Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Watchmen Case Settled
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Entertainment
Pages: 1, 2
DiO
January 15, 2009 - Our long national nightmare is over.

Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox have settled their legal dispute over the long-awaited Watchmen movie. The movie will be released as planned March 6.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/945/945714p1.html

Finally. This movie looks really good.
PabloHoneyOle
Good to hear.

I'm going to see this one at the drive-in so I can smoke blunts mid-movie.
ENVi3
very nice.
I've been waiting for this movie ever since the trailer in The Dark Knight.
i reread the book over the summer, and i meant to do it again but then school came up and haven't had time - but it is a pretty good story.

while we're on this topic, any other good graphic novels anyone recommends? preferably relatively cheap (unlike Sandman and Sin City)
Indy
I really should read the book. Is it any good?
Ex-PS Fanboy
never ever heard of it...
ENVi3
QUOTE(IndĽ @ Jan 21 2009, 09:07 AM) [snapback]1480003[/snapback]
yes, other people have seen my with it and I've loaned it out twice to two different people and they enjoyed it also.
it's pretty cheap too actually, probably no more than $15.
DiO
QUOTE(X_ENVi3-_- @ Jan 20 2009, 11:00 PM) [snapback]1479940[/snapback]
very nice.
I've been waiting for this movie ever since the trailer in The Dark Knight.
i reread the book over the summer, and i meant to do it again but then school came up and haven't had time - but it is a pretty good story.

while we're on this topic, any other good graphic novels anyone recommends? preferably relatively cheap (unlike Sandman and Sin City)

Hmm, how much would a sin city cost and why?
ENVi3
QUOTE(FML 7 BOT @ Jan 22 2009, 03:39 PM) [snapback]1480264[/snapback]
QUOTE(X_ENVi3-_- @ Jan 20 2009, 11:00 PM) [snapback]1479940[/snapback]
very nice.

Hmm, how much would a sin city cost and why?

well, the whole set of 7 books is at least $90 USD
DiO
Ohh, a whole set.
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(IndĽ @ Jan 21 2009, 03:07 PM) [snapback]1480003[/snapback]

This is the book that redefined the graphic novel community. It shows that graphic novels aren't just for kids, this book is dark, real dark. Its very thought provoking, has alot of themes in it which you don't find in most comics.

Its not one of them Good guys vs Bad guys stories either. The main character Rorschach is more of an anti-hero. While he is a 'good guy' he gets his results in a 'bad guy' manner. And its not an action book either, while there are scenes of some action (not so much fighting) its more of an intellengent story.

A must buy.

And i should know ive been collecting graphic novels since i was 5.

This is just a TINY fraction of my collection.
Pieface
I'm not sure whether to see this or not. Looks quite good, hope its not like Superman or Spiderman 3.
TwoFacedTanner
Im sorry, but Im getting so sick of comic book/superhero movies.

Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Feb 26 2009, 04:18 PM) [snapback]1487161[/snapback]
Im sorry, but Im getting so sick of comic book/superhero movies.

Trust me, this won't be like anything you've ever seen before.

Without giving away too many spoilers there is only one true Superhero. The rest are like how batman is. If that makes sence.

In my opinion its most likely going to be the best Graphic Novel to Film translation yet. Apprently the director has been using the novel as a screenplay and is unprecidented in the faithfulness.

Pieface - Its going to be nothing like Spiderman 3 or Superman Returns in the way of super amazing CGI fights etc. Its more of a thriller and the story is character driven not plot driven.

Bob - I personally recommend The Eternals by Neil Gaiman (another legend in the comic industry). It tells the story of a group of people with godlike ability but set in the Marvel Universe. Or the main Marvel Civil War, its very political (for a Marvel comic) and has complete shaken the Marvel Universe. Its the biggest crossover even in the history of Marvel. Great great read.Its also how Captain America came to be how he is.

Talking of Captain America, Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America is a good read. Each chapter is base on a difference stage of grieving. The writer who wrote it had been through a similar experience.

