Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GTA: Chinatown Wars Announced For Nintendo DS
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Important Information > Site News
Pages: 1, 2
FuddMan
Just a few moments ago, Nintendo announced in its media briefing at E3 that a new Grand Theft Auto game will be coming out in Winter of this year for the DS. Entitled GTA: Chinatown Wars, it's set in a modern-day Liberty City, and features "a custom engine (so no RAGE or Euphoria...) and new characters."

Unfortunately, that's all we were told. We didn't even get a screenshot. Hopefully it'll be an improvement over GTA Advance though, eh?

Update: Kotaku has posted the full press release from Rockstar:

Rockstar Games Announces Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars for the Nintendo DS™

The newest entry in the Grand Theft Auto series for Nintendo's handheld system this winter

NEW YORK—(BUSINESS WIRE)—Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is proud to announce Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. Developed by Rockstar Leeds in conjunction with series creators Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be available on the Nintendo DS™ in North America and Europe this winter.

"This is a game that will deliver a rich, fast-paced and intense 'Grand Theft Auto' experience that will be truly unique to Nintendo's handheld platform," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "Rockstar Leeds, along with the team at Rockstar North, has built upon a decade of progressive design on Grand Theft Auto, and has created something fundamentally fresh and immersive."

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is an entirely original entry into the critically acclaimed Grand Theft Auto series, and brings a new level of interactivity to its sprawling open environments. With the use of the DS touch screen, players will navigate their way through the streets as they uncover the truth behind an epic tale of crime and corruption within the Triad crime syndicate, delivering the unprecedented amount of depth that has become a true trademark of the franchise.

For more information about Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, visit: http://www.rockstargames.com/chinatownwars
neko_ceko
I don't like this, I don't like this at all. GTA IV just came out, and new GTA pops up. I didn't even played GTA IV yet.
I hope it sucks... (like GTA Advance)
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(neko_ceko @ Jul 15 2008, 02:25 PM) [snapback]1454821[/snapback]
I don't like this, I don't like this at all. GTA IV just came out, and new GTA pops up. I didn't even played GTA IV yet.

I don't like your bitter attitude. Go on eBay and buy yourself a damn used xBox or PS3 and play the damn game.

GTA4 has been out for almost three months. That's a fiscal quarter for Rockstar and Take Two, it's great that they are putting out another GTA release, even if it is for the DS. Every 11 year old in the world is going to get their hands on this, I wonder what the level of violence on the DS will be.
Pyrocy
rolleyes.gif @ neko

This came out of nowhere and it's made by the same d00dz who made the Stories series so it should be halfway decent. Plus, I bet you could use the stylus to mark your location on the map on the top screen.

Never expected a DS GTA though. How about some Wii GTA up in this 'mah? You can use the Wiimote as a knife to stab people.
neko_ceko
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Jul 15 2008, 08:30 PM) [snapback]1454822[/snapback]
QUOTE(neko_ceko @ Jul 15 2008, 02:25 PM) [snapback]1454821[/snapback]

I don't like your bitter attitude. Go on eBay and buy yourself a damn used xBox or PS3 and play the damn game.

Oh yeah thanks for the suggestions I will do it.
Wait what? There are no deliverers in bosnia
Skinny 
QUOTE(PyroHazard @ Jul 16 2008, 04:32 AM) [snapback]1454823[/snapback]
Never expected a DS GTA though. How about some Wii GTA up in this 'mah? You can use the Wiimote as a knife to stab people.

lol, would be epic.

This probably won't suck too much.Too bad I don't have a DS. sad.gif
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(neko_ceko @ Jul 15 2008, 02:35 PM) [snapback]1454825[/snapback]
Oh yeah thanks for the suggestions I will do it.
Wait what? There are no deliverers in bosnia

There's got to be someone out there with a trusty camel that can deliver it to you.

