Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Thoughts On The PC Version (So Far)
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > GTA 4 PC Discussion
Psy
Don't really like it.

Reasons:
  • Takes about an hour to install
  • You've then got to install Rockstar Games Social Club to your PC and launch it every time you want to play the game
  • You've got to install Games For Windows Live or whatever it is
  • When you try to run the game while signed into Social Club, you get an error and it crashes. Only solution is to play signed out meaning you cant play multiplayer.
  • The game won't pick up any other controllers apart from Microsoft's official Xbox controller for windows. Even using a work around to bind keyboard keys to my PS2 controller doesn't work because you pretty much have to assign every single different action in game to a separate key so there's no way to have all of the actions assigned to about 11 different buttons.
  • The game has poor FPS, despite my hardware being almost identical to the reccommended specs (20 FPS would be unplayable with most other games).
  • Shadows look dodgy.
  • It's a pain to use a mouse and keyboard, especially having to constantly move the mouse so that you can see where you're driving.
  • Not really a problem for most people, but Rockstar have tried to make the game hack-proof. I've been trying to alter memory values to get stuff like infinite ammo so I could make a small trainer, but currently, there doesn't seem to be a way to change memory values in-game. All I managed to do was get the phone to display "Psy Owns" instead of "GUN - Advanced" for the weapons cheat, but editing text in the memory is easier than editing integer values.
The graphics are arguably quite good. Nothing different to the Xbox as far as I'm concerned though (if you ignore the fact I'm running it at 1680x1050).

Hopefully some or most of that will be fixed in a patch, but to be honest after wasting about 4 hours of my day trying to mess with it to get it playable in a comfortable fashion (without having to buy a friggin official Xbox controller, seeing as my current two controllers aren't even fucking compatible with windows....), I'm beginning to wish I'd just saved my money.

The video editor looks cool though, but I can't be arsed with the time it would take to make something decent.
Benzilla
What an upset sad.gif
Psy
It looks like the game refuses to run if you modify ANY of the data files, so doing even simple mods to the vehicle handling appears to be impossible. Could just be my pc acting up, but from the looks of it, Rockstar really want to prevent users doing ANYTHING but playing the game the way they made it...
1UP
Wow, a solid hour install? I have never even seen an install half that long... No modding, guess this means securerom or w/e fucked the version some of us were anticipating more then the consul version. If no modding, PC version is pretty useless. Might not be your PC Psy checking forums at places like Gamespot, IGN, this is normal apparently apart from the FPS. I am guessing recommended means playing at normal settings with no high?

No modding defo means I wont be getting it (My Gaming PC only meets the recommended). There gonna need one big fucking patch from the looks of it. >:(
Psy
The thing that has pissed me off completely is the fact that you can't use a different controller or re-do the controls properly. Someone explain to me why the button for ON FOOT "action" cannot be used for something totally different IN A VEHICLE?
hunty
QUOTE(Psy @ Dec 3 2008, 05:56 PM) [snapback]1473722[/snapback]
The thing that has pissed me off completely is the fact that you can't use a different controller or re-do the controls properly. Someone explain to me why the button for ON FOOT "action" cannot be used for something totally different IN A VEHICLE?

Dont sell it mate tehre will be some patches that will near the time and your the only 1 person who has tried to mod it atm so poeple will still hack it
Psy
I don't want to buy a game and then have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for them to patch it so that I can play it. I'll be getting about 4 new games for Christmas which I will be playing right out of the box, so why should I hang onto GTA4 when it's effectively unplayable to me? Unless I use totally awkward mouse and keyboard controls, I need to go out and spend £30 on an Xbox controller to play the game I want to play it...

Treyarch released their Mod Tools for Call of Duty: World At War about 3 weeks after the game (and they patched the game on release day). Rockstar have never released mod tools, and this time they're actively preventing the use of mods. All I'm saying is you better really want this game on PC if you're going to get it, because if you've already got it on the console (or both of them as I have), then there is almost no reason to own it on PC apart from to get completely frustrated by it.
hunty
Im sure there is someway of doin another control pad

If you can wait i will test mine out tommorow or the next day if i get it then tongue.gif i dont want someone to be so dissopointed in this game
1UP
QUOTE(hunty @ Dec 3 2008, 01:01 PM) [snapback]1473725[/snapback]
QUOTE(Psy @ Dec 3 2008, 05:56 PM) [snapback]1473722[/snapback]

Dont sell it mate tehre will be some patches that will near the time and your the only 1 person who has tried to mod it atm so poeple will still hack it

Although this is true, hacking to mod will be quite an inconvenience an may get you banned from being able to play your copy online, I say that because of the securerom thing the game may be a dead trap of frustration no matter what we do, which Psy seems to clearly be showing... I am wondering atm if that controller thing is part of that 50 million deal with Microsoft, after all who knows what they made Rockstar do, and right now I am finding allot of this kind of odd... Then again it is Rockstars fault either way.

