Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TIME's Top 10 Video Games of 2008; Guess Who Won
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Important Information > Site News
FuddMan
Popular newsmagazine TIME has released its list of Top 10 Video Games of 2008, placing GTA IV right at the top, above other serious competitors such as LittleBigPlanet, Gears of War 2 and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Here's the full listing:

1. Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3, 360, PC)
2. Braid (360)
3. LittleBigPlanet (PS3)
4. Rock Band 2 (360, PS3)
5. Gears of War 2 (360)
6. Dead Space (360, PS3, PC)
7. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Wii, 360, PS3, DS, PSP)
8. Hunted Forever (free Flash)
9. Fieldrunners (iPhone)
10. Spore (PC)

No doubt this is just the first of many GOTY 2008 awards GTA IV can expect to receive within the next couple of months or so.

If you're interested in the full breakdown for this category, click the link below for the full article.

[Time.com]
DiO
What the fuck is Braid and what is it doing above LBP? Meh, Time doesn't know shit about video games. Though it is good to see video games getting more recognition.
bOnEs
yea... where's fallout 3? i think that's the game of the year IMO...

and how did they figure out what the top 10 games were? sales, downloads, office pool?
FuddMan
QUOTE(Ayreon @ Dec 8 2008, 07:34 PM) [snapback]1474398[/snapback]
What the fuck is Braid and what is it doing above LBP? Meh, Time doesn't know shit about video games. Though it is good to see video games getting more recognition.

Braid is some user-made Xbox Live Arcade game. Some people thought it was the shit, but most people agreed it wasn't worth the pricetag, which kinda chucks its eligibility for GOTY out the window imo. So the short answer is: fuck knows. LBP should have taken the second spot for sure, and as bOnEs said^, Fallout 3 should be on the somewhere.
Indy
lol, i dno how Star Wars beat fallout 3 tbh
aussie_b8ler
Where is MGS4? Surely that would make the top 10.
Qdeathstar
I've played that "Haunted Forever" game, and its a good flash game, but a top video game? Better than MSG4 or fallout3? No way...

I just get a feeling a lot of the Game of the Year awards published in non gaming magazines are written by causual gamers, non gamers, or are written with an agenda... (ie sponsored)
DiO
QUOTE(Sittin @ Dec 8 2008, 04:17 PM) [snapback]1474408[/snapback]
I've played that "Haunted Forever" game, and its a good flash game, but a top video game? Better than MSG4 or fallout3? No way...

I just get a feeling a lot of the Game of the Year awards published in non gaming magazines are written by causual gamers, non gamers, or are written with an agenda... (ie sponsored)

Abso-fucking-lutely. Rock Band 2, LBP and spore are casual-esque. Only LBP deserves to be there. Star Wars is there for the sake of it being star wars.
Sheep
Never heard of braid either, or number 8 or 9 o_O
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Dec 8 2008, 11:40 AM) [snapback]1474400[/snapback]
yea... where's fallout 3? i think that's the game of the year IMO...

For real!
asthenia
Free flash game on a top ten list.

My ass just packed it's bags and left, laughing all the way to God knows where.
1UP
Any list without MGS4 only says they don't know shit!

Also the force unleashed was an awful game, it shouldn't even be in the top 50. X_x
BioSphere
None of them games compare to GTA IV. Thats why it was first. I'm not downing GTA IV one bit but seriously, put some competition on the list.

Keep Gears Of War On There
Put Resistance 2 on there
I dont care much for the game but SR2
Call Of Duty WaW
Put some good stuff up there
bOnEs
QUOTE(BioSphere @ Dec 9 2008, 02:26 PM) [snapback]1474495[/snapback]
None of them games compare to GTA IV. Thats why it was first. I'm not downing GTA IV one bit but seriously, put some competition on the list.

Keep Gears Of War On There
Put Resistance 2 on there
I dont care much for the game but SR2
Call Of Duty WaW
Put some good stuff up there

hell yea, saints row 2 was a fun little gem... i'm not sure if it's top 10 material but, it's gotta be better than those flash games laugh.gif...
CygnusX
Makes me wonder what sources Time used to put this list together. They probably aren't very up to date when it comes to games.
Indy
The games are taken from a wide range of media formats. So there is the best iPhone game, best PC game, best DS game, best Wii game, best game on all consoles, best free flash game lol. I think that's how this is working.
Ex-PS Fanboy
I disagree with this list completely.

Also, does anyone know when the Spike VG awards are?
BioSphere
QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Dec 10 2008, 10:36 AM) [snapback]1474590[/snapback]
I disagree with this list completely.

Also, does anyone know when the Spike VG awards are?

Sun, Dec. 14th at 9PM/10C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.