Or you could try:
http://www.ups.com/content/corp/worldwide/europe/bosnia.html

Just have the sender use UPS and prepare to pay a hefty shipping fee. Otherwise, stop complaining about not having a videogame and start worrying about living in such a terrible place.

If you can arrange to get to America; I have an extra room you can stay in and I will let you use my xBox to play GTA4.
shootthebandit
QUOTE(PyroHazard @ Jul 15 2008, 07:32 PM) [snapback]1454823[/snapback]
rolleyes.gif @ neko

This came out of nowhere and it's made by the same d00dz who made the Stories series so it should be halfway decent. Plus, I bet you could use the stylus to mark your location on the map on the top screen.

im not sure they're appealling to the right market with the DS. people with DS's can play sudoku without getting bored and actually see mental arithmetic as a game.

hopefully its a chinese guy coz its never been done before in GTA. i dont like the idea of LC again. thats the fourth time now but im sure R* will work thier magic and i hope itll come on PSP coz itll definately sell more on PSP. could be intersting controls on DS.

i just dont think GTA is for the majority of the nintndo market but i could be wrong.
Sharpie Fetish
Im optimistic about this even if it is on the DS wont be buying though dont have one
neko_ceko
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Jul 15 2008, 09:14 PM) [snapback]1454840[/snapback]
rolleyes.gif @ neko

im not sure they're appealling to the right market with the DS. people with DS's can play sudoku without getting bored and actually see mental arithmetic as a game.

hopefully its a chinese guy coz its never been done before in GTA. i dont like the idea of LC again. thats the fourth time now but im sure R* will work thier magic and i hope itll come on PSP coz itll definately sell more on PSP. could be intersting controls on DS.

i just dont think GTA is for the majority of the nintndo market but i could be wrong.

its 6th time actually lol. GTA (1), GTA III, GTA Advance, GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA IV, and now GTA Chinatown Wars. And I hope that it comes out for PSP, because DS is gay. And I got PSP.
FuddMan
QUOTE(neko_ceko @ Jul 15 2008, 08:25 PM) [snapback]1454845[/snapback]
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Jul 15 2008, 09:14 PM) [snapback]1454840[/snapback]
rolleyes.gif @ neko

its 6th time actually lol. GTA (1), GTA III, GTA Advance, GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA IV, and now GTA Chinatown Wars. And I hope that it comes out for PSP, because DS is gay. And I got PSP.

I'm sure there will be a new PSP-based GTA soon. Sony's briefing at E3 hasn't finished yet so they may still unveil it.
shootthebandit
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Jul 15 2008, 07:53 PM) [snapback]1454833[/snapback]
If you can arrange to get to America; I have an extra room you can stay in and I will let you use my xBox to play GTA4.

GTA:V similar story to IV. Niko neko travels to liberty vice city to ecsape bosnia (this is not a dig at bosnia) and find enough wealth to buy a console. he meets his cousin Stoic who promises him a spare bedroom and an XBox. the both get involved in criminal underworld and neko finds out that the glamorous lifestyle of VC is not what they say it is.

lol had to be sayed.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Jul 15 2008, 03:37 PM) [snapback]1454851[/snapback]

GTA:V similar story to IV. Niko neko travels to liberty vice city to ecsape bosnia (this is not a dig at bosnia) and find enough wealth to buy a console. he meets his cousin Stoic who promises him a spare bedroom and an XBox. the both get involved in criminal underworld and neko finds out that the glamorous lifestyle of VC is not what they say it is.

lol had to be sayed.

It was a funny premise, but the execution was a fail.
Dedeleko
instead of focusing on that stupid DS, focus on the damn PC version for gta4
neko_ceko
QUOTE(Dedeleko @ Jul 15 2008, 10:35 PM) [snapback]1454856[/snapback]

+1

and lol @ shotthebandit
Pyrocy
QUOTE(Dedeleko @ Jul 15 2008, 08:35 PM) [snapback]1454856[/snapback]

Except Leeds (the makers of GTA:CT) isn't the one who developed GTA4.

