Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GTA Maker
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > Downloadable Content / Next GTA Discussion
racer123246
Hello everyone, I know my first post didn't go well, but here goes nothing.

I just thought about this as I was scrolling through the forums. I'm like, "Well, how about a GTA maker?"
You could make your own 3-D person into a 2-D (Or 3-D) experience. You could make your own city, your own people, your own missions, your own cars, trains, nonsense. Or you could just play one of the regular games, From the first to newest.

Here are some pros and cons:

P_______R______O______S\C____O____N____S
.Fully Custom(or not) game- .Could lag,cause
play problems
.Experience All Games In 1! .GTA IV?
.$120.00 for everything! .Pricey
.All Systems-JUST KIDDING! ALL SYSTEMS CAN'T RUN THIS!!!

Would this be better Stoic?!?!

Please, let's actually talk about this topic for once, thanks.
ViceMan
Eh? Expand on the idea of "creating your own GTA", how would you accomplish that? I'm sure if you ask R* nicely they'll give you all their dev tools free of charge. It wouldn't be much of a game, you'd spend 6 months scripting a nice explosion only to realise it's the intro of the first mission. Or do you mean a Sim City/GTA hybrid? I'm sure such a thing is possible on the current platforms, but it'd be more suited to a PC as a GTA spinoff, and R* aren't known for their spinoffs.

I think in the long run it's safer to leave the city building to R*, i'll just play the finished product.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(racer123246 @ Aug 16 2008, 02:41 PM) [snapback]1459704[/snapback]

First, I applaud you on the post. I'll address your post in just a second.

Second, I appreciate the "shout-out"; but due to my ever-increasing-on-a-daily-basis warn level, I've decided to take a breather from open assaults posts (deserving or not). I want you to pray for me, pray for strength for me to be nice.

On to your post:
I've never played GTA on PC, but I understand there is a large amount of modding options available. I don't know if you can get as in-depth as a virtual "GTA Maker"; but I'm sure there are programs out there that will allow for a large amount of modifications to the previous GTA's.

As far as an all out create your own GTA experience, I think it would be a little more than I would look for in a game. I don't know it would be as fun to know everything in advance that you are going to experience in a new game because you just finished programming it. The best part of GTA is finding out all the little things the programmers did to make the city feel real and all the little things that make you crack-up laughing mid-game.

I agree with Viceman, I enjoy experiencing R*'s finished product, they put so much into every game that I would probably leave out of my version.
racer123246
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Aug 18 2008, 08:33 AM) [snapback]1459932[/snapback]
QUOTE(racer123246 @ Aug 16 2008, 02:41 PM) [snapback]1459704[/snapback]

First, I applaud you on the post. I'll address your post in just a second.

Second, I appreciate the "shout-out"; but due to my ever-increasing-on-a-daily-basis warn level, I've decided to take a breather from open assaults posts (deserving or not). I want you to pray for me, pray for strength for me to be nice.

On to your post:
I've never played GTA on PC, but I understand there is a large amount of modding options available. I don't know if you can get as in-depth as a virtual "GTA Maker"; but I'm sure there are programs out there that will allow for a large amount of modifications to the previous GTA's.

As far as an all out create your own GTA experience, I think it would be a little more than I would look for in a game. I don't know it would be as fun to know everything in advance that you are going to experience in a new game because you just finished programming it. The best part of GTA is finding out all the little things the programmers did to make the city feel real and all the little things that make you crack-up laughing mid-game.

I agree with Viceman, I enjoy experiencing R*'s finished product, they put so much into every game that I would probably leave out of my version.

Ok then stoic, um... The really good thing is you could play all the game on it and you could personalize and modify the complete game or start from scratch. Or just leave the game alone and play normally.
Qdeathstar
I don't know. I found that 2D GTA was quite lame, so i wouldn't be interested in created a 2D world...

If its 3D... then there wouldn't be any way to make it as realistic and detailed as GTA4, and even it you could make it as realistic and detailed as GTA4, the game would contain no story, and would get boring very quickly.

Besides that, creating a map the size of GTA4 would be extremely tedious... I mean, adding every little detail required to make the game worth playing. Who wants to see the same store fronts every where on the same exact type of road every where in a cookie cutter gta maker.

Sounds lame on the whole. Real Lame.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Sittin @ Aug 20 2008, 08:34 AM) [snapback]1460219[/snapback]

istealkegs
QUOTE(Sittin @ Aug 20 2008, 08:34 AM) [snapback]1460219[/snapback]
I don't know. I found that 2D GTA was quite lame, so i wouldn't be interested in created a 2D world...

If its 3D... then there wouldn't be any way to make it as realistic and detailed as GTA4, and even it you could make it as realistic and detailed as GTA4, the game would contain no story, and would get boring very quickly.

Besides that, creating a map the size of GTA4 would be extremely tedious... I mean, adding every little detail required to make the game worth playing. Who wants to see the same store fronts every where on the same exact type of road every where in a cookie cutter gta maker.

I agree on the most part... but as far as your comment about the game getting boring with no story, I have had way more fun playing gta since I have beaten the story mode... so...
Qdeathstar
the no story part was just an aside, i like to play games with a good story, but it would still be boring because the level of detail just wouldn't be there.

How fun would GTA4 be if all the textures were of lower quality, and the peds were mostly monotone and lackluster. I mean, thats what i'd expect in a GTA "maker"
Ex-PS Fanboy
i can't see this working, maybe if they took small aspects of the game creator, like in tony hawk games, it would work.

but your idea would just take way to long, personnaly i'd rather wait and buy a game buy rockstar instead of buying a program by them, then spending 16 months making a half-assed GTA game.
racer123246
QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Aug 22 2008, 03:20 PM) [snapback]1460687[/snapback]
i can't see this working, maybe if they took small aspects of the game creator, like in tony hawk games, it would work.

but your idea would just take way to long, personnaly i'd rather wait and buy a game buy rockstar instead of buying a program by them, then spending 16 months making a half-assed GTA game.

You have a point,

But what if it was like GMOD?
bOnEs
QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Aug 22 2008, 03:20 PM) [snapback]1460687[/snapback]

16 months?! a project like this, even if i were to put in 8 hours a day working on it, would probably take me 16 years to create...

the idea is cool but, putting that idea to work would take years to do... R* has hundreds of people working on these projects and it still takes them 2-4 years to do it... even if i had a small motley crew of a dozen, it would still take many many years to do...
asthenia
Spend 40 on a GTA Maker...

...go to uni, study, becomes a games developer (GTA maker?!), and earn shit loads...

I dunno. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.