Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GTA: london, good or bad?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > Downloadable Content / Next GTA Discussion
shootthebandit
im from UK but im definatley not a london fanboy. im from the north and ive only visted london once. ive got a few pros and cons, im kinda half and half with the idea.

good points:

. good british soundtrack (oasis, U2, stone roses, the who and even the beatles)
. intersting places (big ben, london eye, tower bridge)
. great cop chases over those lovely jumpable bridges
. unique cars (minis, london cabs, red buses)
. a shoot-out in buckingham palace would be awsome, youd automaticaly get 4 stars for entering
. those guards that dont move/laugh would be cool

bad points:

. its not america
. last GTA:london sucked
. not many possiblities for a story
. not much gangs (well serious gangs)
. police dont have guns (only a small number do)

what do you think?

PabloHoneyOle
Bad idea. London would be just as good as any city, but I'd prefer it NOT be in London.

This probably didn't need a poll.
It's either "yes" or "no" and I doubt enough people are going to respond to gather a worthy statistical conclusion.
craniumkick
not yet theres to many good us citys that havent been made yet. chicago,DC,Philly,atlanta,detroit,boston etc etc,
london should be the next gens first release. i hope for the next gta they put states/citys together like in san andreas something like this would be cool = chicago (large island),DC (large),philly (large),boston (medium),detroit, (small),amd atlanta (small). all new places to venture.
ViceMan
You have to remember it won't be London, but a city based on London from R*'s perspective, which means it doesn't have to be an exact representation of the city, just the good bits. If they did do it i'd want to see some proper authentic London accents for the dialogue, unlike the way the English are portrayed in Family Guy, yeah, we all talk posh and watch cricket and drink tea, of course, if you come to Essex you'll find out that's not the case. Since I know most yanks don't like interpreting other accents i'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but fuck it, if we have to listen to their constant American drawl all the time surely they can suffer a bit of "real" English...I'm sorry, am I rambling, if I am just tell me.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(ViceMan @ Aug 15 2008, 03:14 PM) [snapback]1459610[/snapback]
You have to remember it won't be London, but a city based on London from R*'s perspective, which means it doesn't have to be an exact representation of the city, just the good bits. If they did do it i'd want to see some proper authentic London accents for the dialogue, unlike the way the English are portrayed in Family Guy, yeah, we all talk posh and watch cricket and drink tea, of course, if you come to Essex you'll find out that's not the case. Since I know most yanks don't like interpreting other accents i'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but fuck it, if we have to listen to their constant American drawl all the time surely they can suffer a bit of "real" English...I'm sorry, am I rambling, if I am just tell me.

ViceMan
Precisely. doh (12).gif
shootthebandit
infact GTA:LONDON is a shit idea.

GTA:GLASGOW FTW. this guy has to be the main character: hes funny, aggressive, stereotypical and fucking badass. he's known only as 'the big man'.
[youtube]o8yQIg7ydbg[/youtube]

this vid is from a popular glaswegian sketch show that relates to real-life in glasgow. theres lots of inside jokes so you probably wont find it that funny.

FuddMan
Putting GTA anywhere in the UK would be a bad idea. From a crime perspective, it's not a fun place to be. The worst violence we get is a few stabbings, unlike the fully-fledged gunfights you get in America.

Look at how plain the second Getaway game was. All the interesting places had been covered in the original game so that Black Monday had nothing to work with, which just goes to show how limited London (or any city in the UK) would be in GTA - if you can't make two decent games out of it, what would be the point?

As much as I hate to say it, America is the best place for GTA. Basically every city has a full range of social classes, cultures, etc, which makes it so interesting from our point of view playing as a criminal. The UK has plenty of foreigners and chavs but that's about it.
shootthebandit
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Aug 16 2008, 02:14 PM) [snapback]1459681[/snapback]
Putting GTA anywhere in the UK would be a bad idea. From a crime perspective, it's not a fun place to be. The worst violence we get is a few stabbings, unlike the fully-fledged gunfights you get in America.

Look at how plain the second Getaway game was. All the interesting places had been covered in the original game so that Black Monday had nothing to work with, which just goes to show how limited London (or any city in the UK) would be in GTA - if you can't make two decent games out of it, what would be the point?

As much as I hate to say it, America is the best place for GTA. Basically every city has a full range of social classes, cultures, etc, which makes it so interesting from our point of view playing as a criminal. The UK has plenty of foreigners and chavs but that's about it.

true but if the UK was tweaked to have gun-fghts it would be pretty cool, after all the game doesnt have to reflect reality 100%. the UK has better roads for driving unlike the constant stram of straight roads in IV. if the game was set in London, it could be based on a tough 'Vinnie Jones' type character.

we all know that the UK has low gun-crime and that the police dont carry weapons but if they did add guns to the UK then it would be better than USA. purely for the fact hat the cities are more interesting and the roads are better. i remeber the game midtown-madness for PC. i loved driving throgh London, jumping over the bridges and escaping the cops.
Don Leone
Why not Palermo?
Don Peyote
I think London would be a great place. And to the people arguing theres not much crime, you need base your arguement on facts, rather than your own perceptions. There are actually over 20 gun related incidents reported in London everyday, the city averages around 200 murders a year, thousands of robberies, hundreds of kidnappings, all the same stuff you get in American cities. Also remember that the crime is heavily exagerated in GTA games, trust me American cities are no where near as violent in real life.

