Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GTA IV DLC On Track For November Release
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Important Information > Site News
FuddMan
Good news folks! Eurogamer is reporting that 'sources close to Rockstar North' have told them the first exclusive episodic content pack for the Xbox 360 version of GTA IV is on track to be released in November this year, perhaps to coincide with the release of GTA IV on the PC.

The pack is expected to include an extra 10 hours of gameplay, as well as new Achievements to unlock. However, we still do not know what extra content the DLC will specifically contain - new missions are almost a given, but we do not know whether there will be new characters, new areas of the city, new races, new activities, new clothes, new vehicles, etc. There has also been no mention of how much this pack will cost us to download, however internet rumors are estimating it will be priced at 1800 Microsoft Points, or around $22/15/20.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Source: Eurogamer
victimsfamily
Wow 10 hours of gameplay ?? It's a very bad way of putting things if it's "official", because there's no way I'm spending "$22/15/20" for 10 hours of gameplay !!
I mean I'm hoping for INFINITE hours of gameplay (I was expecting that when I bought the game tbh), and I bet It would even be less difficult than building new story missions and such. Just give us something to do that can't end for dog's sake, it's GTA...

Thanks for the news between ! Happy to have an approximate release date for DLC anyway !
Psy
I'm assuming they mean 10 hours of storyline / 100%-esque gameplay. The story takes roughly 20 hours if you do it without any guides and don't know what you're doing, then you've got unique jumps and random peds, etc on top. It's perfectly feasible they have 5 hours worth of story missions, then rampages (?), more random peds, paramedic/firefighter missions etc on top.

Obviously the game will have unlimited replay value, but my guess is they stuff they're adding will take 10 hours to complete for the average gamer. That doesn't mean some people won't finish it in 2 hours though.
PabloHoneyOle
Vague DLC rumors still manage to warm my heart.

Fingers crossed.
FuddMan
QUOTE(victimsfamily @ Sep 4 2008, 03:56 PM) [snapback]1462910[/snapback]
Wow 10 hours of gameplay ?? It's a very bad way of putting things if it's "official", because there's no way I'm spending "$22/15/€20" for 10 hours of gameplay !!

Why not? It's rare for any new game to have more than 10-12 hours of gameplay these days, yet you probably still pay the full 40 for it anyway. We're getting an extra third to a half of a game here, time-wise (not counting multiplayer of course), so 15 (which is purely a rumour at the moment) would be about right. If it turns out to be cheaper then great.
asthenia
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Sep 4 2008, 04:06 PM) [snapback]1462915[/snapback]
Wow 10 hours of gameplay ?? It's a very bad way of putting things if it's "official", because there's no way I'm spending "$22/15/20" for 10 hours of gameplay !!

Why not? It's rare for any new game to have more than 10-12 hours of gameplay these days, yet you probably still pay the full 40 for it anyway. We're getting an extra third to a half of a game here, time-wise (not counting multiplayer of course), so 15 (which is purely a rumour at the moment) would be about right. If it turns out to be cheaper then great.

I think he thinks you meant ten hours of gameplay as in from 12pm to 10pm on a Saturday while he's sat in his pants eating Cheetos and drinking Coca Cola.
DuPz0r
Episodic DLC saddens my heart, as i chose the ps3 bandwagon. But i remain optimistic Sony will sort something out with R* in the future... sad.gif
DiO
QUOTE(DuPz0r @ Sep 4 2008, 12:59 PM) [snapback]1462960[/snapback]
Episodic DLC saddens my heart, as i chose the ps3 bandwagon. But i remain optimistic Sony will sort something out with R* in the future... sad.gif

Me too. I think the IV PS3 bundle is just the beginning. Im sure there will be more. What they should have done is made the IV PS3 version open source to users could make mods. I know m$ wouldnt go for that because they had a problem with UT3 doing that and that is why UT3 came out on PS3 first.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(victimsfamily @ Sep 4 2008, 10:56 AM) [snapback]1462910[/snapback]

I think it's important to remember this is the first of a series of episodic content. 10-12 hours of additional missions, manslaughter and meaningful headshots is well worth up to $30 for me (less would be appreciated, mind you).

