Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saints Row 2 or Mercenaries 2???
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Other Games > Other Games
Pages: 1, 2
aussie_b8ler
i am looking at buying a bunch of games to celebrate the end of exams later on this year, and i am now preordering the ones that i want. So far i have put money down for Little Big Planet and Resistance 2. but i am looking for a GTA style game also. so, while looking at the 2 possible games, Saints Row 2 and Mercenaries 2, i noticed that they are very similar.

i doubt that i would play both games and i was looking at buying the better of the two. however i have not played the previous games in both series so i can't judge them on that.

from what i have seen of these yet to be released games, i am favouring Mercenaries 2, but there is a little voice saying that Saints Row 2 is going to be like nothing we have seen before. the smart thing to do would be to wait until they are released and either rent them or watch a review. however i want the limited edition games and that requires a preorder.

so if any of you have an opinion of which one will offer a fuller gaming experience, or if you have a suggestion of another game, please comment.

thanks in advance.
Linkin Parkinson's
I'd go for Saint's Row... from my understanding it's going to be the sims gta but a fuck of a lot funner. You can create your own character with the new graphics, customize cars, and customize your own gang.... that basically sealed the deal for me but I'm hearing that the activities are going to be deliver harder than GTA 4 did.

GTA 4 was all about realism because you guys wanted realism..but you also loved NYC and there was no way the could make all those buildings enterable unless alot of shit could be customized, which it couldn't like barbershops, tattoo parlors, jewelry stores, etc.

Saint's Row is all about the best gaming experience, fuck the fact that walking down the street with shock pads killing people is unrealistc... who gives a fuck...

also if they make it to where your come up and your gang is similar to the empire mode in VC... then fuck it, Saint's Row 2 will be the best game ever.
I Made Your Mom In GMod
Personally I'd go for Mercenaries 2, but then I was such a gigantic fan of the first game.
Saints Row 2 will probably be more fun in the end, but then there's not much between them. Get both if you possibly can.
Oh, and if you have a 360 you can download the demo for the original Saints Row on XBL.
Sharpie Fetish
both not one there both epic and great games as well as from a epic franchise buy them. do it now!
DiO
Mercenaries for sure. Id also get Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, Silent Hill: Homecoming and Fallout 3 before I get SR2. They all come out before SR2 aswell. And with BioShock(PS3), Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (K, joking about that last one.) Coming out shortly after SR2 I probably wont bother with it.
aussie_b8ler
Out of what you just listed i will be getting Bioshock and Prince Of Persia for sure. I was looking forward to getting Fallout 3 but it is banned in Australia. Star Wars is a possibility. I am not a fan of racing games, so it's a no for Motor Storm. The only fighting game i like is Tekken so i will wait for 6. And i'll have to wait and see about Silent Hill and Mirror's Edge.

DiO
QUOTE(aussie_b8ler @ Aug 9 2008, 07:14 PM) [snapback]1458592[/snapback]
Out of what you just listed i will be getting Bioshock and Prince Of Persia for sure. I was looking forward to getting Fallout 3 but it is banned in Australia. Star Wars is a possibility. I am not a fan of racing games, so it's a no for Motor Storm. The only fighting game i like is Tekken so i will wait for 6. And i'll have to wait and see about Silent Hill and Mirror's Edge.

It doesn't matter if you are regularly a fan of racing games. The last Mortorstorm MADE people into racing game fans. Its the best recing game I have ever played. Have you not tried the first one?
aussie_b8ler
please don't condemn me for what i am about to say.

i got Resistance and Motor Storm free when i purchased my ps3. i loved Resistance, but i didn't really like Motor Storm. to begin with i hated the lengthy loading time when selecting a vehicle. i could have built my own car in the time it took to appear on screen. also no matter what vehicle i eventually selected, it always seemed that the other cars were faster than me. it was as if there was no consistancy in the speed of the vehicles. i beat a couple of races and then never touched it again. i actually traded it in a couple of weeks ago towards Battlefield: Bad Company.

but it did have great visuals and sound. but the best thing about Motor Storm is that i made a profit. i got it for free and traded it in for $17. muhahahaha. i am so evil.
Vegera
I'd wait until they both come out and rent them then dicide which to buy. I played both SR1 and Mercenaries 1 and I thought they were both fun, but not quite as deep as I thought they would be.

