Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cops 'n' Crooks
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > Multiplayer Discussion
PabloHoneyOle
Cops and Crooks is probably my favorite multiplayer game because of the different strategies that can be implemented. If you're not familiar with C&C, the game is essentially a massive chase between a group of crooks and the police. Players are divided into the two teams in the lobby prior to starting the game. The game consists of two rounds, one where you play as a crook, the other as a cop.

The premise of the game is that the crooks have to get to a specific getaway vehicle, usually while the cops are in hot pursuit. The chase sometimes takes place across the entire map and usually involves crossing multiple islands or the length of a random island. There are two versions; All for One and One for All.

In All for One, one person on the crooks team is designated as "The Boss" and the rest of the crooks scramble to transport the boss to the getaway vehicle and prevent the cops from killing the Boss. The cops meanwhile try and kill the boss specifically. The crooks win if the Boss escapes in the designated getaway vehicle, the police win if the Boss is killed prior to his escape. Everyone except the Boss can respawn if they are killed.

In One for All, it is everyman for himself; everyone has one life per round. Both the cops and crooks spawn in vehicles, while the premise of the crooks making it to the getaway vehicle is the same; the game can be won by the crooks escaping in the getaway vehicle (either 4 or the total number of surviving players) or by either team killing off the other one.

Do any of you play C&C regularly? Which version do you prefer? What are your strategies and how do they differ depending on the version and team you're on?

I'll list mine later, right now, my fingers are tired from typing that longass description.
Linkin Parkinson's
Can you get in a helicopter? Because if I can get in a helicopter I would own at that game every time, I usually don't play it though... maybe this topic can persuade me, I'll check later to see what you guys do.
TrIgGeR HaPpY
Yes, i like this mode, its probably one of the top 3 modes in this game for me. However there is a big problem which i hate. Sometimes the cops always spawn with a vehicle, yet the the crooks don't always get a vehicle, and the traffic usually scarce. So no cars to find, the police manage to drive to the boss and kill him. I think that is an unfair advantage.
PabloHoneyOle
Can you get in a helicopter? Because if I can get in a helicopter I would own at that game every time, I usually don't play it though... maybe this topic can persuade me, I'll check later to see what you guys do.
Yes, you can use helicopters, they (sometimes) spawn in their respective helipads across the map. Sometimes, they are great for picking up scattered team members and get to the getaway vehicle quickly. The spawn locations are always random, so you may spawn no where near an available chopper.

Sometimes the cops always spawn with a vehicle, yet the the crooks don't always get a vehicle, and the traffic usually scarce. So no cars to find, the police manage to drive to the boss and kill him. I think that is an unfair advantage.

The cops always start in cars. The crooks start in cars during One for All and on foot in All for One. There is a setting for traffic at the lobby screen which the host can set. I think you're referring to All for One play, where the cops roll up out of nowhere while you're running from the shitty spawn location scrambling to find a car (one of the reasons All for One kind of sucks, more on that below). You can fix all your problems by being a host or only playing in One for All matches. The only thing you can't fix in either round is the spawn location, sometimes the cops are given a unfair advantage as far as distance away from the crooks. Sometimes, the larger spawn distances work in favor of the crooks.

I'll try to keep this to an epic minimum; but I'm at work and essentially getting paid to look busy.

When I play, I prefer to play a ranked multiplayer game. You don't make much money playing C&C, the payout is split between the team members at the end of the game; but it's nice to get a little cash while having fun. I think there are less noobs in a ranked mode, but this is not always the case.

I prefer One for All(OFA) over All for One(AFO) for numerous reasons.

AFO relies solely on the ability of the player designated as the Boss to stay alive. Many of the crook team members do not protect the Boss or assist in transporting him to the getaway vehicle, instead take off on their own, leaving the Boss in the dust. Sometimes, the person designated "Boss" is a moron and ends up dying quick. That can make the games very quick, especially when there are 8 cops firing SMG's at one target. As a cop in AFO, it is very easy to follow the Boss' movements and once a cop player with decent aim gets near the Boss, the game is over. On the HUD, cops can see the crooks (and the boss who is marked with a large target icon) and the crooks cannot see the police at all. The only clue to their approach is the sound of sirens...

OFA makes each crook a target, their own boss, with one life and one chance to make a getaway or take out some police scum. Also, as a cop, you have to be more cautious with taking out the crooks as you only have one life too. There is a strong team element to OFA, but also strong need for individual survival, even at the expense of your teammates (but never the getaway vehicle). A larger element of strategy goes into collecting weapons, armor and vehicle for the chase about to ensue. Should you fail to prepare and get killed by the opposing team, you have the option to spectate the actions of your teammates and enemies as they finish up the round. If you leave the round after dying, you will not participate in any remaining rounds and forfeit your portion of the cash collected from playing. On the HUD in OFA, the cops can see all the crooks and the crooks can only see the cops when they get within a certain vicinity of them.

