Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How good is this video card?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
neko_ceko
GeForce 8600GTS PCI-Express 256MB DDR3

I'm buying a new PC, and all good PC's have lame video cards, but all shit PC's have good video cards...
Psy
It's a few years old and it'll struggle to run Call of Duty 4 at anything more than about 30 fps even on low settings. If you're getting it for gaming then you need something newer and more powerful.
DonkeyTits
You'll want something with at least 512mb, even if you are trying to stay economy.
FrankCastle
The charts on Tomshardware are the best for hardware comparison.

The 3D card you mention is pretty low on that list. The link above shows a sum of all the FPS benchmarks.
The 8600 GTS had a total of 1258FPS which may not sound bad, but compare that to the top 3d cards out there now which have totals over 3500, and you'll see why the 8600 won't cut it in today's games.
Gazz
Its medicore. I almost got this card after my dual 7900GS rig died but I remembered that the 8800GT was a pretty decent card at a decent price! I wouldn't settle for anything less than an 8800GT (at the time the 9800GX2 was just released and way to expensive) if you are using nvidia as the manufacturer, if you are thinking ATI then personally I wouldn't go lower than a 3870. But thats my personal preference!

Good luck biggrin.gif
Qdeathstar
shouldnt he be getting an AGP card instead of PCI, i heard its better.
1UP
QUOTE(Qdeathstar @ Jan 27 2009, 12:50 AM) [snapback]1480825[/snapback]

I thought they don't put AGP slots on most motherboards anymore?
psychÝ
QUOTE(1UP @ Jan 28 2009, 04:24 AM) [snapback]1480936[/snapback]

They don't, do they even make the new cards in AGP...
Qdeathstar
oh, well, i havn't really shopped for a new pc in like 3 years...

FrankCastle
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Jan 27 2009, 11:34 PM) [snapback]1480937[/snapback]

Yeah, manufacturers are still putting new GPUs on AGP cards, but the AGP market is not very competitive anymore. Plus the technology can only be pushed so far.
psychÝ
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Jan 31 2009, 08:45 PM) [snapback]1481286[/snapback]
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Jan 27 2009, 11:34 PM) [snapback]1480937[/snapback]

Yeah, manufacturers are still putting new GPUs on AGP cards, but the AGP market is not very competitive anymore. Plus the technology can only be pushed so far.

Guess it probably hampers the performance of the card a bit and if your motherboard is that old would there really be any point in upgrading the GPU with a new one anyway.

I thought PCI-E2 was out now or coming out, and when is USB 3.0 coming as USB 2.0 is god-damn slow...

EDIT: Looks like USB 3.0 is on it way, 5.0Gb/s is pretty fast, faster than most HDD read/write speeds so that is all that is relevant at the moment, but I want it now, probably isn't any point in buying a new laptop until it is integrated as that is one of the key functions I use it for.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Jan 31 2009, 11:59 PM) [snapback]1481327[/snapback]
Guess it probably hampers the performance of the card a bit and if your motherboard is that old would there really be any point in upgrading the GPU with a new one anyway.

I thought PCI-E2 was out now or coming out, and when is USB 3.0 coming as USB 2.0 is god-damn slow...

EDIT: Looks like USB 3.0 is on it way, 5.0Gb/s is pretty fast, faster than most HDD read/write speeds so that is all that is relevant at the moment, but I want it now, probably isn't any point in buying a new laptop until it is integrated as that is one of the key functions I use it for.

That's true, overall performance would suffer because the CPU would still be outdated. But those graphics cards should get you better FPS in games depending on what it replaced.
FailSafe
a 86000GTS is not a very good GFX card in the perspective in things...like Psy said (though he is being a little pessimistic) it will just about run CoD4, if you want a good budget video card a 4760 is a the best bet which is £50 its the Nvidia eqivilent of a 9600GSO. The thing is a bargain.

Like Gazz said the Nvidia 8800GT is a good card.

But its price is still at around £100 where as the ATI 4850 which is better is around £110 so for £10 more than your getting a badass deal!

So

ATI 4670 for £50 ***OR*** ATI 4850 for £110

A quick benchmark test i pulled from google

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.