Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Consumtion tax > income tax
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
Skinny 
I don't see why we are still using a direct tax on people income. They fail to tax criminals, and the rich's accountants always seem to have devised a plot to get them out of most of their taxes. A consumtion/fair tax would tax us whenever we spend their money, rather than whenever we recieve income, so there's no way to get out of it, and illicit money would still be taxed.

So, yeah, why do we still have an income tax?
Severus Snape
A consumption tax? As in, something like sales tax? Which, by the way, already exists?

I agree that we are stuck paying shitty income taxes while the wealthy have accountants to get them out of paying their fair share. But creating new taxes isn't the answer. All that creating a new tax will do will allow rich people to find yet another loophole to get out of paying, thereby forcing the middle and lower classes to pay more than they already are.
Skinny 
QUOTE(Boom Stick @ Oct 18 2008, 01:07 AM) [snapback]1468971[/snapback]
A consumption tax? As in, something like sales tax? Which, by the way, already exists?

No shit. I'm talking about completely replacing the income tax with GST.

But creating new taxes isn't the answer.
It's not creating a new tax, it's fasing one out.

All that creating a new tax will do will allow rich people to find yet another loophole to get out of paying, thereby forcing the middle and lower classes to pay more than they already are.

O'rly? Tell me then, what method do the rich use to get out of paying their fair share in GST, at the moment?
TwoFacedTanner
Income tax feels like Im paying rent to be a citizen. Half of my paycheck goes to the state and the federal government.

As to why we have it...who knows, I guess to make everone pay for something, and yes, the rich do pay their taxes. The ones who don't sometimes get caught.

Its something Im used too, probably never will change, so I just don't care. Its just another part of life.
Hardcore Ottoman
I'd support state income taxes and GST, but I'm not a fan of the federal income tax. I don't have much more opinion to offer on this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.