I'll post more about my One for All strategy in a little while.
PabloHoneyOle
One for All Strategies
OFA is my favorite version of the game to play. It allows many different situations to play out in a pretty simple scenario. The freedom in this mode of multiplayer makes it one of the most interesting and fun modes. As mentioned above, OFA is all about cops vs. crooks, every man for himself, one life and that's it. Crooks have to get to the getaway vehicle and the Cops have to prevent that from happening. Here are a few of my strategies or things I have noticed during this version of C&C for each of the two playable sides.

Crooks: Playing as the crooks is everyone's favorite. It's a chance to kill the police. It's also quite a rush to make a daring escape in the getaway vehicle under heavy police fire. As a crook, your goal is simple: Get to the Getaway vehicle (either a speed boat or a helicopter) and make your escape; take down as many cops as possible. You win if you escape with the required number of crooks (4 or the total left alive) in the getaway vehicle or kill off all of the cops.

When the round begins, you are a crook, usually grouped with other members of your gang (or team) in a sedan of some sort. You are equipped with a shit pistol, no match to the SMG's the police start with. You spawn in random location in LC, with a blue block representing the getaway vehicle on your HUD. Upon checking your map, you'll notice that the getaway vehicle is usually pretty far away, making you drive across one or more of the islands of LC. One of the best strategies as a crook is to set a way point to the getaway vehicle immediately. It will make a big difference when the cops are in pursuit and you don't know which route is the fastest.

When you spawn in your vehicle, you will either be a passenger or a driver. If you are a driver, your best bet is to HAUL ASS towards the getaway vehicle. The closer you get to the getaway vehicle before the cops arrive, the more of an advantage you'll have later in the round. If you are a passenger, it may suit you best to stay with the driver for awhile, it takes 4 people to fill a getaway vehicle, if one car of 4 gets there fast, that's a quick and rewarding win. As a passenger, you also have the option of splitting up by jumping out of the car and getting weapons, armor and maybe a faster vehicle to get you to your getaway vehicle. Armor and weapon selection is important, RPG's come in handy for taking out deathsquad cop cars, but finding one lying around may allow the police to close in on your location.

Some people playing as crooks choose to stock up on weapons and armor and take on the cops instead of trying to escape. Bridges make great places for road blocks and well placed RPG's to stop the cop's pursuit. Players may even sacrifice themselves by taking out a few cops in attempt to delay the pursuit or leading the cops on a wild goose chase as a diversion from the other crooks making the escape in the actual getaway vehicle.

In C&C, most of the buildings you enter in single player are open including the Museum in Middle Park, the law firm in South Alqonquin, and the strip clubs. They make great hiding places and can sometimes offer an advantage, but they can also leave you cornered to an overwhelming police force. The subways also make great hiding spots and have even served me as an "underground railroad" of sorts...

If you choose to go off on your own, you may have to join your teammates in the getaway vehicle eventually to end the round. Most times, someone will reach the getaway vehicle before their teammates and take the vehicle to avoid having it destroyed by the cops. It is this players job to either pick up the remaining crooks or arrange a meeting place to be picked up after they shake the cops.

The most important aspect is to not let the vehicle be destroyed; not just by the cops bullets. The getaway boats can flip and the helicopters can crash, just like in normal gameplay, ending the round with a loss for the crooks. If a player is stranded in the middle of a police pursuit, sometimes it is better to let the cops kill him than risk exposing the getaway vehicle to an RPG or well aimed sniper shot.

If you get desperate, never underestimate the power of swimming. Many of the getaway vehicles are boats (this can be determined easily by looking at the map, if it's on the coast, it's probably a boat) and can be reached by swimming. Granted, it involves a lot of button mashing, but if police presence on land is overwhelming, swimming can get you out of a major bind.

Cops: When playing as the police, the objective is simple, prevent the crooks from escaping in the getaway vehicle. The easiest way to accomplish this is by killing all the crooks. Another way is to destroy the getaway vehicle prior to the crooks reaching it. There are a number of different strategies to employ when playing as the police. They change every round depending on the number of players on your team, number of players on the opposite team, spawn location, and a few other factors.

When you start the police round, you always start in a police car. You will be dressed as a random cop NPC and you will be equipped with a SMG. Depending on the number of teammates you have, you will likely have a few fellow cops in the cruiser with you. You will either be the driver or the passenger.