That suckes about Fallout 3! What about Final Fantasy 13?
Pieface
I thought motorstorm was awful too, the most annoying thing was the lack of variety in the game, it was the same boring texture with the same background.
Hitman540
hmm...
Mercs 2
Millitary Arsenal
Awsome Combat
Tanks
Next Gen Mercs
looks pretty friggin awsome to me

Both
Destructible Bulidings
(rumor with SR2)
Cheap Rip offs Of GTA
Pimped out cars

Saint's Row 2
looks the same as the first
(another rumor is planes flyable)
same location as first game
the hype of this game is mostly rumors

I report you decide...
hmm you know I totally did not just rip that line off of Fox News or anything...
Indy
tbh, fuck limited edition and get both standard, that's what i'd do.
aussie_b8ler
QUOTE(Vegera @ Aug 10 2008, 07:48 AM) [snapback]1458642[/snapback]
I'd wait until they both come out and rent them then dicide which to buy. I played both SR1 and Mercenaries 1 and I thought they were both fun, but not quite as deep as I thought they would be.

That suckes about Fallout 3! What about Final Fantasy 13?

it pisses me off so much that all the good games get banned here. angry.gif Fallout 3 looked so promising. But it gets even worse, i can't even import it like i did with GTA IV. They said that customs would intercept any copies of Fallout 3.

and about Final Fantasy 13, i havn't head anything as of yet. But anyway it is still going to be a while before we see that game hitting shelves. So anything can happen between now and then.

QUOTE(Pieface @ Aug 10 2008, 08:38 AM) [snapback]1458650[/snapback]
I thought motorstorm was awful too, the most annoying thing was the lack of variety in the game, it was the same boring texture with the same background.

Finally someone who shares my veiws. Perhaps the biggest let down of this game was the lack of splitscreen. Who has heard of a racing game without splitscreen?

the answer= no one

there is too much wrong with this game. there is no way it deserved the good ratings it got. However this is only my opinion, I am sure heaps of people really enjoy it.

Thanks for the responses. you all shed some light on the situation. i think i will go for Mercenaries 2. There is still a chance that i may end up getting both. I will just have to wait and see.
DiO
QUOTE(aussie_b8ler @ Aug 10 2008, 04:04 PM) [snapback]1458738[/snapback]
QUOTE(Pieface @ Aug 10 2008, 08:38 AM) [snapback]1458650[/snapback]

Finally someone who shares my veiws. Perhaps the biggest let down of this game was the lack of splitscreen. Who has heard of a racing game without splitscreen?

the answer= no one

there is too much wrong with this game. there is no way it deserved the good ratings it got. However this is only my opinion, I am sure heaps of people really enjoy it.

The new one does..... mellow.gif
aussie_b8ler
I know the new one has spltscreen, but as i originally stated i am not a fan of racing games in general. i'm sure the new Motor Storm will be a good game, but it is just not my idea of fun. Plus, i was not impressed with the original (as previously stated) so i will be giving Pacific Rift a miss.

Besides i already have a long list of games i will be purchasing this year. Resistance 2, Little Big Planet, Bioshock, Destroy All Humans: Path Of The Furon, Prince Of Persia and Mercanaries 2 are my "for sures", with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Saints Row as "maybes". I am also interested in Spore for PC.

Man, I am going to be poor this year.
Samurai_tbag
QUOTE(Sharpie Fetish @ Aug 9 2008, 10:24 PM) [snapback]1458568[/snapback]
both not one there both epic and great games as well as from a epic franchise buy them. do it now!

In Kontrol
For me personally, Mercenaries 2! I just loved the first one and it took me ages to put the controller down for the night! notworthy.gif
bOnEs
there's only 2 games i spot on the horizon that i am "FOR SURE" buying... there's a whole list of maybe's but, "spore" and "saints row 2" are the must buys for me...

sure, you talk about how SR2 will be nothing like GTAIV but, who is looking for a complete rip-off anyways? i want something different than GTAIV... and the biggest selling point for me with SR2 is the fact that i can create my own main character, pimp his ride, and create my own gang complete with their looks and the colors my gang represents... any game that can offer that level of customization is "good enough" in my books... i love customizing...

...and then there was spore... i don't think i really need to explain why i want this game... in about a month, i'll have my hands on the game i've been waiting 3 years for biggrin.gif... ohh, hell yes!!

i've never played mercenaries so, i got no clue what that game is about... and no, i don't care to know... if i am ever interested, i'll do the research myself...
Kamahl
QUOTE(aussie_b8ler @ Aug 10 2008, 03:04 PM) [snapback]1458738[/snapback]

the answer= no one

Burnout Paradise doesnt have split screen... and thats even worse cause the previous burnouts had it

Im sure i can find more games if i try...
Zen
The makers of SR have realised that it's going to be complete fail and isn't going to come anywhere near the par set by GTA so they've just gone with the "fuck it" attitude and decided to put a lot of rubbish in the game in hope that it's going to appeal to players who don't care about realism and such.

