Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For The Nerds
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
TheStig
I have Windows XP... I hate Vista.
I have ESET Smart Security as anti-virus and firewall.
My bandwidth at the house is 10Mbps

OK here is the deal. 4-5 months ago I was able to download torrents at speed of 1000+kbps while multitasking (surfing on the internet) like a bitch with my FireFox browser.
2 months ago the multitasking is gone and I can only download torrents with (Vuze, uTorrent, etc.). Everytime I go to the internet it's slow as hell like worse than AOL dial-up.
It's not the wireless router since I have replaced it and connected directly to modem. I am thinking it's Windows itself. Programs like Frostwire or Limewire is just fine without any hiccups on the internet browsing side.
Now not only the fucking download speed is crawling like a bitch (10kbps) with some spike (80kbps) I can't even browse the internet anymore with P2P torrent program is open.

Any fix?

Again it's not the router.
PabloHoneyOle
Torrent talk? *covers ears*

Looks like one of those torrents may have been corrupted with Spyware that is slowing down the performance.

I guess that's what happens when you don't pay for your copy of High School Musical 3.
TheStig
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Dec 8 2008, 11:04 PM) [snapback]1474460[/snapback]
Torrent talk? *covers ears*

Looks like one of those torrents may have been corrupted with Spyware that is slowing down the performance.

I guess that's what happens when you don't pay for your copy of High School Musical 3.

Unless you have anything smart to say, GTFO.

The computer has new HDD and XP installed.

I haven't downloaded anything. Plus did I say anything about illegal torrents? No, so again GTFO.
asthenia
Of all the amounts of legal thing's I can think of that would require 1000+ mbps to torrent, I can think of a million more illegal things.

I've always liked you, Reyes, but we ain't stupid.
TheStig
QUOTE(Asthenia @ Dec 9 2008, 04:51 PM) [snapback]1474554[/snapback]
Of all the amounts of legal thing's I can think of that would require 1000+ mbps to torrent, I can think of a million more illegal things.

I've always liked you, Reyes, but we ain't stupid.

I never said I am using it illegally or legally, but nonetheless my question still stand as legitimate because it's not specific to illegal download nor I am implying it to be. LOL I just sounded like a stck up bitch.
FrankCastle
If you have a second PC you can try to connect it to the network in place of your slow PC. It might help you figure out if it is a network problem or settings on the PC.

How is your connection speed when you're only browsing?
p2p always cripples my connection, especially torrents.
TheStig
Well my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th PC are all in the same network. This specific computer is the only one doing it and it happens to be my primary. I know it's about the torrent program or router because I was doing it before. The problem just popped up one day. My speed browsing the internet is fast. I have 10Mbps on Road Runner (Time Warner) available bandwidth. I used to have 50Mbps on FiOS but that's overkill.
Indy
Try system restore? I really don't know if that will help tbh, might be worth a try if you can't be arsed to troubleshoot it.
Sharpie Fetish
So youve reinstalled windows and no better?

Sounds like you ISP could be choking you (slowing you down) after how fast you were downloading months ago
asthenia
Nah Reyes it's okay, I have a subconsicous-trolling problem. Apologies. Try rolling back abit, my mum had the same problem so I did that for her and it worked a treat. Might not work for you (thanks M$), but it's worth a try...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.