Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gears of War 2
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Other Games > Other Games
Pages: 1, 2
Benzilla
So OXM Reviewed Gears of War 2 for this months issue. They gave it an 8/10 by saying the story lacks and they tried too hard on the multiplayer. I hope this isn't going to be one of those games that has major hype and doesn't deliver....
Dr. Evil
The first one delivered and Cliff Bleszinski said that this one is going to be a lot bigger and better. I'll listen to the actual game designer (and my own opinion) before I listen to a reviewer anyday.
Harrop
There's somet on N4G as well about it being full of bugs but I don't care what any website says about it, I'm defo getting it on release and I think it will be up there with GTA IV and MGS4 for GOTY.
FuddMan
If it's someone from N4G there's a good chance they're one of the tonne who've downloaded it. Downloaded copies are bound to have problems.
Pieface
QUOTE(Dr. Evil @ Oct 24 2008, 08:17 AM) [snapback]1469570[/snapback]
The first one delivered and Cliff Bleszinski said that this one is going to be a lot bigger and better. I'll listen to the actual game designer (and my own opinion) before I listen to a reviewer anyday.

Rofl, because the Games Designer will actually go "Yeah, I couldn't be arsed with this game, so nah, not going to be better"

There gonna try and advertise there game as much as possible for christ sake, so they're the last people you should listen too.
DiO
I'd believe "the story lacks." It did in the first game.
Benzilla
It did in the first game yes, because there was hardly any story line in the first one. They have made a big epic story line now... But I made a mistake, they made it 9/10 now...
DiO
How does it go from 8 to 9?
Indy
I must say, i'm guilty. I played this game at my friends house yesterday. I came a little.
But basically, if you enjoyed the first, then you'll enjoy this one. However, it feels alot like Gears 1.5, not to say it's not a good game, because it's brilliant. Multiplayer is epic. Though if you didn't like the first, then I can't see you enjoying this one either. Must Buy imo.
EDeNYC101
Thanks for that info IndĽ, I'm sure Gears 2 MP will be great. Just looking at the vids and all the new features they've added looks great.

As far as the story who knows. I cant say I really got into the story in the first game, but it wasn't bad.
Harrop
Gears 2 will be the most played Xbox Live game for weeks/months imo.
Benzilla
QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Oct 28 2008, 05:06 PM) [snapback]1470036[/snapback]

Alot more than just weeks...

asthenia
QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Oct 24 2008, 11:10 AM) [snapback]1469571[/snapback]
There's somet on N4G as well about it being full of bugs but I don't care what any website says about it, I'm defo getting it on release and I think it will be up there with GTA IV and MGS4 for GOTY.

Are you fucking kidding?

QUOTE(Pieface @ Oct 24 2008, 02:33 PM) [snapback]1469616[/snapback]
QUOTE(Dr. Evil @ Oct 24 2008, 08:17 AM) [snapback]1469570[/snapback]

Rofl, because the Games Designer will actually go "Yeah, I couldn't be arsed with this game, so nah, not going to be better"

There gonna try and advertise there game as much as possible for christ sake, so they're the last people you should listen too.

Exactly, Pie, fucking spot on.

QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Oct 28 2008, 05:06 PM) [snapback]1470036[/snapback]

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING?
Harrop
No im fucking not!

What will be game of the year then seen as though you seem to know everything but actually know fuck all.

You just clearly are not a fan of Gears of War.
Dr. Evil
QUOTE(Eddie Dean @ Oct 28 2008, 02:24 PM) [snapback]1470062[/snapback]

Actually, I will listen to the developers. After watching the dev diaries, all the improvements they have made. New art, all new audio, new characters and a improved and updated engine. This game is gonna freaking kick ass. I'm with Quim on this, in fact I will make my own prediction. Gears 2 will PASS all other games released this year.
Harrop
According to this Gears will "blow you away" and I think it will, PS3 owners need to stop hating and stick to LBP.

http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-223031.aspx
Dr. Evil
QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Oct 29 2008, 03:08 AM) [snapback]1470104[/snapback]
According to this Gears will "blow you away" and I think it will, PS3 owners need to stop hating and stick to LBP.

