Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Needing help with dual monitors
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
DonkeyTits
So a friend gave me an old Viewsonic 19" lcd monitor, so now I am running it, along with my old 17" crt.

I am having few issues using applications with this setup. My main issue is gaming. If I have a game running in full screen on one monitor, and I click a window on the other monitor, it minimizes the game. If you guys are familiar with Steam, even with I Shift+Tab out of the game just to view the Steam friends list, and I click the other monitor, the game minimizes. I am running the game on my primary monitor, if it makes a difference... Thoughts? I tried googling the answer but found nothing. I tried running the game in a window, but it lagged everything down so bad for some reason, that I could barely move my mouse pointer across the screen. I don't want to run in a windows anyways. There's got to be a way to do it full screen . .
psychÝ
The reason it doesn't run well in a window is because the CPU isn't devoting itself to the program it is sharing the processor with the other applications so they all work, the whole point in it minimising is to free up processing power for the other applications.

It is how the game is designed that makes it minimise, I would guess there is a way to stop it but I don't think it would mean the computer would run that well.
DonkeyTits
Would a nice quad core and better graphics card allow it to run smooth, if windowed?
Right now I am running a simple AMD 2.1 oc'd to 2.8ghz
Graphics card is a x1950 GT something or other..
Qdeathstar
sounds simular to what you are talking about

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t215889.html

they say no.
DonkeyTits
Well the interesting thing with Steam is that one can bring up a friends list, or other in-game options without minimizing the game. It has the game running in the background while one can access the functions; functions which allow full mouse control. If I play a game in a window and I bring up my friends list, I am able to scroll outside the game's window.
psychÝ
QUOTE(DonkeyTits @ Dec 29 2008, 02:07 PM) [snapback]1477058[/snapback]
Well the interesting thing with Steam is that one can bring up a friends list, or other in-game options without minimizing the game. It has the game running in the background while one can access the functions; functions which allow full mouse control. If I play a game in a window and I bring up my friends list, I am able to scroll outside the game's window.

That is because steam is built into the game, it is pretty much a feature of the game, it just happens to be the same feature of many games and have a standalone version, X-fire is similar just a third party version, I am sure they could make Word and Firefox like that apart from it would be really annoying and pointless.
Qdeathstar
ynot just run in windowed mode as the posters on that forum suggested?
DonkeyTits
If I play in a window bigger than 800x600 it lags my system so bad that I can barely move my mouse across my screen(s). This rig isn't powerful enough to handle running a large game + windows + other miscellaneous applications.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.