You know what sometime tonight im going to make a seperate thread for graphic novels.
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Feb 26 2009, 01:41 PM) [snapback]1487212[/snapback]
Talking of Captain America, Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America is a good read. Each chapter is base on a difference stage of grieving. The writer who wrote it had been through a similar experience.

Which brings me to another thing...I mean, it may be best discussed in that thread you're gonna start, but, why are they killing off the superheroes?
Like they'll die, then be back a few issues later.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Feb 26 2009, 04:08 PM) [snapback]1487231[/snapback]
Which brings me to another thing...I mean, it may be best discussed in that thread you're gonna start, but, why are they killing off the superheroes?
Like they'll die, then be back a few issues later.

It's nothing new, Superman died back in 1992/3.

Comics are like soap operas. Anything to get people to keep coming back.

Pussy.

Can't wait for Watchmen. It's going to blow the socks off of the popcorn superhero flicks.
Massacre
QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Feb 26 2009, 04:32 AM) [snapback]1487125[/snapback]
This is just a TINY fraction of my collection.

You are now my friend.

QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Feb 26 2009, 02:41 PM) [snapback]1487212[/snapback]

You know what sometime tonight im going to make a seperate thread for graphic novels.

I think the writer that killed him off had recently lost his son to cancer. Also, definitely start that thread, although it might just be you, ENVi3, and myself posting in it...

I'm definitely looking forward to this movie, despite not having read the book. I heard the movie differs from the book at the end, something about a giant squid? What's that about?
DiO
QUOTE(Massacre @ Feb 26 2009, 04:30 PM) [snapback]1487244[/snapback]
. I heard the movie differs from the book at the end, something about a giant squid? What's that about?

Heartless's ava?

Im sure this movie won't be like a spiderman 3. It looks much darker like the new batman ones.
OptimumPx
QUOTE(Massacre @ Feb 26 2009, 04:30 PM) [snapback]1487244[/snapback]
I heard the movie differs from the book at the end, something about a giant squid? What's that about?

Well, in the Watchmen the main villain (if you want to call him that) uses a 'giant squid' to launch his plan, it kills a lot of people and drives many other insane when it dies (it sends out a psychic pulse upon death.) The movie won't use the squid because it would take up too much screen time explaining where this thing came from before it showed up at the end of the movie, so they dropped it for something different. From the trailers it looks like a bright blue pulse going off in the middle of Times Square or something. We'll see on Friday though. smile.gif

According to Snyder the ending itself is still the same. The squid is only there to push to main characters into the final showdown at the story's conclusion and it's replacement serves the same purpose with no cost to the actual plot, so I'm not worried about that at all. thumbup.gif
bOnEs
i read an early review on this movie yesterday and they said it was shitty... but, i don't base my opinion off of one review, i base it off my own review... i'm still gonna see it but, i am not gonna expect to see an amazing movie, like it seems to be hyped up as... i just want to be entertained, and able to follow the plot since, i've never read the comic... and the latter is what worries me... i'm afraid that i will be confused throughout...

still gonna see it though, might try to see it in IMAX because, i know the visuals are gonna be amazing...
ENVi3
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Mar 1 2009, 11:05 AM) [snapback]1487909[/snapback]
might try to see it in IMAX because, i know the visuals are gonna be amazing...
hecks yeah!
I've never watched a movie in IMAX but a few months ago i decided that i should watch Watchmen on IMAX, so it shall be done cool.gif

i haven't read the comic in a few months, but i bought the Animated Comic which i will watch after i watch the movie since i am a little too lazy to read, heh.
Massacre
QUOTE(X_ENVi3-_- @ Mar 2 2009, 09:35 PM) [snapback]1488229[/snapback]
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Mar 1 2009, 11:05 AM) [snapback]1487909[/snapback]
might try to see it in IMAX because, i know the visuals are gonna be amazing...
hecks yeah!
I've never watched a movie in IMAX but a few months ago i decided that i should watch Watchmen on IMAX, so it shall be done cool.gif

i haven't read the comic in a few months, but i bought the Animated Comic which i will watch after i watch the movie since i am a little too lazy to read, heh.