You should be bitching to Rockstar North.
DonJuan
Why would they make GTA on the DS??!!??!!
The only people I know with DS's are little kids and i don't think their parents will buy a GTA game for them huh.gif
I think this is a waste of valueble time they could be using for the next GTA or GTA IV for the PC
Seeen
UGH! Liberty City, again?! We're fuckin' imprisoned in this stupid city of "liberty."

I really hope they release it for PSP. I don't wanna buy a DS.
1UP
QUOTE(DonJuan @ Jul 15 2008, 04:11 PM) [snapback]1454861[/snapback]
The only people I know with DS's are little kids and i don't think their parents will buy a GTA game for them huh.gif
I think this is a waste of valueble time they could be using for the next GTA or GTA IV for the PC

Maybe in your area it is all you notice then as I don't think older people will be playing a DS or PSP for no reason, R* are expanding there horizons, besides the DS is very unique compared to the PSP, It is surprising for them to venture to Nintendo, as for lil kids only having a DS, dunno how you figure that, DS is extremely popular, I even have one myself. Little kids are more prone to bring them out an about in public for fun, older people most likely mess around with it during downtime or boredom when your without a PC or console depending what your doing like I do.

After reading that it sounds more like there interested in seeing what they can do on something unique like the DS's touch screen with a GTA game.
Jasonhh
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DS SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RomanBellic
crap!!!! they better bring it on PSP cause im not forking out money for a DS when i just bought a PS3 (just for GTA IV,even forked out money for a psp ages ago to get LCS lol) but not this time,the DS can go to hell.
DonJuan
QUOTE(RomanBellic @ Jul 15 2008, 07:25 PM) [snapback]1454885[/snapback]
crap!!!! they better bring it on PSP cause im not forking out money for a DS when i just bought a PS3 (just for GTA IV,even forked out money for a psp ages ago to get LCS lol) but not this time,the DS can go to hell.

I too bought a PS3 just for GTAIV but a DS??!!

NO!!

i'm with you on that one!!! locked.gif
Skinny 
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Jul 16 2008, 05:37 AM) [snapback]1454851[/snapback]

GTAV, similar story to IV. Niko neko travels to liberty Tampa to ecsape bosnia, as the government has imprisoned, and raped all the delvery men, who could be delivering his consoles, for him to play GTAIV on. When he arrives in Tampa, he meets with his floating, purple cousin, stoic. Stoic needs neko's help to eat people (as he is a flying purple people eater), while neko also trys to get enough money to have a console delivered and buy GTAIV, as Stoic's was burned down stolen by Russian Moari mobsters, and to get get revenge on the the other survivors from his delivery company, that was ambushed on routine pizza delivery (one of them was a governmet spy). He learns getting consoles delivered in America, is just as tough as in Bosnia, and a life of crime insues.

(and did I mention, neko is pac man? How else would he help Stoic eat people?)

fix'd.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(No Shirt. No Shoes. FINAL DESTIN @ Jul 16 2008, 12:42 AM) [snapback]1454918[/snapback]

GTAV, similar story to IV. Niko neko travels to liberty Tampa to ecsape bosnia, as the government has imprisoned, and raped all the delvery men, who could be delivering his consoles, for him to play GTAIV on. When he arrives in Tampa, he meets with his floating, purple cousin, stoic. Stoic needs neko's help to eat people (as he is a flying purple people eater), while neko also trys to get enough money to have a console delivered and buy GTAIV, as Stoic's was burned down stolen by Russian Moari mobsters, and to get get revenge on the the other survivors from his delivery company, that was ambushed on routine pizza delivery (one of them was a governmet spy). He learns getting consoles delivered in America, is just as tough as in Bosnia, and a life of crime insues.

fix'd.

**Applause**
neko_ceko
QUOTE(No Shirt. No Shoes. FINAL DESTIN @ Jul 16 2008, 06:42 AM) [snapback]1454918[/snapback]

fix'd.

