Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MY DARK KNIGHT REVIEW.
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Entertainment
Gtarockstar
I work at a theater that showed a screening for employees tonight. Saw it at 10pm WEDS.
Heres my short review...I will answer questions.

From beginning to end, its non-stop thrills, and chills.
The number one talked about thing in this movie is Heath Ledgers performance.
I heard how brilliant it is, and creepy, but never expected it to be THAT good. He gave me chills, which I have never gotten from any other character in a movie before. From the way he tells his many stories of how he got the scars on his mouth, to his creepy movements. I really don't want to give too much away about this movie, so I'll keep this short and as little info(unless asked) about this movie. The story is greatly writen, and is in the same league as OSCAR MOVIE of the YEAR movies. Its deep, its moving, its twisted, and every character in this movie is sold by the actors. These character feel so real, and are placed in a real world over an exaggerated comic book world seen in most comic book adaptions. The action sceans this time around(compared to BATMAN BEGINS) are alot better, no shaky, up-close camaras. If I have 1 negative thing to say about this movie is that I wish I can see it again...RIGHT AWAY! HAHA. Amazing movie. 10/10
Zen
I swear people only like this film because Ledger's dead.
Gtarockstar
QUOTE(Zen @ Jul 17 2008, 09:53 AM) [snapback]1455097[/snapback]

I liked it cause I love batman. Batman Begins is my fav. movie, next to High Fidelity. Well, now its The Dark Knight.

Yes...hes dead, which is sad...but his performance WAS amazing...ALIVE or DEAD, it would of been the same.
Skinny 
QUOTE(Zen @ Jul 17 2008, 07:53 PM) [snapback]1455097[/snapback]

He's a good actor, what does his death has to do with it?

Batman, for the win.
PabloHoneyOle
I really enjoyed this movie, except [spoiler]when I walked out of the theater and realized the Joker died of a drug overdose IRL. [/spoiler]
deejay
i didnt like the guy that played 2face, he was to nice to be menacing
Styl
I watched Batman Forever and Batman & Robin the other night. Anything would be better than those 2 jokes of a movie. I'm really hype to see this one, I'd be there tonight if I didn't have to work all weekend.
bOnEs
seeing it tonight...

ledger or not, the joker is finally being portrayed in the correct light... as a psychotic killer who thinks he is funny, when in reality, he comes off as a creepy and deranged lunatic... i cannot wait to see this in about 3 hours...

jack's joker was too comical... i really didn't like it at all... ledger's joker seems to be giving people the creeps and, that's exactly the way joker should come off to other people... creepy...

i can't wait to see all the characters... and to see the evolution of the 2nd best batman villian behind the joker... two-face...
Hardcore Ottoman
I think they did 2face pretty well. Eckhart seems fine for the role. I was sold by the Joker. He was perfect for the film. Not one bit of the movie even reminded me that he was "the guy who OD'd" and that says a lot. The movie was finished before he died and so his acting is not a result of his tragedy. Fuck, stop thinking this movie is great just because he died. The movie was very important in this day and age. All it takes for civilized peoples to break out in anarchy are a few missed meals and a breakdown in the law.
Skinny 
Can't wait to see this, now.
ENVi3
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Jul 18 2008, 08:10 AM) [snapback]1455273[/snapback]
I really enjoyed this movie, except [spoiler]when I walked out of the theater and realized the Joker died of a drug overdose IRL. [/spoiler]
why is this in spoiler tags?
but yeah ... [spoiler]sucks to know that either the Joker wont return, but if he does it would be another actor =/[/spoiler]
TwoFacedTanner
I thought it was amazing.
I really loved how they portrayed Two-Face.
And I loved how dark the whole film was.
Darth Sexy
I thought it was quite good, but it's been overhyped. I'd give an 8/10. Ledger, despite being an hero, was very good.
bOnEs
"wanna see a magic trick?"

that line was the coolest scene in the movie... it really set up the whole joker character... seriously, this movie was better than i had imagined... and ledger played the joker exactly how i thought it should of been played... deranged and psychotic... and aaron eckart's harvey dent was well played too... overall, this one of the best films i've seen... the plot was a bit fast but, when you have that much going on, it's bound to happen... i am going to see it again today in IMAX with a few different friends... now that i know the plot, i can try to follow the story a little closer...

chances are it won't win a any awards since most of those seem to go to movies that come out just before, or around the time of the awards shows... it's funny how they do that... i thought johnny depp should of won an oscar finally for his role as jack sparrow but, all the nominees were from films that had just been out, and for films that were in the theaters at the time... they never seem to give an award to films from the early part of the year, to the summertime... it's a damn shame too... there's a few awards to win here in this film...

EDIT: lots of typos on this glorious hung over morning tongue.gif...
Darth Sexy
Ledger> Jonny Depp.
PabloHoneyOle
I'm going to make this pencil disappear...