I'm gonna try to catch it in IMAX, myself. I planned to see Dark Knight in IMAX, but they were all full. sad.gif I heard DK's getting rereleased this summer only in IMAX.
ENVi3
is anyone going to the Midnight showing?
i most likely wont, I don't have school Fridays .... but i know DST is this weekend so i don't need to mess with my sleep, since it's been good these past few days smile.gif
Heartless
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Mar 1 2009, 12:05 PM) [snapback]1487909[/snapback]
i read an early review on this movie yesterday and they said it was shitty... but, i don't base my opinion off of one review, i base it off my own review... i'm still gonna see it but, i am not gonna expect to see an amazing movie, like it seems to be hyped up as... i just want to be entertained, and able to follow the plot since, i've never read the comic... and the latter is what worries me... i'm afraid that i will be confused throughout...

still gonna see it though, might try to see it in IMAX because, i know the visuals are gonna be amazing...

I'm expecting to be disappointed. I'm still seeing it though.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 4 2009, 11:36 PM) [snapback]1488567[/snapback]

Stop this fucking blasphemy. What are you expecting, the movie to BLOW YOUR FUCKING MIND? It's a movie. Go in there with an open mind. Leave your expectations at the door and you'll enjoy it much more.

If that sounds hard for you to do, smoke a blunt before and it will probably be the greatest experience of your life.

I'm going at some point this weekend. Not reading reviews. Open mind.
Full Metal Monkey
Im going.

From what ive heard its a pretty faithful transfer of mediums. I was re-reading through Watchmen last night im about a 1/4 of the way through and its going to be bloody hard to get all of the film in a 2hour sitting.

The film should be about 3hours to fit it all in but it would most likely make people bored as its not an action film. I mean there is action but...for those that have read the book know what i mean.

I reckon alot of people who haven't read the book and watch the film are probably going to be saying 'WTF' alot. Story can get abit confusing as its character driven. There is only one main plot. [spoiler]Finding the person who killed The Comedian.[/spoiler] Everything else is what leads up to that moment.

EDIT: After reading some info on Wikipedia the films run time is 163mins and the directors cut is 191mins and yet they still have had to leave things out. Things are starting to sound promising.
ENVi3
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 5 2009, 08:21 AM) [snapback]1488601[/snapback]
QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 4 2009, 11:36 PM) [snapback]1488567[/snapback]

Stop this fucking blasphemy. What are you expecting, the movie to BLOW YOUR FUCKING MIND? It's a movie. Go in there with an open mind. Leave your expectations at the door and you'll enjoy it much more.

If that sounds hard for you to do, smoke a blunt before and it will probably be the greatest experience of your life.

I'm going at some point this weekend. Not reading reviews. Open mind.

I'm sure most of the bad reviews are fanboys that were disappointed at the changes that were necessary to make it into a film, and to fill the small time frame
Full Metal Monkey
Envie - How was it?

Is there anything major thats been cut out? And the ending?

PM it to me if you don't want to spoil it for the rest. Is it more deserving as a movie than V for Vendetta?

EDIT: After reading Watchmen's wiki page it mentions that on March 24th they will be releasing Tales of the Black Freighter dvd. Which Snyder apprently wanted to put into the film but due to budget contraints he couldnt. Also it would have pushed the film well over the 3hour mark.

But when The Watchmen is released there will be a directors cut version which includes Tales of the Black Freighter edited into the film. Also there is an Under The Hood documentary which will be included with Tales of the Black Freighter.
ENVi3
QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Mar 6 2009, 10:41 AM) [snapback]1488842[/snapback]
Envie - How was it?
oh, I haven't watched it yet ... I'm meaning to do it sometime soon, this weekend most likely.
After reading Watchmen's wiki page it mentions that on March 24th they will be releasing Tales of the Black Freighter dvd. Which Snyder apprently wanted to put into the film but due to budget contraints he couldnt. Also it would have pushed the film well over the 3hour mark.
so, it's a live action Tales of the Black Freighter? that's pretty cool, and that's one of the best things about the graphic novel ... it's not just a comic inside a comic, it actually can be seen as a representation of the subconscious of the plot motives.

