Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firefox 3
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
ENVi3
its supposed to be released sometime today.
they're going for a world record for most software downloads in one day.
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/firefox3

i find it kinda funny how i'm anticipating a release for a new(/updated) browser.

i haven't really read into too much of the proposed new features, i figured i would just learn as i go along.
Ophis-
QUOTE(Vanilla Packer @ Jun 17 2008, 04:05 PM) [snapback]1448638[/snapback]
its supposed to be released sometime today.
they're going for a world record for most software downloads in one day.
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/firefox3

i find it kinda funny how i'm anticipating a release for a new(/updated) browser.

i haven't really read into too much of the proposed new features, i figured i would just learn as i go along.

Hey, im the same. I didnt know today is launch day for this but i use the beta version of Firefox 3 and its been great for me the past 4 months... my software has been acting weirdly this past week and updating itself daily so i guess it was due to this waiting release!
ENVi3
Firefox 3 has been released smile.gif
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/?p=downloadday
Mekstizzle
Yeah, nice browser. If you don't want your bookmarks showing up automatically when you start typing in the address bar, do this:

Go to about:config

Search: browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped

Set to true

Search: browser.urlbar.maxRichResults

Set to 0
ENVi3
thanks, that's nice to know.
I'm so used to just going through the toolbar for my bookmarks.
neko_ceko
I downloaded it too ohmy.gif
Nec
I'm loving it. Faster, for sure.
DonkeyTits
QUOTE(Slapknuts @ Jun 17 2008, 01:19 PM) [snapback]1448683[/snapback]
Yeah, nice browser. If you don't want your bookmarks showing up automatically when you start typing in the address bar, do this:

jibba jabba

I did need that, thanks.
ENVi3
i hate the gray default theme. it feels like I'm using IE.
I'm hoping Noia gets updated so its compatible ....
DiO
Downloading right now. They are trying to break a world record for most downloads of software in one day.
yadoso
I'm a Firefox whore, honestly. I have too many add-ons to count... I couldn't live without StumbleUpon. Firefox 3 is less exiting for me, though, because I was use Beta 2 for a while.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(Vanilla Packer @ Jun 17 2008, 07:12 PM) [snapback]1448723[/snapback]
i hate the gray default theme. it feels like I'm using IE.
I'm hoping Noia gets updated so its compatible ....

It's actually even uglier than IE by default.
I have been a long time IE user. There was only a short period of time I switched to FF, but this 3.0 is awesome. I think I'll be sticking with it.

The only problem I have with it so far is the scrolling. It's unbearable. Smooth scrolling is extremely slow and even without it, it's still slower and jerkier than IE with smooth scrolling enabled. Anyone else have this problem? It wasn't that bad in 2.0.

Edit: Must have been a bug. Now it doesn't seem as bad, but I still like scrolling in IE better.
DiO
Well it isn't working for me. Pages aren't loading.

*Goes back to Opera.
1UP
Downloaded, now I'm sad cause my theme don't work with it. :'( I was so used to it.
Styl
QUOTE(yadoso @ Jun 17 2008, 06:45 PM) [snapback]1448737[/snapback]
I'm a Firefox whore, honestly. I have too many add-ons to count... I couldn't live without StumbleUpon. Firefox 3 is less exiting for me, though, because I was use Beta 2 for a while.

Yeah StumbleUpon is awesome.

I Dl'ed FF 3 as well yesterday, so far its treating me great.
Hardcore Ottoman
Damn this thing is slow to download right now...
ENVi3
yeah, so many people are downloading it. i think they got over 7 million downloads from the official site. and its funny because Download.com has 14million downloads .
I'm guessing that was enough to make it a record (since there was no record to beat).
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(M.C Nugget @ Jun 18 2008, 12:49 AM) [snapback]1448739[/snapback]
Well it isn't working for me. Pages aren't loading.

*Goes back to Opera.

I have a huge simular probelm. It won't work. IE works.. but FireFox doens't work at all.. it may load one or two pages then it just stops. I've tried safemode ect...

any tips?
1UP
Anyone else having random massive slow downs (Firefox suddenly using 50%+ of my cpu)? I checked everything that I can to see if its something else, cache, virus ect... It all points at Firefox doing it, as I used IE last few hours and its not done it once when I don't use Firefox (always happens within 2 or 3 hours). It seems to happen pretty randomly when I have Firefox open.

It's just kinda getting annoying. x.X
Qdeathstar
there is definately a problem with firefox 3... it blows..

someone better get on this or i guess i'll switch back to Ie.. i mean, i've never had any problems with it.
DiO
Firefox 3 is a phail for me. It still wont load a page at all. Im good with Opera so w/e.
FrankCastle
Yeah FF3 will definitely be my new browser if they can fix these bugs. The super slow scrolling issue I mentioned before seems to only happen on certain IGN pages. I don't know if they are using some kind of content that FF doesn't like.