If anything, SR2 for multiplayer, because it was fun the first time, but Mercenaries would be my first choice out of the two any day providing it's in the same format as the first one.
bOnEs
ok, so i DID just do some research on mercenaries, and the upcoming mercenaries 2... wow, where the hell did i miss out on this one?! i don't ever remember seeing it for the PS2... but, since i've pretty much missed out on the first one (i don't play my PS2 anymore), i am definitely gonna buy M2...

a fully destructible, open-world environment, where you take jobs from different factions, and wage war across an epic landscape full of drivable vehicles and weapons, littered with side-quests and unlimited ways of completing missions? lol, sign me up!! i am now officially sold on it!! biggrin.gif... it sounds like GTA on steroids...

i'm still getting SR2 but, i think i found something to tide me over until then laugh.gif...
Vegera
If you thought GTA IV was a little too serious (like me) then get Saints Row 2.
§ynch
Mercs 2 : World in Flames
bOnEs
something is really starting to bother me about video games and this is a good place to rant about it since others have mentioned it already, albeit a different game but, this thread is about SR2 and M2...

mercenaries 2 offers co-op play i just read... however, it's over the internet... what the hell ever happened to split-screen co-op?!? don't they realize that most people have friends who stop by to play games too? why are they forced to buy the game too just so we can play together... i mean, i see the marketing value of selling an extra game for that purpose but, a lot of times, it's funner to be playing side-by-side with your friends, in the same room... not over the internet, where you have to communicate over a crappy headset...

i got a friend who doesn't buy a lot of games but, enjoys co-op games or games where there's two players... we like to get together to smoke (eh hem) and play games... but lately, there's only been a couple games, like mlb 08: the show, and hot shots golf that offers friendly competition... i mean come on... gears of war, resistance, and even that god awful halo series offers split-screen... is there some unwritten rule that states only crappy FPS'ers can offer co-op and nothing else? it's a little ridiculous...

the gaming industry is starting to alienate the notion of hanging out with friends... they want you sit at home alone and talk over the internet with them... it's starting to suck balls...
DiO
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Aug 13 2008, 12:23 PM) [snapback]1459259[/snapback]
. i mean come on... gears of war, resistance, and even that god awful halo series offers split-screen... is there some unwritten rule that states only crappy FPS'ers can offer co-op and nothing else? it's a little ridiculous...

What is wrong with resistance? Perhaps you just don't like FPS games overall?
(Gears of War was pretty good aswell.)
bOnEs
QUOTE(Albino @ Aug 13 2008, 12:39 PM) [snapback]1459267[/snapback]
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Aug 13 2008, 12:23 PM) [snapback]1459259[/snapback]
. i mean come on... gears of war, resistance, and even that god awful halo series offers split-screen... is there some unwritten rule that states only crappy FPS'ers can offer co-op and nothing else? it's a little ridiculous...

What is wrong with resistance? Perhaps you just don't like FPS games overall?
(Gears of War was pretty good aswell.)

the only FPS'ers i've liked is the call of duty games and the original console FPS, goldeneye007...

but, that's not the point... the point is FPS'ers have a lot of split-screen co-op games... why can't other games have those? why does it have to be FPS'ers?!? not everyone enjoy those kinds of games...

i'm just saying that mercenaries 2 would be the ultimate split-screen co-op game to play with friends... it's just too bad that numerous games like this refuse to include that option... they're alienating us from playing games with friends... not everyone has the internet... a couple of my friends don't...
aussie_b8ler
i totally agree with you. splitscreen makes games fun, that was one of the biggest problems with Motorstorm.

however, i understand that not all games can implement splitscreen. having splitscreen in a game is like running two versions of the game at once. each player can interact with the environment, two different perspectives need to be generated by the game, and most importantly the framerate needs to stay consistant irrespective of what both players are doing in the game world.

this is why modern games are turning away from spltscreen and focusing more on online. it is simply because it offers a highly quaility of gaming.

i also heard that Resistance 2 does not have splitscreen, if so i will be more than a little pissed off come November.

p.s. i just bought Overlord: Raising Hell for my ps3. it is a very unique game, i don't know if i like it or not yet.
angeal18
naruto storm is the shit and i dont know why pepole on this fourum dont talk about it more. ps: if you got something bad to say about this game, your probably a douchbag who wants broken bonds.
DiO
QUOTE(angeal 18 @ Aug 16 2008, 02:42 PM) [snapback]1459705[/snapback]
naruto storm is the shit and i dont know why pepole on this fourum dont talk about it more. ps: if you got something bad to say about this game, your probably a douchbag who wants broken bonds.

