Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Xbox Live to Go Free for Lost and Damned Release
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Important Information > Site News
FuddMan
Kotaku is reporting that owners of Grand Theft Auto IV will be able to play on Xbox Live free of charge (i.e. with no Gold membership) from February 17th to the 22nd as a way of celebrating the launch of the Lost and Damned downloadable content pack.

Microsoft hasn't made Live free for this long on the Xbox 360 before, so if you only have a Silver account, make sure you take advantage of this charitable gesture - but only if you play GTA IV or the LaD DLC; no free Halo I'm afraid!

[Source: Kotaku]
PabloHoneyOle
This is a great idea and a great way to sell some subscriptions to people who've maybe never played online.

I think at this point in time, if people don't have a Gold account, they probably can't afford it or don't have their Xbox connected to a network.

I agree it's a nice gesture though. Servers are probably going to be slammed all week.
FuddMan
Yeah, the servers will probably be crammed to hell, but it wasn't that bad when GTA IV was released so it should be okay. Considering they didn't run a beta, things went very smoothly indeed tbh - Gears 2 shows how bad it can be if you don't test the code. I'll probably be busy in singleplayer anyway though, unless the new multiplayer modes are totally different from the existing ones.
DiO
It should be free always.
bOnEs
i'm sure microsnot had this planned ever since they paid $50,000,000 for a $20 add-on...

it's a nice gesture though... but, always free is always better, right D-O? biggrin.gif...
Roman
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Feb 10 2009, 09:26 PM) [snapback]1483187[/snapback]
i'm sure microsnot had this planned ever since they paid $50,000,000 for a $20 add-on...

it's a nice gesture though... but, always free is always better, right D-O? biggrin.gif ...

No it shouldn't always be free. You pay for quality and you get quality. If you don't pay then you get shit (see PS3). As a rich bastard I have both consoles, and I am speaking from personal experience. The only shit I play on the PS3 is their exclusives, every other game especially if it is online I play on Xbox.
bOnEs
QUOTE(Roman @ Feb 10 2009, 10:44 PM) [snapback]1483250[/snapback]
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Feb 10 2009, 09:26 PM) [snapback]1483187[/snapback]

it's a nice gesture though... but, always free is always better, right D-O? biggrin.gif ...

No it shouldn't always be free. You pay for quality and you get quality. If you don't pay then you get shit (see PS3). As a rich bastard I have both consoles, and I am speaking from personal experience. The only shit I play on the PS3 is their exclusives, every other game especially if it is online I play on Xbox.

that's like, your opinion, man... everyone who has a PS3, loves the free online gaming...
Qdeathstar
I dont know, i recently bought an xbox360 for DLC for fallout 3 and GTA 4, and it seems lame compared to the ps3.

The Xbox is louder, the controller requires double a batteries and theres no internal wifi...

Also, i find the menu cluttered.

but 40 bucks for an entire year of online play isn't that much tbh.

Im not a big fan of "microtransactions" though.
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(Qdeathstar @ Feb 11 2009, 11:56 AM) [snapback]1483344[/snapback]
I dont know, i recently bought an xbox360 for DLC for fallout 3 and GTA 4, and it seems lame compared to the ps3.

The Xbox is louder, the controller requires double a batteries and theres no internal wifi...

Also, i find the menu cluttered.

but 40 bucks for an entire year of online play isn't that much tbh.

Im not a big fan of "microtransactions" though.

I think you're talking about the XBL Marketplace.
I'll admit, not much of a fan of that.

That gametrailers video for the lost and damned that you can watch at game trailers for FREE, they charge you 150 MSP for SD and 250 MSP for HD.

Re-fucking-tarded.
6 shooter
QUOTE(Qdeathstar @ Feb 11 2009, 06:56 PM) [snapback]1483344[/snapback]

Install GTA IV on the hard drive, then the console will be as silent as a dead squirrel.
DuPz0r
Online fees on a console still exist in this day and age... IT SHOULD BE FREE ALWAYS (as stated by my favourite chum DO)!
Mekstizzle
It'd be funny if they fuck up and L&F ends up free for everyone to download for £0.00, so much for that $50 million
victimsfamily
QUOTE(DuPz0rô @ Feb 12 2009, 01:56 PM) [snapback]1483485[/snapback]
Online fees on a console still exist in this day and age... IT SHOULD BE FREE ALWAYS (as stated by my favourite chum DO)!

Agreed. N/T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.