Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crash, freeze
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > GTA 4 PC Discussion
crowbar192
Hi,

I played GTA since the beginning and I was very eager to play GTA IV on the pc. But like a lot of people, GTA IV doesn't run or runs very poorly on the pc. It's the same case with my pc. After 2 hours of installing all the s**t that was needed to run GTA IV, I finally came to launch the game. To my surprise the first time I went to fiddle with some sound controls and graphic controls I freezed, got a blue screen and resetted. After changing drivers (newest) I did come a bit further, I managed to get behind the intro of a "new game". When I drive a few meters, it just either freezes or crashes back to desktop. There's no way I can play it right now. And I seriously hope they will fix this problem cause I don't think it's just me. Why is it that people with low-end pc's can run it extremely good and I got a pretty mid-high end range pc and it just crashes. IMO I bet Rockstar will fix it sooner or later cause if they won't, they lose a lot of fans and reputation. Securom anyone?

(could be me, but didn't GTA III also run like s**t when it first got released? and after some fixes it ran good?)

My Specs:
Motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
Processor: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 3,2 GHZ
Memory: 4 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM
Video Card: Asus GTX 260 TOP (896mb)
Sound Card: Creative Audigy 4
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (SP3)
CygnusX
QUOTE(crowbar192 @ Dec 3 2008, 11:12 PM) [snapback]1473798[/snapback]
could be me, but didn't GTA III also run like s**t when it first got released? and after some fixes it ran good?)

Not that I know of, I've never experienced any such stuff with GTA3 v1.0.

I regret to inform you that, well, I have no clue how to fix your problem. Sucks to know though, my specs are similar to yours. I'm reading up on all kinds of boards (bigger ones) and see what's up, maybe you'll find your answer there. That's pretty much all the advice I can give you now. Unfortunately I have to wait for my copy to arrive, 'til then I can't really help anyone I guess.

You're probably going to have to wait for fixes and patches. Like 90% of other PC Gamers, I'm afraid.
crowbar192
QUOTE(CygnusX @ Dec 3 2008, 11:20 PM) [snapback]1473799[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply.

I guess it was better to wait till january '09 when they release it with no bugs, but I guess they chose this option since it's close to Christmas. Oh well a patch should come sooner or later I hope, at least I heard they are working as we speak on a patch.

BTW: Other than the crashes, it did run fairly smooth till the crash that is.
Maiden_Soldier_nr666
QUOTE(crowbar192 @ Dec 3 2008, 11:24 PM) [snapback]1473801[/snapback]
QUOTE(CygnusX @ Dec 3 2008, 11:20 PM) [snapback]1473799[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply.

I guess it was better to wait till january '09 when they release it with no bugs, but I guess they chose this option since it's close to Christmas. Oh well a patch should come sooner or later I hope, at least I heard they are working as we speak on a patch.

BTW: Other than the crashes, it did run fairly smooth till the crash that is.

I have about the same problem. I have all the neccesary stuff so it`s strange why it can`t work.
HELMET
What is your PSU?

Also, it seems alot of ASUS mobos are having similar issues. I use the M2A-VM.

I really believe the optimization issue is with the power management involved in the coding, and how it communicates with the GPU. Somehow it seems like it is purposely bottlenecking GPU power for CPU power. Or, its just faulty coding that is making the bottlenecking.

I guess the game is intended for future PCs because it will take ten years for a GPU designed to be powerful enough to compensate for the loss of power due to bad coding.

What a great way to cover up the mistake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.