Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Internet Speeds
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
Psy
I'm interested to find out what kind of internet speeds people from all over the world are getting these days. The fastest home internet connection we can possibly get in the UK is 24 MB, however I'm sure there are places in Europe or the USA with connections maybe hundreds of times faster. Please post where you're from and what speed internet you get. And if possible, what speed you download files at.

Internet Speed: 20 MB
Download Speed: 2.4 MB/s
FuddMan
UK
'Up to 8Mb' - so obviously I get 6Mb
820kBps.

I want to switch to Be* soon though. They estimate I'll get around 18Mbps, which is about twice as much as any other provider around here - all for 18 a month. Bargain tbh.
Harrop
I thought Virgin Media was the fastest over here (UK) with 20mb.
FuddMan
QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Sep 8 2008, 04:49 PM) [snapback]1463580[/snapback]

Nope, 24Mb is the fastest for home users, and as far as I know, Be* is the only ISP that can provide that outside of city centres. Most areas of the country rarely get anywhere near 20Mb from Virgin anyway - as soon you as you start using the connection you get throttled down to around 2Mb for the rest of the day.
Psy
I tested my possible connection with Be* and it would be 24 MB, but I don't have a BT line so we stuck with Blueyonder (now Virgin Media). My 20 MB connection seems to work pretty well, get a good 2 MB of bandwidth so I could download say 20 files at 100kb/s each and it all works fine. Not really noticed any problems with slow internet at certain times of the day, although I think it may be slightly quicker at 3 am... o_O.
FuddMan
Yeah but you live near the city centre don't you? Around here Virgin's coverage is terrible - torrents get stuck at 5kbps and pings for online gaming are 2x to 3x more than they are for other ISPs.

Strange thing is that before Virgin took over NTL/Telewest it was a pretty decent service.
Psy
I live about 10 miles outside Newcastle city centre, but we've just always had pretty fast internet where I live. Just lucky I suppose.
Lee
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Sep 8 2008, 04:45 PM) [snapback]1463579[/snapback]
UK
'Up to 8Mb' - so obviously I get 6Mb
820kBps.

I want to switch to Be* soon though. They estimate I'll get around 18Mbps, which is about twice as much as any other provider around here - all for 18 a month. Bargain tbh.

I switched from Virgin to Be not long ago. They said up to 18Mbps and I actually get 14.5Mbps which is pretty good, I live about 1 mile from the exchange. Also get about 1.5 upload. Haven't had any down time and no drops in performance in the few months I've been with them. They have good customer support and you get a free wireless router (although watch out for the small print, they still own the router and want it back if you stop using their broadband).

QUOTE(DuffMan @ Sep 8 2008, 05:33 PM) [snapback]1463595[/snapback]
Yeah but you live near the city centre don't you? Around here Virgin's coverage is terrible - torrents get stuck at 5kbps and pings for online gaming are 2x to 3x more than they are for other ISPs.

Strange thing is that before Virgin took over NTL/Telewest it was a pretty decent service.

I had loads of trouble with Virgin and contacted their customer support. I managed to get answers out of them eventually, they changed stuff on their side that was deliberatley to block or render useless any torrent activity, they wont tell you this obviously. What they didn't plan for was the changes they made also blocked gaming communication over the network, it was being recognised as torrent, therefore gaming stopped working completely for me and once they admitted what was arong and told me it could take months to put right, I switched straight away.
DuPz0r
I'm on 16mbs but i rarely get past 14mbs... My upload rate is about 1mbs.
Psy
I gave up downloading torrents through Virgin Media because they go so slow. Now I just use certain forums and certain Rapid and Mega websites to download all of the files I want in the space of about 15 minutes smile.gif.
FrankCastle
I'm in NYC with a Time Warner cable connection.
Download ~ 2.4MB/s
Upload is ~ 62KB/s
Sharpie Fetish
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Sep 8 2008, 04:54 PM) [snapback]1463583[/snapback]
QUOTE(Quim Boy @ Sep 8 2008, 04:49 PM) [snapback]1463580[/snapback]

Nope, 24Mb is the fastest for home users, and as far as I know, Be* is the only ISP that can provide that outside of city centres. Most areas of the country rarely get anywhere near 20Mb from Virgin anyway - as soon you as you start using the connection you get throttled down to around 2Mb for the rest of the day.

My main problem with virgin media

(african woman on phone) Oh yes! you get 20mb internet and 150 extra channels should you not cancel!

After 5 mins of torrenting im down to about 2mb of internet with some like 100kB/s complete and utter crap and ive told my Grandma to get rid of cable and get fucking ANYTHING else we would get faster
Nec
We have Cox Cable here. We got the 7Mb connection, which they recently upgraded (for free for everyone) to 9Mb. If you are downloading large files, it now kicks up to 12Mb automatically. It isn't a bad deal. Internet + phone with unlimited long distance, caller id, call waiting with caller id, and voicemail (which we don't use) for $89 a month.

Just tested at Speedtest.net:

Download: 10.16 Mb/s

Upload: 2.37 Mb/s
Gazz
Im with BT and I have meant to be on the 8MB Package...I live about 1 mile from my local exchange (crucial factor with ADSL) here is my result from Speedtest.net...Also, as I live in Glasgow my reccomended server was Dublin (nearer) but its a sea away so London was the best one for me to test.

A few months back I was ready to switch to Virgin Media, simply because I knew that Cable usually has the advantage over ADSL but their "10Mb+ Rollout" wont be completed for months to come (which is probably the reason my girlfriend's connection keeps dropping even although she is on Virgin Media)...My speeds tend to drop no less than the 6k download (as shown above) and are quite solid most of the time.

-Gazz
TheStig
At the house I have Verizon FiOS which has big ass bandwidth.

Took it last month

It's 5x faster than high speed (Road Runner @ 10Mbps)

It's very good if you are doing high capacity traffics (i.e. servers, gaming, downloading)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.