Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Everybody watch this now!
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
Skinny 
20/20s Politically Incorrect Guide to Politics

[youtube]Phs6CwnutoY&feature=PlayList&p=01C9FEA0B8413A3B&playnext=1&index=23[/youtube]

[youtube]e11-_cE63Us&feature=PlayList&p=01C9FEA0B8413A3B&index=24[/youtube]

[youtube]vuL8teeuJD8&feature=PlayList&p=01C9FEA0B8413A3B&index=25[/youtube]

[youtube]8Pu6cT6ICQQ&feature=PlayList&p=01C9FEA0B8413A3B&index=26[/youtube]

[youtube]rTI9r4pUYh4&feature=PlayList&p=01C9FEA0B8413A3B&index=27[/youtube]

[youtube]hWVLr8Y18e0&feature=PlayList&p=01C9FEA0B8413A3B&index=28[/youtube]

Good to see that via this six part special, some truth is still being spit by the mainstream media.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
As a scientist rather than a social theorist, I would like to point out that the ridiculous ice-skating metaphor completely disregards all notions of greed and competition and is therefore not a good control.

I stopped watching shortly after I realised he was saying nothing of the shortcomings of the analogy.
Skinny 
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Jan 9 2009, 07:00 PM) [snapback]1478278[/snapback]
As a scientist rather than a social theorist, I would like to point out that the ridiculous ice-skating metaphor completely disregards all notions of greed and competition and is therefore not a good control.

I stopped watching shortly after I realized he was saying nothing of the shortcomings of the analogy.

Ice Skating is a good analogy, because under libertarianism (I assume that's what he's advocating, since he talked to people from CATO so much) unfair business practices would still be illegal, or in the case of the analogy, pushing other skaters over, but the government wouldn't tell everyone exactly how to run their own businesses they way they do now. Competition is a bad argument to use here, because competition does a better job of controlling prices and keeping wages reasonable high than protectionism, without sky rocketing unemployment and outsourcing jobs the way liberal-interventionism does.

You can't do much about greed in the market; you can try fixing prices, but that leads to the supplies running out etc. So there wasn't much need to mention it.

Anyway, you should definitely watch the rest - the direct, real life examples, like Habitat for Humanity out doing the government in New Orleans, or the farm subsidies all going to richer farmers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.