Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FrankCastle Question...
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
Mad Space Ghost
Inquiring minds would like to know how you've learned all that you know. I myself know more than the average joe about computers, but still i would like to know more because i really wanna pursue a job at geek squad or something. So Frank, can you recommend any forums, reading material, or instructional dvds, anything that i can use to maybe become more ready and knowledgeable about troubleshooting computers and the like?

Praise be to frank... notworthy.gif

P.S. i found this topic to be worthy of post because it will also let other people see what he says if they care enough to dive into learning more about computers as well...
FrankCastle
Wow, a fan... I never had one before... I don't have a speech prepared. jk

I learned most of what I know by playing around with PCs. Building them and troubleshooting is the best way to get experience. If you have a problem with your PC don't be so quick to format it because that won't help you learn what went wrong to begin with. If I come across a problem I can't solve I just keep digging till I figure it out. And when I'm all out of ideas I look into forums like these and Google searches help too. Sometimes if a problem comes up with a specific product it's best to check the manufacturer's forums if they have one. Often times others have had the same exact problem you're having.

So if there was a rule book, rule #1 would be patients.
Also, I sometimes spend hours trying to figure something out. After a while it gets annoying, so I just walk away from it and get back to it the following day. Believe it or not, sometimes the next day things just work out a lot easier for some reason.
Like I said before, the best thing is to play with PCs, both software and hardware. If you're trying to get into a job like geek squad then you will have to get your A+ certification first. It's all memorization so get yourself a good A+ cert book and study that before taking the test. Look for practice tests online if they're available.

I never actually took the test to get my A+ cert. but I did take a class for it. If your school offers a class for it, take it. If it's a good class you will get hands on experience.

Good luck.
Mad Space Ghost
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Jan 25 2009, 10:42 AM) [snapback]1480609[/snapback]
Wow, a fan... I never had one before... I don't have a speech prepared. jk

I learned most of what I know by playing around with PCs. Building them and troubleshooting is the best way to get experience. If you have a problem with your PC don't be so quick to format it because that won't help you learn what went wrong to begin with. If I come across a problem I can't solve I just keep digging till I figure it out. And when I'm all out of ideas I look into forums like these and Google searches help too. Sometimes if a problem comes up with a specific product it's best to check the manufacturer's forums if they have one. Often times others have had the same exact problem you're having.

So if there was a rule book, rule #1 would be patients.
Also, I sometimes spend hours trying to figure something out. After a while it gets annoying, so I just walk away from it and get back to it the following day. Believe it or not, sometimes the next day things just work out a lot easier for some reason.
Like I said before, the best thing is to play with PCs, both software and hardware. If you're trying to get into a job like geek squad then you will have to get your A+ certification first. It's all memorization so get yourself a good A+ cert book and study that before taking the test. Look for practice tests online if they're available.

I never actually took the test to get my A+ cert. but I did take a class for it. If your school offers a class for it, take it. If it's a good class you will get hands on experience.

Good luck.

Alright, got myself an A+ Cert book, im also going to be taking a A+ Cert + Computer Forensics + database management class next year.

Thanks frank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.