The only light I can see however is if some people out there do what they did with San Andreas which will make it pretty much like before unless securerom prevents that as well, but may be out of reach for normal people... If Rockstar do patch it, it will have to be quite a big patch... I can't see them finding the work effort worth it after going thru all this to attempt locking the game from pirated copies.
Psy
QUOTE(hunty @ Dec 3 2008, 05:09 PM) [snapback]1473727[/snapback]

If you can wait i will test mine out tommorow or the next day if i get it then tongue.gif i dont want someone to be so dissopointed in this game

It's possible someone can find a hack to let you manually configure your controls in-game, and assign 2 different actions to the same button. Then using a program called XPadder it's possible to assign keyboard buttons to a gamepad's buttons which would effectively let you use your controller to play the game. But the main problem is the actual way Rockstar have set up the game so that you need almost every single action to be assigned to a separate button.

Yes, all of this is blatantly because of the contract with Microsoft and the fact that they've made it "Games For Windows" compatible, but surely they didn't need to completely REMOVE support for all other controllers, rather than just enable the usage of the 360 controller. Oh wait, Microsoft probably made them so that people will fork over £30 (which is more than the price I paid for the game).

I've read that if you play the game fully offline, then securom allows you to use modded files, but that's a complete pain in itself. The main reason I got this was for the modding and Rockstar are trying to prevent it.
hunty
QUOTE(Psy @ Dec 3 2008, 06:16 PM) [snapback]1473733[/snapback]

It's possible someone can find a hack to let you manually configure your controls in-game, and assign 2 different actions to the same button. Then using a program called XPadder it's possible to assign keyboard buttons to a gamepad's buttons which would effectively let you use your controller to play the game. But the main problem is the actual way Rockstar have set up the game so that you need almost every single action to be assigned to a separate button.

Yes, all of this is blatantly because of the contract with Microsoft and the fact that they've made it "Games For Windows" compatible, but surely they didn't need to completely REMOVE support for all other controllers, rather than just enable the usage of the 360 controller. Oh wait, Microsoft probably made them so that people will fork over £30 (which is more than the price I paid for the game).

I've read that if you play the game fully offline, then securom allows you to use modded files, but that's a complete pain in itself. The main reason I got this was for the modding and Rockstar are trying to prevent it.

Okay then. It dosant realy matter to me because i have a 360 but why dont you buy the cheap pad for around £20 that is a madcatz one. But i aint stoppin you takin it back if you want to do that
Psy
QUOTE(hunty @ Dec 3 2008, 05:18 PM) [snapback]1473734[/snapback]
QUOTE(Psy @ Dec 3 2008, 06:16 PM) [snapback]1473733[/snapback]

Okay then. It dosant realy matter to me because i have a 360 but why dont you buy the cheap pad for around £20 that is a madcatz one. But i aint stoppin you takin it back if you want to do that

I already have a game pad for the PC. The whole point is that you HAVE to use a Microsoft controller otherwise you can't set up your controls properly.
TwoFacedTanner
God that sounds like complete shit.
No modding? Come on.
Thats the only reason I play games on PC.

I was jealous at the PC version because of that replay editor and stuff now I don't care haha.
GLC
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Dec 3 2008, 05:40 PM) [snapback]1473741[/snapback]
I was jealous at the PC version because of that replay editor and stuff now I don't care haha.

hunty
QUOTE(GLC @ Dec 3 2008, 06:48 PM) [snapback]1473743[/snapback]

Now i dont think many people are gunna buy the game
OptimumPx
Wow, that sucks....

So, if you buy the game you have to jump though hoops just to play it...nice. >_>

Also from what I read if you steal it and download it illegally the game is designed to glitch in various ways that make the game impossible to complete.

