Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Packie a lottery winner?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > Hints N' Finds
GMT
so the other day, I was driving and the news pop up on the radio and I was like listening to it with one ear and around the end of the news... I didn't get it in full extend cuz I wasn't paying 100% attention, they interviewed a lottery winner...
So... I'm not sure whether they named the person or not, but I can tell one thing for sure:

It DEFINITELY was Packie!

so... anyone else heard this certain newsblock? or does anyone else know about it?

I'm curious cuz there's no doubt it was Packie's voice, but he never mentioned anything to me about a lottery winning when I was "dating" him after I heard the news...
GLC
QUOTE(GMT @ Jul 9 2008, 02:57 PM) [snapback]1453678[/snapback]
so the other day, I was driving and the news pop up on the radio and I was like listening to it with one ear and around the end of the news... I didn't get it in full extend cuz I wasn't paying 100% attention, they interviewed a lottery winner...
So... I'm not sure whether they named the person or not, but I can tell one thing for sure:

so... anyone else heard this certain newsblock? or does anyone else know about it?

I'm curious cuz there's no doubt it was Packie's voice, but he never mentioned anything to me about a lottery winning when I was "dating" him after I heard the news...

havn't heard anything like this.how far into the game did you hear it?
bOnEs
it was probably the same actor playing another voice since, they didn't mention packie's name in the broadcast, did they?
GMT
well, as I said, I can't tell it for sure whether they mentioned the name or not, I only recognized the voice.
If he did 2 voice acting things, it must be a pretty dump move to re-use the voice of one of the main characters...

anyways... how far in the game... well... maybe 1% or 1.5% less than my completion card says.
so the main story is finished, if that's what you mean GLC
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(GMT @ Jul 9 2008, 09:57 AM) [snapback]1453678[/snapback]

Sigh.

definite
Main Entry: def·i·nite
Pronunciation: \ˈde-fə-nit, ˈdef-nət\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin definitus, past participle of definire
Date: 1553
1: having distinct or certain limits <set definite standards for pupils to meet>
2 a:free of all ambiguity, uncertainty, or obscurity <demanded a definite answer>
b: unquestionable, decided <the quarterback was a definite hero today>

I don't think you used the proper adjective ("DEFINITELY") if you're asking a question about it.

I also don't think it's the correct choice because it PROBABLY ISN'T "Packie" talking about winning the lottery. There's 100's of lines of dialog for Packie's character in between all of the missions, side missions and cutscenes. The 'Packie Winning the Lottery' scenario is not mentioned or referenced in any of the in game dialog involving his character, so I doubt it was DEFINITELY him.

I also doubt R* doubled up on voice actors for radio commercials/programs (aside from Brucie, who has his own commercial); especially ones who sound EXACTLY the same as the in game character they portray. There is a good possibility that YOU PERCEIVED IT TO SOUND LIKE PACKIE and nothing more.

FYI: Ryan Johnston is the voice actor for Packie
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0426833/
His credits listing says "Packie" only.
GMT
so, how would you explain, wise man, that as far as I can trust my ears (that must be pretty good and regularely checked for their functionality in order to keep me my job), in combination with a merely 1 month old TV, it was pretty much beyond all doubts that it *was* Packie's voice... (for he has a distinguished voice and way to talk and choice of words... and for whatever coincidence, it all seems to match Packie)

other than that, I wouldn't have opened this if I wasn't 100% sure about who's voice I heard
Linkin Parkinson's
How are you 1% in the game but have the storyline finished? Why does your card say something that is higher than what it really is?

What point are you at so I can investigate.
OptimumPx
QUOTE(Linkin Parkinson @ Jul 9 2008, 07:12 PM) [snapback]1453798[/snapback]
How are you 1% in the game but have the storyline finished? Why does your card say something that is higher than what it really is?

What point are you at so I can investigate.

He said he was 1% lower then what his card says.
jev
If he won the lottery then what was the point of Three Leaf Clover?
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(GMT @ Jul 9 2008, 05:12 PM) [snapback]1453767[/snapback]
so, how would you explain, wise man, that as far as I can trust my ears (that must be pretty good and regularely checked for their functionality in order to keep me my job), in combination with a merely 1 month old TV, it was pretty much beyond all doubts that it *was* Packie's voice... (for he has a distinguished voice and way to talk and choice of words... and for whatever coincidence, it all seems to match Packie)

other than that, I wouldn't have opened this if I wasn't 100% sure about who's voice I heard

I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just saying I really doubt it was Packie on the radio. Look at the back of your game manual. There are pages of credits for voice acting and the commercials, you might be able to find proof if you want to search the manual, but I'm sure as hell not. Otherwise we have to trust your superior occupational hearing and fresh out of the box television.

The burden of proof lies on you, no one else has even heard this commercial...
GMT
sure... I'd love to do this right away... if it wouldn't mean to play the game once more until I reach the certain point... unless I find a way to rip the soundfiles and convert them...
cuz, u gotta know, both the booklet and the credits don't mention the radio's news. ok, they do, but they just mention the hosts, not the interviewed ppl

btw... I don't claim to have a superior occupational hearing. I just say that I'm forced to proof it's correct function to my employee on a regular basis to keep me my job
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(GMT @ Jul 10 2008, 09:56 AM) [snapback]1453867[/snapback]
btw... I don't claim to have a superior occupational hearing. I just say that I'm forced to proof it's correct function to my employee on a regular basis to keep me my job

LOL
GMT
what lol?
never heard of jobs that require a proper hearing?
not very stoic...
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(GMT @ Jul 10 2008, 10:18 AM) [snapback]1453873[/snapback]
what lol?
never heard of jobs that require a proper hearing?
not very stoic...

I swear I wasn't making fun of you, I was just joking around. I lol'd at reading the sentence with the 'superior occupational hearing' intact. I'm certainly not making fun of your career or anything like that.
GMT
ok then
DiO
You wheren't paying 100% attnetion but you KNOW it was Packie's voice?

GMT
yep. from the moment the phantom voice appeared I listed cuz to me, it was Packie's voice and I wondered why he's on the news.
he was talking bout hwo great it is to have won and that he doesn't think anything would change and doesn't know what to do with the money, carrying on the usual life and all this bullshit you always hear from fresh lottery winners.

But I wasn't listening to the news and stuff that was before this lottery winning guy, so I can't tell whether they announced him... or better, how they announced him (like with name or anonymously)

you now, it was one of those situations when you have the radio on but don't really listen to it (as in paying full attention to it) and suddenly you hear something and start paying attention.

And to me, it was like "ey, ain't that Packie talking there?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.