Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HDMI Cable pricing
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
DiO
I'm getting my brother one for Christmas because as I've said many times that he has a sweet 46 inch plasma but no HDMI cable because he doesn't know shit about tech. So I want to get him a decent one. So I've seen them from 5 bucks online to 150 bucks. I know the $150 ones are a HUGE FUCKING RIP!! So forget those. But their are ones in between for 30ish. I just want to know if there is any difference between all these different priced HDMI cables. Is a decent one for $20-40 any different than the 5 dollar ones (Or the 150 dollar ones for that matter).
FuddMan
Apparently not. HDMI is digital and digital signals can't be interfered with in the same way analogue signals can. The insulation or whatever on the cheaper cable might not be as strong as it is on the more expensive ones but picture quality wise, they do the same thing.
Kamahl
QUOTE(what @ Nov 21 2008, 02:18 PM) [snapback]1472346[/snapback]
Apparently not. HDMI is digital and digital signals can't be interfered with in the same way analogue signals can. The insulation or whatever on the cheaper cable might not be as strong as it is on the more expensive ones but picture quality wise, they do the same thing.

exactly, the quality is always the same, the only difference is the length, im guessing a 2m cable would be enough...
DiO

Hmm, thanks for that. I suppose I'll get a mid ranged one still. Cables and break and get short circuits if they are cheap shit.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(Imaphatpimp @ Nov 21 2008, 08:13 PM) [snapback]1472373[/snapback]

Hmm, thanks for that. I suppose I'll get a mid ranged one still. Cables and break and get short circuits if they are cheap shit.

Not necessarily. I bought two for about $3 each and they work great. They are not falling apart, in fact they are constructed very well. Besides, it's not going to come apart unless you abuse it.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(what @ Nov 21 2008, 07:18 PM) [snapback]1472346[/snapback]

there is one thing to consider, though. That is the strength of the connections. I bought an HDMI cable for 5 bucks and the head of it ended up breaking off...

Considering that you can buy 20 5 dollar HDMI cables for 1 100 dollar cable, i guess its up to you.
DuPz0r
Definitely get him one, 46inch TV with SCART, that fucking sucks. But yeah, when i bought my LCD, they tried selling me a £120 HMDI lead, i was like.. what is the difference between that and the cheap ones. He said that they transfer a larger amount of data per time, and would reduce frame rate loss. I said well i've played my friends PS3 on a shitty £5 Lead and i see no frame rate loss, he was just like.. erm yeah well it's gold plated blah blah which was basically what Duffman said. I just said i'm not a fucking mug, good day sir.
DiO
Even if there is frame loss, I doubt the human eye could even pick it up.
I have another question. Is their any special type of power bar you need for HDTVs? My brother "had" to buy one and it was expensive as shit. I figure he got ripped off. I just ask for when I buy my own one day.
psychÝ
QUOTE(DuPz0rô @ Nov 22 2008, 02:59 PM) [snapback]1472409[/snapback]
Definitely get him one, 46inch TV with SCART, that fucking sucks. But yeah, when i bought my LCD, they tried selling me a £120 HMDI lead, i was like.. what is the difference between that and the cheap ones. He said that they transfer a larger amount of data per time, and would reduce frame rate loss. I said well i've played my friends PS3 on a shitty £5 Lead and i see no frame rate loss, he was just like.. erm yeah well it's gold plated blah blah which was basically what Duffman said. I just said i'm not a fucking mug, good day sir.

Frame loss? Wtf how would that even be possible, for that too occur, loss if parts of frames would also occur meaning massive distortion of the image, it is clearly just BS.

The only difference between the cables as many other has said is the strength of the construction and length.

What do you mean by a power bar?

If you mean an adapter like a laptop then use you will have to get theirs or one with the same specification if you just mean an extension lead then no.
Qdeathstar
I don't think you have to buy an expensive power bar... all they are is a fancy surge protector, really. theres nothing special about them... It might have been a warrantee requirement though... even if that was the case if you buy a decent surge protect, most of them offer warantees on damage of up to 50,000 dollars..

tbh though, i don't notice a difference between HDMI cables and Analog component cables for 1080i atleast... of course the component connections are made to an higher-end 65" tv and the HDMI connection is made to a cheapo 32" tv.... not exactly a perfect comparison.
DiO
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Nov 22 2008, 01:05 PM) [snapback]1472421[/snapback]
QUOTE(DuPz0rô @ Nov 22 2008, 02:59 PM) [snapback]1472409[/snapback]

Frame loss? Wtf how would that even be possible, for that too occur, loss if parts of frames would also occur meaning massive distortion of the image, it is clearly just BS.

The only difference between the cables as many other has said is the strength of the construction and length.

Sweet. Ill get a mid-priced one so it doesn't crap out.

QUOTE(Sittin @ Nov 22 2008, 02:02 PM) [snapback]1472424[/snapback]
I don't think you have to buy an expensive power bar... all they are is a fancy surge protector, really. theres nothing special about them... It might have been a warrantee requirement though... even if that was the case if you buy a decent surge protect, most of them offer warantees on damage of up to 50,000 dollars..

Surge protection. Ahh, thanks.
asthenia
I'm gonna swan in here and say what everyone else is saying, but in my own experience. I bought a few cheaper HDMI leads, and they all went to shit on me, the head was left in the back of my TV, the casing pretty much fell apart, etc etc. I move my PS3 alot, so I need to have a sturdy one. Luckily I grabbed one when I was out shopping awhile ago, just a standard HDMI cable, but in the £15-20 range. It was being used by the end of the night I bought it, the HDMI lead I was using crapped out. Luck, huh? My more expensive one hasn't crapped out at all. I wouldn't be surprised if the $/£100+ ones are made to the same standard as the £3 ones, with nicer packaging.
DiO
Sick. I then know what to do.
CygnusX
I find the price differences ridiculous as well but aye, I got a medium priced one that hasn't died so far.
FrankCastle
Regardless of which cable you buy, try to check out customer reviews for the cable before you buy it. That's what I did. I didn't just blindly but the cheapest one I could find.
DiO
Well, I just went shopping. Went to the source and the dude was trying to get me to buy a 144 dollar one. Giving the speech on data flow and what not. Talking about dropped pixels and bad colour pockets. I didn't end up getting one from there. When I was browsing HMV I seen a Sony HDMI cable with a PS3 right on the front of it. I figured what the hell. My brother will be happy to see that it is a Sony one. It came to 67 bucks in total. Not bad at all. It also came with a USB 2.0 cable that he probably will never use. Maybe Ill just snag it off him cause I could use it.
FrankCastle
I think $67 is way too much for a HDMI cable. Then again... you are giving it as a gift so you don't want to go too cheap like I did. I didn't care because it was for my own TV, but if I were buying it for someone else I would have probably been a lot more reluctant to buy the cables I did.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.