Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On-site IRC
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > General Discussion
koneko
Would anyone else be in favour of an on-site IRC room? Like a java-run thing, which you could optionally access through your regular IRC client. I mean I know next to nothing about how these things work, but I've seen sites that look like they were designed in Microsoft Word run similar things, so it can't be that hard. Thoughts?
cuda is your boi
We've tried it.

Like 5 times.

Failed, no one would ever join and I'd find myself copy pasting random shit into it to look busy.
psych°
Yes it failed massively even when this place was active.
Darth Sexy
I remember talking to Cuda in one of the incarnations.
Hardcore Ottoman
Dude, do we have a Facebook group yet? The chat system on it is probably the cleanest I've seen around.
DonkeyTits
Facelol?
Hardcore Ottoman
Don't be an elitist. Everyone may have one...
psych°
QUOTE(punxtr @ Feb 6 2009, 04:18 AM) [snapback]1482331[/snapback]

Anyone with a life, which excludes most people here.
Pieface
Especially those with 11,597+ Posts.
NIGGALICIOUS
3 years and less tha n 400 posts
Massacre
QUOTE(psych° @ Feb 6 2009, 06:33 AM) [snapback]1482347[/snapback]

Having a facebook doesn't mean you have a life, it means you have a computer.
DonkeyTits
Not having a life is not what we're here to talk about smile.gif
Darth Sexy
I don't want you people tracking me down irl.
koneko
lol... I only have 190 legitimate posts. I still remember when I had like 3 for the longest time.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
Time was the staff didn't accept people posting about their post count...

Note to staff: I don't think this is a legitimate case for warning or editting, it fits the zeitgeist.
psych°
QUOTE(Massacre @ Feb 6 2009, 09:07 PM) [snapback]1482403[/snapback]
QUOTE(psych° @ Feb 6 2009, 06:33 AM) [snapback]1482347[/snapback]

Having a facebook doesn't mean you have a life, it means you have a computer.

Eh...everyone has a computer...

And you clearly don't have a life as you don't know the purpose of facebook.
bOnEs
do we honestly need a chat room? that seems to be what goes on in the asylum anyways...
Psy
An on-site chat might be cool if guests and stuff are allowed to join. Obviously the number of guests on the site and forums outweigh the members by about 10 to 1, so if a few of them jumped on for a chat it could be quite active. I'll see about doing it in the future.
Qdeathstar
the problem with the IRC of the past is that it wasn't a 1 click operation, it took like 15 minutes to get it up and running.

I think if you have an IRC should have meeting times..
Sheep
Q, we can easily add a java applet to connect to the irc server, in which case people can also connect using their irc client if they want.

If people want it and Psy doesnt mind i'll set one up, but no one seems to be there at the same time so people join, see theres no one there and leave.
koneko
If you do, you're going to need a RoomBot.
Sheep
Yeah thats no bother, can use one from Botserv
Darth Sexy
I'd frequent it.
Heartless
QUOTE(Psy @ Feb 9 2009, 04:41 AM) [snapback]1482774[/snapback]
An on-site chat might be cool if guests and stuff are allowed to join. Obviously the number of guests on the site and forums outweigh the members by about 10 to 1, so if a few of them jumped on for a chat it could be quite active. I'll see about doing it in the future.

Remember that our users being... well, our users, will most likely chase half the guests away from here. I'm looking at you, Heartless.
Mekstizzle
QUOTE(psych° @ Feb 6 2009, 11:33 AM) [snapback]1482347[/snapback]

More like the opposite, the only reason I got rid of my facebook was cos I ain't got much of a life to "show off" on facebook like most people do

oh shi-

Did I just say that about myself, hell yes

That and I'm one of the few people remaining in the world that doesn't want to have their life or what remains of it photographed and published on the internet, fuck that

Ain't got no use for face fucking book, don't give a shit about what the ex hoes are doing...you fucking.....wastes

angry.gif

And everyone is always so fucking happy on facebook like their lives are perfect, how the fuck does that work, it's all lies and a fašade .....smoke and mirrors, and lots of makeup

To real for that shit anymore

Ex-PS Fanboy
I side with Mek.

Facebook is pointless to me. Everybody I know spends countless hours on it commenting on photos and people. And yet they claim they're all friends when half of them haven't even met in person. While there doing that I'll do something better with my life.

To conclude: Facebook = No Life.
Hardcore Ottoman
We are done talking about life! Let's continue with the IRC!

Maybe someone should analyze the site's traffic habits and then set up times based on hot spots for, in general, the US and the UK. Dunno.
Ex-PS Fanboy
I would love to discuss it, But I don't know what an IRC is.
Darth Sexy
I use Facebook to hurl public abuse at my friends.
QUOTE(Mekstizzle @ Feb 10 2009, 05:52 PM) [snapback]1483140[/snapback]
QUOTE(psych° @ Feb 6 2009, 11:33 AM) [snapback]1482347[/snapback]

More like the opposite, the only reason I got rid of my facebook was cos I ain't got much of a life to "show off" on facebook like most people do

oh shi-

Did I just say that about myself, hell yes

That and I'm one of the few people remaining in the world that doesn't want to have their life or what remains of it photographed and published on the internet, fuck that

Ain't got no use for face fucking book, don't give a shit about what the ex hoes are doing...you fucking.....wastes

angry.gif

And everyone is always so fucking happy on facebook like their lives are perfect, how the fuck does that work, it's all lies and a fašade .....smoke and mirrors, and lots of makeup

To real for that shit anymore
I would love to argue but I'm pretty sure my profile pic has me wearing mascara.

QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Feb 10 2009, 07:59 PM) [snapback]1483168[/snapback]
I side with Mek.

Facebook is pointless to me. Everybody I know spends countless hours on it commenting on photos and people. And yet they claim they're all friends when half of them haven't even met in person. While there doing that I'll do something better with my life.

To conclude: Facebook = No Life.
No, you're bitter about something. I've met all my FB friends in person, and prettymuch as a rule I wouldn't add someone I wouldn't have a conversation with irl or that I haven't met more than twice, unless I very much need to contact them. It's by far the best way to guarantee good attendance for fixed-number events like casual football or golf or whatever, and it also makes organising flat parties a hell of a lot easier, not to mention club PR...

tl;dr: stop being such a jew.

As for the topic at hand: I have irc on 24/7 in 2 or 3 channels on a bunch of networks, if #GTAIVTV popped up on some network I'd be there.
Ex-PS Fanboy
That's nice what you do, but the people i'm talking about are 15, 16 year old kids, who do exactly what I said.

I've had facebook before, I've tried it, and I don't like it. Organising shit didn't work because people don't get the comment in time. Also, I find it very Boring.
Sheep
Going from how well this topic turned out (sarcasm), how epically this idea failed last time, and a discussion from the staff, it's unlikely this will be going ahead
ban the staff 09
FuddMan
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Feb 12 2009, 09:05 PM) [snapback]1483566[/snapback]
ban the staff 09

I know, we are total bastards sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.