London also has a lot of high end organised gangs which could make for some interesting storylines, ranging from the Russian mafia, Italian/Sicilian mafia, Turkish mafia, Irish mob, Triads, Yardies, South American drug smugglers, middle eastern gangs, Vietnamese gangs, traditional Cockney Mobs, you name it, London has it. And there are many street gangs too, and im not talking about your average chav gangs, Londons real street gangs are just as brutal as American ones.

As for normal police not having guns, most now have tasers which would be something new to GTA. The police system wouldnt be much different to previous GTAs, 1 star you have cops with tasers and batons, 2 stars they call in armed police with pistols, 3 stars co19 are called in with heckler & cochs, mp5s, shotguns and helicopters, 4 stars more co19s and cops in high speed chase cars, 5 stars mi5 or mi6, 6 stars the territorial army, or even better the SAS.

Its also worth noting that the UK has seen some massive robberies over the years (bigger than any in America), im sure most from this country will remember the Securitas depot robbery a few years ago, where the robbers got away with 53,116,760, to this day its the second largest robbery in history. Imagine if there was a mission based on that robbery, it would be epic.
shootthebandit
the new film 'rock n rolla' which is set in UK (london i think) and its about high-end gangs.

theres no arguing that london would be more fun to drive in

the main character would have to be a cockney
firebird999
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Aug 15 2008, 12:48 PM) [snapback]1459584[/snapback]
good points:

. good british soundtrack (oasis, U2, stone roses, the who and even the beatles)
already has the who (at least)
. intersting places (big ben, london eye, tower bridge)
empire state building, abandoned hospitals, statue of liberty, what's not interesting about that?
. great cop chases over those lovely jumpable bridges
. unique cars (minis, london cabs, red buses)
what's wrong with maybachs, hummers, lambos, and ferarris?
. a shoot-out in buckingham palace would be awsome, youd automaticaly get 4 stars for entering
airport
. those guards that dont move/laugh would be cool

bad points:

. its not america
so?
. last GTA:london sucked
so that's why we get a new one.
. not many possiblities for a story
not at all true
. not much gangs (well serious gangs)
maybe there are more that you don't know about
. police dont have guns (only a small number do)
don't you brits have a lil' somethin' called SWAT?

Hardcore Ottoman
QUOTE(Cosa Nostra @ Sep 15 2008, 04:56 PM) [snapback]1465047[/snapback]
I think London would be a great place. And to the people arguing theres not much crime, you need base your arguement on facts, rather than your own perceptions. There are actually over 20 gun related incidents reported in London everyday, the city averages around 200 murders a year, thousands of robberies, hundreds of kidnappings, all the same stuff you get in American cities. Also remember that the crime is heavily exagerated in GTA games, trust me American cities are no where near as violent in real life.

London also has a lot of high end organised gangs which could make for some interesting storylines, ranging from the Russian mafia, Italian/Sicilian mafia, Turkish mafia, Irish mob, Triads, Yardies, South American drug smugglers, middle eastern gangs, Vietnamese gangs, traditional Cockney Mobs, you name it, London has it. And there are many street gangs too, and im not talking about your average chav gangs, Londons real street gangs are just as brutal as American ones.

As for normal police not having guns, most now have tasers which would be something new to GTA. The police system wouldnt be much different to previous GTAs, 1 star you have cops with tasers and batons, 2 stars they call in armed police with pistols, 3 stars co19 are called in with heckler & cochs, mp5s, shotguns and helicopters, 4 stars more co19s and cops in high speed chase cars, 5 stars mi5 or mi6, 6 stars the territorial army, or even better the SAS.

Its also worth noting that the UK has seen some massive robberies over the years (bigger than any in America), im sure most from this country will remember the Securitas depot robbery a few years ago, where the robbers got away with 53,116,760, to this day its the second largest robbery in history. Imagine if there was a mission based on that robbery, it would be epic.

Emphasis for agreement. This guy is absolutely correct. I would love to see GTA: London.
Ex-PS Fanboy
i'm gonna have to say yes, because the origional gta london is the only gta i have never actually seen
FuddMan
QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Sep 16 2008, 04:29 PM) [snapback]1465108[/snapback]
i'm gonna have to say yes, because the origional gta london is the only gta i have never actually seen

But that was set 39 years ago, and a 3D GTA London would be to the original as GTA IV is to GTA2 - they're completely different.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.