Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grand Theft Auto IV PC
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > GTA 4 PC Discussion
mattyblog
Since Rockstar Games first announced the PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV at the Leipzig Games Convention in Germany on 22nd August 2008 many details have been revealed about what exclusive features will be available in the PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV. Well now you can read it all in an easy to read preview, this information is broken down into a bullet point system and split into sections to make for easy reading, so lets get to it shall we?

Single Player

* The GPS map has been improved. You can now point and click with the mouse on a specific location and make notes or add images to personalize it.
* With no surprise, aiming on PC version is much easier.
* The camera work allows the user so much creative freedom. It's possible to switch between a bunch of camera view pre-sets such as Chest, Overhead, Front and Rear. You can also move into free-cam or revolve the angle around different target points which are designated to other NPCs within a certain radius of Niko's position in the game world.
* Variables such as field of vision (a techie word for zoom), pitch (height), as well as the ability to revolve the camera around any fixed point offer near limitless amounts of scope.
* Wall hugging bugs from console has made it to PC - When up against certain walls or cars you still sometimes can't always peak around to shoot which causes some frustration to the player.
* Fingerless Gloves added for Niko
* Birds-Eye Camera View.

Multiplayer

* New filters in multiplayer games offering a greater variety of customization of games.
* In multiplayer games, players can customize their search preferences for matches, e.g. type of race, location etc.
* With no surprise, aiming on PC version is much easier.
* Traffic density can be controlled via the menu by way of a slider.
* Bizarre decision has been made regarding multiplayer - You need to log into Rockstar's Social club AND Windows Live to be be able to log into the game online.
* The Online section will minimize Grand Theft Auto IV and will take you directly to the Rockstar Games Social Club TV website using your default web browser. There you can view clips others have uploaded as well as rate clips and comment on them.
* PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV includes a maximum of 32-player online multiplayer matches
* New Multiplayer Clothes added to increase your choices.

Controllers

* Support for both gamepad and keyboard/mouse play.
* Players will be able to use their Xbox 360 controller or traditional keyboard to play the game.
* Can also be used simultaneously (drive with controller, on-foot shooting with keyboard and mouse, for example).
* Save by hitting the “back” button at any point on your Xbox 360 controller which you can swap for a mouse and keyboard if you wish.
* Keyboard and Mouse feels effortless to drive with, there seems no issues with this combo in general (mouse obviously being brilliant to aim with).

Graphics

* The maximum supported screen resolution is 2560x1600.
* Graphics will be "polished well beyond what they were on the 360 and PS3".
* Visuals look more polished, and lighting is more realistic and there's a much higher level of detail on both characters and environments. Movement animations are also said to be smoother.
* Improved streaming will be possible with the power of todays processors. If you have seen cars on the road that matched the car you are driving, this has been somewhat fixed. More pedestrians and vehicles will be visible.
* Game looks amazing with a Dual Core and a 8800 card. It did have some major framerate wobbles, nothing fatal though.

Custom Soundtrack

* Custom radio station is called Independence FM.
* Also, there's the option of your own music in game. By lobbing music files into a set folder, you can play them on the new radio station, Independence FM
* This can be used as a simple track player or - if you give the chance for the game to have a little think before playing - turned into a full radio station, complete with news bulletins and DJs insulting your choice in music.
* Players will be able to custom build a soundtrack for their creations by selecting music from the existing list of radio stations in GTA IV. You can even add add text to playback at any point along the Time Bar and the editor has supplied a variety of fonts, colors, and sizes for this feature.

Video Editor

* Access the editor from Niko's phone. Save hundreds of clips and chain multiple clips together before merging them into one fluid production.
* Clips can be saved and edited, using a variety of tools such as video filters and switching camera angles.
* Clips can be put together into a sequence and saved. Share your videos via R* Social Club.
* Final videos can be exported in resolutions of 640×480, 720p and full 1080p. The Rockstar Games Social Club will be equipped to upload and share your videos with others.
* At any time during the game (single or multiplayer), press the F2 key to dump a chunk of footage to your hard drive. Depending on how data intensive things are in the world at that time, the clip should be about 30 to 40 seconds long. Captured footage will be the action that occurs PRIOR to pressing F2. Note that if you have a slower machine, you also have the option to turn off this feature altogether.
* All the raw footage you've captured in-game can be viewed quickly in the Clips section. There are standard DVD style controls for video playback. In addition, you can hold down the right mouse button to move the camera and view your clip from alternate angles and then update your clip thumbnail making it easy to organize your clips.
* The section labeled Gallery contains all of the complete, exported videos. By default, the last exported video is displayed in the preview window. The thumbnails on the right side of the screen are arranged with the most recent ones appearing at the top.
* In the section labeled Upload, players can submit their exported web videos to the Social Club. The left side of the screen shows local videos that you have created. The right side is a web portal displaying all the videos that you have uploaded.

