Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: large hadron collider
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
shootthebandit
im quite excited about this. two protons colliding at 99% of the speed of light. noone knows what will happen, what will they discover?

i think they will discover that the nucleus of an atom is infact a sun and electrons are planets. thus proving that there are billions of galaxies within an eye of a needle.

whats your theory?
psychÝ
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Sep 11 2008, 10:55 PM) [snapback]1464346[/snapback]
im quite excited about this. two protons colliding at 99% of the speed of light. noone knows what will happen, what will they discover?

i think they will discover that the nucleus of an atom is infact a sun and electrons are planets. thus proving that there are billions of galaxies within an eye of a needle.

whats your theory?

That you don't have a clue what you are talking about or what the scientific definition of the word theory is.

What would actually be good is if they were all completely wrong with there hypothesises.
Hardcore Ottoman
Being proven wrong is what makes science so credible and practical. I personally would like to see some improvement in quantum mechanics/physics and the possibility of separate dimensions. Mostly string theory stuff.

I'm not sure there could be such a thing as a god particle though.
Un-Amurikan Bastage
QUOTE(King Midas Bitch! @ Sep 11 2008, 07:01 PM) [snapback]1464373[/snapback]
Being proven wrong is what makes science so credible and practical. I personally would like to see some improvement in quantum mechanics/physics and the possibility of separate dimensions. Mostly string theory stuff.

The only reason they think there's a God Particle is because everything so far points to the existence of something like that. They just want to see if something a little more conclusive shows up. Like the explosive destruction of the universe.
Screw Loose
I've heard this can lead to the formation of microscopic black holes... but i've also heard that there is a miniscule chance of this happening, and more than likely if this happened it would disapear in .000000001 of a second and wouldn't do anything because it would be unstable

They spent 6 billion dollars on this... would be fuckin hilarious if they failed trying to discover secrets of the universe. Why spend 6 billion on that contraption when you could spend 15 bucks on a bible rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Seeen
Anytime something about String Theory is on TV, I always watch it. After all this time, I STILL can't fathom a lot of the stuff they're talking about. It's all way over my head.

QUOTE(Screw Loose @ Sep 11 2008, 07:51 PM) [snapback]1464393[/snapback]
I've heard this can lead to the formation of microscopic black holes... but i've also heard that there is a miniscule chance of this happening, and more than likely if this happened it would disapear in .000000001 of a second and wouldn't do anything because it would be unstable

They spent 6 billion dollars on this... would be fuckin hilarious if they failed trying to discover secrets of the universe. Why spend 6 billion on that contraption when you could spend 15 bucks on a bible rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

This is some straight-up Half-Life shit. They're gonna accidentally boost the anti-mass spectrometer one day and cause a giant rip in the universe which will devour everything ever known.
psychÝ
QUOTE(Screw Loose @ Sep 12 2008, 03:51 AM) [snapback]1464393[/snapback]

Because that would be an even bigger waste of $15.

They will find something whether or not that is a fundimental particle or just another piece in the puzzle is a different question, the LHC has many other uses other than finding a particle that for all practical purposes doesn't exist anyway.
Skinny†
Aren't they trying to discover what Dark Matter is? That would be very interesting.
shootthebandit
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Sep 12 2008, 04:17 AM) [snapback]1464399[/snapback]

They will find something whether or not that is a fundimental particle or just another piece in the puzzle is a different question, the LHC has many other uses other than finding a particle that for all practical purposes doesn't exist anyway.

i was jokin about planet thing.

anyway i think they'll definatley make some sort of medical discovery or perhaps change our opinion of the atom structure.

i dont think itll be a wasted effort.
psychÝ
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Sep 12 2008, 01:35 PM) [snapback]1464449[/snapback]

anyway i think they'll definatley make some sort of medical discovery or perhaps change our opinion of the atom structure.

No there won't, not any time soon anyway, you have no idea what you are talking about.
shootthebandit
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Sep 12 2008, 04:58 PM) [snapback]1464479[/snapback]
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Sep 12 2008, 01:35 PM) [snapback]1464449[/snapback]

No there won't, not any time soon anyway, you have no idea what you are talking about.

its said that ten years down the line new medical advancements would be created thanx to this.

yes, your right i dont have a fucking clue what im talking about. its still quite intersting
ViceMan
Personally I don't think anything revolutionary will become of this, the scientists may discover something of minor importance, but to 99.99% of the population it won't make a difference. But then again, science is unpredictable.

[spoiler](Optional sarcasm) Or of course we could all be consumed by a black hole.[/spoiler]
new major on the block
They will discover that nothing happened. and they will be shocked, and then decide to built a 6 trillion dollar one thats even bigger and faster and do it all over again. History repeats itself.
Hardcore Ottoman
Sure... so do sarcastic comments.

