Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Really Stupid Question (or not?)
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
Mad Space Ghost
So im looking at buying a new graphics card and i have a question...

right now im looking at these two...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130378

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130317

My questions are why is the nvidia 9500 cheaper than the nvidia 8800?

Isnt the 9500 better than the 8800?

Which one is the best out of the two?

Which would be a smart move for playing a game say like crysis?

Right now i have a Nvidia 8500 gt and i really wanna buy the 9500 cuz its cheap but also is it reliable and could i play crysis with good fps or w/e

anyway thanks for the help you might or might not give me biggrin.gif
Pieface
8800 is by more better than the 9500.
FrankCastle
You have to be careful because the 9500 is PCI express 2.0 and the 8800 is PCI express. You have to find out what kind of slot your motherboard has before you buy either one.

Every spec on the 8800 is better than the 9500.

Core clock 576MHz (8800)
Core clock 550MHz (9500)

Stream Processors 96 (8800)
Stream Processors 32 (9500)

Memory Clock 1800MHz (8800)
Memory Clock 1000MHz (9500)

Memory Size 640MB (8800)
Memory Size 512MB (9500)

Memory Interface 320-bit (8800)
Memory Interface 128-bit (9500)

Memory Type GDDR3 (8800)
Memory Type GDDR2 (9500)
Mad Space Ghost
The guy who built my computer said it had a pci express slot so, i guess i'll be getting the 8800 but i'll also need a new case and psu since my one know is really low wattage and i have no fans sad.gif
Pieface
You have no fans at all? Christ your computer will have a short life span.
Mohawk
get a fan first...
than a power supply...
than the graphics card, it will burn otherwise

you can get a power supply + fan for a real low price
FrankCastle
QUOTE(Gordon Frohman @ Nov 8 2008, 06:24 PM) [snapback]1471067[/snapback]
The guy who built my computer said it had a pci express slot so, i guess i'll be getting the 8800 but i'll also need a new case and psu since my one know is really low wattage and i have no fans sad.gif

You don't necessarily need a new case. You can find out what kind of fan would fit in your case and just buy one or two of them. The power supply should be easy to replace.

Antec NeoPower 650W
I have a 550W model in my PC and it's very quiet. Also has modular cables which is always a plus.

I don't know what type of fans you can fit into your case so I can't suggest any.
Mad Space Ghost
http://www.ebunlimited.com/servlet/the-454...um-D-950/Detail
Thats the CPU ima get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811208005
thats the case with the PSU (might replace the PSU) that ima get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130409
is the graphics card im getting.

What do you all think?

Attached is my current specs, also http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/content.php?S_ID=303 is my current motherboard.
FrankCastle
The case is fine, although that's usually a matter of personal taste. I would look into a better PSU though. I have never heard of an AZZA. You could go with the one i recommended or something else, just make sure you get a better one because a PSU is important.

You motherboard supports up to a Core 2 duo. The CPU you have linked there is very outdated and isn't much better than the one you currently have. It's actually almost the same as the one you currently have in terms of performance. Here is a comparison of the two. You can see that D950 is slightly better in some benchmarks, but you will not be able to see any real difference at all with that CPU.

You should definitely go for a Core 2 duo if you really want an upgrade. For about $15 to $20 more you could go with either one of these:
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 $120

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 $125

And if you don't really care for price... Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 $269.99

Anyone one of those will get you much better performance than the one you posted. In case your wondering about which of these 3 to choose, the price dictates just how much performance you're getting. More $ = more performance.

The video card is good.
Mad Space Ghost
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Nov 9 2008, 05:54 PM) [snapback]1471174[/snapback]
The case is fine, although that's usually a matter of personal taste. I would look into a better PSU though. I have never heard of an AZZA. You could go with the one i recommended or something else, just make sure you get a better one because a PSU is important.

You motherboard supports up to a Core 2 duo. The CPU you have linked there is very outdated and isn't much better than the one you currently have. It's actually almost the same as the one you currently have in terms of performance. Here is a comparison of the two. You can see that D950 is slightly better in some benchmarks, but you will not be able to see any real difference at all with that CPU.

