Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My comp is fucked
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
DiO
My comp is fucked. I can't boot it up. It loads and says it wasn't shut off property and I have to select safe mode or start up normallly. Either way itll load for a few seconds and then restart. Any ideas?

PS posting from my PS3.
Severus Snape
Interesting. Sounds like a virus. Can you at least get into BIOS? Have you updated BIOS recently?

If it is a virus, can you pull your hard drive, put it in an external enclosure, plug it into another running PC via USB and run virus scan?
FrankCastle
When exactly does it restart? Do you see the windows loading screen? Do you get to your desktop briefly before it restarts?
DiO
QUOTE(Boom Stick @ Aug 19 2008, 08:07 AM) [snapback]1460102[/snapback]
Interesting. Sounds like a virus. Can you at least get into BIOS? Have you updated BIOS recently?

If it is a virus, can you pull your hard drive, put it in an external enclosure, plug it into another running PC via USB and run virus scan?

That sounds like a good option. And ill be sure to google BIOS.
edit - yes I can get into my BIOS. I was poking around there the other day. I had no idea what I was doing, mind you.

QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Aug 19 2008, 04:11 PM) [snapback]1460164[/snapback]
When exactly does it restart? Do you see the windows loading screen? Do you get to your desktop briefly before it restarts?
It restarts at the windows loading screen.
Severus Snape
QUOTE(Albiskinth4yn3ia @ Aug 19 2008, 04:25 PM) [snapback]1460166[/snapback]
edit - yes I can get into my BIOS. I was poking around there the other day. I had no idea what I was doing, mind you.

Sounds like you changed something in BIOS that is messing up loading. Can you go in and restore your defaults? If not, your only option is to go on the internet and download the latest version of BIOS for your machine. You can find out what motherboard and chipset you have by going into BIOS and getting that information. Then you can go to the Motherboard manufacturer website and get the latest version of BIOS. Depending on how old your machine is, you should be able to use the BIOS update utility through BIOS to update once you have the new version downloaded and copied onto floppy disk (see frank - I told you having a floppy drive is useful).
DiO
QUOTE(Boom Stick @ Aug 20 2008, 09:28 AM) [snapback]1460234[/snapback]
QUOTE(Albiskinth4yn3ia @ Aug 19 2008, 04:25 PM) [snapback]1460166[/snapback]

Sounds like you changed something in BIOS that is messing up loading. Can you go in and restore your defaults? If not, your only option is to go on the internet and download the latest version of BIOS for your machine. You can find out what motherboard and chipset you have by going into BIOS and getting that information. Then you can go to the Motherboard manufacturer website and get the latest version of BIOS. Depending on how old your machine is, you should be able to use the BIOS update utility through BIOS to update once you have the new version downloaded and copied onto floppy disk (see frank - I told you having a floppy drive is useful).

Well, I went into the BIOS after my computer starting fucking up like this hoping to find something. And I selected default settings and tried other things like that. But I will try an update.

edit

LOL @ bold'd
FrankCastle
It sounds like it's not the BIOS. If resetting defaults doesn't help, then updating the BIOS most likely won't either. Although, it usually wouldn't hurt to do it anyway. I say usually because a BIOS update gone wrong will turn that motherboard into high tech piece of garbage.

I think the first thing to do before that would be to run chkdsk c:/r command from the recovery console. All you need is the windows XP CD.
Pieface
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Aug 20 2008, 09:43 PM) [snapback]1460333[/snapback]
It sounds like it's not the BIOS. If resetting defaults doesn't help, then updating the BIOS most likely won't either. Although, it usually wouldn't hurt to do it anyway. I say usually because a BIOS update gone wrong will turn that motherboard into high tech piece of garbage.

I think the first thing to do before that would be to run chkdsk c:/r command from the recovery console. All you need is the windows XP CD.

Or could just do a fresh install, but you won't be able to get your files back.
DiO
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Aug 20 2008, 03:43 PM) [snapback]1460333[/snapback]

That I don't have. FUCK! (This is a result of moving 3 times since having the computer so it is not my fault.) Im pretty sure I don't have it anyways. I haven't seen it for years. Maybe my brother has it.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(Pieface @ Aug 20 2008, 04:47 PM) [snapback]1460335[/snapback]

That is a last resort, desperation move. I wouldn't do that until all other options and ideas are out of the way. I definitely have not ran out of ideas yet, we're taking this step by step.

If you can get your hands on another PC, not the PS3. Then these instructions might help.

