Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Noticed This Bloody Ages Ago
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > GTA IV
WHERE_IS_MIANUS
I noticed this bloody ages ago of course. We all did. How come there's no Army in GTA 4? We had the Army in all the other GTA games but why not in GTA 4? Did the Army turn into chicken shits or did they bugger off to a long-term orgy?
Massacre
Rockstar's on this "realism" kick. When's the last time the military was called in to stop some guy on a rampage in New York? It bugs me not having a tank parked in front of my safehouse, but I appreciate the realism.
OptimumPx
I think they took the army out because it didn't fit in with GTA IV's realism for the entire US Army to be chasing after one man in a major city with tanks and troop carriers.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(WHERE_IS_MIANUS @ Feb 9 2009, 03:25 AM) [snapback]1482718[/snapback]
I noticed this bloody ages ago of course. We all did. How come there's no Army in GTA 4? We had the Army in all the other GTA games but why not in GTA 4? Did the Army turn into chicken shits or did they bugger off to a long-term orgy?

theres no army base inside New York City proper... THATS WHY!
Heartless
QUOTE(Qdeathstar @ Feb 9 2009, 12:05 AM) [snapback]1482736[/snapback]

Yeah there is - Fort Hamilton. It's a support post for Reserve and National Guard, for military support of the greater NYC area in case of direct contact with a foreign presence or the occurrence of a natural disaster. However, they aren't really that well trained or looked after, and would only serve as meat shields. Regiments from Fort Drum are on call to be inside NYC within the hour, if needed. And immigrant running about with an RPG? That's a call for the military, if nothing else. Besides - if realism was the kick, then the police would never kill an illegal alien.
TreeFitty
Not to mention the other army bases that are now used for offices or other support roles (and then there is all the rest that are parks). Won't see tanks rolling out of them but they are there. Fort Totten in Queens is used by the Feds and NYC for offices and training facilities.

Plus, occaisionally you will see Army or other military vehicles in the city. I saw a MTVR sitting in Chinatown not too long ago. Probably a reserve but they were there. The way terrorism threats go these days, the military is all over the place. Its not that much out of realism to have them.
WHERE_IS_MIANUS
QUOTE(Massacre @ Feb 9 2009, 03:31 AM) [snapback]1482724[/snapback]
Rockstar's on this "realism" kick. When's the last time the military was called in to stop some guy on a rampage in New York? It bugs me not having a tank parked in front of my safehouse, but I appreciate the realism.

I know what you mean. I'd love to use Rhino and mostly in a Deathmatch game.

QUOTE(OptimumPx @ Feb 9 2009, 03:32 AM) [snapback]1482725[/snapback]
I think they took the army out because it didn't fit in with GTA IV's realism for the entire US Army to be chasing after one man in a major city with tanks and troop carriers.

It can't always fit in anywhere in some parts of the world for real but they and us have the Army. Where I live in England, there's no Army base around but one Sunday there were soldiers standing around and I heard a strange sound when I was waiting for a bus and a tank went by. This was an anniversary to the war.

I wonder if the Army is removed because of the war. Simply where Rockstar think it's in bad taste to attack the US Army in this day and age.

QUOTE(Qdeathstar @ Feb 9 2009, 05:05 AM) [snapback]1482736[/snapback]

No need to shout at the end. We're not deaf. There was an Army base in GTA III and GTA: LCS that was based in New York encase you forgot. We also had the Army in GTA: VC, GTA VCS and GTA: SA.

By the way, calm down. This is a question, not a protest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.