You should definitely go for a Core 2 duo if you really want an upgrade. For about $15 to $20 more you could go with either one of these:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 $125

And if you don't really care for price... Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 $269.99

Anyone one of those will get you much better performance than the one you posted. In case your wondering about which of these 3 to choose, the price dictates just how much performance you're getting. More $ = more performance.

The video card is good.

Ok thanks frank, i'll probably buy the $125 you reccomeneded instead. and yea i'll look into a better psu, and yes i know the cpu i have now is incredibly outdated can barely play css D:
FrankCastle
QUOTE(Gordon Frohman @ Nov 9 2008, 08:47 PM) [snapback]1471184[/snapback]
Ok thanks frank, i'll probably buy the $125 you reccomeneded instead. and yea i'll look into a better psu, and yes i know the cpu i have now is incredibly outdated can barely play css D:

Wait! I looked at the CPU support link for your motherboard and it says that your motherboard supports up to an E7200. I would have thought that the E7300 would be the same but I wouldn't go for it if the CPU support page doesn't mention it in there. Go with the $120 E7200 just to be safe, there won't be much difference anyway. It might be something as stupid as BIOSTAR just not updating the CPU support page, but like i said, play it safe.

Let me know how that all turns out. I'm interested see if you get major performance gains... which you should. For example, what setting are you currently playing Crysis or CSS on and what settings/FPS will you have when you are done with the upgrade?

Also, how much memory do you have? I see that you have Vista and if you want to play serious games on Vista you need a minimum of 2GB, preferably 3GB. Memory is so cheap now, so you might want to look into that if you're still not satisfied after the current upgrades.
Mad Space Ghost
2GB of RAM
500gb Hard drive

Is the E7200 previously mentioned in your last post? If not, can you provide a link? I can play crisis on minium with maybe 20-30 fps and maybe 30 fps with css at 1680x1050 and about 50-100 fps at 1024xsomething with all settings on high and highest filter but no AA.

Thanks for all your help frank
FrankCastle
QUOTE(Gordon Frohman @ Nov 10 2008, 12:12 AM) [snapback]1471196[/snapback]
2GB of RAM
500gb Hard drive

Is the E7200 previously mentioned in your last post? If not, can you provide a link? I can play crisis on minium with maybe 20-30 fps and maybe 30 fps with css at 1680x1050 and about 50-100 fps at 1024xsomething with all settings on high and highest filter but no AA.

Thanks for all your help frank

Yea the same link as before. I'll save you some scrolling.
Pieface
At this rate it would be easier to sell your current Computer and build a better one. Save you the hassle and could probably make more money than having to remove everything which will just probably gather dust.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(Pieface @ Nov 12 2008, 05:37 AM) [snapback]1471492[/snapback]
At this rate it would be easier to sell your current Computer and build a better one. Save you the hassle and could probably make more money than having to remove everything which will just probably gather dust.

That's what I did with my last system. I sold it to my friend and built a new one. The only reason I did that was because I needed a completely different type of PC. My old PC was built for gaming, which I don't really do anymore. So I built a new one that was designed with low noise level as a priority (extremely quiet). My point is, don't sell your PC if there are a lot of parts you can spare. You won't end up making much on it anyway, and the overall cost will hit your pocket harder if you try to build a brand new one. The money you get on the sale of your old one is probably not going to offset the extra amount of $ you had to spend to buy all new hardware, unless you can find someone willing to grossly overpay for an outdated PC. To me it sounds like Gordon still has a lot to work with. Motherboard, memory, hard drive and optical drive(s). Plus, this way you won't have to reinstall all your software from the ground up, which is usually the most time consuming.
Mad Space Ghost
yea im not buying a new motherboard unless i absoultly have to. And its not that my computer right now isnt bad, i mean i can play crisis on low and shit but i just want to make it better.
CygnusX
Is this topic still relevant or have you gotten yourself a card in the meantime?
Mad Space Ghost
Eh, i got myself a card. A ATI RADEON 4850 or something like that.
CygnusX
Aight'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.