P.S. I got got a coupon for $7.50 off the movie ticket because i bought the Motion Comic cool.gif
bOnEs
QUOTE(X_ENVi3-_- @ Mar 6 2009, 02:14 PM) [snapback]1488887[/snapback]
P.S. I got got a coupon for $7.50 off the movie ticket because i bought the Motion Comic cool.gif

lol, good luck with that... my theater doesn't acknowledge coupons that don't have their name on em... celebration cinema is a piece of shit rip off... so, if i got one of those "free movie passes" from purchasing some movie or something, the coupon is completely worthless here in my town... they laugh and hand it back to you and say, "it's still gonna be $8.50 and your soul please"...
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(X_ENVi3-_- @ Mar 6 2009, 07:14 PM) [snapback]1488887[/snapback]
Envie - How was it?
oh, I haven't watched it yet ... I'm meaning to do it sometime soon, this weekend most likely.
After reading Watchmen's wiki page it mentions that on March 24th they will be releasing Tales of the Black Freighter dvd. Which Snyder apprently wanted to put into the film but due to budget contraints he couldnt. Also it would have pushed the film well over the 3hour mark.
so, it's a live action Tales of the Black Freighter? that's pretty cool, and that's one of the best things about the graphic novel ... it's not just a comic inside a comic, it actually can be seen as a representation of the subconscious of the plot motives.

Nah, Tales of the Black Freighter DVD is going to be an animation made by Warner Brothers Premier and Warner Brothers Animation studios.

Its hard to describe how Tales of the Black Freighter fits into the story. But it does. It is a comic within the comic but you only see a few panels of it per chapter with scenes of a news vendor and a black kid whose reading it. Because this is set in an alternate timeline of the world (the US won Vietnam) and Superheroes are real. People weren't interested in reading comics about superheroes like Superman etc (the Watchmen book even mentions it) and so comics about pirates were more interesting.

Tales of th Black Freighter describes certain characters and their feelings but in a subtle way.

I dont really want to mention more because it would spoil the story as a whole.

I can't wait to see the film as id like to know how much of the books subtext makes it onto the screen.
ENVi3
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Mar 6 2009, 03:30 PM) [snapback]1488916[/snapback]
QUOTE(X_ENVi3-_- @ Mar 6 2009, 02:14 PM) [snapback]1488887[/snapback]

lol, good luck with that... my theater doesn't acknowledge coupons that don't have their name on em... celebration cinema is a piece of shit rip off... so, if i got one of those "free movie passes" from purchasing some movie or something, the coupon is completely worthless here in my town... they laugh and hand it back to you and say, "it's still gonna be $8.50 and your soul please"...

that's lame
and yeah, its only a few theaters that accept it, but luckily one of the ones i usually go to does accept them.
OptimumPx
Well, I just got home from the theater and I have to say it is awesome! Very well done the plot survives the changes made with no problem. Even the change from the squid to an energy pulse plays very well.

There are a few things I didn't like, like the fact almost every minor character in the story was reduced to cameo roles in the movie (The two Bernies, Dr. Malcolm Long, the two NYPD Detectives etc).

Very faithful, I highly recommend!
asthenia
I fucking loved it. I've been wanting to get the novel for a long time but there's always something more important to spend dollar on, the movie just pushed it to the top of my list. What a story, what a fuckin' story.

Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(The Asthenia @ Mar 9 2009, 03:14 AM) [snapback]1489236[/snapback]
I fucking loved it. I've been wanting to get the novel for a long time but there's always something more important to spend dollar on, the movie just pushed it to the top of my list. What a story, what a fuckin' story.