Hell yeah! I'm gonna be at Wal-Mart at midnight next Thursday! thumbup.gif
Harrop
I've got mine pre-ordered on Play.com so I should get it on Friday morning and I've just booked the day off work so I will probably be on it all day like 90% of 360 owners will be lol.
Pieface
So am I, and maybe Ast, the only people who see this game boring, linear and reptitive. I mean Fallout 3 looks 10x better than it. Multiplayer was good, but a bit boring after a while.
asthenia
QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Oct 29 2008, 09:07 AM) [snapback]1470100[/snapback]
No im fucking not!

What will be game of the year then seen as though you seem to know everything but actually know fuck all.

You just clearly are not a fan of Gears of War.

Actually I am a fan. And was that supposed to be a burn? You've got serious problems.

QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Oct 29 2008, 11:15 AM) [snapback]1470112[/snapback]

Shut the fuck up retard, have you forgotten our little friendly chat in the Asylum? I won both consoles and pay a mere 0.109589 pence a day! Just like you do, old chum! And actually, I liked the first GoW, and I'll play this one. So uhhh... fuck off and die?

QUOTE(Pieface @ Oct 29 2008, 02:20 PM) [snapback]1470131[/snapback]
So am I, and maybe Ast, the only people who see this game boring, linear and reptitive. I mean Fallout 3 looks 10x better than it. Multiplayer was good, but a bit boring after a while.

Yeah Fallout 3 will own this fucking game, but remember Pie, it doesn't look like MAN, it doesn't smell like MAN, the game just isn't MASCULINE enough, it doesn't have enough TESTOSTERONE to possibly ever be matched up against the might GEARS OF WAR 2, so obviously, only faggots like me and you will play Fallout 3, while the real MANLY MEN here play their MAN's game. smile.gif

Not forgetting the painful, excruciating denial between Marcus and Dom regarding their gay tendencies. Being along all that time, being such a MANLY MAN, must get lonely, huh?
DiO
The first GoW is almost as overrated & over-hyped as Guitar Hero, & the second will be no different for its as over-hyped as GTA IV. IIts will be a great game, like the first but not best. I see little innovation here. Like Indy said. Gears 1.5.
FuddMan
QUOTE(Dr. Evil @ Oct 29 2008, 11:03 AM) [snapback]1470103[/snapback]
QUOTE(Eddie Dean @ Oct 28 2008, 02:24 PM) [snapback]1470062[/snapback]

Actually, I will listen to the developers. After watching the dev diaries, all the improvements they have made. New art, all new audio, new characters and a improved and updated engine. This game is gonna freaking kick ass. I'm with Quim on this, in fact I will make my own prediction. Gears 2 will PASS all other games released this year.

Yeah, the Gears 2 dev diaries have been a lot better than the usual trash you get that focus on one main feature and that's it. Gears 2's videos talk about every single aspect of the gameplay and how everything has been refined. More substance and less bullshit. I rarely get hyped up for games these days, but I can't freakin' wait for this one.
Dr. Evil
QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Oct 29 2008, 04:15 AM) [snapback]1470112[/snapback]
I've got mine pre-ordered on Play.com so I should get it on Friday morning and I've just booked the day off work so I will probably be on it all day like 90% of 360 owners will be lol.

I have that whole week off...gonna be on vacation! thumbup.gif

QUOTE(DuffMan @ Oct 29 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]1470193[/snapback]
Yeah, the Gears 2 dev diaries have been a lot better than the usual trash you get that focus on one main feature and that's it. Gears 2's videos talk about every single aspect of the gameplay and how everything has been refined. More substance and less bullshit. I rarely get hyped up for games these days, but I can't freakin' wait for this one.

