat. You can talk to each other during games. The thing we're missing is one guy in Fallout chatting with another guy in Call of Duty. Otherwise, if we're in the same game, we can voice chat each other.
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(TheAnalogKid2112 @ Feb 22 2009, 05:21 AM) [snapback]1486149[/snapback]
QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Feb 21 2009, 08:33 PM) [snapback]1486096[/snapback]

I think you're misunderstanding. The PS3 does have voice chat. You can talk to each other during games. The thing we're missing is one guy in Fallout chatting with another guy in Call of Duty. Otherwise, if we're in the same game, we can voice chat each other.

Ah ok.

Yeah i misunderstood. I was thinking i swear you guys had the ability to talk ingame otherwise why would Sony sell a headset? Talking to other people who are in different games is a great feature for you guys. I use it all the time to chat to friends (saved me alot on my phone bill).
FuddMan
QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Feb 22 2009, 07:00 AM) [snapback]1486180[/snapback]
I use it all the time to chat to friends (saved me alot on my phone bill).

And the new party feature (8-way chat) is absolutely brilliant.
asthenia
Take your Xbox advert elsewhere Duffman, you're meant to be an Admin.
FuddMan
QUOTE(The Asthenia @ Feb 22 2009, 01:23 PM) [snapback]1486207[/snapback]
Take your Xbox advert elsewhere Duffman, you're meant to be an Admin.

But still a member of a laidback forum at the same time. If I can't say these things after all the crap from PS3 owners whining about Microsoft pre-LaD release, no one can.
Roman
Voice chat? Is that supposed to be revolutionary? $499 and you get what you pay for... my ass.
1UP
QUOTE(Pieface @ Feb 21 2009, 07:20 PM) [snapback]1485968[/snapback]

LOL

If I'm correct, the computer games industry isn't suffering too badly due to the recession. Might be the rest of Sony though.

Also the Voice Chat feature has been with the Xbox since Xbox Live was released on the original console.

Seems like more of a smoke screen to me. MANY devs have shut down lately. Games may be selling but the industry as a whole IS being effected in my opinion. You and Duff always mention Sony every chance you guys get recently? Duff only pointing out people whining for a PS3 version. I've said countless times how much I want the DLC on PC It's not worth it if its for a console. All redundant whining about whiners. o_O

In all seriousness it drives me crazy sometimes. The way people say MS is evil anytime it has to do with windows... Completely different when its the 360 somehow. Also I am betting Sony is being careful now, because of the success of the PS2, they thought they could make a more expensive system that's capable of more, but as we've seen it was to much and at a bad time, they was not invincible like they probably thought. Just because they are last this gen doesn't mean they are not selling "enough" consoles. They are doing just fine.
asthenia
I know more Xbox'ers whining about M$ recently than anyone else.

I love you 1UP, it might take me one or two reads to understand what you're saying sometimes, but you make alotta sense.
Pieface
QUOTE(The Asthenia @ Feb 22 2009, 05:54 PM) [snapback]1486231[/snapback]

I love you 1UP, it might take me one or two reads to understand what you're saying sometimes, but you make alotta sense.

I don't mind Microsoft that much. All I use at the moment that is Microsoft is Office and the Xbox, both of which I think is better than anything else. I never go on my PC, Macbook is easier to just go on. Haven't played PC games that much.
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE(Roman @ Feb 22 2009, 08:46 AM) [snapback]1486213[/snapback]
Voice chat? Is that supposed to be revolutionary? $499 and you get what you pay for... my ass.
You're a wise man, Roman. Keep thinking this way.
bOnEs
why people bash one or the other is beyond me... can't we all just accept that we're playing next gen systems and move on? not one is better than the other... people buy systems because of either history, games, or what their friends have...

both are very capable next gen systems, saying one is better than the other is just your opinion, which doesn't mean much... the truth is, they're pretty even... the only difference is price... and some of us don't mind pony'ing up some extra currency for unique features and other technical specs...

in the end, the price will even itself out when xbox360-2 comes out and the PS3 is still as capable as the new 360...
DiO
Why the fuck does every topic have to turn into a system debate? Well, at least the conversation for the most part, is intelligent.
asthenia
Because systems have dedicated fans. Some are faggots about it, some have smart views on the other system and why they don't like it, and some just enjoy the systems from both developers.

I love to shit on M$ fans and Sony fans all the times, I can't stand people who are like oh FUCK THAT SYSTEM CAUSE I DON'T LIKE IT I HOPE IT DIES!
1UP
QUOTE(The Asthenia @ Feb 22 2009, 01:54 PM) [snapback]1486231[/snapback]

I could lie by saying "that's the charm of it", but really I just have intelligent thoughts that I can't explain worth a shit. smile.gif

QUOTE(Asthenia)
FUCK THAT SYSTEM CAUSE I DON'T LIKE IT I HOPE IT DIES!