Im seeing it today at the Leister Square Odeon (largest screen in Europe) and can't wait.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(The Asthenia @ Mar 8 2009, 11:14 PM) [snapback]1489236[/snapback]

Exactly. I saw it last night and I was fucking blown away. I'm so glad I haven't read the comic because that was one of the most epic movie experiences I've ever had. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

I didn't take my eyes off of the screen, not for a minute.
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 10 2009, 02:09 PM) [snapback]1489444[/snapback]

Exactly. I saw it last night and I was fucking blown away. I'm so glad I haven't read the comic because that was one of the most epic movie experiences I've ever had. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Didn't end up seeing it. The film was fully booked for the 1.30pm showing. sad.gif Bloody tourists.

Seeing it in a few days.

Stoic i like your avatar. smile.gif
asthenia
QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Mar 9 2009, 10:51 AM) [snapback]1489269[/snapback]

Im seeing it today at the Leister Square Odeon (largest screen in Europe) and can't wait.

Wait... where do you live?

QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 10 2009, 02:09 PM) [snapback]1489444[/snapback]

[spoiler]GIMME BACK MY FACE![/spoiler]
Possibly the best voice in Entertainment today.

I can't wait til next weekend, I'm definitely going to see it again.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(The Asthenia @ Mar 10 2009, 01:41 PM) [snapback]1489482[/snapback]
[spoiler]GIMME BACK MY FACE![/spoiler]
Possibly the best voice in Entertainment today.

I'm definitely going again.

You know Rorschach is played by the badass kid from Bad News Bears?
asthenia
I do now. I can't remember what I associate Jackie with but it's not BNB... Man that's gonna bug me now.
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(The Asthenia @ Mar 10 2009, 05:41 PM) [snapback]1489482[/snapback]
QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Mar 9 2009, 10:51 AM) [snapback]1489269[/snapback]

Wait... where do you live?

I live in South West London, South Wimbledon (the poor part) which is about (wow just checked it on Multimap.com and it reckons i live 10miles away from there. AND it reckons it would take 20minutes, thats bollox. Ive driven to Soho before and it took me about an hour because of traffic. Driving back wasn't too bad though but that was because it was about 3am. My mate had taken me to a lesbian strip club (my best friends a lezza). And back on topic, i didn't realise London was so big.

Still not seen the fucking film! Got there and it was fully booked (even though i rang to book a seat but pay on arrival incase the tube is late). Fucking tourists.

Out of everyone on these forums im probably more excited about this movie than anyone. And ill probably be the last to see it. Im trying to get my old man to come with me as he knows how much i loved the book when i was growing up and ive told him about the various forums im a member of and the people on there who haven't read the book but saw the film and subsiquently wanna see it.
bOnEs
going tonight... i'm ready to be entertained... but i'm a little worried about seeing a big blue part flappin' about on the screen throughout the film... i've heard the rumors laugh.gif...
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Mar 11 2009, 02:45 PM) [snapback]1489688[/snapback]
going tonight... i'm ready to be entertained... but i'm a little worried about seeing a big blue part flappin' about on the screen throughout the film... i've heard the rumors :lol:...

Eek a penis!

Also, check this: If Watchmen was made into a Saturday Morning Cartoon. I'd watch.
[youtube]YDDHHrt6l4w[/youtube]
OptimumPx
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 11 2009, 03:21 PM) [snapback]1489691[/snapback]
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Mar 11 2009, 02:45 PM) [snapback]1489688[/snapback]
going tonight... i'm ready to be entertained... but i'm a little worried about seeing a big blue part flappin' about on the screen throughout the film... i've heard the rumors laugh.gif...

Eek a penis!

