Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tropic thunder...
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Entertainment
bOnEs
this is i think, the funniest movie i've seen in YEARS!! i mean, i've seen some good ones over the years but, no movie had me laughing quite like this one... i could barely make it through the first 20 minutes laugh.gif... it was soo over the top that, my sides starting hurting from all the laughing... thankfully it slowed down a bit after that and turned into a story-driven piece... but, this movie was just a lot of fun to watch and every single goddamn character was awesome... one thing ben stiller is good at is creating memorable characters and, every single one of them were memorable, and worked well with each other... every single one of them!! all 8+ of 'em...

this is likely the best comedy this decade, IMO... their might be some other contenders but, i can't remember one being this funny... you must go see it!! a movie about making the greatest war movie turns into a war movie... lol, it really works biggrin.gif...

go see it now!!
Mattay
It was a good movie. I thought the first part of it was kind of retarded, but as the story went along it got funnier.
bOnEs
that's why i liked the first part... i love over the top stuff like that biggrin.gif... but, it really does settle down after the gag jokes and turns into a really good movie... i would of never thought in a million years that tom cruise would play that kind of character, too...
Mattay
I know, I had no clue that was Tom Cruise. It didn't sound like him or anything. Crazy.
TheAnalogKid2112
It's worth seeing in theaters? Not many movies I've seen lately are really worth it. This one looks pretty good, though.
Hardcore Ottoman
You didn't see Iron Man? The Dark Knight? Pineapple Express?

Btw, I might see this today. I'm still trying to track down one last textbook for the Fall.
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE(King Midas Bitch! @ Aug 20 2008, 06:05 AM) [snapback]1460225[/snapback]
You didn't see Iron Man? The Dark Knight? Pineapple Express?

Btw, I might see this today. I'm still trying to track down one last textbook for the Fall.

I stand corrected.
bOnEs
analogkid - if you haven't seen dark knight, your missing out on the best movie of the year... you should at least pony up for that... i know theaters are getting expensive, that's why i'm very selective nowadays but, the dark knight and tropic thunder are the must-see movies of the year, IMO...
Hardcore Ottoman
James Franco in Pineapple Express is so good you'll sincerely wish he was your friend ha ha!
DiO
QUOTE(King Midas Bitch! @ Aug 20 2008, 10:43 AM) [snapback]1460255[/snapback]
James Franco in Pineapple Express is so good you'll sincerely wish he was your friend ha ha!

Seen it yesterday. Awesome movie. I had head good buzz around tropic thunder. Ill probably see it. Its only 4.20 to see movies on Tuesday. Sweet fucking deal.
Mattay
Don't forget The Incredible Hulk.

I was planning on going to see The Dark Knight several times, but I never went. Pineapple Express was absolutely hilarious and Iron Man was amazing. Step Brothers made me lol too.
Hardcore Ottoman
I saw Step Brothers too but damn were some characters just unnecessary. I haven't seen the Incredible Hulk yet but I heard Ed Norton didn't like the final cut and didn't endorse the movie. I'm waiting for the director's cut.
Ex-PS Fanboy
i was gonna go see this with my friends but i didn't have no money, anyway i heard it was one of the best movies ever made, and i could imagine it is considering it took them like 7 years to write the script
bOnEs
you know, i know of a place where you can watch " A TON" of movies online for free, lots of ones still in theaters... after seeing the dark knight on iMAX, i decided to watch it a couple more times online... i don't think i can post such links here on the forums but, if your interested, i'll send you the link via PM...
Dr. Evil
I thought Bones was talking about comedies and people come up with Iron Man, Dark Knight and such. Don't get me wrong they are great movies. Dark Knight is probably the best performance for Heath Ledger ever! Then the fool goes and offs himself. After watching Iron Man I have decided that Robert Downy Jr. is definately back for the better. Haven't seen Pineapple Express or Tropic Thunder yet but I will. I am really curious about James Franco's role in that movie. Watching previews I couldn't even tell it was him.
bOnEs
lol, i know... this was suppose to be a topic about tropic thunder... somehow it's turned into the "summer movie guide" laugh.gif...
TheAnalogKid2112
Ok.. I just saw this on Saturday.

No. Just no.
I can't believe I was so dissapointed. There were only like 3 funny parts. Maybe my expectations were too high? I can't believe I didn't love this. Oh well. Good action though.
bOnEs
ahh, that's a shame sad.gif... did you see it online? if you saw it in the theaters, you would of seen each actors fake "movie" previews, which were hilarious and set up the characters... ohh well though... can't please em all i guess biggrin.gif...

you still need to see the dark knight though biggrin.gif...
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Sep 8 2008, 09:35 AM) [snapback]1463596[/snapback]
ahh, that's a shame sad.gif... did you see it online? if you saw it in the theaters, you would of seen each actors fake "movie" previews, which were hilarious and set up the characters... ohh well though... can't please em all i guess biggrin.gif...

you still need to see the dark knight though biggrin.gif...

Yeah I saw it in theaters. Those previews were hilarious. There were a few really really funny parts that I'll quote in the future.. I actually think I just wasn't in the mood for a comedy. It was sort of a last-minute thing with some friends. I definitely should have seen Pineapple Express instead, though.
PabloHoneyOle
I saw it on Sunday. I thought it was hilarious. Well worth seeing in the theatres for the "action", great SFX.