SPOILER TAGS PLEASE!!! I DIDN'T PLAYED GTA V YET YOU NOOB
just kidding
shootthebandit
QUOTE(No Shirt. No Shoes. FINAL DESTIN @ Jul 16 2008, 05:42 AM) [snapback]1454918[/snapback]

fix'd.

thanx for fixin it dude.
neko_ceko
I wonder is Wuzi Mu in GTA Chinatown Wars
adswellfit
i wish they would bring out another GTA london like GTA IV but obviously set in london with cockney gangsters at northern bands and such would be interesting to see there take on big ben.
WHERE_IS_MIANUS
GRAND THEFT AUTO: CHINATOWN WARS is a stupid idea because Chinatown isn't big so as the saying goes, "there's nowhere to run and there's nowhere to hide". The area will be about the size of the second part of VC that we unlocked and that part was a neighbourhood full of mansions. What is there to do in Chinatown?

The reason why the game is only coming out for the Nintendo DS is because it's scam to make more people buy the crappy Nintendo DS that has a lot of downfalls around it. Let's face it, this scam happened when GTA: LCS and GTA: VCS came out for the PSP only and we had to wait a year for the PS2 release. The PSP was a load of crap and the films lacked a lot of what the DVD versions have. I hardly ever see any films and games for the PSP anymore. This is because it's fading out because nobody wants it and that was why Rockstar pulled a fast one when GTA: LCS was coming out for starters, it was to make more people such as GTA fans buy the PSP because they thought non-PSP user GTA fans wouldn't want to wait a year for the game and that was when Rockstar did it again with GTA: VCS. Notice that GTA 4 never made it to the PSP? Simply because the PSP sucks and it is fading out and Rockstar now know it and now they are pulling that crap over the Nintendo DS now with GRAND THEFT AUTO: CHINATOWN WARS. If this is so, GRAND THEFT AUTO: CHINATOWN WARS will be the first GTA game to flop and Rockstar will shoot themselves in the foot so-to-speak because not many people will buy the Nintendo DS for the sake of one game. The only way Rockstar can sort this mess out is to release it later such as next year for the XBox 360 and PS3 versions and the game will pick-up and make more money.

I'd like to see another GTA game based in London again. LC has been used enough now.
Sharpie Fetish
I want to see a GTA for the wii it would be intresting with the Nunchuck (IE motion controls slitting peoples throats and stuff) but it is essential that they let it work with the normal controller the nunchuks really get on my nerveas after a couple of hours of play lets hope they do it might persuade me into getting a wii
WHERE_IS_MIANUS
QUOTE(Sharpie Fetish @ Jul 17 2008, 02:52 PM) [snapback]1455122[/snapback]
I want to see a GTA for the wii it would be intresting with the Nunchuck (IE motion controls slitting peoples throats and stuff) but it is essential that they let it work with the normal controller the nunchuks really get on my nerveas after a couple of hours of play lets hope they do it might persuade me into getting a wii

The only problem with the Wii is you have to buy hardware for most games and it makes the games more expensive and clutters the place up. With the fitness training thing, you have to buy the pad to jog on. Why not go jogging for real and save money?
GLC
QUOTE(adswellfit @ Jul 16 2008, 09:50 PM) [snapback]1455032[/snapback]
i wish they would bring out another GTA london like GTA IV but obviously set in london with cockney gangsters at northern bands and such would be interesting to see there take on big ben.

to the above:no

thoughts on ds game: won't buy it,my ds which i havn't used in a year has a cracked screen so the touchpad doesn't work properly.even if my ds was in perfect condition i probably wouldn't get the game
Linkin Parkinson's
LMFAO! CHINATOWN WAAAAAAAARZZZZZ
DiO
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Jul 15 2008, 03:14 PM) [snapback]1454840[/snapback]
rolleyes.gif @ neko

You're crazy man. DS has sold SO many. R* can't go wrong putting a game on it. They will make money.
Linkin Parkinson's
Just imagine how the complaints will be if GTA goes to the Wii.
ezekiel 08
Way to go and release an ADULTS game onto a primarily kids hand-held. That will go down SO well with the Mums I'm sure... NOT. It's like Rockstar WANT their games to get banned. Smart on R*. They should have done this on the PSP where older kiddies play. Then they could have ported it to a half decant PS2 game.