I watched a few of them at work. On my days off I went through all of them at night. They were awesome. I liked the diaries on Assassins Creed, mostly because of Jade Raymond laugh.gif The Gears 2 diaries had way more substance than those ones.
Benzilla
QUOTE(Dr. Evil @ Oct 30 2008, 03:21 AM) [snapback]1470216[/snapback]
QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Oct 29 2008, 04:15 AM) [snapback]1470112[/snapback]

I have that whole week off...gonna be on vacation! thumbup.gif

QUOTE(DuffMan @ Oct 29 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]1470193[/snapback]

I watched a few of them at work. On my days off I went through all of them at night. They were awesome. I liked the diaries on Assassins Creed, mostly because of Jade Raymond laugh.gif The Gears 2 diaries had way more substance than those ones.

You lucky...

But ye. The Dev Diaries really got me pumped, look awesome. But then i have a search on YouTube and it all just seems to be more glitches which suck... For example the crabwalk is back, and loads of new glitches where you can get out of the map etc. Which just really sucks..
Harrop
This is currently at 95 on Metacritic, I think it get to at least 96/97 when more reviews are put on.
Indy
I really didn't expect the ratings to be so high, I woulda thought about 90 average.
FuddMan
The IGN video review sneeks out some footage of the gold Lancer in multiplayer, and my god it looks shite. I might not even bother with the code that comes with my limited edition version...

Still can't wait for the game though ohmy.gif Only four more days! (or three if Play sends it out tomorrow... here's hoping biggrin.gif)
Indy
I've noticed that they usually only send it out a day early when the game has already been released somewhere else before. But ya never know, i'm hoping I can go pick it up on Friday sometime.
Harrop
You defo won't get it early from Play.com they don't send big blockbuster games like this early it's only the little shitty ones that no one cares about.
Dr. Evil
1 MORE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God, I feel like a giddy schoolgirl laugh.gif
Indy
A number of my friends recieved their copy early, via preorder off play.com.
Harrop
QUOTE(IndĽ @ Nov 6 2008, 03:42 PM) [snapback]1470914[/snapback]

So did I and alot of my mates, that's why Play.com is the best place to order stuff from lol.

I can't wait to finish work at 5:30 so I can go home and play on it.
FuddMan
Yup, got my order from Play today as well. Already completed the campaign on Casual. It's short, but it's absolutely epic. I wanted to try out Horde over Live but no one else is playing atm sad.gif
Lee
Lucky bar-steward, I noticed you've been playing it all day while I've been in work, there'll be plenty of people to play with tommorrow!
Dr. Evil
Why have people got to brag about getting their copies early?!
FuddMan
QUOTE(Lee @ Nov 6 2008, 07:22 PM) [snapback]1470925[/snapback]
Lucky bar-steward, I noticed you've been playing it all day while I've been in work, there'll be plenty of people to play with tommorrow!

Actually after sorting out the firewall on my router I've been finding quite a few Horde games now. It's so much fun tongue.gif I've only been able to get up to Wave 12 or 13 so far though sad.gif When you get to the 11th Wave, you get the same enemies from the first one but they're stronger. If it wasn't for the new weapons (Mulcher, Flamethrower, Mortar) you wouldn't get past Wave 6 probably though.

We could get some small IVTV parties going if you wanted to. I've already committed to meeting up with some folks on another site but I'm not sure how many will actually go through with it so I may be free tongue.gif

Also Harrop sorry for not accepting your invites earlier, you can't leave a Horde match half way through without going to the dashboard.
Lee
If I see you on and we have some spare slots then I'll defo send you an invite. Will be playing with the cG crowd first though after they talked me in to buying this game (didn't play the first one so wasn't overly fussed about this one until last week).

Just picked up my copy from Game and can't wait to go home and play it.

I got an invite off Harrop aswell but didn't have the game, think he was just rubbing it in that I had to wait until today tongue.gif
asthenia
QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Nov 5 2008, 10:04 AM) [snapback]1470787[/snapback]
You defo won't get it early from Play.com they don't send big blockbuster games like this early it's only the little shitty ones that no one cares about.

QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Nov 6 2008, 04:38 PM) [snapback]1470920[/snapback]

So did I and alot of my mates, that's why Play.com is the best place to order stuff from lol.

LMFAO.
FuddMan
QUOTE(Lee @ Nov 7 2008, 01:59 PM) [snapback]1470987[/snapback]
I got an invite off Harrop aswell but didn't have the game, think he was just rubbing it in that I had to wait until today tongue.gif

ah I think that's because there's a friends list built into the game, and you can press Back to send an invite to all friends. Which seems kinda silly, sending 81 invites (in my case) for 4 slots tongue.gif

But yeah, send me an invite if you have a spare slot. It can take a while to find a new game when you get kicked off in public matches...
Indy
This game is fucking awesome. That is all.
FuddMan
Me and a few folks from another website just completed all levels on Horde. Even on Casual, things get pretty intense towards the end. I can't imagine what it would be like on Insane with 2.5x Health/Accuracy/Damage Bloodhounds coming at you and Grinders sniping you with Mulchers from a mile away.
angeal18
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Nov 9 2008, 12:45 AM) [snapback]1471075[/snapback]
Me and a few folks from another website just completed all levels on Horde. Even on Casual, things get pretty intense towards the end. I can't imagine what it would be like on Insane with 2.5x Health/Accuracy/Damage Bloodhounds coming at you and Grinders sniping you with Mulchers from a mile away.

this game glichs way too much on online.
Dr. Evil
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Nov 8 2008, 04:45 PM) [snapback]1471075[/snapback]

Get video!!! I wanna see that shit. So does Cliffy B, he said so in one of the dev diaries laugh.gif

I was at Wal-Mart at midnight Thursday night for the release. Got home and started playing around 1:30am. My nephew wimped out though and went to bed. I was going to wait for him but I just couldn't stop playing. I beat it Friday afternoon at like 1pm. This game is a lot longer than the first.

Extended kills = pure awesomeness
FuddMan
QUOTE(angeal 18 @ Nov 9 2008, 01:47 AM) [snapback]1471076[/snapback]

this game glichs way too much on online.

Against other players, yeah. The matchmaking system isn't very good at detecting latencies (it doesn't help that there are 10 players rather than 8 this time around) so you end up with a bit of lag most of the time (unless you're the host, which I seem to be 1 in 4 games or so, but I don't play MP much at all anymore since Horde is so much fun). I might try and get into competitive MP but the few games I've played just don't feel like GoW to me. It seems like a duel between a Lancer and a Shotgun at short range is determined entirely randomly and people with Torque Bows rule the maps since a lot of the new ones have well-covered raised areas...
Zen

It's hard, I'll tell you that.
Indy
I tried level 50 on insane after completing it on casual. I'll tell you, you'll survive for about 30 seconds outside.
Harrop
QUOTE(Eddie Dean @ Nov 7 2008, 02:02 PM) [snapback]1470989[/snapback]
QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Nov 5 2008, 10:04 AM) [snapback]1470787[/snapback]

QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Nov 6 2008, 04:38 PM) [snapback]1470920[/snapback]

LMFAO.

Yes, I know, I contradicted myself lol.
Indy
I fucking love this game. So much more tactical than the first, Hoarde is just epic.
Zen
Although it's ridiculous how the chainsaw is now the standard weapon for multiplayer....
FuddMan
Yeah, I really don't like competitive multiplayer in this game. The lag is too much to make close quarters combat anything more than a lottery, and the chainsaw can only be lowered completely with a well-timed shotgun shell to the chest at the right time to compensate for said lag. The new maps are too cramped to make good use of the Longshot and the Torque Bow seems to be unbeatable because of that. Frags are spammed through tight corridors and are used as proximity mines all the time which shuts off half the map as well. And I really hate how the Flashback maps barely ever appear as one of the options. Shotgun duels were much better, it has to be said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.