Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sid's at it again....
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Other Games > Other Games
Severus Snape
Saw it on TV last night, and looked at it on Amazon this morning. Civilization: Revolution for the 360 and PS3. This thing looks (and sounds) amazing. Now I have to get a PS3 or a 360 so I can waste even more time on the one game I know better than to start playing. I have lost more time playing the original Civ than I care to remember.

Is anyone else as excited about this as I am?

1UP
Can you explain the game in an easy to read paragraph/s? I never really understood the game, I know allot of people seem to like it, but I know nothing about it. I would read something on gamespot or something but its usually pages and pages, i just want a summary.

Please don't hate me... I'm neeeew....

... Kind of.
bOnEs
i downloaded the demo a couple of days ago to see if it's worth a buy... lol, and i still don't understand the game that well... it's hard to adjust to the turn-base strategy aspect of an RTS... i'm used to just doing it, not waiting turns to make the moves... i'll have to play the demo a little more to see if i can get used to it because, it really looks like a lot of fun to try and be the dominate power on the planet...
ENVi3
i downloaded and played the demo.
i found it kinda boring, yet addictive.
Severus Snape
QUOTE(1UP @ Jul 10 2008, 09:34 AM) [snapback]1453877[/snapback]
Can you explain the game in an easy to read paragraph/s? I never really understood the game, I know allot of people seem to like it, but I know nothing about it. I would read something on gamespot or something but its usually pages and pages, i just want a summary.

Please don't hate me... I'm neeeew....

... Kind of.

The general idea of the game:

You choose which civilization you want to be (America, Russia, China, or a host of others), and starting from the dawn of civilization you guide your people to become the dominant civ on the planet. You build cities, establish diplomacy, research technology, build wonders and other buildings, roads, trains, and even space flight. You have to explore the planet because you won't know how wide the world is at the start of the game (and the map can and will change from game to game). Exploration of the world provides access to new resources (like iron, aluminum, sulfur) as well as goods and commodities (food, gems, spices).

You can wage war on other civilizations (hoping that your technology is higher than theirs - you don't want to go into battle with swords if your opponent has tanks), or you can negotiate peace treaties and alliances.

That's the general idea. turn-based instead of rts. highly addictive. It's along the same type of line as Age of Empires. I highly recommend.
DiO
I never had a chance to do a space fight. I just whooped the computer too fast. I even tried to not win by domination. Id just get a culture victory. Perhaps Id have to play on a higher difficulty. Its a good gaEm tho.
TwoFacedTanner
Bah, I never liked Civilization.
I hated the turned based combat.

I'll stick to my Age of Empires.
Darth Sexy
I got it a couple of weeks ago. It's fun, but it's a simplified compared to the PC versions. It'd be good if you could dictate the size of the map, instead of being given the same (small) map every time. It's good fun, but it's definitely aimed at people wanting a 2 hour game, rather than the 12 hour ones the PC can offer.
DiO
The PC ones last logner, eh? My brother was even saying the games progress too fast.
PabloHoneyOle
I've been checking this game out too. I've never played Civilization, but I'm a big fan of some of Sid's past games. I think I'll download the demo or maybe even *rent* it at Blockbuster or something.

Might be worth checking out...
Though I may just wait for C&C: Red Alert 3.
Severus Snape
QUOTE(R4yn3 @ Jul 24 2008, 10:21 AM) [snapback]1456201[/snapback]
The PC ones last logner, eh? My brother was even saying the games progress too fast.

Yes, they last MUCH longer. My longest game on the PC was with the 1st Civilization. Had it on Warlord (easy, but not the easiest), and I went up against 7 other civs. Spent 4 days playing that monstrosity. I ended up winning via Space Race. Thank god - the Chinese were kicking my ass!
DiO
QUOTE(Ashley Graham @ Aug 5 2008, 01:48 PM) [snapback]1457850[/snapback]

Yes, they last MUCH longer. My longest game on the PC was with the 1st Civilization. Had it on Warlord (easy, but not the easiest), and I went up against 7 other civs. Spent 4 days playing that monstrosity. I ended up winning via Space Race. Thank god - the Chinese were kicking my ass!

Dam, I am now dissappointed that they are so fast on the console. Whats with the change?
Darth Sexy
QUOTE(Albino @ Aug 6 2008, 05:10 AM) [snapback]1457861[/snapback]

Dam, I am now dissappointed that they are so fast on the console. Whats with the change?

Console gamers apparently prefer short games due to their short attention span.

Revolution is nice in the sense that I can kill 2 hours on a dull Sunday afternoon, but if I want the full experience I'll break out Civ II for some epic ethnic cleansing.
Ophis-
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Jul 25 2008, 02:31 PM) [snapback]1456303[/snapback]
I've been checking this game out too. I've never played Civilization, but I'm a big fan of some of Sid's past games. I think I'll download the demo or maybe even *rent* it at Blockbuster or something.

Might be worth checking out...
Though I may just wait for C&C: Red Alert 3.

I completely forgot RA3 was in development, whens it due?

I loved the RA series, i thought they were the best ones. Although since EA took over it didnt have the same feel to it. I used to play RA1 on the PSX and link 2 consoles together and invite mates round for a winner stays on session... needless to say, i lost a lot of mates.

haha
DiO
QUOTE(Darth Sexy @ Aug 6 2008, 05:23 AM) [snapback]1457953[/snapback]

Revolution is nice in the sense that I can kill 2 hours on a dull Sunday afternoon, but if I want the full experience I'll break out Civ II for some epic ethnic cleansing.

There should be at least some options for a long game or quick game.
Darth Sexy
QUOTE(Albino @ Aug 7 2008, 04:36 AM) [snapback]1458048[/snapback]

Yeah, it'd be a lot better if you could customise games more.
DiO
QUOTE(Darth Sexy @ Aug 7 2008, 04:48 AM) [snapback]1458180[/snapback]
QUOTE(Albino @ Aug 7 2008, 04:36 AM) [snapback]1458048[/snapback]

Yeah, it'd be a lot better if you could customise games more.

Yah, I wish you could pick and era and stick in it the entire battle. I want just to have a pure midevil battle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.