What next, Mario GTA for the Wii??

QUOTE(Sharpie Fetish @ Jul 17 2008, 11:22 PM) [snapback]1455122[/snapback]
(IE motion controls slitting peoples throats and stuff)

We didn't even get to slit throats in GTAIV, what makes you think you will be able to on the DS? And they'll never make a GTA for the Wii, it's a family orientated console for Mums and Grandmas and little kids.
WHERE_IS_MIANUS

[/quote]

You're crazy man. DS has sold SO many. R* can't go wrong putting a game on it. They will make money.
[/quote]

GTA: CW will flop, trust me. So many people think the idea is dumb and anyone that does want it would rather play in as the XBox 360 version or the PS3 versions. I won't buy GTA: CW anyway, the idea seems shit to me. This game will flop.
aussie_b8ler
QUOTE(ezekiel 08 @ Jul 19 2008, 10:45 PM) [snapback]1455490[/snapback]
We didn't even get to slit throats in GTAIV, what makes you think you will be able to on the DS? And they'll never make a GTA for the Wii, it's a family orientated console for Mums and Grandmas and little kids.

never say never.

GTA IV Wii Trailer
GLC
QUOTE(aussie_b8ler @ Jul 21 2008, 12:19 AM) [snapback]1455616[/snapback]
QUOTE(ezekiel 08 @ Jul 19 2008, 10:45 PM) [snapback]1455490[/snapback]

never say never.

GTA IV Wii Trailer

rolleyes.gif @ the "trailer"
DiO
QUOTE(WHERE_IS_MIANUS @ Jul 20 2008, 07:12 PM) [snapback]1455612[/snapback]

GTA: CW will flop, trust me. So many people think the idea is dumb and anyone that does want it would rather play in as the XBox 360 version or the PS3 versions. I won't buy GTA: CW anyway, the idea seems shit to me. This game will flop.

I didn't say it was going to be a best seller. Im just saying it is worth while for R*.
Mekstizzle

That would be so awesome, yet so banned. I hope Sony/Microshaft make their own proper copies of the Wiimote so that we can get some proper games out that use that feature, If I see one more Mario or novelty party game out for the Wii......
bOnEs
it seems like a good idea, IMO... sure, it'll piss off most of the members here since, most of us don't even own a DS... but, this is giving R* something new to try... quite simply, the DS is very innovative and if you think about it, R* usually learns a thing or two with every game they create... and those "things or two" end up in the newest GTA... so, i'm all for it...

also, i don't think chinatown wars will be anything like previous GTA's... it might actually look a little more cartoonish and the violence might be scaled back just a bit... but, it's nothing too bad... if i owned a DS, i might actually be excited about this... sure, it won't be as big as even GTA III but, it's still a fun little universe to mess around in while your waiting for the bus, or plane, or wherever you are with your DS... DS users are casual gamers... and i think CW will be R*'s first "casual" game in many many years... something short and sweet with a lot of side-missions and collectibles... a typical R* game but, on a smaller scale...

sounds fun to me biggrin.gif...
Pellypopper
I think people are a bit quick to judge this game when we haven't even gotten a scrap of information on it yet, aside from a name. Sure, not many people own a DS. Rockstar is taking a gamble. And they should be applauded for that. And if the game is not up to par, I'm sure the company will receive mail expressing so.

All I'm saying is- at least give it a chance. People are writing this game off without even waiting for word to come out. I'll probably get the game. I've had a DS for over two years anyways, so, nothing big to me.

