Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guitar Heros & Rock Band
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Other Games > Other Games
Ophis-
It seems that Guitar Heros & Rock Band are slowly taking over the world. To me, they are just a re-packaged version of those dance machines and dance mats you see in arcades and can get for your consoles. I've never been a fan of 'simon says' games where you just copy whats on screen by hitting a combination. I'm also not a fan of rock music but these games seem to be taking over the world just recently. I've not found anyone to agree with me completely yet but 1 out of 3 people i have spoken to have arrange and scheduled their day to fit these games in. . . . and i'm talking 25 year old professionals with familys here, not kids with lots of free time.

Use the poll to see just how popular this game is around here... With any luck i will find at least one person who can't stand these games either.

(p.s. Yes i have played them and gave them ago. It's not just me jumping to conclusions)
Ex-PS Fanboy
i personally like them, it's a stupid idea, exact same thing with a few new songs and a $180 price tag, but it's so god damn addicting...
1UP
1 thing about the 2... Guitar hero's guitar kicks rock bands guitar ass... hate rock bands one. >.<

I think both are taking advantage of the market now looking at some of the future releases, an packs of songs which could all easily fit onto 1 disc. I'm sure its just a fad an will die out eventually but right now its fucking addicting.
DiO
I hate them. I don't play my real guitar nearly enough and im not wasting my time on a fake one. There are free flash games on the web that do the same thing as this game. And they are completely whoring the tittle with all these fuckin music packs they're putting out.
bOnEs
i like em... it gives you and your buddies something to do... rather than taking turns with GTAIV, COD4, or something else, GH and RB lets you and your friends play together... and what a couple peeps said already, it's very addictive...

i can see D-O's argument though... one of my friends told me the same thing... why play with a virtual guitar when you own a real guitar?? i guess it's for people like me that, never really learned the guitar... and although this is really nothing like playing a real one, it's still gratifying to play rock songs that you feel like your actually playing...

my vote is for guitar hero though... haven't played rock band but, i've herd enough about the guitars and drums... guitar hero is gonna release a similar package so, we'll see how that one plays...
HB~Sauce
Everyone wants to experience the Rockstar lifestyle, and rock out on "guitar" to their favorite songs. Good on the developers of the original GH's to realize this and make alot of money in the process.

As for me, after getting the 3rd GH for christmas I've decided that I'll stick to playing them at friends house and stick with other games.
Kamahl
I only have GH because Rock Band costs like $280 here and im not paying that much for a game... The concept is the same though and ive seen the songs so im sure i'd like it...

Anyway, i like the games, i like most of the music they put and they are fun to play, multiplayer is good and i always play it when friends come over.

I know how to play real guitar but with GH or Rock Band is more like just pick it up and play, just 3 minutes and you are playing a song... Also, GH is the only game my gf wants to play XD.png
DiO
I guess play with friends is cool. But id rather play a wrestling game or something, though I havent got one of those in years. Mabe the next one. mellow.gif
Ophis-
Well, i'm still going to hate it. Rock realy isn't my thing for a start so its hard to like something you dont listen too. I'll probably end up getting a "DJ" one if they bring it out... mini decks to mix and scratch with. Although i must say, i can use real decks so i might just find it abit cheesy.
Pieface
QUOTE(Kamahl @ Jun 11 2008, 03:16 AM) [snapback]1447002[/snapback]
I only have GH because Rock Band costs like $280 here and im not paying that much for a game... The concept is the same though and ive seen the songs so im sure i'd like it...

