Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help choosing a car!
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > General Discussion
Indy
Well I want a 5 door that has good mpg, about 35+, but the higher the better. The engine can't be too big either, definetly <1.4.
I was lookin at the new Ford Feista, but does anyone have any other ideas? Price range is about <£10,000, but that's flexible.
DonkeyTits
Is it the '08 VW Jetta TDI that's the 4cyl Diesel and gets 50 mpg? Not sure if that's within your price range though.
FuddMan
Don't get a new car. In your first year, you just want a little runner that you will actually be able to insure (even 10 year old 1.0s cost £1500 a year for the first year at best for 3rd party, £500 excess and no extras). Many insurance companies simply won't insure you no matter how much money you throw at them. You can get one for less than a grand, but you could go up to £1500 for a well looked after one. Anything like a Corsa, Fiesta, Micra, even a Ka make decent first cars. After the first year, then think about getting a newer car. Insurance is the killer for new drivers, and it'll get a whole lot worse if you have to claim on a new car in your first year (by which I mean, the price will go up by £5k+ from the original).

I'd consider doing the Pass Plus scheme since that can knock quite a bit off the insurance price.
Zen
Ka's are super cheap, you can get 'em for about £3000 over here. They're not bad little cars either.
psychÝ
QUOTE(Zen @ Nov 17 2008, 12:09 AM) [snapback]1471873[/snapback]
Ka's are super cheap, you can get 'em for about £3000 over here. They're not bad little cars either.

Apart from they are a girls car, get a polo or gulf.
FuddMan
Ka's aren't girls cars so much anymore, especially since the new Micra came in. I know a guy who has one and he looks like a complete tit in the drivers seat. Ka's just look like regular cars in comparison.
Ex-PS Fanboy
I kinda like the pontiac G5, I'm not sure the price. But it's got about 50 HighwayMPG and 35 CityMPG
FuddMan
Mm yeah, I don't think he wants to import any shit from North America for a first car.
JustGetAnApp
I like Ka's.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(what @ Nov 17 2008, 05:58 PM) [snapback]1471952[/snapback]
Mm yeah, I don't think he wants to import any shit from North America for a first car.

oops. didn't realize you lived in the UK
Indy
So I've been looking at the following 3 cars:

Ford Fiesta 5dr new model

Seat Ibiza 5dr new model

Volkswagen Polo 5dr new model

I really like the ford fiesta and seat, but what are your opinions, they are all about the same price range?
Pieface
Are your parents buying this? If so I thought I was lucky getting a 2k car off them...
FuddMan
QUOTE(Pieface @ Dec 3 2008, 05:26 PM) [snapback]1473737[/snapback]
Are your parents buying this? If so I thought I was lucky getting a 2k car off them...

Consider the fact a 10k car for a new driver will end up costing over £15000 and you get one spoilt guy.
Pieface
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Dec 3 2008, 09:25 PM) [snapback]1473758[/snapback]
QUOTE(Pieface @ Dec 3 2008, 05:26 PM) [snapback]1473737[/snapback]

Consider the fact a 10k car for a new driver will end up costing over £15000 and you get one spoilt guy.

Aye, I'd get a cheap car and get the rest off the money to pay me for Uni for a year and a half...
Indy
Car insurance isn't a problem, because my dad has fleet insurance so anyone "working" for his company over 18 is insured on any of their cars, except performance cars like his porsche, in which case you have to be 25 or something.
DiO
QUOTE(what @ Nov 17 2008, 12:58 PM) [snapback]1471952[/snapback]

He did say he was looking for a ford fiesta.
Pieface
QUOTE(Ind• @ Dec 3 2008, 10:41 PM) [snapback]1473775[/snapback]
Car insurance isn't a problem, because my dad has fleet insurance so anyone "working" for his company over 18 is insured on any of their cars, except performance cars like his porsche, in which case you have to be 25 or something.

So Fraud...
TheAnalogKid2112
My sis has a Honda Fit and it kicks ass for MPG and well.. pretty much everything. It's pretty reliable but Idk if it fits all your requirements.
Pieface
QUOTE(TheAnalogKid2112 @ Dec 4 2008, 01:40 AM) [snapback]1473811[/snapback]
My sis has a Honda Fit and it kicks ass for MPG and well.. pretty much everything. It's pretty reliable but Idk if it fits all your requirements.

Its not even here, there are very few hatchbacks that are similar. Infact the only one I can think off at the moment is the Mini.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
You guys' parents pay for your cars?

Jeez.
Pieface
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Dec 5 2008, 11:07 AM) [snapback]1473961[/snapback]

Jeez.

Meh, if your parents offered to buy you a car what would you say?
b1b23
Go for the fiesta. You will NOT be disappointed.
Marneyo Juano
I'd go for the Ibiza.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
QUOTE(Pieface @ Dec 5 2008, 12:14 PM) [snapback]1473970[/snapback]
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Dec 5 2008, 11:07 AM) [snapback]1473961[/snapback]

Jeez.

Meh, if your parents offered to buy you a car what would you say?
"The police are going to find out about those illegal accounts, and I don't want it on my shoulders when they do. Fuck off."
NIGGALICIOUS
1976 Datsun 710 Station Wagon FTW. Roomy, Cheap to maintain, About 35-40 mpg, and its fast enough to burn the tires down the road. Cost? If you can find one, About $1000.

Btw every car you posted looks like complete and utter shit dropped from a filthy rotten ass. Just thought I would say that I would rather drive a hot pink Chevy Chevette than anything posted in this whole fucking thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.