It was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Heath Ledger MADE this movie. Best Joker/Villian portrayal I have EVER seen. It is terribly heartbreaking that he is not alive to hear people go crazy for his amazing performance. It is certainly the performance of his lifetime.

Two-face was good, but again, I feel like the Joker stole the film.

I doubt the Joker will ever be portrayed in this Batman series of films; and I doubt he will ever be portrayed as brilliantly as Heath Ledger did.

Maggie Gyllenhaal did a great job replacing that Scientologist puppet skank, Katie Holmes.
shootthebandit
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Jul 21 2008, 02:31 PM) [snapback]1455722[/snapback]
It was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Heath Ledger MADE this movie. Best Joker/Villian portrayal I have EVER seen. It is terribly heartbreaking that he is not alive to hear people go crazy for his amazing performance. It is certainly the performance of his lifetime.

is he better than jack nicholson(sp?). i thought he brilliant as the joker. Danny Divito owned as the penguin as well. Michelle Pfieffer was scary yet incredibly sexy. i also think because tim burton directed it, Gothom was very dark and sinister looking

OH BTW im talking about the older film. i dont know when it was released but must be '90s
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Jul 21 2008, 11:24 AM) [snapback]1455733[/snapback]
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Jul 21 2008, 02:31 PM) [snapback]1455722[/snapback]

is he better than jack nicholson(sp?). i thought he brilliant as the joker. Danny Divito owned as the penguin as well. Michelle Pfieffer was scary yet incredibly sexy. i also think because tim burton directed it, Gothom was very dark and sinister looking

OH BTW im talking about the older film. i dont know when it was released but must be '90s

While I love the original Batman movie with Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger made the Joker so sinister, so evil, so psychotic, that Jack Nicholson's Joker looks like a circus clown. There is nothing "funny" about him, he is a modern day terrorist who doesn't care for himself or anyone else. He's not worried about money, just making the world a terrible place. The music and alarms used to create suspense during the Joker's scenes really add to the whole ambience and experience, making it more terrifying and suspenseful.
TwoFacedTanner
Did anyone notice that ol' Ken Rosenberg (Bill Fitchner) was the Bank Manager at the beginning? The one who got the smoke grenade put in his mouth?
Hardcore Ottoman
Yeah. Big whoop. If there's one thing I dislike about these reviews it is the claim that the Joker owned the movie. The Joker wasn't the only character in that movie that was well played.
bOnEs
well, everyone wanted to see the joker... that's why there's a lot of talk about him... even if he didn't die, there would still be this amount of talk about the joker... he played the character to perfection, and almost everyone seems to agree... you seriously can't even tell that's heath ledger playing the joker... that's why is such an amazing acting job... usually you can clearly see and hear an actor underneath the character... with ledger's joker, you CANNOT even tell it's ledger... he became the joker... with the looks and the voice... it's brilliant...
deejay
what made the movie good wasnt the Joker, it that you can watch the movie how you want to, take away the mask and the make up and u'll see that this is a well told crime story, thought the Joker was an incredible villain without the atmosphere and a world so believable, a lot of reviews have said this but its like Chicago in the 20's when gangster run the streets.

But seriously who should play the Joker if the role is reprized, my pike is either
Josh Hartnet or Jake Gyllenhaal
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(deejay @ Jul 21 2008, 04:01 PM) [snapback]1455767[/snapback]
But seriously who should play the Joker if the role is reprized, my pike is either
Josh Hartnet or Jake Gyllenhaal

Like I said earlier: I doubt the Joker will ever be portrayed in this series of Batman films; and I doubt he will ever be portrayed as brilliantly as Heath Ledger did.
deejay
he has to, if the series is going to continue with this storyline the Joker has to die, a jail cell cant hold him, who knows he probably did something for the next movie already just to stay in character, i wouldn't be surprised, but i think both those 2 actors were of his caliber and age, we'll see
bOnEs
well, really what made the movie so good is chis nolan's vision of gotham city... if you think about, the batman series is not always about batman... it's about the political figures and criminals in the city... the city is the story, and this version of gotham city is dark and gritty... just the kind of city you need to put together a batman movie like this...

and yes, i think the joker story MUST continue... they're just gonna have to find a replacement like they did with katie holmes character... because, [spoiler]there is more to be done with the joker, and the way it ended surely leaves it open for more (same with two-face)[/spoiler]... batman hardly ever kills the villians, it's against his beliefs... and that goes way back to "batman begins" when he refused to kill a criminal to complete his ninja training... so, the joker is suppose to be held in jail, or most likely, arkham asylum...

and the actor you need to fill those big shoes has got to be someone who is a nut in real life... i don't think anyone will play it as well as ledger but, a crazy guy like jim carey would fit the role... he can play a crazy as seen in his "number 23" role...