Its cheaper in Peru thank the UK o_O. EA are scumbags.
Ophis-
Why is it i have never heard of GH 1 or 2 but all of a sudden 3 is huge? Is it better? or have they rushed production on all three they have come out within months of each other or something?!
Kamahl
QUOTE(Piefascist @ Jun 11 2008, 05:33 AM) [snapback]1447074[/snapback]
QUOTE(Kamahl @ Jun 11 2008, 03:16 AM) [snapback]1447002[/snapback]

Its cheaper in Peru thank the UK o_O. EA are scumbags.

yeah, but $280 here is more than the lowest salary, besides our stores import the games from the US so thats why it costs less.
bOnEs
QUOTE(Liquidice @ Jun 11 2008, 07:00 AM) [snapback]1447078[/snapback]
Why is it i have never heard of GH 1 or 2 but all of a sudden 3 is huge? Is it better? or have they rushed production on all three they have come out within months of each other or something?!

if i recall, GH 1 and 2 were released on last gen systems... GHIII is probably big because it's next gen... really, they're all the same damn game... the difference is of course in the song selections... and 3 actually has you battling a couple rock legends and the devil so, it's a little different than 1 and 2... but, not much...
asthenia
GH2 was next-gen.

Fucking hate the games, with a passion. I can play a real guitar, I can play Simon Says games, I can't fucking fathom the pos that is Guitar Hero though.
ThePaleOgre
I really like to play Dance Dance Revolution but I dont like the guitar games very much
Ill play them at my friends house sometimes but thats enough for me
Ophis-
QUOTE(LuxAeterna @ Jun 11 2008, 10:21 PM) [snapback]1447200[/snapback]
GH2 was next-gen.

Fucking hate the games, with a passion. I can play a real guitar, I can play Simon Says games, I can't fucking fathom the pos that is Guitar Hero though.

I f*cking love you.

But to the above comment about Dance Dance Revolution... I didn't realy like them games either... I remember about 3 years ago when the craze for them kicked in and you had loads of people going to arcades to play on it thinking they could actually dance because they knew how to press a large button with their feet in the right order. The one great thing about that game is watching a retard attempt to dance for comical value... and watching attractive girls jump up and down while playing it.

Although.... im no perve or nothing..... honest unsure.gif
Lee
QUOTE(DJ-1UP @ Jun 10 2008, 07:31 PM) [snapback]1446864[/snapback]
1 thing about the 2... Guitar hero's guitar kicks rock bands guitar ass... hate rock bands one. >.<

I think both are taking advantage of the market now looking at some of the future releases, an packs of songs which could all easily fit onto 1 disc. I'm sure its just a fad an will die out eventually but right now its fucking addicting.

I thought the same thing about the guitar but I've got used to it now and it's actually not bad. I've only got the Green Grass song to beat on expert and I'm done with the guitar careers. Then back on to the expert drums career which I'm about half way through.

Whoever said these games are like dance mats is just wrong. Sure the way you have to follow whats on screen is the same but pressing buttons quickly on a guitar or drumming to the beat is entirely different and requires much more skill. Especially the drums where the game is not a whole lot different to playing drums in real life.
Ophis-
QUOTE(Lee @ Jun 12 2008, 01:30 PM) [snapback]1447369[/snapback]
Whoever said these games are like dance mats is just wrong. Sure the way you have to follow whats on screen is the same but pressing buttons quickly on a guitar or drumming to the beat is entirely different and requires much more skill. Especially the drums where the game is not a whole lot different to playing drums in real life.

LOL. I hate both dance mats and the GH games... but i would say the dance mats are harder due to the fact you have to actually lift your but off the seat to play. And, i hate to say it.. but better music too. I picked up one of those guitars and played the game for 30mins and i was already getting the hang of it to do well.. where as the dance mats are harder because not everyone can move their feet in coordination.

(1000th post)
Lee
Easy!!! You must have been playing on easy, those games are actually quite difficult but cause I've played guitar for years I'm quite good at the guitar games. See the below song and tell me that it's easy, it's the hardest song in the game and the only one I can't beat! If you can't face watching the whole thing then fast forward to the solo at 5.30,

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MvD75auiLHc&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MvD75auiLHc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Or this on the drums:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c7Bk8kb7Pow&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c7Bk8kb7Pow&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Ex-PS Fanboy
is that really you? nice skills...i dont suppose you got a video of you playing through the fire and flames on expert?
DiO
I always though they should make a game like this but where you could hook a real guitar up to it. Across the bottum they could have the tab or notes you have to play and they could have an EQ going and it would score you how how close your notes are to the actual song. This way REAL musicians would play the game, and not only that it would be a good tool to teach guitar.
Lee
QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Jun 12 2008, 08:24 PM) [snapback]1447444[/snapback]
is that really you? nice skills...i dont suppose you got a video of you playing through the fire and flames on expert?

