Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FAR CRY 2
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Other Games > Other Games
PabloHoneyOle
Wow. I just picked this up because Best Buy had it on sale for $30. I was originally going to get Fallout 3, but this was half the price and I had wanted to play it since it was released. Fallout 3 can wait a little longer...

All I can say is: FUCKING AWESOME.

It is quite possibly one of the most immersive games I have ever played. The FPS is amazing. It takes a lot of getting used to and "un-training" from Halo 3's controls, but the storyline is finally materializing and the gameplay is absolutely fantastic. The graphics are breathtaking. The realism really adds to the gameplay.

Anyone else played it? Thoughts/opinions?
aussie_b8ler
I have this game and I love it. Perhaps the main reason is that it is based on Joseph Conrad's novel "Heart of Darkness", which is one of my favourite novels. If you liked the story of the game I highly recommend this book.

I like to describe the game as "Fallout 3 without the boring bits, in Africa."

The healing animations are so entertaining that I found myself taking damage on purpose just to view them all. The weapons are varied and well balanced, and the ability to upgrade the weapons adds a sort of RPG element to the game. The fire in this game is the best seen in any game to date, and can really be used strategically. It can be used to cut off an enemies escape route or to blow up an ammunition stockpile in the middle of an enemy camp. You can also approach each mission any way you want to, which adds to the replay-ability of the game.

I have a few negative things to say however. The guns rust up far too easily. You need to change your guns at least once a day because they will start to jam up and misfire. Also I was a big fan of the first Far Cry, but this game has nothing to do with the original what so ever despite the title being "Far Cry 2". The driving is too accurate, with the use of the handbrake making every turn possible.

Just like every game it isn't perfect, but it comes much closer than most games. If you havenít played it you should get your hands on it by any means possible.
TheAnalogKid2112
Wow you guys make me really want to get it. I guess I'll pick it up. Hopefully Best Buy has it for $30 here as well..
PabloHoneyOle
Aussie, you nailed it. I'll check out that book as well, thanks.
PabloHoneyOle
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1215819842227

I ordered mine online, picked it up in store half an hour later.
FuddMan
FC2 is fucking shite. You do the tutorial and then do the same three things over and over again. I rented it a while back and didn't even get passed the first Chapter I was so bored with it. You take a mission from one side, get shot from both sides as you leave the peace zone, destroy something, and then get shot from both sides again as you go to get the next mission. Before you start each mission you get an offer to do something else for someone for some extra love and then carry on with the mission on your own anyway. And if you don't fancy doing a mission for either of the two factions, you can go to a gunshop and destroy a convoy that goes round and round in circles. And then, to top it all off, it makes you take malaria pills in the middle of battle every 15 minutes and it auto-saves as soon as you complete an objective, so if you get caught in an intense firefight when it saves, you can't get out again.

Also, realism? Try being stealthy. Doesn't work does it? Get one of the stealth upgrades. What's changed? You have less diamonds in your pocket. Really realistic.

The multiplayer's not so bad, mind, but they couldn't have done a worse job with the open world singleplayer if they shat on the disc before they sent it out.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...n/510-Far-Cry-2 pretty much sums it up, really.
Voodoo.
Agreed. Boring, repetitive gameplay, endless driving, infinitely respawning guard post enemies and a completely mental kit system. Why the fuck can't I carry an AR and a sniper rifle? How about a SMG and a pistol? It makes no sense. The fire is pretty, though. I've had this since Nov and I'm still trying to make myself finish it just to so I can say I got through it. Comparing this to Fallout 3 is like comparing a cold fast food burger to a steak.

Gazz
It does get repetitive, like Fallout 3, but my personal opinion would be to go for Far Cry 2, if its at a good price then buy it, the graphics are stunning and it has a vast landscape (but your player can hardly jump...which is annoying) like any game it has its good points and its bad points. But yeah, for a decent price, its worth a play. I paid 60 quid for my special edition...wouldn't pay anywhere near that now though!
TheAnalogKid2112
Just bought this used. I completely agree with Stoic- It's fucking amazing. I'm so glad I didn't listen to the hataz
Roman
I played it for a long time, it is awesome but my main criticism I have is that there is too much driving. The game tries to make driving feel not boring by placing guard posts every couple of minutes away from each other but this just adds to the length of missions. It is so annoying after a while to try and complete the game when to even GET to your mission location you have to fight 50 guys on your way there with RPGs and snipers etc. I stopped playing after I reached the second part of the game it just got boring really fast.

