Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the hell?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > GTA 4 PC Discussion
Lord_Randy
For some bizarre reason, Rockstar has decided to decide for you on your graphics settings. And thats it. Last word.
You practically cant change anything appert from tweak it slightly.
ok I here's my beef with Gta4 and Rockstar.

I have Core 2 quad q6600 2.4ghz
2GB 800mhz ddr2
Abit fatal1ty mbd
and geforce 8800GTS

... Now why the hell will it only let me put the settings to a maximum of 1024x768, low texture quality and view distance of 20?
I mean WTF? Rockstar really are bad at coding. dont give me the pap about my pc specs lol. I know it's not 'hardcore' lol thats because I have a life and other things and people to spend my hard earned cash on.
But come on, It should easily run it on a minimum of medium settings..... seen as it meets recommended specs n'all?
HMMMM I reckon VALVE should have coded this game for the pc! most of you should know what I mean tongue.gif

Oh well, thats my beef.. sorry for the rant guys :/

cheers!
Sheep
You can get round it by right clicking the shortcut on the desktop>Properties> Then in the "Target" field, after what is already in there put a space and then "-norestrictions" (It should look something like "C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -norestrictions)P

Press ok then load the game again, it should let you set them to whatever you want.

But remember if you set them too high this could cause problems with textures and frame rate etc
Thrifty94
QUOTE( Sheep @ Dec 8 2008, 10:43 AM) [snapback]1474366[/snapback]
You can get round it by right clicking the shortcut on the desktop>Properties> Then in the "Target" field, after what is already in there put a space and then "-norestrictions" (It should look something like "C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -norestrictions)P

Press ok then load the game again, it should let you set them to whatever you want.

But remember if you set them too high this could cause problems with textures and frame rate etc

This can be done, but as you said FR will take a hit, best thing you could do right now is just wait for the patch to come out which will hopefully fix a lot of these problems
Bart22
I dont understand why the system requirements is so high i have:

Intel pentium d 2.0ghz processor
2gig corsair xms2 ram
ATI radeon hd3850 512mb

it wont run properly...
am i doin something wrong someone please help me...
Sheep
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/bonus...&submit2=Go

Pretty neat, scans your hardware and tells you if you can run the game, so it will tell you why you cant run it.
HELMET
It's the 8800 GTS. I had one till I got this game, and me being the big graphics whore that I am I decided to get a more powerful card. Get a card with 2gb vram.
Bart22
QUOTE( Sheep @ Dec 11 2008, 11:51 PM) [snapback]1474762[/snapback]
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/bonus...&submit2=Go

Pretty neat, scans your hardware and tells you if you can run the game, so it will tell you why you cant run it.

THX ill try that...i love gta,i always have but GTA IV has alot of graphical shi#,and that quite frankly makez me angry...why didnt they sort it out before the launch? we ATI fans cant play it and it isnt just me complaining...
HEAT84
It says my graphic card does not pass but all the features of the card do pass? Its an 8400 GS. The model doesn't pass but its features do.WTF LOL? Also it recommends 2.5 GB of RAM. I have XP. The 2.5 GB Recommendation is supposed to be for Vista. Would having a 3 or 4 core CPU make that much of a difference over a dual core?
HELMET
Note for all ATI 4870 X2 users, if you get low fps starting out on a load game it seems to be only temporary for like maybe 2 minutes or so. Just ride around a block a couple of times and then the frames even out and makes it eventually playable. There seems to be some sort of preload size limiter like how oblivion works, but GTA IV acts like it is loading 1 massive cell that covers the whole city (polys) on 1 load, then loads the textures to the polys as you approach the programmed distance for the textures to load. Somehow i think that is what's wrong with some textures loading too slow sometimes is the preload size limit somehow exceeds itself in a manner that your vram cannot adjust to. So I think maybe there should be a longer load time. I know that sucks but that's what I think is wrong. That would also explain why the GTA III and GTA Vice City ports played so well because it had more load times, so we was given a more realistic experience at the cost of performance for IV. But how possible would it be for them to totally redo the whole pc port just to fix this? Because that's exactly what it would take to fix it.

Then theres the missing texture problem where shadows and hdr light sources are turned to black (looks like oil all over the screen). I believe this is a scaling issue combined with the shadow density bug. If your an ATI user then I'm pretty sure you know what the shadow density bug is.
If you get this problem, try adjusting your resolution and eventually the problem goes away after rescaling your resolution about 4 or 5 times. I usually have to do this every time I want to play. It sucks but I don't give a s*** because I've been wanting to play this f***ing thing for a long time now.

Fps are usually anywhere from 30 to 40. Rarely do I get 26 to 29, just in some tiny areas that don't really effect the overall experience, it's a port anyway so it pretty much performs like a console game as it is. Not much more you can do for the damn thing.

Oh, and I play with vsync off as well and the screen tear is barely noticable. Gives an extra 4 fps, and i play without using "p" cuz that s*** hurts my eyes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.