Fucked if you do, fucked if you don't I suppose. sleep.gif
FuddMan
QUOTE(hunty @ Dec 3 2008, 05:55 PM) [snapback]1473747[/snapback]
QUOTE(GLC @ Dec 3 2008, 06:48 PM) [snapback]1473743[/snapback]

Now i dont think many people are gunna buy the game

Nah, lots of people will buy it. It is GTA afterall, and all the usual gaming websites have given it brilliant scores. I expect there'll be a lot of returns though. Unfortunately we never get to see those figures, I reckon they'd make interesting reading.
DrS
angry.gif  Rockstar shit on the pc fanboy's by letting Rockstar Toronto doing the port of GTA IV (The Warriors, Bully Wii) : Console developers + home made engine... these console developers are not mean to do such a thing.

GTA IV was first developped for Xbox360, then they made a port to the PS3... Using low-level programming on these architectures, so they are fully optimized.

All we can do now is wait for the most anticipated patch of this year...

GillsMan
What an absolute joke. Got in at 5:45pm this evening and have only just, within the last half hour, managed to get GTA IV "playable". I had to install SP3 for XP (which, tbf, is stated in the Min Requirements, so while I'm not happy I can't really moan). Absolute fucking nightmare sorting out the Social Club and Windows Live bollocks - I don't want that shit on my system, so I'm very, very unhappy.
CygnusX
So, my copy is somewhere in a plane on its way to my home and what I am looking forward to is probably one big pile of bugs. I hope I'm wrong.

You make some good points Psy and I think the vast majority of us will find your post very agreeable, because they share your opinion and experience the same shit you do. I'm sure I will when I try to get it to work. There is one point I just cannot seem to agree with, though. It's this one.

It's a pain to use a mouse and keyboard, especially having to constantly move the mouse so that you can see where you're driving.

Dear Psy, if you really feel that way...

Not everyone can handle WASD and the mouse well at the same time. Nor can everyone handle a controller well, I know I can't and never will nor will I ever want to. Same probably goes more or less for other PC fanboys out there!

I've been reading up on the various GTA forums and this much shit just can't be good. Even though I don't have the game yet, I think I can say that the above picture readily applies to Rockstar Toronto as well. Congratulations guys, you're doing it wrong. Better luck next time.
Psy
QUOTE(CygnusX @ Dec 3 2008, 09:51 PM) [snapback]1473792[/snapback]
So, my copy is somewhere in a plane on its way to my home and what I am looking forward to is probably one big pile of bugs. I hope I'm wrong.

You make some good points Psy and I think the vast majority of us will find your post very agreeable, because they share your opinion and experience the same shit you do. I'm sure I will when I try to get it to work. There is one point I just cannot seem to agree with, though. It's this one.

It's a pain to use a mouse and keyboard, especially having to constantly move the mouse so that you can see where you're driving.

Not everyone can handle WASD and the mouse well at the same time. Nor can everyone handle a controller well, I know I can't and never will nor will I ever want to. Same probably goes more or less for other PC fanboys out there!

I've been reading up on the various GTA forums and this much shit just can't be good. Even though I don't have the game yet, I think I can say that the above picture readily applies to Rockstar Toronto as well. Congratulations guys, you're doing it wrong. Better luck next time.

Fair point, but normally I wouldn't have a problem with mouse and keyboard. I've got nearly every first person shooter available on PC because mouse and keyboard is infinitely better than a controller, but for games like this, I find them much easier to control with a gamepad. The only problem with GTA4 is that if you use the keyboard to drive, the camera doesn't auto-adjust to follow the back of the car. You need to keep doing that manually with the mouse which makes it hard to turn at any kind of speed without being half blinded by the camera.
CygnusX
QUOTE(Psy @ Dec 4 2008, 12:02 AM) [snapback]1473806[/snapback]
QUOTE(CygnusX @ Dec 3 2008, 09:51 PM) [snapback]1473792[/snapback]

Fair point, but normally I wouldn't have a problem with mouse and keyboard. I've got nearly every first person shooter available on PC because mouse and keyboard is infinitely better than a controller, but for games like this, I find them much easier to control with a gamepad. The only problem with GTA4 is that if you use the keyboard to drive, the camera doesn't auto-adjust to follow the back of the car. You need to keep doing that manually with the mouse which makes it hard to turn at any kind of speed without being half blinded by the camera.
Wait, what? The camera does not adjust, like in San Andreas?
Psy
It takes about 5 seconds for it to swing around meaning for most of the time you're staring at the side of the car. Even if you counter-act the swing with the mouse it's still hard to keep it right behind the vehicle.

As far as this topic is concerned... I've calmed down quite a bit now and went through and set up all my controls again. Using that XPadder program I've got the game to play about as close as possible to the default controls on the console which isn't too bad. Even got the start button of my PS2 controller assigned to take screenshots using Fraps.