Naruto?
shootthebandit
QUOTE(aussie_b8ler @ Aug 9 2008, 03:30 AM) [snapback]1458488[/snapback]
i am looking at buying a bunch of games to celebrate the end of exams later on this year, and i am now preordering the ones that i want. So far i have put money down for Little Big Planet and Resistance 2. but i am looking for a GTA style game also. so, while looking at the 2 possible games, Saints Row 2 and Mercenaries 2, i noticed that they are very similar.

wise choice! im looking forward to that, alot. you'll definatley spend all of your free-time playing this (if your into creation that is). ive already got a few ideas planned.

fuck any other game, just go for LBP. its gonna own!!!!
Sharpie Fetish
QUOTE(angeal 18 @ Aug 16 2008, 07:42 PM) [snapback]1459705[/snapback]

The game that you stand in one place, Mash the attack button and unlock all 1000GS?

Fail
nirvanafrik
get SR2 !
ManBeast
I wasn't too keen on Saints Row. I'll get the sequel eventually but I've been waiting for Mercenaries 2 for a long time so that is the priority.

aussie_b8ler
i preordered Mercenaries 2 yesterday. thumbup.gif

the way i look at it is that i still have a while before Saints Row 2 comes out, so i will have enough time to get that if i feel Mercenaries 2 does not deliver what i was looking for.

I can't wait to get it. drool.gif
Sharpie Fetish
QUOTE(aussie_b8ler @ Aug 17 2008, 10:29 PM) [snapback]1459859[/snapback]
i preordered Mercenaries 2 yesterday. thumbup.gif

the way i look at it is that i still have a while before Saints Row 2 comes out, so i will have enough time to get that if i feel Mercenaries 2 does not deliver what i was looking for.

I can't wait to get it. drool.gif

Saints row 2 should be out this month if not out now
Linkin Parkinson's
QUOTE(Hitman540 @ Aug 10 2008, 11:55 AM) [snapback]1458664[/snapback]
hmm...
Mercs 2
Millitary Arsenal
Awsome Combat
Tanks
Next Gen Mercs
looks pretty friggin awsome to me

Both
Destructible Bulidings
(rumor with SR2)
Cheap Rip offs Of GTA
Pimped out cars

Saint's Row 2
looks the same as the first
(another rumor is planes flyable)
same location as first game
the hype of this game is mostly rumors

I report you decide...
hmm you know I totally did not just rip that line off of Fox News or anything...

I know Fox news wouldn't say some shit like that. Out of all the retarded shit they say (that line wasn't retarded though it would just be unprofessional to say that)

Everything I've heard about Saint's Row is confirmed (after I heard about the gang customization, it was a fucking wrap... got the money saved up for it already)

What rumors are you talking about? Is Randy Orton gonna be in there or something?

RELEASE DATES FOR SR2:
North America: October 14, 2008
Australia: October 16, 2008
Europe: October 17, 2008

The next 3 games I get for the 360 will probably be:
Saint's Row 2
Smackdown! vs. Raw 2009
Sims or Madden or some shit
DiO
QUOTE(Linkin Parkinson @ Aug 21 2008, 05:03 PM) [snapback]1460551[/snapback]
Smackdown! vs. Raw 2009

The TNA game is out soon as well. Im waiting to see which one is better before getting one. SvR probably will be because they have made so many and build off each one they make. And I've always liked the THQ wrestling games better than the Midway ones. THQ is also making a UFC game. I probably will wait for that to come out before I get any of them so see which gets the best reviews/rent them.
Sharpie Fetish
QUOTE(Albiskinth4yn3ia @ Aug 22 2008, 08:55 PM) [snapback]1460694[/snapback]
QUOTE(Linkin Parkinson @ Aug 21 2008, 05:03 PM) [snapback]1460551[/snapback]
Smackdown! vs. Raw 2009

The TNA game is out soon as well. Im waiting to see which one is better before getting one. SvR probably will be because they have made so many and build off each one they make. And I've always liked the THQ wrestling games better than the Midway ones. THQ is also making a UFC game. I probably will wait for that to come out before I get any of them so see which gets the best reviews/rent them.