I'd like to see a stream of episodes released through the course of 2009, maybe even up to the release of the next game.
victimsfamily
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Sep 4 2008, 03:06 PM) [snapback]1462915[/snapback]
Wow 10 hours of gameplay ?? It's a very bad way of putting things if it's "official", because there's no way I'm spending "$22/15/€20" for 10 hours of gameplay !!

You've got a point, then again I don't buy a lot of games and I've always liked GTA because of its total freedom and diversity of things to do, open and realistic environment that we can ACT on or transform or be PART of, instant and endless fun... I found IV a bit of a let down on these point (because as opposed to some people, shooting random peds in the street ain't my favorite activity in this game). I haven't played the game since I finished it, 3 or 4 months ago. I'd been playing San Andreas on and off pretty much until the release of IV...
As for the "exclusive" nature of the DLC, it's really a shame for all the PS3 owners, these kind of marketing moves, coming from either Microsoft or Sony are really not in the interest of gamers...

I must say also, not to sound too much bitter or angry, that I had some VERY good and impressive moments with this game, only I found it completely unable to make these moments LAST and reproduce, as opposed to the preceding GTAs.
firebird999
if they bring back the cheetah, blista, and karuma, i will be happyful;... smile.gif
angeal18
so ps3 owners got fucked again huh? i fucking hate microsoft!
bOnEs
i guess its good news... i've been waiting to hear something about this... hopefully in a month we'll hear about the PS3's DLC date... just because microsnot gave 50 million dollars for first dibs, doesn't mean PS3 will get screwed out of deal either... R* is more loyal to sony than to miscrosnot so, i am sure we'll get something in december perhaps...
Mr.Zipper
Rockstar better give the PS3 owners the ability to punch Bill Gates in the face. (Not really)
DiO
The exclusive DLC is just as much R*'s fault as it is M$'s fault. They didn't have to accept the deal. So be mad a R* to and not just Bill Gates, because I sure am.
Mr.Zipper
I will be mad at Rockstar then, but the PS3 is still getting the DLC correct?
FuddMan
QUOTE(Rooftop_Sniper @ Sep 6 2008, 05:34 AM) [snapback]1463246[/snapback]

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari...-8&oe=UTF-8

We still don't know if it's a timed exclusive or not, but for $50 million I can't see it - that's half of Rockstar's production costs. I don't know what their finances were like but it might be that GTA4 wouldn't have happened at all if it wasn't for Microsoft.
angeal18
all game compaines care about is how much fucking money they can get and they really don't give a fuck about the gamers. microsoft had more money so they got the dlc
EvoZ
QUOTE(angeal 18 @ Sep 5 2008, 01:44 PM) [snapback]1463101[/snapback]
so ps3 owners got fucked again huh? i fucking hate microsoft!
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Sep 5 2008, 06:08 PM) [snapback]1463155[/snapback]
i guess its good news... i've been waiting to hear something about this... hopefully in a month we'll hear about the PS3's DLC date... just because microsnot gave 50 million dollars for first dibs, doesn't mean PS3 will get screwed out of deal either... R* is more loyal to sony than to miscrosnot so, i am sure we'll get something in december perhaps...
I think they gave 50 mil for exclusive DLC and not for first dibs, And Rockstar north the team which developed GTA4 is working on a PS3 exclusive title that should cool down all the Ps3 gamers whining bout the GTA4 DLC. And there will probably be DLC for the PC versions considering they have live, so the Ps3 guys who feel so hard about this can get a PC version and play it.