Replay Feature

* New for PC version is a replay editor, buffering up to 30 seconds of game play in your history. Stop the game at any time to view footage.
* 30 seconds replays will return for both single and multiplayers.
* The replay editor can record, save and edit the last 30 seconds of the game. Once you have saved your video, you can open another piece of internal software in order to change the point of view and add special effects. The montage editor allows you to edit various replays into a single sequence, add audio tracks from the official soundtrack of the game and add effects like transition from a sequence to another. You can then upload and publish your videos to the Rockstar Social Club to share them with the world.
* Hit F2 during offline play to record 30 to 60 second clips. Length is automatically determined by what's going on onscreen.
* Game ships with a replay editor to edit your videos, similar to that of modern day non-destructive video editors. Basic stuff such as adding clips together on a timeline, adding effects and changing camera angles. Examples of effects include green-tinted and sepia toned filters, as well as the ability to adjust the audio level. Text effects can also be added.
* Markers can be set at any point along the Time Bar in the editor to initiate a change of camera angle/field of vision, a different filter for the display, slowing down/speeding up the playback speed, or even adding music and text.

Development

* PC version was worked on during the development process of the console versions, with a team of about 50 members.
* Because the game is build for Microsoft's Games for Windows platform, it has Live integration. So all the usual stuff such as “achievements, friends lists, voice communication, multiplayer anti-cheating technology, and distributed worldwide servers for robust online play”.
* The game data is on TWO DVDs. You're required to have 16GB of free space on your hard drive in order to install so those who are buying digital versions should be prepared for a long wait for their data to download from the internet.

Settings

* There are nine speed settings. -4 to 4 with 0 being default speed.
* You can choose from Sketch, Sepia, Noire and Cinema for some of the filters, but I beg of you to not overuse them like so many people do with real life videos. Green, Red and Colors are other filters. Colors has fluorescent primary colors. The editor's Green filter is similar to a night vision camera but without the interference. Red is reminiscent of the bleed-out screen in Gears of War.

Security

* Initial activation requires internet connection before you play GTA IV, if you don't activate the game then you won't be able to play it (Anti-piracy feature)
* The game will use SecuROM Digital Rights Management software.
* SecuROM offers a diverse toolset to publishers to help safeguard their IP and interests. Vocal ‘board posters' seem to be most down on the SecuROM feature that limits the number of installations. But this SecuROM functionality is really nothing different than what iTunes has used for years now.
* The disc-based version of the game can be installed on an unlimited number of computers at a time, while buyers from services like Steam or Direct2Drive will only be able to install on a maxmium of 5 machines simultaneously. All versions of the game must be activated once per machine before play, and the company says that it has a contingency plan for users who don't have an internet connection - visit a website.
* In addition to SecuROM, the game will also fill your drive with 16GB of game and other data including versions of Adobe Flash, Internet Explorer, DirectX, Games for Windows LIVE and the Microsoft .net framework.
* To play multiplayer, you have to have a (free, I stress) Games for Windows account plus another one for the Rockstar Social Club. You can skip the login of the latter (if you don't want multiplayer or uploading videos), but it does have to be running in the background.
* For Steam users, it's three processes in the background. It's not a lot of hassle, certainly, but it is a bit of hassle, and worth knowing if you're the sort who get angry when talking about DRM. While we're talking about that, there's online activation too.

PC Specifications

* Windows XP Specifications

Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
Memory: 1.5GB
Hard Drive: 16GB Free Hard Drive Space
Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 18 GB Free Hard Drive Space
Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

* Windows Vista Specifications

Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
Memory: 1.5GB
Hard Drive: 16GB Free Hard Drive Space
Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz
Memory: 2.5 GB
Hard Drive: 18 GB Free Hard Drive Space
Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

Reviews

* Given a 92% by PC Gamer UK Magazine
* Given a 9/10 by Eurogamer Website

I hope this breakdown makes the information easier for everyone to understand about what exclusives are heading for the PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV.
1UP
That is awesome work you've done there, very nice and well done. Sorry for the late post, not sure how I missed your topic before. Some of that I didn't even know. If it wasn't from all the negative feedback today from people with the game this probably would have hyped me up. Hopefully some others get some comments in here.

astounding job on the info mate. thumbup.gif
Thrifty94
I think that the recommended settings should be minimum, because i have those settings and i have to run minimum graphics to get 30 fps with a 17 fps average
1UP
QUOTE(Thrifty94 @ Dec 7 2008, 07:52 AM) [snapback]1474224[/snapback]
I think that the recommended settings should be minimum, because i have those settings and i have to run minimum graphics to get 30 fps with a 17 fps average

Yeah that's been going around allot, if the patch Rockstar are working on don't fix that, then they blatantly ripped people off on purpose. The specs are not something that easy to overlook, I'd be surprised if the game even ran at the minimum.
Thrifty94
QUOTE(1UP @ Dec 7 2008, 03:53 PM) [snapback]1474239[/snapback]
QUOTE(Thrifty94 @ Dec 7 2008, 07:52 AM) [snapback]1474224[/snapback]

Yeah that's been going around allot, if the patch Rockstar are working on don't fix that, then they blatantly ripped people off on purpose. The specs are not something that easy to overlook, I'd be surprised if the game even ran at the minimum.

Yeah i heard that too, but i guess this could work to R*'s advantage, because people using pirated versions of GTA IV will be stuck with shoddy rendering and unwanted glitches. If the patch doesnt come out soon theough... people will start to move away from the game, which is a shame because it's a pretty kickass game.
HELMET
I highly recommend using .net framework 3.5 service pack 1 for XP also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.