And for people who label the DS as a "kids" console: hate to break it to you, but, there are a lot of younger players who are a part of the Rockstar fan base. Though I don't know if that's a good thing or not, it's fact.
DiO
QUOTE(Pellypopper @ Jul 24 2008, 01:46 PM) [snapback]1456225[/snapback]
Sure, not many people own a DS.

What are you talking about? DS has sold a ton. 70.6 million. Thats a fucking lot.

On January 24, 2008, Nintendo Europe has revealed the DS has sold over 20 million units in Europe.[66]On January 30, 2008, Nintendo Australia announced the DS has sold over 1 million units in Australia. [67]

As of March 30, 2008, the Nintendo DS has sold 22,169,761 units in Japan according to Famitsu/Enterbrain.[68][69]

As of June, 2008, The Nintendo DS has sold over 20 million units in the U.S.A, according to NPD Group. [70]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS#Marketing_and_sales

That is why this game wont flop like everyone thinks. Even a small percentage of that would be worth R*'s time.
Pellypopper
QUOTE(R4yn3 @ Jul 24 2008, 06:31 PM) [snapback]1456255[/snapback]
What are you talking about? DS has sold a ton. 70.6 million. Thats a fucking lot.

According to a lot of reactions here, is what I meant by that. And for other websites, aswell. The majority seemed to be saying "I have spent enough money on consoles, I won't buy a DS for this."
DiO
QUOTE(Pellypopper @ Jul 24 2008, 08:16 PM) [snapback]1456267[/snapback]
QUOTE(R4yn3 @ Jul 24 2008, 06:31 PM) [snapback]1456255[/snapback]

According to a lot of reactions here, is what I meant by that. And for other websites, aswell. The majority seemed to be saying "I have spent enough money on consoles, I won't buy a DS for this."

Yah, and Im just saying millions of others already own a DS that will buy this game. It could very well sell more than GTA IV becasue DS have sold way more than PS3 and 360 combined. Though Im not saying it will. I believe the entire reason R* made a game for the DS is not to "try something new" but because the DS us a huge untapped market for them.
Sharpie Fetish
QUOTE(DonJuan @ Jul 15 2008, 10:11 PM) [snapback]1454861[/snapback]

I doubt rockstar leeds work on the better full games (ie SA and IV) they work on the portables (which i have to say they are good at it) just using GTA's Engine so we havent lost any working time for gta 5 considering Leeds wont be working on rockstar 5

QUOTE(ezekiel 08 @ Jul 19 2008, 11:45 PM) [snapback]1455490[/snapback]
Way to go and release an ADULTS game onto a primarily kids hand-held. That will go down SO well with the Mums I'm sure... NOT. It's like Rockstar WANT their games to get banned. Smart on R*. They should have done this on the PSP where older kiddies play. Then they could have ported it to a half decant PS2 game.

What next, Mario GTA for the Wii??

QUOTE(Sharpie Fetish @ Jul 17 2008, 11:22 PM) [snapback]1455122[/snapback]
(IE motion controls slitting peoples throats and stuff)

The wii and DS have more violent games than you think No more heroes is Violent and a little known DS Game called demention : the ward isnt too bad either
§ynch
No big deal, just the usual Rockstar email....font looks cool though. cool.gif

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is coming exclusively to the Nintendo DS™ this winter.
A true, and insanely fun, Grand Theft Auto experience developed from the ground up for
the DS platform by Rockstar Leeds in conjunction with Rockstar North.

This will be unlike anything you have seen on the DS before – trust!

Stay tuned for lots of details in the months to come.

www.rockstargames.com/chinatownwars
DiO
If theres one thing GTA does right its fonts.
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(R4yn3 @ Jul 24 2008, 05:31 PM) [snapback]1456255[/snapback]
QUOTE(Pellypopper @ Jul 24 2008, 01:46 PM) [snapback]1456225[/snapback]
Sure, not many people own a DS.

How many of those were for children though?
I know that where I work, we sold a shit ton of DSs a while back, all for kids.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.