@Angeal: Well yeah, Rockstar is still a business. They have to consider the profits and incomes. If they didn't care about the gamers they would have just released any crap game every year and fill it with loads of sponers like "eee ae" just to get all the money they can get out of it.
victimsfamily
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Sep 6 2008, 10:41 AM) [snapback]1463277[/snapback]

We still don't know if it's a timed exclusive or not, but for $50 million I can't see it - that's half of Rockstar's production costs. I don't know what their finances were like but it might be that GTA4 wouldn't have happened at all if it wasn't for Microsoft.

Wait, so that means the ps3 owners should actually thank Microsoft for depriving them of contents they could have along with everyone else ?...!
The fact R* got money from Microsoft for an exclusivity doesn't necessarily imply that they had'nt enough to make GTA4 happened.
Anyway I don't know about R*'s finances or the effect of Microsoft's bribe on GTA4's development, all I know is that obviously this game came out way too early. I would have happily waited six more months for a fully finished game with all its planned features, for the TRUE IV experience. I hope some of them features will be in the DLC (and at the same time it would be a shame that from now on games may not be as polished or finished because of this new way of making the gamers pay for "content"...)
Anyway we shouldn't get our hopes up about it, it will probably just be new story missions or additionnal contents like clothes or new shows etc, new features or gameplay content would really surprise me, in a goooood way...

QUOTE(angeal 18)
all game compaines care about is how much fucking money they can get and they really don't give a fuck about the gamers. microsoft had more money so they got the dlc

Exactly. Not to be confused with game creators, though who have to struggle with the marketing's laws to express their ideas and creativity... Real art shouldn't have to worry about that, and I long the time when video games become trully an art form not just a market.
Psy
I remember reading a good two or so years ago, that Rockstar offered Sony exclusivity on GTA4, but the head guy at Sony felt the PS3 could outsell the 360 without GTA exclusively and they didn't want to pay Rockstar for the contract. I'm guessing Rockstar wanted in the region of $50 million for that contract. Instead, they did what any company would logically do and offer it to other consoles to maximise their potential profit, namely the Xbox 360, and Microsoft offered extra money for some exclusive content which Rockstar were obviously happy to provide seeing as 'the PS3 will outsell the 360 anyway'. It doesn't bother me because I have both consoles and I have the game on both consoles too, but personally, I think it's Sony's fault that the PS3 doesn't have exclusive content. They could have had the game exclusively, but they were too arrogant about how well they thought their console would do, so it serves them right to be honest.

Of course, all of that could have been rumours at the time, but it seems entirely possible to me.
FuddMan
QUOTE(victimsfamily @ Sep 8 2008, 01:46 AM) [snapback]1463506[/snapback]
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Sep 6 2008, 10:41 AM) [snapback]1463277[/snapback]

Wait, so that means the ps3 owners should actually thank Microsoft for depriving them of contents they could have along with everyone else ?...!
The fact R* got money from Microsoft for an exclusivity doesn't necessarily imply that they had'nt enough to make GTA4 happened.

I don't know what their finances were like but it might

Keyphrase: I don't know
Keyword: might
victimsfamily
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Sep 8 2008, 11:38 AM) [snapback]1463544[/snapback]
Keyphrase: I don't know
Keyword: might

I know you don't know, I was just questionning the logical link in your supposition, which doesn't exist (I don't mean your supposition is true or false, even if actually it's very unlikely imo, but it's just not well-founded/valid). Just because we don't know doesn't mean we should suppose illogical things, and I reacted because I found the implications behind your supposition to be a little bit cynical.
victimsfamily
QUOTE(Psy @ Sep 8 2008, 09:31 AM) [snapback]1463535[/snapback]
I remember reading a good two or so years ago, that Rockstar offered Sony exclusivity on GTA4, but the head guy at Sony felt the PS3 could outsell the 360 without GTA exclusively and they didn't want to pay Rockstar for the contract. I'm guessing Rockstar wanted in the region of $50 million for that contract. Instead, they did what any company would logically do and offer it to other consoles to maximise their potential profit, namely the Xbox 360, and Microsoft offered extra money for some exclusive content which Rockstar were obviously happy to provide seeing as 'the PS3 will outsell the 360 anyway'. It doesn't bother me because I have both consoles and I have the game on both consoles too, but personally, I think it's Sony's fault that the PS3 doesn't have exclusive content. They could have had the game exclusively, but they were too arrogant about how well they thought their console would do, so it serves them right to be honest.