Seriously, something could definitely be found from this thing.
shootthebandit
QUOTE(new major on the block @ Sep 12 2008, 09:24 PM) [snapback]1464532[/snapback]
They will discover that nothing happened. and they will be shocked, and then decide to built a 6 trillion dollar one thats even bigger and faster and do it all over again. History repeats itself.

it cant get any faster. its as close to the speed of light as humanly possible

maybe they make a gun that fires protons. seriously i dont have a fucking clue what im talking about.

i wonder how much damage it would do to you if you stood infront of the proton beam as it reached speeds close to the speed of light.
Hardcore Ottoman
You might have a hole burned through you... instant death most likely.
psychÝ
QUOTE(King Midas Bitch! @ Sep 12 2008, 11:00 PM) [snapback]1464572[/snapback]

Well for one just no, it wouldn't even be possible as you would be frozen and in a vacuum and if you weren't the the protons would hit the molecules in the air and be disbursed, if it were possible it would do fuck all anyway, it would most likely cause a melanoma or maybe if left for a very long time have some kind of oxidative effect causing scaring to occur, but most likely neither of those option, the protons would just be dispelled and reactive with something in the air, might get some H3O+ the excitement, apart from the bit where that occurs naturally in solution anyway......

Go stick your face in a bucket of bleach and imagine it like 1,000 times less painful, maybe like that, maybe not, if nothing else it will help give you a new perspective.
Un-Amurikan Bastage
Can you not be a condescending cock to everyone at least once in a while? Seriously.

ANYway, I think the only thing that'll come of this is the discovery of maybe a new element or two that are completely irrelevant to anything because the molecules are only stable for 0.0000000000000000004 seconds. At most I think it will simply cause a small revision of molecular theory due to the discovery of some unknown property of electrons or something. Maybe the understanding of how certain particles react in certain conditions. I really can't see this going anywhere big. Even if it proved the God particle exists, it really doesn't mean shit to anything or anyone.
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Sep 11 2008, 10:17 PM) [snapback]1464399[/snapback]

I know right?

I wouldnt spend $15 on a bible.
Just get the free ones out of the hotels.
Skinny†
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Sep 13 2008, 04:21 PM) [snapback]1464629[/snapback]
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Sep 11 2008, 10:17 PM) [snapback]1464399[/snapback]

I know right?

I wouldnt spend $15 on a bible.
Just get the free ones out of the hotels.

Or you could get any book that contains facts, and not fairytales.

QUOTE(Un-Amurikan Bastage)
ANYway, I think the only thing that'll come of this is the discovery of maybe a new element or two that are completely irrelevant to anything because the molecules are only stable for 0.0000000000000000004 seconds. At most I think it will simply cause a small revision of molecular theory due to the discovery of some unknown property of electrons or something.

They can reuse the technology, and it has many uses.
Indy
A proton would damage cell DNA, causing it to die. And we can't build anything faster than 99.9% speed of light, cause photons have no mass, which is why they're the fastest motherfuckers known.
Hardcore Ottoman
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Sep 13 2008, 01:26 AM) [snapback]1464624[/snapback]

Well for one just no, it wouldn't even be possible as you would be frozen and in a vacuum and if you weren't the the protons would hit the molecules in the air and be disbursed, if it were possible it would do fuck all anyway, it would most likely cause a melanoma or maybe if left for a very long time have some kind of oxidative effect causing scaring to occur, but most likely neither of those option, the protons would just be dispelled and reactive with something in the air, might get some H3O+ the excitement, apart from the bit where that occurs naturally in solution anyway......

Go stick your face in a bucket of bleach and imagine it like 1,000 times less painful, maybe like that, maybe not, if nothing else it will help give you a new perspective.

No lulz... seriously, how the fuck could anyone stand in front of an encapsulated circlular object? You can't. I was making fun of shoot the bandit. How would one even think up a scenario as irrelevant as that?
new major on the block
QUOTE(Ind• @ Sep 13 2008, 10:31 PM) [snapback]1464735[/snapback]
A proton would damage cell DNA, causing it to die. And we can't build anything faster than 99.9% speed of light, cause photons have no mass, which is why they're the fastest motherfuckers known.

I'm sure one day they will build something faster. like 99.91 is still faster than 99.9, eh, who cares. Wheres Scotty when you need him. LOL
TwoFacedTanner
This is off topic, and i'm sorry.
But every time I look at the topic title I think it says "Large Hardon Collider."
DiO
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Sep 21 2008, 08:15 PM) [snapback]1465751[/snapback]
But every time I look at the topic title I think it says "Large Hardon Collider."

Same.

I just read the wiki page for the LHC. Pretty hard to understand. It didn't completely go over my head. I have an idea on what this actually might do. Though I wouldn't try to explain it to anyone.
ViceMan
QUOTE(pootitz @ Sep 22 2008, 07:59 PM) [snapback]1465833[/snapback]
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Sep 21 2008, 08:15 PM) [snapback]1465751[/snapback]

Same.

I just read the wiki page for the LHC. Pretty hard to understand. It didn't completely go over my head. I have an idea on what this actually might do. Though I wouldn't try to explain it to anyone.