As the driver, your goal is to follow the crooks and engage in a chase if necessary. If you're not a skilled driver and you spawn as the driver, you can get out and switch places with another player. As a passenger in the police cruiser, your goal is to fire upon any crooks and their vehicles as they come into range. Passengers can also update the way point on the map, which the driver of the car they are in will be able to see. This allows the driver to navigate the correct streets to get directly to the crooks location. If the crooks are on the move, the passenger can stay in the map screen and continue to update the waypoint as the crooks move. Usually, players who spawn as passengers will exit the car immediately upon the start of the round to secure another vehicle or weapons.

As mentioned earlier, armor and weapon selection is important, especially when going up against an opponent. Depending on your spawn location, there are only select weapons lying about and the time you spend searching for them is time that the crooks can be making their escape.

Strategy as a police officer is based on staying alive and stopping the crooks. If you are in a car full of police, rolling up on a car of crooks, 2-4 SMG's blazing is a very effective way at taking out crooks. If the crook is not out in the open, one or two police officers can bail out to pursue on foot. Teaming up against a single crook is a very effective manner of taking them out. Use health packs and armor whenever possible to extend your life.

As a cop, you cannot see where exactly the getaway vehicle the crooks are going to is, but you can get an idea by watching the general movement of the group, they are trying to get there as soon as possible. Following a crook from afar without notifying them of your presence (stay back, sirens off) will lead you to their getaway vehicle. From there, you can destroy the getaway vehicle (should have stopped and picked up that RPG); sit and guard the getaway vehicle and kill any crooks trying to reach it; or just steal it (Note: I have noticed that unless a crook has already sat in it, you cannot steal a getaway helicopter, it just won't let you take off.)

The round will end when: A.)you kill all of the crooks and you win; B.)destroy the getaway vehicle and you win; C.)the crooks kill all of the cops and you lose; or D.) the required number of crooks gets away in the designated vehicle and you lose.

As a cop, the best strategy is to keep going after the crooks, until the end. The only way out of the game is to let them escape or kill every last one. Sometimes if there is only one or more crook left, they can basically go on free roam until the game is ended in one of the above manners.
TheAnalogKid2112
In OFA I just hop out of the car, grab an assault rifle, and wait to blow the cop's brains out :]
Linkin Parkinson's
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Jun 25 2008, 09:26 PM) [snapback]1450642[/snapback]
One for All Strategies
OFA is my favorite version of the game to play. It allows many different situations to play out in a pretty simple scenario. The freedom in this mode of multiplayer makes it one of the most interesting and fun modes. As mentioned above, OFA is all about cops vs. crooks, every man for himself, one life and that's it. Crooks have to get to the getaway vehicle and the Cops have to prevent that from happening. Here are a few of my strategies or things I have noticed during this version of C&C for each of the two playable sides.

Crooks: Playing as the crooks is everyone's favorite. It's a chance to kill the police. It's also quite a rush to make a daring escape in the getaway vehicle under heavy police fire. As a crook, your goal is simple: Get to the Getaway vehicle (either a speed boat or a helicopter) and make your escape; take down as many cops as possible. You win if you escape with the required number of crooks (4 or the total left alive) in the getaway vehicle or kill off all of the cops.

When the round begins, you are a crook, usually grouped with other members of your gang (or team) in a sedan of some sort. You are equipped with a shit pistol, no match to the SMG's the police start with. You spawn in random location in LC, with a blue block representing the getaway vehicle on your HUD. Upon checking your map, you'll notice that the getaway vehicle is usually pretty far away, making you drive across one or more of the islands of LC. One of the best strategies as a crook is to set a way point to the getaway vehicle immediately. It will make a big difference when the cops are in pursuit and you don't know which route is the fastest.

When you spawn in your vehicle, you will either be a passenger or a driver. If you are a driver, your best bet is to HAUL ASS towards the getaway vehicle. The closer you get to the getaway vehicle before the cops arrive, the more of an advantage you'll have later in the round. If you are a passenger, it may suit you best to stay with the driver for awhile, it takes 4 people to fill a getaway vehicle, if one car of 4 gets there fast, that's a quick and rewarding win. As a passenger, you also have the option of splitting up by jumping out of the car and getting weapons, armor and maybe a faster vehicle to get you to your getaway vehicle. Armor and weapon selection is important, RPG's come in handy for taking out deathsquad cop cars, but finding one lying around may allow the police to close in on your location.

Some people playing as crooks choose to stock up on weapons and armor and take on the cops instead of trying to escape. Bridges make great places for road blocks and well placed RPG's to stop the cop's pursuit. Players may even sacrifice themselves by taking out a few cops in attempt to delay the pursuit or leading the cops on a wild goose chase as a diversion from the other crooks making the escape in the actual getaway vehicle.

In C&C, most of the buildings you enter in single player are open including the Museum in Middle Park, the law firm in South Alqonquin, and the strip clubs. They make great hiding places and can sometimes offer an advantage, but they can also leave you cornered to an overwhelming police force. The subways also make great hiding spots and have even served me as an "underground railroad" of sorts...