Also, check this: If Watchmen was made into a Saturday Morning Cartoon. I'd watch.
[youtube]YDDHHrt6l4w[/youtube]

*buys lots of overpriced branded merchandise*
bOnEs
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 11 2009, 03:21 PM) [snapback]1489691[/snapback]
Eek a penis!

i can't wait to hear all the tween chuckles in the theater laugh.gif...
Mekstizzle
Good film, it was different. Although pretty much all the "heroes" were actually just normal people who knew how to fight well. Except for Dr.Manhattan, now that's what you call overdrive superhuman....infact he was pretty much a God

Guy reminded me of Seth from Streetfighter IV (yeah I know watchmen is from the 60's/70's)

8/10 film. Go watch it guise
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Mar 11 2009, 06:45 PM) [snapback]1489688[/snapback]

From what ive read Snyder done Dr.Manhattans 'dong' in a tasteful way - Like Michelangelo's David. Its the same within the book, he IS stark naked almost entirely throughout but you don't even notice it.

And i also guess its why Snyder was allowed to show a fully naked Dr.Manhattan in the trailer which is shown on national television. Dr.Manhattan is like a perfectly sculpted statue only he moves and thinks. Its hard to describe how they got away with it.

Man, i need to stop the drugs. Ive always thought deeply into the Watchmen book but ive not even seen the film yet and im already thinking deeply into things ive only seen in the trailer.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Mar 11 2009, 09:32 PM) [snapback]1489762[/snapback]
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Mar 11 2009, 06:45 PM) [snapback]1489688[/snapback]
going tonight... i'm ready to be entertained... but i'm a little worried about seeing a big blue part flappin' about on the screen throughout the film... i've heard the rumors :lol:...

From what ive read Snyder done Dr.Manhattans 'dong' in a tasteful way - Like Michelangelo's David. Its the same within the book, he IS stark naked almost entirely throughout but you don't even notice it.

And i also guess its why Snyder was allowed to show a fully naked Dr.Manhattan in the trailer which is shown on national television. Dr.Manhattan is like a perfectly sculpted statue only he moves and thinks. Its hard to describe how they got away with it.

Man, i need to stop the drugs. Ive always thought deeply into the Watchmen book but ive not even seen the film yet and im already thinking deeply into things ive only seen in the trailer.

The penis is very noticeable.

A guy in front of me was complaining about all the penis. "C'mon, enough with the blue dicks."

The best reference I've read to describe his blue dick is "The Doctor's Lower Manhattan". It was in a review, can't remember which one, but mad props to the author.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
bOnEs
yea, it was a little too much on the screen... especially when the theater is full of guys and you only show a boobage scene damn near the end of the movie, in darkness, yet show us a big blue penis throughout the movie laugh.gif...

but, aside from that fact, the movie was pretty good... it thought it dragged on at certain points but, there was enough action to keep it interesting throughout... the ending part [spoiler](in antartica and manhatten)[/spoiler] was a little confusing and i still can't make any sense of it... that's what i get i guess for never reading the comic book...

the rorschach character was pretty fucking badass though... definitely worth the price of admission... and aside from him and the comedian, i really didn't think there was any good acting from the rest of the crew... everyone else was pretty flat... but, i got a new superhero to like in rorschach, a pretty unique individual who had the right idea of what a superhero should be...

7/10... it was entertaining and i felt like i got my money's worth...
asthenia
The Dr.'s lower Manhattan is only noticeable if you're looking for it. I didn't notice really at all throughout the movie, I was concentrating on the story and the actors faces, expressions, etc.. where the attention should be.

fags
Hardcore Ottoman
I'll give it a 7/10 as well. Well, ignore that number tongue.gif

The story progressed along quite well, but the ending was a bomb (not literally for those angry at my implied suggestion). It didn't make since how the scene on that red place led to the scene in that cold place... did the movie differ from the book?

Btw, everyone agrees that building of characters was flat. Only two round characters. I hope the director's cut has two more hours to it. In retrospect, I may be unfair by stating this but when I could only remember Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach... it goes to show how well the characters stood alone.

On the other hand, I truly admired Veidtr's (spelling?) plan B. And btw, the philosophic topics in this movie just about outdid the Matrix, I think. (And they're subtle, very subtle).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.