Get TNA From what ive heard SVR2009 is just 2008 with a few more wrestlers and better graphics

TNA: Impact is a whole new game and the wrestlers themselves sat down and played a whole lot of wrestling games and they said they played most if not all wrestling games ever made Discussed what was good and what wasnt and then put the ideas into the game i no which one id buy
§ynch
[youtube]NcJyCdbC08c[/youtube]

Making of:
[youtube]kCvIw7DMHXc[/youtube]

http://www.pandemicstudios.com/mercenaries/downloads.php
TwoFacedTanner
Im gonna play both.
Thought what I've seen of both the animations look very awkward.

And I really hate that Mercs 2 commercial. Oh my god. It embarrasses me. The song is so dumb.
Sharpie Fetish
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Aug 30 2008, 07:18 PM) [snapback]1461983[/snapback]
Im gonna play both.
Thought what I've seen of both the animations look very awkward.

And I really hate that Mercs 2 commercial. Oh my god. It embarrasses me. The song is so dumb.

Oh no you didnt? I like it
Oh no, Oh no, Oh no
Yo Yo Yo
Oh no you didn't
Sucker tried to play me
But you never paid me, Neva
Oh no you didn't
Payback is a' coming
You will be runnin', foreva
Oh no you didn't
Until i get me vengeance
I will never end this mayhem
Oh no you didn't
I'm a mercenary
You ain't got a prayer, you owe MEEEEEE

Its a good ad with or without
angeal18
QUOTE(Sharpie Fetish @ Aug 17 2008, 10:48 AM) [snapback]1459795[/snapback]

The game that you stand in one place, Mash the attack button and unlock all 1000GS?

Fail

im gonna pretend you didn't say that

oh no you didn't thats the shit
Pieface
QUOTE(angeal 18 @ Aug 31 2008, 02:28 AM) [snapback]1462051[/snapback]
QUOTE(Sharpie Fetish @ Aug 17 2008, 10:48 AM) [snapback]1459795[/snapback]

Fail

im gonna pretend you didn't say that

oh no you didn't thats the shit

I rented that game, got all 1000gs by mashing the button in one place, then sent it straight back.

Epic Fail.
Indy
I think that was the avatar game, not naruto.
TheAnalogKid2112
I'm leaning towards Saints Row. I've never played either one, but Saint's Row looks better to me. Maybe I'll rent both.
For those who care, Saint's Row has trophy support for ps3. I couldn't care less but it's one extra perk.
§ynch
QUOTE(TheAnalogKid2112 @ Aug 31 2008, 05:47 PM) [snapback]1462228[/snapback]
I'm leaning towards Saints Row. I've never played either one, but Saint's Row looks better to me. Maybe I'll rent both.
For those who care, Saint's Row has trophy support for ps3. I couldn't care less but it's one extra perk.

Can you jack military and attack helicopters in mid-air in Saints Row?
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE(§ynch @ Aug 31 2008, 06:59 PM) [snapback]1462244[/snapback]

Who the hell knows. But my friend said it's a let down..
I can't make my own decisions haha. He likes it and dislikes it.
I'll hit up Youtube.
§ynch
QUOTE(TheAnalogKid2112 @ Aug 31 2008, 07:23 PM) [snapback]1462249[/snapback]

I'll hit up Youtube.

Mercs is EPIC for that reason.
Just Cause could not match it.

If you haven't played it, I highly recommend
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction.

The vehicle control in Mercs whether land or air was perfect.
I hope the new one retains that essential detail.
That is a big difference between Mercs and other games.
I am totally looking forward to Mercenaries 2: World in Flames.
Welcome to Venezuela
[youtube]bR3XgsDjM6E[/youtube]
[youtube]w5YOfkl5gOc&[/youtube]

Bring 'em back alive.......

TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE(§ynch @ Aug 31 2008, 10:24 PM) [snapback]1462268[/snapback]
QUOTE(TheAnalogKid2112 @ Aug 31 2008, 07:23 PM) [snapback]1462249[/snapback]

I'll hit up Youtube.

Mercs is EPIC for that reason.
Just Cause could not match it.

If you haven't played it, I highly recommend
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction.

The vehicle control in Mercs whether land or air was perfect.
I hope the new one retains that essential detail.
That is a big difference between Mercs and other games.
I am totally looking forward to Mercenaries 2: World in Flames.
Welcome to Venezuela
[youtube]bR3XgsDjM6E[/youtube]
[youtube]w5YOfkl5gOc&[/youtube]

Bring 'em back alive.......

Looks pretty awesome..
Hitman540
Not only does it look awsome, IT IS awsome.
either rent it or buy it.. you shouldn't be disapointed.

i did find a few technical problems... but its still awsome to me, I do hope Saints Row 2 can compete with that...

now excuse me, gotta get back to fuelair-bombing everything in site..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.