PS Yes I do use the bus but sometimes a mission will be in between two bus stops so you still have to drive there and endure the never ending guard posts that you pass.
I Made Your Mom In GMod
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Jan 22 2009, 02:00 PM) [snapback]1480189[/snapback]
Also, realism? Try being stealthy. Doesn't work does it? Get one of the stealth upgrades. What's changed? You have less diamonds in your pocket. Really realistic.

The multiplayer's not so bad, mind, but they couldn't have done a worse job with the open world singleplayer if they shat on the disc before they sent it out.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...n/510-Far-Cry-2 pretty much sums it up, really.

I'm not sure I agree. While the game certainly has its flaws, and graphically it's not even close to the status quo (Cevat Yerli's personal disaster, Crysis) I'd say the stealth system is pretty realistic (1000 decibel machete aside). Wearing a fluorescent red shirt is probably going to get you spotted in an open grassy glade at 200 yards by enemies with a brain and working eyes, even if you are hiding behind an extremely porous bush. A set of camouflage fatigues probably isn't going to help much.
Fun? Well it's certainly challenging, but no. Realistic? Yes.
And yes, Ben Croshaw is a bloody genius but he's little more than a troll as a professional game reviewer.

Anyway I bought Far Cry 2 a few weeks ago and it is a pretty good and realistic game, AK-47 jamming tendencies notwithstanding. While the repetition becomes a bit much after a few hours of play, there is a genuine immersion into the world and, even though there's plenty to hate, there's even more to like. There are plenty of unique or re-jigged features that I haven't seen in FPS games before. Worth a rent in my opinion, even if you don't like the look of it.
TheAnalogKid2112
Well I now realize why we constantly get shot at when driving. There are 47 guard posts in the game that we need to scout. Idk why, I don't like it, but it's another one of those "side objective" things. It really isn't hard to do. It's just a distraction.
FuddMan
Well you don't even need to be driving past a guard post to be attacked, and when you clear a guard post, the enemies respawn there as soon as you move away from it. They are two of the most annoying and pointless features in the game.
TheAnalogKid2112
True.
Handsome B Wonderful
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Jan 23 2009, 12:00 AM) [snapback]1480189[/snapback]
And then, to top it all off, it makes you take malaria pills in the middle of battle every 15 minutes and it auto-saves as soon as you complete an objective, so if you get caught in an intense firefight when it saves, you can't get out again.

I always get asked if i want to save after completing an objective. I have the 360 version, btw.

Anyhoo, i love the game, apart from the guard posts, of course. The ability to bribe the guards with diamonds so they would leave you alone would have been nice.

btw, notice how the RE5 trailer was called racist, yet no one said anything about Far Cry 2's non-zombified evil black people?
FailSafe
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Jan 22 2009, 02:00 PM) [snapback]1480189[/snapback]
FC2 is fucking shite. You do the tutorial and then do the same three things over and over again. I rented it a while back and didn't even get passed the first Chapter I was so bored with it. You take a mission from one side, get shot from both sides as you leave the peace zone, destroy something, and then get shot from both sides again as you go to get the next mission. Before you start each mission you get an offer to do something else for someone for some extra love and then carry on with the mission on your own anyway. And if you don't fancy doing a mission for either of the two factions, you can go to a gunshop and destroy a convoy that goes round and round in circles. And then, to top it all off, it makes you take malaria pills in the middle of battle every 15 minutes and it auto-saves as soon as you complete an objective, so if you get caught in an intense firefight when it saves, you can't get out again.

I would say i agree, the stealth suit done nothing really..i done act 1 then got pretty bored of it, got all the weapons by midway through act 2 then havent played it much more. It would seem that nearly every mission involves you mowing a couple of people down. In a arena or village such as Cattle Xing then taking out some guy. What annoys me even more is you work for both sides and you never get that loyal feeling. And ithout taking a bus to locations,you end up being ambushed every 15 minutes or when you want to get past an outpost with out a fight its almost impossible becuase they ethier chase you your blow you up. Waste of £25 on my half..

I tried Multiplayer but annoyingly PunkBuster decides to kick you for reasons you cannot control.
Punkbuster aside..multiplayer is alright. rather play cod4 or CS though.

Handsome B Wonderful
You know you've been playing too much Far Cry 2 when consuming orange tic tacs reminds you of malaria.
TheAnalogKid2112
lol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.