Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Try using cover, stupid.
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > Multiplayer Discussion
yadoso
Dear Team Deathmatch players,

I think multiplayer needs to be unlocked. Seriously. You need to know the basics of the game before you play. Like, say, switching weapons and aim zoom. But the biggest problem I have is how people don't use the cover system. I see a firefight in a team deathmatch, so I drive over and use a handbrake turn to give them some cover. What do they do?

They stand there!

You move two feet to the left, and there you go: cover. But they stand (not crouch) there, thinking they can shoot forever (and ignore recoil) and kill everyone. I know the cover system isn't perfect, since you can't quickly react to rear threats. But at least get behind the fucking vehicle.

Thank you.

P.S, try not using a rocket launcher for close combat, genius. You might not damage me directly, but an exploding car either lauching me or landing on me sure will.

P.P.S, stop asking me why I'm an almost naked zombie.
DiO
Yah, people really are fucking stupid. Well thats harsh, but they're stupid when it comes to playing GTA. Thats more fair.
§ynch
QUOTE(yadoso @ Jun 7 2008, 07:22 PM) [snapback]1446085[/snapback]
Dear Team Deathmatch players,

I think multiplayer needs to be unlocked. Seriously. You need to know the basics of the game before you play. Like, say, switching weapons and aim zoom. But the biggest problem I have is how people don't use the cover system. I see a firefight in a team deathmatch, so I drive over and use a handbrake turn to give them some cover. What do they do?

They stand there!

You move two feet to the left, and there you go: cover. But they stand (not crouch) there, thinking they can shoot forever (and ignore recoil) and kill everyone. I know the cover system isn't perfect, since you can't quickly react to rear threats. But at least get behind the fucking vehicle.

Thank you.

P.S, try not using a rocket launcher for close combat, genius. You might not damage me directly, but an exploding car either lauching me or landing on me sure will.

P.P.S, stop asking me why I'm an almost naked zombie.

What do you expect with an average of 12 year olds.
Dude, if you want seasoned players you'll need to recruit, or join a clan.
ThePaleOgre
I dont like to use cover because
1. Youre stationary while shooting
2. You have to hold the trigger to shoot (no bursting)
3. You can still be shot in the hands even when you are not leaning out

Id rather be mobile and be able to strafe than be somewhat covered
ViceMan
The cover system is kinda awkward at times, it's got me killed on more than one occasion, but I understand what you're saying, i've been in deathmatches where people just run out from round corners guns blazing. I prefer to use my AK-47 like a semi-automatic, just keep tapping the trigger and aim for headshots, I don't know if it's me but does the AK do more damage when you're not zoomed in? It seems that way. There's a whole bunch of other things that really annoy me:
  • People disregarding armour and running straight into gun battles. Prats.
  • People who don't know how to crouch, it's really easy to target someone with a big coloured circle above their heads.
  • People who insist on getting cars and chasing each other round in a deathmatch, go fuck around in free roam. (SEE BELOW)
  • People treating free roam like deathmatch, i joined one free roam game at the prison and everyone was gunning for each other, I put away my weapons to show I wasn't fighting, but still ended up getting slaughtered about a dozen times. My own fault really, but annoying nonetheless.
  • Those bloody server hosts who sit idle at the game selection screen, you can't even kick 'em cause people don't vote.
TrIgGeR HaPpY
I love using cover it makes the game so much easier, especially on the co-op modes adn in turf war. Co-op because its just like using the cover in single player, the AI are like designed to act dumb when you are in cover. It is also handy in turf war, because you can get get so many kills whilst camping at the base you are at. Just use the cover system behind a corner, and your enemy will just run into your line of fire. Because there are a limited of ways of entering the base, unlike the other modes, where you can just go wherever the hell you want.
bouncing
QUOTE(ViceMan @ Jun 8 2008, 11:27 AM) [snapback]1446232[/snapback]
The cover system is kinda awkward at times, it's got me killed on more than one occasion, but I understand what you're saying, i've been in deathmatches where people just run out from round corners guns blazing. I prefer to use my AK-47 like a semi-automatic, just keep tapping the trigger and aim for headshots, I don't know if it's me but does the AK do more damage when you're not zoomed in? It seems that way. There's a whole bunch of other things that really annoy me:

Yes, yes, I totally agree. The cover system is designed more for single-player than multi-player -- usually a little bit of you sticks out beyond the cover, and it's pretty easy to shoot people who foolishly think the cover system is protecting them. Having said that, people in multiplayer could still stand to use it now and then.

