Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: most influential 80's rock band
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Entertainment
Muted Bass Fish
ok me and my friend are arguing over which band was the most influential to rock music. We narrowed it down to 5 bands, if you have another suggestion vote none of the above and post your suggestion.
gingergenius
QUOTE(Korn @ Jun 14 2008, 06:12 AM) [snapback]1447862[/snapback]
ok me and my friend are arguing over which band was the most influential to rock music. We narrowed it down to 5 bands, if you have another suggestion vote none of the above and post your suggestion.

It's a stupid argument to have, because so many different things can influence different people in different countries....

anyway I voted Led Zep for argument's sake
Darth Sexy
I voted Led Zep, but "influencial" is too broad. Influencial to whom?
neko_ceko
I voted Led Zepelin
Kamahl
title says 80's rock band and Led Zeppelin is older than that...
Un-Amurikan Bastage
If you count Zeppelin as "80's rock," then they win I think. Which is sad, because they ripped off a lot of older, good artists and their music lacks substance anyway. But since I don't count them as 80's rock, Metallica wins. They began thrash metal and pretty much single-handedly curved the metal scene toward what it is today. But I'd dig deeper than that and vote for Black Sabbath if it was an option - definitely the most influential band in the rock scene by the 80's. Hell, they were the first to tune their guitars the way almost all metal bands do now and have done since them.
DiO
I voted Metallica. Led is considered 70s, IMO anyways. And yah, what UAB said.
DonkeyTits
This is rather impossible to answer. One argument is that you can break those 5 bands down into 3 or more categories.
Hardcore Ottoman
I voted Metallica for its effect on what is 'metal' and because they happen to be the most whored rock band from the '80s. Led is not '80s.

But I also put down None of the Above. My fill in is Naked City and the Melvins. If anyone knows these bands they'll agree. Naked City took free jazz and prompted a lot of this avant-garde stuff and grindcore while the Melvins brought sludge and grunge. They did it before Nirvana I believe. Black Sabbath did influence the Melvins though.

King Buzzo and John Zorn deserve a lot more credit than people may think.
DiO
QUOTE(Leng Tch @ Jun 15 2008, 07:24 PM) [snapback]1448233[/snapback]
I voted Metallica for its effect on what is 'metal' and because they happen to be the most whored rock band from the '80s.

SSSSSSAAD BUT TTUURREREEAAAOOOUUGHH!!!!!!
psychÝ
QUOTE(Kamahl @ Jun 14 2008, 03:58 PM) [snapback]1447913[/snapback]
title says 80's rock band and Led Zeppelin is older than that...

Indeed, it clearly isn't 80's rock and where is Iron Maiden on that list.
Hardcore Ottoman
That is why None of the Above is an option psycho.
Handsome B Wonderful
Pfft. Without bands like Venom and Mercyful Fate and such, there would be no Metallica. Well, there would be, but they would have sucked, gone glam, and Hetfield would have been on the receiving end of a drug overdose. Or he could still be alive. Most likely, he would have become the touring guitarist for the Eagles. "Jump into tha hotel Californyah!!". Actually, if i had the chance, i would go back in time to rid the world of Metallica. Forget crashing tour buses. Exploding tour buses are the go. And then i wouldn't have to suffer Bullet For My Valentine.

Led Zep? As an 80's band, they would have rocked. Alas, they did very little rocking in the 80's.

Acca Dacca killed in the charts in the 80's (Back in black is in the highest selling albums ever list somewhere. Eat shit Metallica), but most bands who copied there sound back then and now suck.

Van Halen? Really influential on the guitar solos throughout the 80's, but David Lee Roth is a dick with poodle hair. And that other dude (Sammy Hagar?) was just wrong.

Guns n Roses are a joke.

I'm with Psycho. None Of The Above, cos Iron Maiden were the most influential 80's band in my book. Followed by Judas Priest. And then probably Metallica a distant 3rd. And, sadly, Motley Crue somewhere as well. Not because i like them, but because some of the most commercial 80's rock acts were inspired by their 'tude, titties and tunes. Gnarly.
DiO
Everytime you hear a violin or a "good" singer in metal......Thats Iron Maiden.

NWOBHM FTW!
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE(Beef McNuggets @ Jun 16 2008, 01:10 AM) [snapback]1448313[/snapback]
QUOTE(Leng Tch @ Jun 15 2008, 07:24 PM) [snapback]1448233[/snapback]
I voted Metallica for its effect on what is 'metal' and because they happen to be the most whored rock band from the '80s.

SSSSSSAAD BUT TTUURREREEAAAOOOUUGHH!!!!!!

Lmao.

I voted Metallica. By now I'm just repeating what everyone else said. Totally reshaped metal music.
Led Zeppelin is one of the greatest bands ever and made such a huge impact on rock music. Their music does NOT lack substance. How did they rip off older bands, UAB?
coreyko_2003
Nulled......they're all good in their own ways.....but you have to keep in mind that Black Sabbath started it all sleep.gif
Dr. Evil
QUOTE(KoreyKo @ Jul 15 2008, 06:36 PM) [snapback]1454895[/snapback]
Nulled......they're all good in their own ways.....but you have to keep in mind that Black Sabbath started it all sleep.gif

I would have to agree.
Mzeppelin
Led Zeppelin was late 60s-70s. They disbanded in the early 80s, I think '81 or '82 so they're not an 80s rock band.
ßynch
QUOTE(KoreyKo @ Jul 15 2008, 06:36 PM) [snapback]1454895[/snapback]

Sabbath was great.
Still considered 70's though like Zep.

I voted VH because everywhere you went
in Los Angeles guitar players were trying
to play "Eruption", plus he influenced
a lot of the big hair bands back then.
Screw Loose
QUOTE(M.C Nugget @ Jun 19 2008, 12:46 AM) [snapback]1448975[/snapback]
Everytime you hear a violin or a "good" singer in metal......Thats Iron Maiden.

NWOBHM FTW!

...Quoted for truth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.