Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GTA IV and 1080p
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > Hints N' Finds
Mekstizzle
Well I'm not sure if you guys have noticed this or not, but on the PS3, even if you have a 1080p enabled TV and also have the 1080p option enabled in the display settings of your PS3, GTA IV will still run in 720p on your TV. For some reason the PS3 decides to forgo the 1080p option and output in 720p (I know this, as my TV states whether it's running in 720 or 1080p). Even if your TV, Game and Console all can run in 1080p.

So the way to get around that is to turn off 720p (and 1080i) in the Display options on the PS3 (probably the same for the X360) and basically force the game to run in 1080p. For me, it resulted in a MUCH better picture. Before, when I first bought my HDTV, GTA looked awful on it, it honestly looked better on my 15" SDTV in 576i, but now that I've basically disabled the option for the PS3 to put out 1080i or 720p, the game is now running in 1080p, and it looks much better.

Now before you guys tell me that the game is being rendered in a lower resolution, yeah I'm aware of that, I know that GTA IV on the PS3 isn't even being rendered in 720p, something like 620 or something. But I still noticed a big difference in forcing the PS3 and my TV to upscale it into 1080p.

This can also work in a few other games where you can "force" 1080p, mostly it says on the back whether it can or can't, and mostly it does it automatically but for some cases, like GTA, you have to force it to get the desired resolution. If you try and force a game that simply can't run in 1080p, then it'll run in default 576/480 SD mode, so you'll have to go back to the options and turn on 720p or 1080i

Well I'm just posting this because of the big increase in picture/graphics quality, seriously this game looked like shit when I first played it on my HDTV. You know that shitty effect where it looks like the games graphics is watercolour painting in motion, well it doesn't look like that anymore angry.gif thumbup.gif

Also get a good sound setup, feels like I'm playing a different game and all I did was add a half decent DELL subwoofer from 2001 to my setup
mjw911
yeah when i had a ps3 i was excited for the 1080p relolution and then when there wasnt any i got hella pissed. so i went with the good ol' xbox 360 smile.gif
Full Metal Monkey
You should post this in the Xbox forum of AVForums.

Thats the sort of helpful stuff they like.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/

EDIT: Ooo 200th post!
1UP
QUOTE(Mekstizzle @ Feb 19 2009, 09:45 PM) [snapback]1485403[/snapback]
Well I'm not sure if you guys have noticed this or not, but on the PS3, even if you have a 1080p enabled TV and also have the 1080p option enabled in the display settings of your PS3, GTA IV will still run in 720p on your TV. For some reason the PS3 decides to forgo the 1080p option and output in 720p (I know this, as my TV states whether it's running in 720 or 1080p). Even if your TV, Game and Console all can run in 1080p.

So the way to get around that is to turn off 720p (and 1080i) in the Display options on the PS3 (probably the same for the X360) and basically force the game to run in 1080p. For me, it resulted in a MUCH better picture. Before, when I first bought my HDTV, GTA looked awful on it, it honestly looked better on my 15" SDTV in 576i, but now that I've basically disabled the option for the PS3 to put out 1080i or 720p, the game is now running in 1080p, and it looks much better.

Now before you guys tell me that the game is being rendered in a lower resolution, yeah I'm aware of that, I know that GTA IV on the PS3 isn't even being rendered in 720p, something like 620 or something. But I still noticed a big difference in forcing the PS3 and my TV to upscale it into 1080p.

This can also work in a few other games where you can "force" 1080p, mostly it says on the back whether it can or can't, and mostly it does it automatically but for some cases, like GTA, you have to force it to get the desired resolution. If you try and force a game that simply can't run in 1080p, then it'll run in default 576/480 SD mode, so you'll have to go back to the options and turn on 720p or 1080i

Well I'm just posting this because of the big increase in picture/graphics quality, seriously this game looked like shit when I first played it on my HDTV. You know that shitty effect where it looks like the games graphics is watercolour painting in motion, well it doesn't look like that anymore angry.gif thumbup.gif

Also get a good sound setup, feels like I'm playing a different game and all I did was add a half decent DELL subwoofer from 2001 to my setup

Wow cool, I didn't have this problem with GTA IV but I did have it with other games. I'll give this a try on those other games. tongue.gif
Kuwong
PS3 does all games at 720p, and while its said to be better as it's a native resolution, i find it rather bullshitish, as upscaling works wonders on everything I've upscaled so far. Good tips though Mek, thanks.
asthenia
It does not do it with all games.
I Made Your Mom In GMod
I think before release Rockstar said that IV renders at something like 575p and then the system just upscales the image to your TV's native resolution.
Mekstizzle
QUOTE(mjw911 @ Feb 22 2009, 12:26 AM) [snapback]1485994[/snapback]
yeah when i had a ps3 i was excited for the 1080p relolution and then when there wasnt any i got hella pissed. so i went with the good ol' xbox 360 smile.gif

lol wat

The point is, that the game is supposed to be in 720p, but it allows for the upscaling of that image into 1080p. As far as I know both the 360 and the PS3 support 1080p, and this game can be upscaled into 1080p, but it has to be forced into doing that like I explained otherwise it'll just run in 720p mode on your TV.

The main thing is that it results in a better picture. Quite a few games can do it, and like I said if it can't be done then it reverts to the default 576 or 480 mode. Which will then mean you'll have to go back and turn 720p back on so that, at least you'll be able to run it in 720p.
Apocolyptic Diety
The only game of mine that will go into 1080p is MGS 4, and it looks sick at the resolution. But gta IV looks all pixely, mostly at the facial expressions. How do you find the option to 'force' it into 1080p? I've looked in the display settings and coudn't find it. unsure.gif
DuPz0r
This does actually work, but it doesn't make a huge difference. Everything seems sharper and higher-res, but that is it. Nothing to get really excited about.
Basicly you just goto display settings, click HDMI then untick 720p and 1080i and leave 1080p ticked. and it will work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.