I too have learned that using the assault rifles like a semi-automatic weapon is far more effective. Even if you aren't going for headshots, your chestshots are a lot more effective if you moderate your fire and don't lose all your aim to recoil. (Did no one notice that tip?)

Auto-aim also changes the dynamics of the cover system.
bOnEs
auto-aim makes the cover system funner... when it's off, you never hit anyone... when it's on, you at least can put a few bullets into someone trying to cover... granted, sometimes you die in cover but, that's because your too close to the edge, or you are already holding the aim button down... when holding aim, you pop your head out around the corner, leaving it open to headshots...

also, i thought if you were in cover, or ducking down, your icon above your head disappears... i have noticed this to be false... when i am in cover i still get shot at, and when someone else is in cover, i can still see their icon... maybe this is an option you can set if your the host or something...
ViceMan
The coloured circle disappears only when you crouch, as I mentioned in my previous post/rant. I always go for auto aim games, I can't be arsed to manually aim, i'm not that competitive, however I like to catch out noobs by sitting just out of lock on range and picking them off with a couple of M16 shots while they're waiting to lock on with theirs.
bOnEs
QUOTE(ViceMan @ Jun 9 2008, 05:15 PM) [snapback]1446527[/snapback]
The coloured circle disappears only when you crouch, as I mentioned in my previous post/rant. I always go for auto aim games, I can't be arsed to manually aim, i'm not that competitive, however I like to catch out noobs by sitting just out of lock on range and picking them off with a couple of M16 shots while they're waiting to lock on with theirs.

ohh, it doesn't work on the cover system, just on crouching, huh? lol, well that makes sense then i guess...

lol, the noobs need to learn to move if your not locking on... it's harder to hit a moving target outside of range biggrin.gif...
DiO
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Jun 9 2008, 05:37 PM) [snapback]1446533[/snapback]
it's harder to hit a moving target outside of range biggrin.gif...

With that being said, when auto-aim is off I just run in zig-zags, get close to people and knife them. Its pretty sad TBH.
bOnEs
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jun 9 2008, 08:12 PM) [snapback]1446585[/snapback]
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Jun 9 2008, 05:37 PM) [snapback]1446533[/snapback]
it's harder to hit a moving target outside of range biggrin.gif...

With that being said, when auto-aim is off I just run in zig-zags, get close to people and knife them. Its pretty sad TBH.

i haven't had the luxury of getting that close with auto-aim off... i usually get picked off by some FPS expert from a hundred yards out...
yadoso
I know the cover system is made for single player, but you could at least crouch behind a car. Hell, even if I use an ambulance (tall enough to stand behind), they ignore me.
Davidgtza2
i hardly ever use cover in MP, i just crouch, aim for the head and move on, it works for me biggrin.gif but yeah i get your point
smartian
I was playing a deathmatch with 1 other person, i used the cover system, really went well for a while the other guy was very good though...yet there was one kill i made when covering... shame the police were after me aswell though lol... couldn't find them so i died shortly after killing the other guy...
made me laugh tho... i was the one to put police 'on'...makes it harder...more realistic too.

I do prefer to use cover...

found the cops and crooks quite fun, but havnt played everything yet... only just getting into the online play.

wana try and find some kind of clan/group/gang where maybe it could be abit more RolePlaying...
i think GTA is the best game to do this on, as its just like living in New York smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.