I noticed there under comments a user had problems with the CD. If that's the case then you'll have to do it the hard way with 6 floppy disks.
DiO
Now that's awesome. I will try.
SMEAR
reformat your pc
Severus Snape
QUOTE(SMEAR @ Aug 21 2008, 06:20 PM) [snapback]1460567[/snapback]
reformat your pc

That's not the best option here. The point is to try and get his PC working again WITHOUT reformatting.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(SMEAR @ Aug 21 2008, 07:20 PM) [snapback]1460567[/snapback]
reformat your pc

Reformat your reply biggrin.gif

We already said that reformatting is the LAST option.
DiO
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Aug 21 2008, 12:15 PM) [snapback]1460517[/snapback]

That is a last resort, desperation move. I wouldn't do that until all other options and ideas are out of the way. I definitely have not ran out of ideas yet, we're taking this step by step.

If you can get your hands on another PC, not the PS3. Then these instructions might help.

I noticed there under comments a user had problems with the CD. If that's the case then you'll have to do it the hard way with 6 floppy disks.

I got the disc burned fine and I put it in my computer. I ran it. I'm pretty sure I did it correctly. Though it didn't fix my computer. Its probably a virus. How much are those external hardrive enclosures? They can cost too much.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(Albiskinth4yn3ia @ Aug 26 2008, 04:02 PM) [snapback]1461334[/snapback]

I got the disc burned fine and I put it in my computer. I ran it. I'm pretty sure I did it correctly. Though it didn't fix my computer. Its probably a virus. How much are those external hardrive enclosures? They can cost too much.

You did the chkdsk and it didn't find any errors? Have you tried the fixboot command? Type that command in from the recovery console. Restart and see if it helped, if not go back to the recovery console and try the fixmbr command. A warning message will come up, go ahead with it and then restart when it's done.

An external hard drive enclosure is roughly $20 - $35 for a decent one. Check newegg
DiO
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Aug 26 2008, 08:02 PM) [snapback]1461367[/snapback]
QUOTE(Albiskinth4yn3ia @ Aug 26 2008, 04:02 PM) [snapback]1461334[/snapback]

You did the chkdsk and it didn't find any errors? Have you tried the fixboot command? Type that command in from the recovery console. Restart and see if it helped, if not go back to the recovery console and try the fixmbr command. A warning message will come up, go ahead with it and then restart when it's done.

An external hard drive enclosure is roughly $20 - $35 for a decent one. Check newegg

Perhaps I didn't do it right. I did actually try fixboot but not the others.
DiO
Tried the fixboot again and the fixmbr. They didn't fix it. I couldnt do a chkdsk. It said it couldnt locate the autocheck.exe and asked me to type in the full path of it. Which I don't know.
asthenia
First result in Google, might help. Read the bottom post.
DiO
QUOTE(Asthenia @ Aug 28 2008, 05:28 PM) [snapback]1461699[/snapback]
First result in Google, might help. Read the bottom post.

Ast.......helping....... ohmy.gif
asthenia
Yyyyeah. Only happens sometimes.

Was it any good?
EvoZ
I used to have a similar problem, mine had something to do with the Power supply and the processor. But in my case my comp was pretty old so I just got a new one with a new cabinet, processor and jizz. Try using another HDD on you PC and booting up, or try hooking up your current HDD to another rig and boot up, That way you can find out which has the problem.
DiO
QUOTE(Asthenia @ Aug 29 2008, 03:43 PM) [snapback]1461842[/snapback]

Was it any good?

NO! angry.gif

QUOTE(EvoZ @ Sep 2 2008, 04:22 AM) [snapback]1462452[/snapback]
I used to have a similar problem, mine had something to do with the Power supply and the processor. But in my case my comp was pretty old so I just got a new one with a new cabinet, processor and jizz. Try using another HDD on you PC and booting up, or try hooking up your current HDD to another rig and boot up, That way you can find out which has the problem.

Good Idea. I just put a new power supply in the dam thing. It wasn't even turning on at all before I got the new one. It is now but it can't get past the windows loading screen. My dad and brother are bothering me to just take it in. Im NOT taking it to future shop. They are fucking crooks there. But I know a place.
§ynch
QUOTE(Laurence Trevennor @ Sep 2 2008, 09:09 AM) [snapback]1462497[/snapback]
QUOTE(Asthenia @ Aug 29 2008, 03:43 PM) [snapback]1461842[/snapback]

Was it any good?

NO! angry.gif

QUOTE(EvoZ @ Sep 2 2008, 04:22 AM) [snapback]1462452[/snapback]

Good Idea. I just put a new power supply in the dam thing. It wasn't even turning on at all before I got the new one. It is now but it can't get past the windows loading screen. My dad and brother are bothering me to just take it in. Im NOT taking it to future shop. They are fucking crooks there. But I know a place.

If you can get ahold of a manual for your motherboard,
the correct BIOS settings may be listed.
At least they would tell you what they are, and what they do.
One wrong setting (by accident) and the OS won't load.
We get systems back from customers at work all the time
with this exact same description of problem.
Always check the BIOS settings.

(Not re-flashing the BIOS chip)
DiO
Any manual we've ever had is long gone. IDK if we even did get one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.