This is something I nitpick at, if that happens an we only have one console we wont get any good games. Suppose that means if gamers get their wishes it would destroy gaming. sad.gif

Might I ask we all get back to topic at hand, I am sure there is a RnR topic we can argue in somewhere.lol
TheAnalogKid2112
Well, the update is out! Sadly, no voice messaging. What we get is in-game live text chat with up to 16 people, a copy+paste text feature, and some kind of audio leveling feature.
Oh, and this stuff, copied from the PS blog:

Friends list on the XMB (XrossMediaBar)

* Sort your friends via their online status
* Attach larger files to the messages you send to your friends (file size will increase from 1MB to 3MB)

Video delivery service on PlayStation Store

* Video files you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store can be backed up to an external storage device and then restored to PS3’s internal hard drive for playback – so you can clear up space on your hard drive and then restore the video anytime in the future
* Videos you’ve purchased for PSP (PlayStation Portable) system can now be transferred to PS3 for playback
bOnEs
in-game live text chat?! isn't that the same as sending a normal message?! huh.gif...

damn updates, eating up my hard drive space for a bunch of features i don't care about... there was only one update worth my time and that was the one that gave you the ability to send messages while playing games... the rest have been a waste of my time and space...

doesn't it already do this?! the friends that are online are always listed first in my friends list...
ViceMan
Maybe i'll turn my PS3 on to install this, just for the lols.
DiO
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Apr 2 2009, 10:42 AM) [snapback]1493539[/snapback]
in-game live text chat?! isn't that the same as sending a normal message?! huh.gif...

Have fun sending the same message to 16 people.
bOnEs
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Apr 2 2009, 11:28 AM) [snapback]1493543[/snapback]

so, it's like chatting with everyone who is online? everyone can see your message?! that's gay...
DiO
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Apr 2 2009, 12:25 PM) [snapback]1493551[/snapback]
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Apr 2 2009, 11:28 AM) [snapback]1493543[/snapback]

so, it's like chatting with everyone who is online? everyone can see your message?! that's gay...

Then don't use it.
The Awesome One
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Feb 21 2009, 03:46 AM) [snapback]1485785[/snapback]
QUOTE("http://www.psu.com/PS3-firmware-27-details-uncovered-News--a006493-p0.php")
We know that we shouldn't always trust what we read on forums, but hey, we all like a good rumor. Over at GameTrailers, a poster who supposedly works in Sony's Research & Development department claims that the following is a list of the new features we can expect from the next PlayStation 3 firmware update, 2.7.

Included in the list of enhancements is the option to send voice messages to users on your friends list, as well as being able to send messages while in-game.

Check it out:

Friends List:

Gamer Card & Trophies:

In-Game XMB:
- Loading time for In-Game XMB has been drastically reduced, resulting in a more seamless in-game experience.
- "Theme settings" options while in-game is now available, allowing custom themes to be applied to the In-Game XMB.
- Internet Browser can now be accessed while in-game.
- Voice messaging and voice chat options can be used while in-game.
- Options that cannot be used in the XMB during game sessions are grayed out (but still selectable) to eliminate user accessibility confusion.

Too good to be true? We won't find out for sure until Sony gives us the official verdict.

Voice messaging and voice chat in game. Fucking sick!

Sounds exactly like a xbox to me. I never really use that stuff on my xbox, so i dont really need it for my PS3 either. Is it optional?
Ex-PS Fanboy
You have to download it. But you don't have to use it.
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Apr 2 2009, 07:42 AM) [snapback]1493539[/snapback]

You'll have to see the interface. It's much easier, better looking, and fun to do. It's all live too. The text that they send also pops up at the top where the messages come up. You can press the XMB and it'll take you right to the chat. Well, I can't really explain it but I really enjoy it. I'll send you one next time you're on.

QUOTE(bOnEs @ Apr 2 2009, 07:42 AM) [snapback]1493539[/snapback]

doesn't it already do this?! the friends that are online are always listed first in my friends list...

This is a pointless, but sometimes handy feature. It sorts the offline people by the amount of time they've been signed off, the earliest-signed-off at the top. It's good if you're cleaning up your idle friends from your list.
bOnEs
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Apr 2 2009, 03:38 PM) [snapback]1493563[/snapback]
Then don't use it.

gee really?!? i don't have to use it?! thanks captain obvious!! laugh.gif...

QUOTE(analog)
This is a pointless, but sometimes handy feature. It sorts the offline people by the amount of time they've been signed off, the earliest-signed-off at the top. It's good if you're cleaning up your idle friends from your list.

can you turn that feature off? because, i'd rather have my friends list sorted by alphabetical order...
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Apr 2 2009, 02:23 PM) [snapback]1493581[/snapback]
QUOTE(analog)

can you turn that feature off? because, i'd rather have my friends list sorted by alphabetical order...

Just checked. Unfortunately, you either have them sorted by status(online people in abc, offline people in chrono,) or sorted by name, which scatters online/offline people. That's kinda fr00ty.
bOnEs
i'll see what this is all about when i get online this weekend... for the most part, the new update doesn't sound worth it to me... of course, most of the updates don't bring anything worthy to the table for me anyways... just a waste of space...

but, for those wanting the PSN to resemble xbox live, they're close to getting their wishes...
TheAnalogKid2112
I took a couple pics in a text chat yesterday, just so you guys could see it. I'm lazy though so I'll get around to it..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.