Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mercenaries 2
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Other Games > Other Games
bOnEs
QUOTE(aussie_b8ler @ Sep 1 2008, 04:32 AM) [snapback]1462289[/snapback]
to everyone with Mercenaries 2, can you list what you like about the game and what is disappointing??

...a response to this post, and a thread to talk about merc 2...

----------------

here's my personal take... i've played this for 2 days now, off and on during the days... i've pry logged about maybe 10 hours and i am already almost 50% through the game... and it doesn't even feel like i've done a whole lot...

the AI is very buggy when it comes to recruiting help, and when trying to kill em... one time i was trying to get a PMV (i think that's what they're called) and some dude kept shooting me through a tree... and for some reason the tree provided cover for the enemy and i couldn't shoot at em... that's happened a few times... another time i was saving a PMV, he was literally inside a rock, shooting at me...

my biggest gripe is with the AI... at times, it can be frustrating... especially when your way off in the distance and the enemy spotted you somehow, and has alerted the base you are here, even though your way off in the distance... and then they sound the alarm, and the battle gets intenser...

but, those problems aside, this game is still a lot of fun to play... it can get tedious when it comes to collecting oil and supplies but, it's rather fun to steal stuff from allies biggrin.gif... they see you and say stuff like, "hey it's the mercenary! we're saved!" and then you proceed to steal their oil laugh.gif... and really, the collecting part is kinda fun since you have to make sure there's no anti-helicopter protection surrounding the catch...

the driving is definitely no GTA... not even close... but, it works and doesn't take away from the driving experience... the only thing that does is the fact that little rocks are like running into walls... but, being shot at for driving the wrong vehicle, or blowing past check points in a civilian car while hearing, "is he drunk?" is a lot of good fun...

...and the tanks... if i could roll into every battle with one (i would but, sometimes that's not a smart thing to do)... man, the tanks are fun and destructive!! and speaking of destruction, that is definitely the selling point of this game... no other free-roaming game offers this much destruction... you can literally lay waste to an entire town... how many games offer that? the explosions are amazing, and the destruction of the environment around you is simply awesome to watch... i wish i could stand right in the middle of it and take it all in but, then i'd die with the rest of em biggrin.gif...

this game isn't as bad as the guy from IGN said it was in his review but, the buggy AI really does stand out... but, it doesn't really effect the gameplay that much... most of time you just say something like, "stupid AI" and then laugh as he slides down a hill in slow motion laugh.gif... i'd recommend this game to anyone looking for fun destruction...

so far, i give it a 7.5/10 because, it seems rather short... 50% after 10 hours of gameplay, and i've been doing a whole lot of messing around during that 10 hours too... but, the destructive weapons at your disposal, are why you want to play this game, and they don't disappoint biggrin.gif...
DiO
Id the game is going to last you 20 hours then I'd hardly call that short. Then again that includes the fucking around.
bOnEs
yea, i might have done maybe... 12-14 missions?? and i am already at that plateau... but, i'll give some of the missions credit... a couple of them took a while to beat... and some of the others frustrated me completely into the point of wondering why i even bought the game... but, once i cooled down and tried the mission differently, they were a breeze...

i think the thing i was trying to do for the most part was lay waste to every single enemy... lol, you really don't need to do that biggrin.gif... or on some missions, i was trying to go through the entire base of operations when, i could just easily sneak past a few outposts and reach the desired target with less gun-fare...

...or you can just send a "bunker buster" in there and watch an entire area explode into rubble biggrin.gif... i think the replay value of this game is high considering the numerous ways to tackle missions... it might be short but, there's 3 different characters to play as...
TheAnalogKid2112
Ugggghhh. So many mixed opinions. I'll definitely have to rent it then. I love destruction biggrin.gif
bOnEs
i know... i had mixed opinions about it after a couple missions but, it's all in all, pretty fun... once someone else from here gets the game, i'd love to do some co-op destruction just to see what that's all about biggrin.gif... i'll have to start stocking up on artillery laugh.gif...
§ynch
So is it better than Playground of Destruction?
bOnEs
QUOTE(§ynch @ Sep 2 2008, 05:38 PM) [snapback]1462544[/snapback]

...never played the first one... hell, i didn't even know about the first one until people started talking about the second one laugh.gif...
§ynch
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Sep 2 2008, 02:43 PM) [snapback]1462547[/snapback]
QUOTE(§ynch @ Sep 2 2008, 05:38 PM) [snapback]1462544[/snapback]

...never played the first one... hell, i didn't even know about the first one until people started talking about the second one laugh.gif...

What a tragedy. You should check it out.
Sounds like this one is 10 times easier.

I'll buy it tonight, make some comparisons.
I Made Your Mom In GMod
Still waiting to buy my copy (5th of Sept for us British dry.gif), but the reviews are generally less favourable than I'd hoped. I'm waiting to see what Gamespot think of it, because although they'll give it a bad review because they're retarded, they usually explore all the issues on the good and bad side of the game. I'm still going to buy it regardless though.
Hitman540
QUOTE(I Made the guy who works at the cemetary In GMod @ Sep 3 2008, 11:30 AM) [snapback]1462669[/snapback]
I'm waiting to see what Gamespot think of it, because although they'll give it a bad review because they're retarded, they usually explore all the issues. I'm still going to buy it regardless though.

Gamespot finnally reviewed it....

5.0/10

they say its broken... i have to agree somwhat... it does get a little repetitive and pandemic made it sound like it was gonna be one of the best games of 08
I'm still going to buy it regardless though.

go for it..
this game to me is all a matter of opinon.

to all those that are still unsure: rent it and see what you think first.