The graphics are pretty amazing on high settings and my PC can run it fairly well. Only problem is the frame rate, which to be fair is constant, but it's generally constant at about 25 FPS, 18 ish at night, then 15 ish in heavy fog. A graphics driver update might improve this but I doubt it because the game is just that hardware intensive.

I still don't like the camera swing, lack of mods and lack of trainer/memory editing ability, but it is working ok for me at the minute. It's playable, but I'd like a few more FPS without having to knock down the graphics.
1UP
Far as modding goes (so far), saw gaming posted this.

opium_addict's Rocket Glock makes the Glock shoot RPGs
Members over at GTAForums have been hard at work the past couple days in getting the PC version of GTA IV to be played with modded files. Out of the box, the game will not run if any of your files differ from the originals (there may be several reasons behind this, including protection from online cheating or maybe Rockstar Games just got shaken up by the whole Hot Coffee mod incident with San Andreas).

However, a couple of patches have been released to help you get by this, so take your pick (NOTE: these files are not cracks or pirated material. You need to already have the full game to make any of this work!):

* GTA IV Launcher injector by opium_addict
* File Modding Ability Patch by aru

Right now the extent of modding capabilities is seemingly limited to small text editing, such as vehicle handling or weapon properties, but things are moving very rapidly. The folks at OpenIV have been working on a very promising all-purpose modding tool for months now, and its release will drasitcally expand GTA IV's modding horizons.

For those that are new to the GTA modding scene, I've compiled a very simple tutorial on our forums to help you make a handling mod. If you've ever modded a GTA data file before, it may be a bit tedious for you. Don't forget to share any modifications that you create, no matter how simple they are!

Sounds like it took them hella work just to mod handling and weapon properties.
cuda is your boi
As Cygnus said, I have problems playing with CONTROLLERS, grew up with WASD and mouse tongue.gif.

Anyway, still don't have my copy, this post is quite scary though.
Roman
Call of Duty WaW is really shit, do you seriously like that game?

With all due respect to the people who died during the two great wars, the WWII theme in games has been done to death and it is really fucking annoying.

And you're complaining about GTA IV not running? How about a decent Call of Duty game instead of going back to world war fucking two again? I thought they had learned from Modern Warfare.
CygnusX
QUOTE(Roman @ Dec 10 2008, 12:13 AM) [snapback]1474529[/snapback]
Call of Duty WaW is really shit, do you seriously like that game?

With all due respect to the people who died during the two great wars, the WWII theme in games has been done to death and it is really fucking annoying.

And you're complaining about GTA IV not running? How about a decent Call of Duty game instead of going back to world war fucking two again? I thought they had learned from Modern Warfare.
If you want to be heard, that's fine, but not when going offtopic. Visit the Other Games subforum and you will find these topics in which you can voice your opinion.

http://www.gta4.tv/forums/index.php?showtopic=789852
http://www.gta4.tv/forums/index.php?showtopic=790265

Please refrain from offtopic posts, thanks.
HELMET
As for the controller issue, here is an attachment with a workaround. I got my Saitek Rumble Force to work using this. Just place the files in the folder in your GTA IV Program Files directory. Theres a readme included.
CygnusX
Right, so my copy arrived this morning and I have managed to get it running after a tedious install of the game itself and all the other crap you are forced to install.

I am _very_ disappointed with the graphical performance, I have quite a beast breezing beside my desk and this is not acceptable. I have tried the WHQL 180.48 drivers and the 180.84 beta drivers and they make little difference.

Here is what my game usually looks like:

Fuckin' A!

Right.

Mind you, the EVGA info in the top left when it comes to fps is not true, I mean, I am standing still in the frame and am not moving. When I move/driver/whatever the framerate drops to 30-35fps and it looks severely botched.

BTW, Psy, you're right about the camera while driving. It is annoying, especially as it sometimes not even autoadjust back when you make a turn. Now that is very fucking annoying.

So, along with pretty much everyone else, I am waiting for the patch. I refuse to play the game looking and performing the way it does.
reform
This is pretty fucking unacceptable, I can't believe this game was allowed to ship. Did they even play it before packing it up and sending it out?

Added to that, the fact that mods for this game will be near impossible is very dissapointing, and I was counting on mods to expand the lifespan of this game right up until the next GTA.

No biscuit for you R*. You have been a bad. bad boy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.