EDIT: lol, jim carey almost looks like the joker in real life tongue.gif...
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(deejay @ Jul 21 2008, 04:18 PM) [snapback]1455769[/snapback]
he has to, if the series is going to continue with this storyline the Joker has to die, a jail cell cant hold him, who knows he probably did something for the next movie already just to stay in character, i wouldn't be surprised, but i think both those 2 actors were of his caliber and age, we'll see

It will be interesting. I haven't read about anything about Heath Ledger signing a two movie contract, or even the greenlight on a third film in the series.

It will be interesting to see how they handle his absence should they proceed with the series as you say.
deejay
jim carey is too old, maybe n unknown actor, that would be perfect
bOnEs
well, i was just trowing a name out there... carey is too old but, they'll need an actor with that kind of looney-ness...

i was just looking up a list of batman villians and i could see a few of them making an appearance at one point or another in this movie series, if it goes beyond just 3 movies... the way this series is shaping up, there could be another 4-5 movies... and with new villians like the riddler, bane, poison ivy, catwoman, penguin, and even harley quinn as the joker's partner in crime...

i just hope that two-face and scarecrow are the nemesis of batman in the next movie... they set both perfectly for the next movie... is two-face still alive? and has the scarecrow had enough of the batman foiling his small-time plans? is he ready to step up and bring fear back to gotham? with two-face at his side, it would form a sinister duo... and give em both a chance to seek revenge on the dark knight, who had destroyed their previous plans...
KING CARLOZ
man i cant wait 2 c that movie
shootthebandit
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Jul 22 2008, 04:51 PM) [snapback]1455861[/snapback]
well, i was just trowing a name out there... carey is too old but, they'll need an actor with that kind of looney-ness...

jim carey is more looney in a comical (not so comical to me,but maybe to others) way. not looney in a sinister way.

QUOTE(bOnEs @ Jul 22 2008, 04:51 PM) [snapback]1455861[/snapback]
i was just looking up a list of batman villians and i could see a few of them making an appearance at one point or another in this movie series, if it goes beyond just 3 movies... the way this series is shaping up, there could be another 4-5 movies... and with new villians like the riddler, bane, poison ivy, catwoman, penguin, and even harley quinn as the joker's partner in crime...

you got to have a good catwoman. The actress has to be incredibly hot yet incredibly sinister (and lots of leather or PVC). i also think that Danny de vitto played the penguin perfectly. he just looks the part with his round shape and he even walked with a waddle.

jim carey may actually be better as the riddler IMO.

id actually quite like to see 'dark knight'.
NiGHT_TRAiN
i'm none too eager to see this movie but will prolly get drug into it. Meh.
deejay
i dont want the Riddler to be too much like the Joker, thats what u guys are describing. if they do the Riddler im sure they will be more original than putting someone to play the Joker in a green suit and a ? mark.
Skinny 
I loved how the Joker is finally being portrayed as the psychotic maniac, with dirty make up he's meant to be.

With, Two-Face, we saw his transition from Harvey Dent, Distict Attorney, onto Two-face, the deranged mob boss, obsessed with the outcomes of chance, and inocent death, in a far better light than before. The scene where [spoiler]he is tied to the gas drums, and talking to Rachael on the radio was great, and I loved the way he screamed as his face lit up upon sparks from the explosion meeting his gasoline covered left.[/spoiler] I think this was much better than the old, Sal Maroni pouring acid on his face, from Batman forever and the comic books.

This has to be one of my favourite scenes from a movie:
[spoiler]Dent: what was that name you had for me, when I was in Internal affairs?
Gordon: ...
Dent: SAY IT.
Gordon: ...Harvey Two-Face
[/spoiler]
Props to the writer, director and make up artists, for The Jokers more sinester make up, and the far more dirty left side of Two-Face that managed to have me shit my pants.

Then, there is ledger. Simply brilliant performance, as previously said, Nicholson's Joker was too funny, the Joker needs to be a creepy lulz-terrorist, hell bent on exposing that one really bad day, can turn the greatest of men, into insane, deranged villans such as himself.
Styl
All I have to say about this movie is-

"I'm not the one wearing hockey pants"

Hardcore Ottoman
I will be the first to say that I believe the Joker didn't live up to his name, the more I think about it. Neither renditions were perfect, but Ledger's try was much closer. Joker needs Nicholson melded with Ledger.
aussie_b8ler
I saw this movie last thursday. To be honest i am not sure if the movie was good or not. This is because i have no idea what the storyline is. Everytime the Joker was on screen i was equally freaked out and enthralled that i didn't hear a word he or anyone else said.

I am devistated that Heath is no longer with us. He was such a good actor and person. My favourite movie, "Two Hands", has Health as the lead role and it is simply a legendary performance. I would not expect many people to know of this film. It is an aussie film and even 1/2 my mates haven't heard of it. If you can get your hands on it you should defo give it a watch.

btw Australia FTW

Hardcore Ottoman
I could rent it... I'll czech it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.