Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTF at this pathetic justice system
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
Austin
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7514529.stm

A man who killed his wife's dog and threatened to kill her has been sentenced to six months in jail.

William David Streeter, 29, of Cloyfin Park, Coleraine, was convicted of seven counts of animal cruelty and one of making threats to kill.

The judge said it was one of the worst cases he had seen involving animals.

Streeter hanged golden retriever Mac by his collar, kicked him with steel toe-capped boots and hit him with a boulder in October 2006.

North Antrim Magistrates' Court heard that he threatened to kill his wife two days after the dog's death.

The one-year-old pedigree dog died after Streeter put a choke chain around its neck and hanged it from a rafter in his garage.

The dog suffered severe bruising and swelling to his back and head as well as two broken ribs. There was also evidence of bleeding on his brain and lungs.

One day earlier, he had left the dog hanging in the garage and taunted his wife who untied her much-loved pet.

Speaking outside court, Streeter's former wife Alison McMonagle said she believed the sentence should have been longer.

"He was just like Jack Nicholson (in The Shining) - it was as if he was inhuman. He was just pure evil.

"I was shocked, I thought the sentence should maybe be a wee bit longer. Mac's laid to rest today. It was the one thing I wanted to do and I did it," she said.

A defence lawyer said Streeter "has accepted that his behaviour on the days in question went far beyond the pale, he has made no excuse for his behaviour.

"He simply lost it. It is behaviour that he sincerely and genuinely regrets."

Magistrate Richard Wilson said he had little alternative but to impose a custodial sentence.

He said he wanted to convey the court's disapproval and detestation of what happened over a period of days in imposing an immediate prison term.

Streeter was released on bail pending a High Court appeal.

As part of his sentence, he was banned from having an animal for 10 years.

I just can't get my head around the sentences being handed out of this kind of thing. This piece of shit tortures this poor dog to death and leaves it hanging in the garage and he's given just 6 months in jail and banned for keeping animals for 10 years? This man is clearly evil and should be locked up for life if there was any real justice. Pathetic 6 month sentence aside, was the ban for 10 years a pisstake? Torturing an animal to death isn't enough for a lifetime ban of keeping them?

Why are the sentences so laughable.. what's the big difference between doing what he did to a human and doing it to a dog?

Just makes me want to leave this country but I doubt the sentences are much better elsewhere.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Austin @ Jul 18 2008, 03:55 PM) [snapback]1455336[/snapback]
Why are the sentences so laughable.. what's the big difference between doing what he did to a human and doing it to a dog?

He's a dog, not a person. Dogs have no rights. People eat them in Asia. There's probably some psychiatric evaluation involved with the sentencing, but I agree he should have gotten more time.
XxRoccoxX
People go hunting animals and hang their heads on walls and people don' t seem to care... dry.gif
Skinny 
ffs, 6 months? That's horrible, he clearly has some psychotic problems. Did they at least give him a restraining order from his wife, and a psychiatric analysis?
Severus Snape
Consider it the Michael Vick effect. Vick runs a dogfighting ring with money he made in the NFL, and was convicted of some pretty terrible things. He tortured dogs, and even killed them by electrocution and slamming them to the ground should they not fight well enough, and all he got was 22 months. Hell - he will probably attempt a comeback when his jail time ends in 2009.

Makes me sick. People abusing defenseless animals for no reason other than that they can. They should all be put to death imhaho.
Austin
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Jul 18 2008, 09:00 PM) [snapback]1455338[/snapback]
QUOTE(Austin @ Jul 18 2008, 03:55 PM) [snapback]1455336[/snapback]

He's a dog, not a person. Dogs have no rights. People eat them in Asia. There's probably some psychiatric evaluation involved with the sentencing, but I agree he should have gotten more time.

He didn't just kill the dog though.. he tortured it and killed it.. kicking it in the head and hanging it up in the garage. A person capable of that kind fo thing shouldn't get a measly 6 months in jail.

Sentences for animal cruelty are just far too lenient and and they need completely overhauling.. got to send out the message that you can't get off lightly with doing such horrific things to animals which feel pain and suffering much the same way as humans do.

QUOTE(Ashley Graham)
Makes me sick. People abusing defenseless animals for no reason other than that they can. They should all be put to death imhaho.

idd.. I'd love to meet that sick fuck in a dark alley.
aussie_b8ler
this shit really pisses me off.

how pathetic must this man be, if he feels powerful for torturing and eventually killing an innocent animal.

i get depressed when i hear about this kind of stuff. i have had animals all my life and i could never imagine harming them in any way.

IMO there is no punishment too harsh for scum like this.
Jesseeast
He should be hung by a collar and kicked with steel-toed boots and see what it fucking feels like the son of a bitch. They need to do something about the sentences because they need to be up in fucking YEARS!
DiO
Who knows what this fuck-up is capable of. Serial Killers start with animals. I know I did. sneaky2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.