Kamahl
they should release a demo >.<
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE(Kamahl @ Sep 5 2008, 10:18 PM) [snapback]1463252[/snapback]
they should release a demo >.<

Seriously that would solve everything..
DuPz0r
I'm gonna give this game a miss. For destruction, the new Red Faction seems like a gooden.
FuddMan
^RF3 is even worse. The only decent game with destruction we've had this year is Bad Company, but that was all scripted.
DuPz0r
Scripted destruction always looks better anyway. Well the first time you see it anyway, then it gets boring.
I dont really care too much about destruction in games anyway, i enjoy shooting at things that i can kill.
Pieface
[youtube]QRdaRZ8SN5c[/youtube]

I can't wait to get it =[

Also Alphafist, I was good friends with the UP then you cam along and destroyed it mad.gif
asthenia
Tactical nuke is teh bore. Played it, took it back.
bOnEs
i actually haven't played this game an about a week... not because it sucks but because, other games were released too, and everyone wanting me to play GTAIV online last week biggrin.gif...

it's still fun to play but, when a poor game has to be compared to the godfather of open-world games, they always fall a few rungs short on the ladder of success... but, it's still fun in it's own way that, there isn't nothing else out that offers this much destruction...
Indy
I don't think this games worth a buy. Rent at the most IMO.
aussie_b8ler
i got home today and there was a message from EB games....the game is here....and 2 days early.

i will pick it up tomorrow and let you guys know what i think about it.
Harrop
QUOTE(IndĽ @ Sep 8 2008, 11:57 PM) [snapback]1463675[/snapback]
I don't think this games worth a buy. Rent at the most IMO.

aussie_b8ler
so, i got it this arvo........

i just finished the second mission......[spoiler]the one where you take that guys mansion[/spoiler]

so far i really like it....... i havn't noticed any major bugs, but i hate that the bullets scatter so much. even when i tap the button they go everywhere. other than that it is really solid (from what i've experienced)

it seems as though it will be a really enjoyable game.....

i will keep you posted.
TheAnalogKid2112
Cool, the Mercs 2 demo is coming this Thursday to PSN. Finally I can play it
Gazz
Good game...only thing that put me off was the AI system...you could be hiding behind a wall but the enemies still know you are there, uses a proximity AI detection and not a line of sight detection...apart from that I loved it!
I Made Your Mom In GMod
I did a quick write-up of this on my blog in case anybody's still on the fence about buying this.
§ynch
QUOTE(I Made the guy who works at the cemetary In GMod @ Sep 15 2008, 02:27 PM) [snapback]1465058[/snapback]
I did a quick write-up of this on my blog in case anybody's still on the fence about buying this.
Outstanding write-up. cool.gif
Zen
Nice write up but your blog template burned my eyes into "mere twigs" sad.gif
bOnEs
yea, white text on black backgrounds burns my eyes even before i start reading laugh.gif...

it was a good read though... and i agree with most of your points...
DiO
I didn't have a problem reading it.
Indy
Nor did I, might I add, i've recently become longsighted in my left eye.
I Made Your Mom In GMod
Thanks all. I have a bit of trouble reading the text sometimes, but I thought that was just me. I'll sort it out when I get a moment.
DiO
QUOTE(I Made the guy who works at the cemetary In GMod @ Sep 17 2008, 04:22 PM) [snapback]1465303[/snapback]
Thanks all. I have a bit of trouble reading the text sometimes, but I thought that was just me. I'll sort it out when I get a moment.

And update that bitch more often! [/stalker] You told me when you did update it Id be "the first to know!" Was I? NO! angry.gif
TheAnalogKid2112
Yeah.. Demo sucks. Much, much, much worse AI than I expected from you guys' reviews. I hate the X/Square vehicle controls. I couldn't get to any helicopters because when I'm shot at the camera freaks out. And it just feels.. weird to me. BOO.
ENVi3
i never played the first one.
and i wasn't impressed with the demo for Merc 2.
i doubt i would buy, or even rent this.
Hitman540
if anyone is interested, theres finally a demo on xbox live.
i guess PSN as well.
Benzilla
It's so bad for realism but I must admit it is really fun to play. I rented it for like 3 weeks and completed it then traded it in again. It gets abit boring after the story/you've got all the achievements.

Realism bad, story pretty poor, graphics poor... Still.... rent it cause its awesome... biggrin.gif
bOnEs
i'm actually gonna trade this in when i pick up saints row 2... it was fun for a short while but got extremely repetitive and boring after about 15-20 hours into it... i am sure i wont even bother with finishing the story since, every mission is the same 'ol same 'ol blow up everything here so we can claim it at a base of operations...

the funnest part of the game was stealing enemy oil... and some of the weapons were cool like the bunker buster but, that began to wear itself out after a while... i am sure with the customizing and numerous side objectives, saints row 2 will be worth more playing time than mercs 2....
Dr. Evil
It actually got kinda boring to me about 2-3 hours into it. I just couldn't get into it...I don't know why.
TheAnalogKid2112
I just got this game. It's freakin' fun. I don't know why you guys are downing it so much. The only things I dislike are how Matteas talks (like he has down syndrome,) how hard it is to see your enemies, and that the tank is pretty hard to control. Otherwise, so far I'm loving it.

Also, epic bump.
bOnEs
QUOTE(TheAnalogKid2112 @ Feb 1 2009, 06:10 PM) [snapback]1481404[/snapback]
I just got this game. It's freakin' fun. I don't know why you guys are downing it so much. The only things I dislike are how Matteas talks (like he has down syndrome,) how hard it is to see your enemies, and that the tank is pretty hard to control. Otherwise, so far I'm loving it.

Also, epic bump.

give it a week, you'll be bored again biggrin.gif... i thought it was epic fun when i first started playing but, got really bored after all the repetitive tasks... sorta like what happened with assassins creed... doing the exact same thing over and over does that to me...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.