I never said that was me playing. Just showing videos of the most difficult guitar and drum songs in the game. That guy on the drums makes it look easy. I can't beat that guitar song yet. I fail at the same point every single time. If I could get through that one sequence I would 5* it easy. The point in the song is at 7.50 in the video and then again at 8.20. It's the only part of the song I can't play and my fingers just can't go fast enough to do it!! How the fuck does the guy in the video get 100% in that section.
Ophis-
Because hes sad enough to practice every min of the day for weeks on end thats how.

And your the first and only person who prises the game and can actually also play the real instrament... everyone else who can slags the game off for being un-real and pointless.
jev
They're fun to play and I'm pretty good at them, finished all 3 guitar hero games, but I can't understand how people can sit there and complete every song 100%. Takes all the fun out of the game.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(Lee @ Jun 12 2008, 08:46 PM) [snapback]1447465[/snapback]

I never said that was me playing. Just showing videos of the most difficult guitar and drum songs in the game. That guy on the drums makes it look easy. I can't beat that guitar song yet. I fail at the same point every single time. If I could get through that one sequence I would 5* it easy. The point in the song is at 7.50 in the video and then again at 8.20. It's the only part of the song I can't play and my fingers just can't go fast enough to do it!! How the fuck does the guy in the video get 100% in that section.

it's still better than what i can do
Sharpie Fetish
Guitar hero is great rockband isnt as great and its sets you back alot
Lee
QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Jun 13 2008, 04:27 PM) [snapback]1447672[/snapback]

To one of your original questions, I don't have a video of me playing TTFATF on expert cause I couldn't even get close to beating it. In fact, I couldn't even get past the intro!! I did beat it on Hard though, twice.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(Lee @ Jun 13 2008, 04:36 PM) [snapback]1447711[/snapback]
QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Jun 13 2008, 04:27 PM) [snapback]1447672[/snapback]

To one of your original questions, I don't have a video of me playing TTFATF on expert cause I couldn't even get close to beating it. In fact, I couldn't even get past the intro!! I did beat it on Hard though, twice.

once again still better than me
jev
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jun 12 2008, 09:16 PM) [snapback]1447452[/snapback]
I always though they should make a game like this but where you could hook a real guitar up to it. Across the bottum they could have the tab or notes you have to play and they could have an EQ going and it would score you how how close your notes are to the actual song. This way REAL musicians would play the game, and not only that it would be a good tool to teach guitar.

There's a game coming out that allows you to hook a real guitar up and play.
TheAnalogKid2112
I used to be a guitar hero maniac. Now i'm a rock band maniac since i play the real drums.
Lee
OMG I DID IT!!!!

Finally I beat that bloody Green Grass and High Tides on expert guitar. I never managed to beat Guitar Hero on expert, but now I have managed to beat Rockband on expert. That was f***ing hard. Good luck to anyone who is trying to beat that song cause I'm delighted that I actually managed it, even if it did take me a million attempts.
1UP
This is to some people saying whats the point if you can play a real guitar... thing is I cant, so fuck off.lol

Anyway part of it is just what other people in here said, your playing to your fav songs, an they managed to do this stuff in a non lame way. I admit i thought it was stupid at first but when I played, it was very addicting.

I can see eventually in the future if consuls don't die, they would end up making some way of a realistic guitar an actually play the songs realistically. Cause I no fuckin idea how to play a real guitar. =)
DiO
Learn? If they had a realistic Guitar Hero Id let it teach me how to play.
asthenia
Ahem.

Ahem.

(play the game if you don't understand.)
jev
I hate that webcomic.
TheAnalogKid2112
I can't wait for the Who pack!
DiO
I finally playted guitar hero. I beat it on easy. I played it when visiting family. My cousin borrowed it from his neighbour. Its was fun but I find the game WAY overrated. The graphics should be better and no doubt its DLC is being whored.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.