Well, at the moment it's not doing anything due to an epic fuck-up (although not a world ending one sadly), some liquid helium leaked into the tunnel and it's going to take 2 months to send the janitor down to mop it up.
DiO
Slow fucking janitor. He must be a union janitor.
Loly Pop
QUOTE(Un-Amurikan Bastage @ Sep 11 2008, 09:00 PM) [snapback]1464379[/snapback]

The only reason they think there's a God Particle is because everything so far points to the existence of something like that. They just want to see if something a little more conclusive shows up. Like the explosive destruction of the universe.

So they believe that there has to be a God Particle...but the fact that there is a God is totally incredible???

*watches as the forums are set afire with flamming and arguments over the existence of a higher being*
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Sep 11 2008, 09:55 PM) [snapback]1464346[/snapback]

whats your theory?

my theory is the whole thing blows up and takes france with it happy.gif

but seriously i dont know what to think, i think maybe they'll discover smaller particles but thats about it.
Un-Amurikan Bastage
QUOTE(Loly Pop @ Sep 22 2008, 09:47 PM) [snapback]1465886[/snapback]

So they believe that there has to be a God Particle...but the fact that there is a God is totally incredible???

*watches as the forums are set afire with flamming and arguments over the existence of a higher being*

Although the fire and rioting would be nice now and then, I hope you realize it has nothing to do with God or any higher being or powers thereof. The name simply comes from the fact that they think and speculate and argue about it being there, but haven't proved it either way. Ultimate nerd showdown.
psychÝ
QUOTE(Un-Amurikan Bastage @ Sep 26 2008, 07:27 AM) [snapback]1466312[/snapback]
The name simply comes from the fact that they think and speculate and argue about it being there, but haven't proved it either way. Ultimate nerd showdown.

No it doesn't.

The name comes because the proof of the presence of the particle would complete the theory of quantum physics, just like god would complete the theory of how the universe started.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
QUOTE(Loly Pop @ Sep 23 2008, 04:47 AM) [snapback]1465886[/snapback]

Yeah because Higgs Boson is actual God.
Jovin109
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Sep 13 2008, 12:26 AM) [snapback]1464624[/snapback]

Here's a little reading for you...

http://www.neatorama.com/2008/10/05/the-ma...le-accelerator/

Enjoy.
Dr. Evil
QUOTE(Jovin109 @ Oct 22 2008, 10:59 PM) [snapback]1469485[/snapback]
Here's a little reading for you...

Enjoy.

Here is a shirt for you...

You Hadron me at Higgs Particle

Personally, I think they won't find anything more. Maybe a few new particles, that might be all. With that being said there is something I find exciting about shooting beams of protons at 99.9999991% of the speed of light. To put that into perpsective the beams are traveling around the main circle (17 miles) in about 90 microseconds. 11,000 revolutions a second...damn thats fast. However us mere mortals will have to wait and see what happens. The first time they did a test they were only using 5-10% of full power, they won't be able to get the collider up to full power until sometime in 2009 or 2010.

They are also trying to find other things with the collider. Nature of dark matter and dark energy, gravity (its actually the weakest fundamental force), measure masses and decay of quarks.

Fundamental Forces = Gravitation, Electromagnetism, Weak Interaction and Strong Interaction.
The Awesome One
2009 it will be reattempted.get married,while you can!
Pieface
Please don't spam and bump a topic if you have nothing constructive to add.
QUOTE(therealcbc @ Mar 22 2009, 09:21 PM) [snapback]1491658[/snapback]
That's hilarious.
The Awesome One
2009 it will be done again,thats all i was saying because it broke.thats constructive.
ViceMan
It's supposedly been shut down until September or sometime around autumn.

Then hopefully they'll find this higgs boson... wonder how long it'll be before it appears for sale on e-bay.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Mar 22 2009, 10:52 PM) [snapback]1491665[/snapback]
QUOTE(therealcbc @ Mar 22 2009, 09:21 PM) [snapback]1491658[/snapback]
That's hilarious.

QUOTE(Pieface @ Mar 22 2009, 10:39 PM) [snapback]1491663[/snapback]
Please don't spam and bump a topic if you have nothing constructive to add.

Whats more hilarious is that the post isn't really spam, just poor English and logic.
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

YEEEEAH bits of stuff
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(therealcbc @ Mar 22 2009, 05:21 PM) [snapback]1491658[/snapback]

Is this why you proposed when you did?

On topic, did anything ever come of this Hadron Collider or was it really a big waste of money?
Un-Amurikan Bastage
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 24 2009, 09:12 AM) [snapback]1491935[/snapback]

On topic, did anything ever come of this Hadron Collider or was it really a big waste of money?

Well they haven't used it yet. The janitor got liquid nitrogen everywhere and fucked it all up, so they're waiting for it to get back online.
The Awesome One
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 24 2009, 03:12 PM) [snapback]1491935[/snapback]

no,in fact what i said-and i swear to god-had nothing to do with me getting married.and this thread just reminded me of it.i bet it breaks again.good spot though.
ViceMan
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Mar 24 2009, 01:38 PM) [snapback]1491929[/snapback]

Lol! I never knew there was a retardopedia Canadapedia.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.