Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Somali pirates hijack Sirius Star
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
DuPz0r
Pirates have seized a giant Saudi-owned oil tanker in the Indian Ocean off the Kenyan coast and are steering it towards Somalia, the US Navy reports.

The US-bound tanker was captured on Saturday some 450 nautical miles (830km) south-east of Mombasa, and is now approaching the Somali port of Eyl.

The Sirius Star is carrying its full load of 2m barrels - more than one-quarter of Saudi Arabia's daily output.

Its international crew of 25, including two Britons, is said to be safe.

Lt Nathan Christensen, a spokesman for the US Navy's 5th Fleet, said the attack was "unprecedented".

According to the Navy, the ship is "nearing an anchorage point" at Eyl, a port often used by pirates based in Somalia's Puntland region.

War-torn Somalia has not had an effective government since 1991.

A BBC correspondent in Mombasa reports that this is the third tanker to have been hijacked in the region.

News of the attack raised crude oil prices on global markets following an earlier slump, Reuters news agency reported.

The capture of the tanker appears to mark a worrying new development, both in terms of the size of the ship and the fact it was attacked so far from the African coast.

Attacks on shipping off the Horn of Africa and Kenya by mainly Somali pirates seeking ransoms prompted foreign navies to send warships to the area this year.

A number of vessels and their crews have been held captive for months, including the Ukrainian freighter MV Faina, seized in September.

Damn, that is ALOT of oil. Who would've thought the Somalians would have the balls to steal something SO large.
lmao, what is your thoughts on this terrorist/pirate behavior?
Hardcore Ottoman
I must applaud them for the feet, but... dayyum! Assholes...

I hope this does not become a trend.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
What? You hijacked a ship? And you stole the whole... 2m barrels of oil? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing. How 'bout we just let you off on grounds of hilarity.
Hardcore Ottoman
I gave them a golf clap after I read this, actually. But still.
DiO
IT WAS OBAMA!
Handsome B Wonderful
Once again, pirates>ninjas

Stupid dumb arse Oil tanker drivers. The Suez Canal was built for a reason, damnit! Why go the long way? Do they enjoy the sweet smell of millions of RPG holding, GPS loving, civil war having, Somalian wankers?
Darth Sexy
If petrol prices go up I'm going to curb stomp the nearest Somalian.
DuPz0r
QUOTE(Darth Sexy @ Nov 18 2008, 11:36 AM) [snapback]1472050[/snapback]
If petrol prices go up I'm going to curb stomp the nearest Somalian.

You'd be lucky. Somalian teeth are so big they always look like they are teeth clench smiling, even at widest aperture.
Mohawk
QUOTE(Imaphatpimp @ Nov 17 2008, 10:05 PM) [snapback]1472039[/snapback]
IT WAS OBAMA!

lol

I know what... They are not hat smart, they were asking for something around $10~20 million, but the whole thing is worth like 100 million bucks... lmao...
The ship wasn't that well guarded either, it's thei fault they got hijacked....
I think someone should go there and just kill those guys, someone should show the world that you won't live if you do something so stupid, yet smart, as those guys did... But then you have the stupid human rights activists...
QUOTE(Mohawk @ Dec 5 2008, 09:04 PM) [snapback]1473983[/snapback]
QUOTE(Imaphatpimp @ Nov 17 2008, 10:05 PM) [snapback]1472039[/snapback]
IT WAS OBAMA!

lol

I know what... They are not hat smart, they were asking for something around $10~20 million, but the whole thing is worth like 100 million bucks... lmao...
The ship wasn't that well guarded either, it's thei fault they got hijacked....
I think someone should go there and just kill those guys, someone should show the world that you won't live if you do something so stupid, yet smart, as those guys did... But then you have the stupid human rights activists...
I'm not a big fan of thievery on the high seas (who am I kidding, of course I am), but that just made no sense.
NCP
QUOTE(Handsome B. Wonderful @ Nov 18 2008, 12:09 PM) [snapback]1472049[/snapback]
Once again, pirates>ninjas

Stupid dumb arse Oil tanker drivers. The Suez Canal was built for a reason, damnit! Why go the long way? Do they enjoy the sweet smell of millions of RPG holding, GPS loving, civil war having, Somalian wankers?

Well they've chosen the short way that's why they passed Somalia. The pirates are tagetting ships passing through the Suez canal.
Qdeathstar
It seems to me that if the people running these ships thought the pirates were too much a hassle then they would find ways of dealing with them.

The don't think its worth their money to invest in ship security so they don't, and when a couple of employees get killed thats just the price of admission.

The United States shouldn't spend any resources there as far as im concerned...
bOnEs
yea, most of the ships carrying valuable supplies like oil for example, need to have extra security for this very reason... the funny thing is, modern day pirates are just as clever as the old caribbean pirates... they know these ships aren't heavily guarded, just like the spanish treasure ships... and if they were, they would know that there must be something good aboard... i don't think it really matters if there's security or not... if a pirate wants something, a pirate usually takes it without much resistance...

i applaud the pirates really... you know they are actually creating jobs and stimulating local economies... towns and area's once thought to be abandoned are now turning into little bustling towns... pirates show up, spend their money, and are currently turning some of africa's coastal towns into boom towns... and these towns LOVE the pirates and wish nothing more than to keep them afloat...

other governments and special interest groups seem to think otherwise though... and quite frankly, the united states and the UN government needs to stay out of this one... let the local governments and countries decide what to do... hell, probably half of them don't even mind the piracy... and the others pry fear that there's nothing they can really do anyways...

ya gotta love piracy!! biggrin.gif
TheAnalogKid2112
Wow. That's impressive. And aggravating.
QUOTE(Sittin @ Dec 9 2008, 09:53 PM) [snapback]1474518[/snapback]
It seems to me that if the people running these ships thought the pirates were too much a hassle then they would find ways of dealing with them.

The don't think its worth their money to invest in ship security so they don't, and when a couple of employees get killed thats just the price of admission.

The United States shouldn't spend any resources there as far as im concerned...
On purely capitalist grounds, I disagree. Repeated incidences could scare up oil prices.

That's to say nothing of the moral considerations.
NCP
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTB6VqH3Fus[/youtube]

EDIT Damn.. oh well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTB6VqH3Fus Kinda reminds me of that first mission of CoD4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.