Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Compatible DVD decoder not installed - nvm
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
DiO

Torrented some decoders. Works.
---

So I installed that DVD player I posted awhile back. I just replaced the my other CD burner with it. I load a DVD and it didn't work. I got the below error. I downloaded drivers and got the same error. So wtf?

-------------------------------------------------

So I tried installing a DVD burner and it didn't go well but that's ok because I didn't really know what I was doing. All I did was swap it where my 2nd CD burner is. All the wires that are currently plugged into my 2nd CD burner I plugged into the new drive. I booted up the computer and it wouldn't start up at all so I swapped back and its working fine. I am unsurprised that it didn't work. So anyone want to fill me in.
Severus Snape
what are your computer specs? what is the brand of dvd burner? can you get into BIOS and check to see that the new drive is connected?
FrankCastle
Did you recently buy the drive? If so do you have a link to it? A link to your exact PC model would be useful too.
DiO
I got the drive for free from a friend so no official link. I goggled it though.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/LG-GSA-416...-Writer-Review/

Just a review but there is some info there. It is a LG Super Multi DVD Drive Model GSA-4167B.

My computer specs

Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz
1.99GHz, 512 MB of RAM

And I got XP of course.

As I was saying, I got it from a friend so I don't have any software for it either. I was hoping to download drivers for it. I googled that too and got some promising results.

I haven't tried getting into BIOS once it is installed. I will later perhaps.
Sharpie Fetish
Free from a friend?

Probably bricked.
DiO
QUOTE(Sharpie Fetish @ Jan 14 2009, 05:19 PM) [snapback]1478897[/snapback]
Free from a friend?

Probably bricked.

Friend was a simplification. Got it from my brothers grilfriends dad. That just sounds retarded so I went with friend.
Edgecrusher
You need to find out if it is a SATA or IDE device and which one you need. If you try to connect the wrong one, your PC won't detect it.
FrankCastle
I found out that it's an IDE drive from this link

The problem might be with the master/slave setting on the drive. Most motherboards have two IDE connectors, a primary and secondary. Each connector can handle two devices, for a total of four.

Before you do anything make note of how it is currently plugged in. Now all you should have to do is change the jumper in the back of the drive. If it is currently master then change it to slave or vice versa. Then make sure you plug it back in exactly the same way you had it previously.

Just in case you want more info on IDE jumpering.
Here is a link to explain all the details
DiO
How do I change the jumper? I am going to try and replace my top cd burner with the DVD drive. I figure its master so maybe it will work.
FrankCastle
Check out this youtube video on changing the jumper setting. This video shows it being done on a hard drive, but its done the same way on an optical drive like yours.
DiO

So I installed that DVD player I posted awhile back. I just replaced the my other CD burner with it. I load a DVD and it didn't work. I got the below error. I downloaded drivers and got the same error. So wtf?

Sharpie Fetish
Got all the right codecs?

if not theres a program by the name of CCCP comes with just about every codec youll need
1UP
You could have just posted link to the site.lol... CCCP Is well known, strange you didn't have it in the first place. =o
DiO
Torrented some decoders. Works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.