The final scene with the bridge had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe.

Some of the language was over the top, to the extreme. Blatant overuse of shit, fuck and other combos are only good in moderate doses, alot of the swearing was really unnecessary; and that's coming from ME.

Otherwise, there was a brilliant script; hilarious movie references galore; tons of cameos; definitely one to own on DVD.

Best line of the movie: "I'm a motherfucking LEAD farmer!"
shootthebandit
not seen it yet but looks like a good war movie spoof.

i know spoofs of late have been terrible: disater movie, scary-movies 1-4, meet the spartans. but this actually looks funny.

i actually like overzelous swearing, the part of the world i come from swearing was used in almost ever sentence. i think its probably hitting at rambo as every time he opens his mouth (which is not very often) he mutters the word 'fuck'.

looks like a good film, i cant comment coz ive not seen it yet but i can tell itll be good.
bOnEs
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Sep 9 2008, 12:48 PM) [snapback]1463840[/snapback]
not seen it yet but looks like a good war movie spoof.

i know spoofs of late have been terrible: disater movie, scary-movies 1-4, meet the spartans. but this actually looks funny.

i actually like overzelous swearing, the part of the world i come from swearing was used in almost ever sentence. i think its probably hitting at rambo as every time he opens his mouth (which is not very often) he mutters the word 'fuck'.

looks like a good film, i cant comment coz ive not seen it yet but i can tell itll be good.

lol, this is not like the "insert-genre-we-make-fun-of" movies that are utter crap... this is a movie about making the most expensive war movie, that turns into a war movie... in other words, robert downey jr. is the dude that's playing a dude, disguised as another dude laugh.gif...
PabloHoneyOle
It's not a spoof, it's a PARODY. Big difference.
bOnEs
...and it's not just a parody of war movies, it's a parody of hollywood, actors, and film making as a whole... this movie makes fun of itself basically... and you'll laugh at em and with em biggrin.gif...
shootthebandit
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Sep 9 2008, 06:54 PM) [snapback]1463856[/snapback]
It's not a spoof, it's a PARODY. Big difference.

is it similar to 'shrek' in the respect that shrek made a mockery of fairytales yet it still had the cliche fairytale plot. jack black and ben stiller will be a good comedy combo. shame its rated 18 (i think?)
Hardcore Ottoman
Shame you just admitted you aren't 17+ years old.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(King Midas Bitch! @ Sep 9 2008, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1463918[/snapback]

Ha, very nice.

Yes, it is rated R or 18+ or whatever the fuck your rating system is, and it is rated appropriately, if only for overly excessive swearing.

As far as comparing it to Shrek, I don't watch little kid movies. It just made fun of hollywood, actors, method acting, movies and writers/directors. So if Shrek had any of that shit plus an intense action plot full of blood, guts, drugs and chinese child warlords, than yes, it was JUST like Shrek.
shootthebandit
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Sep 10 2008, 03:26 PM) [snapback]1464027[/snapback]
QUOTE(King Midas Bitch! @ Sep 9 2008, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1463918[/snapback]

Ha, very nice.

Yes, it is rated R or 18+ or whatever the fuck your rating system is, and it is rated appropriately, if only for overly excessive swearing.

As far as comparing it to Shrek, I don't watch little kid movies. It just made fun of hollywood, actors, method acting, movies and writers/directors. So if Shrek had any of that shit plus an intense action plot full of blood, guts, drugs and chinese child warlords, than yes, it was JUST like Shrek.

i was asking if it is SIMILAR to shrek IN THE RESPECT, that shrek makes fun of fairytales yet turns out to be one.

i thought that tropic thunder was a movie set out to make fun of war movies but turns out to be one.

that is why i made the comparison, that is where the similarities end.

yes i am below 18. im actually 16 but in UK there quite strict with I.D.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Sep 10 2008, 12:57 PM) [snapback]1464062[/snapback]
i was asking if it is SIMILAR to shrek IN THE RESPECT, that shrek makes fun of fairytales yet turns out to be one.

i thought that tropic thunder was a movie set out to make fun of war movies but turns out to be one.

that is why i made the comparison, that is where the similarities end.

yes i am below 18. im actually 16 but in UK there quite strict with I.D.

I guess you're correct... but in that same logic, they are both similar as they both have plots and both are movies.

Don't worry about being 16, everyone was there once.
Hardcore Ottoman
True. I'm 18 and I'd like another shot at 16 as mine was actually bittersweet...

DuPz0r
I wasn't that impressed with this movie, i thought it would be much funnier. I think Step Brothers was a better watch imo.
Dr. Evil
Finally saw it this last weekend. Hilarious, loved it, buying the dvd. Same with Step Brothers.
Benzilla
I don't understand why they got Tom Cruise to play him, why didn't they just get some fat old actor instead of paying an actor that is going to cost loads of money... I didn't believe it was him when I saw the credits.... I came home and looked on the internet, and it was him ohmy.gif

Really epic movie though. Starts off so funny... and ends really funny too. Middle gets a little boring but it's still great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.