I just found another bug. Pages that should open up in new tabs are opening up in new windows instead. This defeats the purpose of having the tabs. I have the tab options set correctly too so I guess it's a bug.
Indy
I've had no problems with Firefox 3. Good thing Adblock is compatible.
Ophis-
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Jun 22 2008, 03:58 PM) [snapback]1449741[/snapback]
Yeah FF3 will definitely be my new browser if they can fix these bugs. The super slow scrolling issue I mentioned before seems to only happen on certain IGN pages. I don't know if they are using some kind of content that FF doesn't like.

I just found another bug. Pages that should open up in new tabs are opening up in new windows instead. This defeats the purpose of having the tabs. I have the tab options set correctly too so I guess it's a bug.

Use your middle mouse button. I always middle mouse click to open things in new tabs anyways.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(Liquidice @ Jun 23 2008, 11:21 AM) [snapback]1449955[/snapback]
Use your middle mouse button. I always middle mouse click to open things in new tabs anyways.

Thanks, great tip. I guess I'll be doing that in the mean time but it still doesn't seem right to HAVE to do that. What's the sense in having the option of pages opening in new tabs when it doesn't actually work? Like I said, this wasn't a problem in FF2 so maybe it'll take some time to fix.
Ophis-
I use both IE and firefox and when you use them at the same time, its highly annoying to flick back to IE because it does not have nifty shortcuts for things.

FF is faster not just in performance but usabilty. Massive thumbs up for version 3 from me.
ENVi3
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Jun 23 2008, 05:37 PM) [snapback]1450090[/snapback]
What's the sense in having the option of pages opening in new tabs when it doesn't actually work? Like I said, this wasn't a problem in FF2 so maybe it'll take some time to fix.
just wait till like Tab Mix Plus or some other extension is made compatible.
Ophis-
QUOTE(Vanilla Packer @ Jun 24 2008, 04:51 AM) [snapback]1450151[/snapback]
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Jun 23 2008, 05:37 PM) [snapback]1450090[/snapback]
What's the sense in having the option of pages opening in new tabs when it doesn't actually work? Like I said, this wasn't a problem in FF2 so maybe it'll take some time to fix.
just wait till like Tab Mix Plus or some other extension is made compatible.

Bare in mind this could just be a thing your side? Mine doesn't do that at all so don't completely throw the blame Mozzillas way.
asthenia
Woahh.. I haven't had any of these problems.

ohmy.gif
psychÝ
QUOTE(Flatulent Goldfish @ Jun 24 2008, 11:32 AM) [snapback]1450214[/snapback]
Woahh.. I haven't had any of these problems.

ohmy.gif

Indeed I haven't had any of these problems either, I would guess most are due to incompatibility issues.
DiO
/\ Yah, my computer is severely retarted. Certian apps will just decide to stop working and months later they will again.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(Liquidice @ Jun 24 2008, 04:20 AM) [snapback]1450178[/snapback]
Bare in mind this could just be a thing your side? Mine doesn't do that at all so don't completely throw the blame Mozzillas way.

That's true. It does seem to work fine on my MUCH older system at work which runs on Win2K. I'm not blaming them, I'm hoping it's them smile.gif Even with these minor issues, I still think it's an awesome browser, so I'm not switching until I have a real reason to do so.

I think my tab problem went away.
1UP
Re-installing fixed one of my 2 problems, oddly enough using a diff theme fixed my other problem for some unknown reason. Yippee that the theme I use got updated for Firefox 3. =)
Indy
Which theme would that be? I like the default one.
Lee
Could someone explain to a browser noob what the differences/advantages are with using Firefox. I downloaded the new version yesterday but only to make sure that my website was compatible having completley rebuilt it from the ground up.
1UP
QUOTE(BRING YOUR DAUGHTER TO THE SLOBB @ Jun 29 2008, 05:57 AM) [snapback]1451583[/snapback]
Which theme would that be? I like the default one.

iFox smooth, I rather like it, the default kep messing up an reverting back to the FF2 theme (some kind of conflict between install of Firefox 3 and FF2 maybe).
psychÝ
QUOTE(Lee @ Jun 29 2008, 05:28 PM) [snapback]1451608[/snapback]
Could someone explain to a browser noob what the differences/advantages are with using Firefox. I downloaded the new version yesterday but only to make sure that my website was compatible having completley rebuilt it from the ground up.

Eh.........everything over IE, well apart from some websites which don't work as they are poorly coded, however these are few and far between and won't be worth going on anyway.

Most have their own niches that they do better or worse at, IE just does poorly all round.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Jun 29 2008, 04:57 PM) [snapback]1451656[/snapback]
QUOTE(Lee @ Jun 29 2008, 05:28 PM) [snapback]1451608[/snapback]

Eh.........everything over IE, well apart from some websites which don't work as they are poorly coded, however these are few and far between and won't be worth going on anyway.

Most have their own niches that they do better or worse at, IE just does poorly all round.

Fire Fox is a lot better once you get all your add-ons and give it your own personal touch. IE lacks the ease and level of customization. As for performance, I don't really notice a huge difference between the two. Although, with a little modding Fire Fox can be even faster than normal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.