Of course, all of that could have been rumours at the time, but it seems entirely possible to me.

Gamers don't work for their consoles's companies, and I guess very few have auctions so I don't see why we should really care about whose particular fault it is if Microsoft got the deal and not Sony, I mean either way half the gamers are fucked with this exclusivity thing ! I know you're not confusing Sony with PS3 owners, but anyway is it really important if it's a company or the other that got the exclusivity ?
As a matter of fact these "exclusivity" strategies have nothing to do with gamer's interests !
Indy
Fuck, i'm not buying this unless its really fucking awesome, I ent paying 15 for DLC.
Psy
QUOTE(victimsfamily @ Sep 8 2008, 11:37 PM) [snapback]1463669[/snapback]
QUOTE(Psy @ Sep 8 2008, 09:31 AM) [snapback]1463535[/snapback]

Gamers don't work for their consoles's companies, and I guess very few have auctions so I don't see why we should really care about whose particular fault it is if Microsoft got the deal and not Sony, I mean either way half the gamers are fucked with this exclusivity thing ! I know you're not confusing Sony with PS3 owners, but anyway is it really important if it's a company or the other that got the exclusivity ?
As a matter of fact these "exclusivity" strategies have nothing to do with gamer's interests !

Of course they aren't made with gamers interests in mind, it's all about getting one over their competitors. It's not even really about making money. The reason Microsoft were willing to pay $50 million, which I'm almost certain they won't get back, is to entice people to buy a 360 and get the game for the 360, and I'm sure it worked, because that was a large part of the reason why I bought a 360 console and got the game on both. Most people don't care who is to blame for the exclusivity, you're right, but there are various "Sony fanboys" who are blaming Microsoft for missing out on the exclusive content, and if the rumours are to be believed, they should be pissed off at Sony for their original arrogance than Microsoft for actually paying for it.

Microsoft are free to charge whatever they want for the DLC. They've already paid $50 million to Rockstar Games for it, so there's no profit in it for Rockstar. Microsoft could charge 40 for the content if they wanted to make some money back on their huge investment, however I think 15 is a very fair price bearing in mind it's taken Rockstar about a year to make this Downloadable content, and if you consider GTA Vice City took a year to make, then this addition could potentially be the equivalent of a small new game. I'm not saying it will be though.
Harrop
$50m is fuck all to Microsoft.
Ulster_Niko
I still think the PS3 will get DLC in one form or other. Just later than the 360. I will look foward to it as I have finally got round to completing GTA for the 2nd time with the opposite ending. Not much more to do really, unless I decide to chase 200 fucking pigeons. Which I won't. smile.gif
DuPz0r
I think the DLC will contain a small load of story missions possibly involving the mafia family's in Alderney.
Mr Pink
Hopefully that exclusive 360 DLC will make it one way or another to PC.
DuPz0r
Exclusive doesn't mean a thing to me anymore. That word only seems to last for a couple of months then you hear something about the same content being released for something else.
DiO
QUOTE(Mr Pink @ Sep 11 2008, 06:43 PM) [snapback]1464359[/snapback]
Hopefully that exclusive 360 DLC will make it one way or another to PC.

Lol, one way or another.

GTA 4EVER
me too hopefully the DLC comes bundled with the PC version without paying anymore. and the DLC for PC released before the 360's
TwoFacedTanner
Erm, is it still on track for this month?
I mean, I haven't heard a thing about it since this news post.
And that was in September.

I bet they've gone and delayed it. mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.