If you choose to go off on your own, you may have to join your teammates in the getaway vehicle eventually to end the round. Most times, someone will reach the getaway vehicle before their teammates and take the vehicle to avoid having it destroyed by the cops. It is this players job to either pick up the remaining crooks or arrange a meeting place to be picked up after they shake the cops.

The most important aspect is to not let the vehicle be destroyed; not just by the cops bullets. The getaway boats can flip and the helicopters can crash, just like in normal gameplay, ending the round with a loss for the crooks. If a player is stranded in the middle of a police pursuit, sometimes it is better to let the cops kill him than risk exposing the getaway vehicle to an RPG or well aimed sniper shot.

If you get desperate, never underestimate the power of swimming. Many of the getaway vehicles are boats (this can be determined easily by looking at the map, if it's on the coast, it's probably a boat) and can be reached by swimming. Granted, it involves a lot of button mashing, but if police presence on land is overwhelming, swimming can get you out of a major bind.

Cops: When playing as the police, the objective is simple, prevent the crooks from escaping in the getaway vehicle. The easiest way to accomplish this is by killing all the crooks. Another way is to destroy the getaway vehicle prior to the crooks reaching it. There are a number of different strategies to employ when playing as the police. They change every round depending on the number of players on your team, number of players on the opposite team, spawn location, and a few other factors.

When you start the police round, you always start in a police car. You will be dressed as a random cop NPC and you will be equipped with a SMG. Depending on the number of teammates you have, you will likely have a few fellow cops in the cruiser with you. You will either be the driver or the passenger.

As the driver, your goal is to follow the crooks and engage in a chase if necessary. If you're not a skilled driver and you spawn as the driver, you can get out and switch places with another player. As a passenger in the police cruiser, your goal is to fire upon any crooks and their vehicles as they come into range. Passengers can also update the way point on the map, which the driver of the car they are in will be able to see. This allows the driver to navigate the correct streets to get directly to the crooks location. If the crooks are on the move, the passenger can stay in the map screen and continue to update the waypoint as the crooks move. Usually, players who spawn as passengers will exit the car immediately upon the start of the round to secure another vehicle or weapons.

As mentioned earlier, armor and weapon selection is important, especially when going up against an opponent. Depending on your spawn location, there are only select weapons lying about and the time you spend searching for them is time that the crooks can be making their escape.

Strategy as a police officer is based on staying alive and stopping the crooks. If you are in a car full of police, rolling up on a car of crooks, 2-4 SMG's blazing is a very effective way at taking out crooks. If the crook is not out in the open, one or two police officers can bail out to pursue on foot. Teaming up against a single crook is a very effective manner of taking them out. Use health packs and armor whenever possible to extend your life.

As a cop, you cannot see where exactly the getaway vehicle the crooks are going to is, but you can get an idea by watching the general movement of the group, they are trying to get there as soon as possible. Following a crook from afar without notifying them of your presence (stay back, sirens off) will lead you to their getaway vehicle. From there, you can destroy the getaway vehicle (should have stopped and picked up that RPG); sit and guard the getaway vehicle and kill any crooks trying to reach it; or just steal it (Note: I have noticed that unless a crook has already sat in it, you cannot steal a getaway helicopter, it just won't let you take off.)

The round will end when: A.)you kill all of the crooks and you win; B.)destroy the getaway vehicle and you win; C.)the crooks kill all of the cops and you lose; or D.) the required number of crooks gets away in the designated vehicle and you lose.

As a cop, the best strategy is to keep going after the crooks, until the end. The only way out of the game is to let them escape or kill every last one. Sometimes if there is only one or more crook left, they can basically go on free roam until the game is ended in one of the above manners.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMNNNN MAN WHAT THE FUCK

I didn't get a chance to play it today, I really like team deathmatch better though.
smartian
As a cop in AFO, it is very easy to follow the Boss' movements and once a cop player with decent aim gets near the Boss, the game is over. On the HUD, cops can see the crooks (and the boss who is marked with a large target icon) and the crooks cannot see the police at all. The only clue to their approach is the sound of sirens...

didnt know this!!, i wondered why i could see the police, i was a crook on muy own because my mate had left when we done this round, i thought it to be wierd that i could carry on alone, but hey! I got to the destination. without getting killed, or even spotting the police, heard the sirens once or twice lol

although after reading all of that up there, (at work of course) I am now really keen to place this mode as soon as!!
most likely tomorrow though.
*ps I'm on ps3 and wana play with people like "stoic person..." who will actually play team games together and have some kind of plan/strategy... especially the decoy idea smile.gif plus the bigger the team the better i say...
**anyone wana play a huge team game of Hangman's Noose?...**
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.