Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time Periods and Grand Theft Auto
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > Downloadable Content / Next GTA Discussion
yadoso
So, the Canon story is a bit like this:

Vice City Stories (1984)
Vice City (1986)
San Andreas (1992)
Liberty City Stories (1998)
Grand Theft Auto III (2001)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)

So, nothing before the 1980's. I think this limits the potential of the series. While we might be more familiar with the last 25-30 years or so, on a personal level, some of the coolest criminal escapades are a long while back. Look at the Godfather series and Goodfellas. Firing a Tommy Gun out of a car window would be epic, and almost every decade has an ability to be satired.

But while a 20's Mafia story is cool, it would limit the out-of-story options. Say goodbye to cell phones, TV, Internet, popular music (the Godfather game played the SAME MUSIC over and over), good cars, and the sense of true satire. Features would need to be cut to a ridiculous degree.

So, Grand Theft Auto in the past: Yay or Nay? Should we just look at the present?
Mohawk
well...
there was stuff to do in the past...
it was the jazz age... prohibition...
there was hell of illegal rackets going on...
I think if godfather had being made by r*, it would be awesome, but it was a nice game anyways...
jev
Are you leaving out the first ones then?
Cos theres London 1969.
DiO
QUOTE(yadoso @ Jun 6 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]1445741[/snapback]
But while a 20's Mafia story is cool, it would limit the out-of-story options. Say goodbye to cell phones, TV, Internet, popular music (the Godfather game played the SAME MUSIC over and over), good cars, and the sense of true satire. Features would need to be cut to a ridiculous degree.

So, Grand Theft Auto in the past: Yay or Nay? Should we just look at the present?

Well this is pretty much the time period of LA Noire sp I HIGHLY doubt they are going to make two games in the same time period.
Tyla
I think '61 was the earliest time for a GTA game to be set, but i've never played it, although I think London '69 was a good game with the potrayals of the Kray Twins(Or Crisp Twins as their known in the game). I also liked The Godfather Game a lot, but that was down to the fighting, the taking over of Rackets/Extorting businesses and executions, however there wasen't much else to do, and as you pointed out, we would be kissing good bye to TV, Mobile Phones, The decent and wide range of music, The Cars and so much more. The only modern decade not touched by Rockstar is the 70's. I'd love a 70's style GTA, proberly in 1978/79, but of course there'd be no Mobile Phone(They were invented, but they weren't available in the US until 1983), but there's always the pager although I don't know how that could work exactly when it comes to friends, if the activity could be selected and then the message sent, and you get your friends answer paged back to you. I think the soundtrack would also be pretty good, aswell as the storyline possibilities, atmosphere in the city, the cars and clothes amongst other things. I wouldn't mind re-visiting 60's London either.
HB~Sauce
I could see them doing a 70's GTA, but as long as they don't get the bright idea to do a future GTA *shudders*
DiO
I think they will leave the future to Saints Row. A cheesey idea like that, I thnik they'll be all over it.
Dampkring
Ok so after GTA4 and being spoiled by things we don't even know spoiled us yet... No cell phones? No thanks... Heck.. screw cellphones man, no cub3d??? Pshawww... gtfo!

On a serious note, though.. In my opinion, it has to stay modern to work. I know Rockstar could make it work, but it would have to be a huge departure from what GTA has become.
HB~Sauce
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jun 6 2008, 05:54 PM) [snapback]1445825[/snapback]
I think they will leave the future to Saints Row. A cheesey idea like that, I thnik they'll be all over it.

For sure, it's just a matter of time before it happens.
devilsnumber
QUOTE(yadoso @ Jun 7 2008, 05:04 AM) [snapback]1445741[/snapback]
So, the Canon story is a bit like this:

Vice City Stories (1984)
Vice City (1986)
San Andreas (1992)
Liberty City Stories (1998)
Grand Theft Auto III (2001)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)

So, nothing before the 1980's. I think this limits the potential of the series. While we might be more familiar with the last 25-30 years or so, on a personal level, some of the coolest criminal escapades are a long while back. Look at the Godfather series and Goodfellas. Firing a Tommy Gun out of a car window would be epic, and almost every decade has an ability to be satired.

what about the grand theft auto london 1969 game ?
Skinny 
The only real losses with putting GTA in the 70s is that there would be no internet and no mobile phone. Who cares about internet? Emails were usless, love meet was pointless you could just do it SA style and the police site could be replaced by files, i'm sure Rockstar could fix it not to look cheesy.
No mobile phones would be a little disapointing, but calls about missions could easily be replaced with a pager and you could always use a home phone for calling friends to hang out.
Thrilla in Manila
I use the in-game internet all the time. Fucking hours worth of info put into the internet.

but GTA III and GTA IV have different canons. Darkel dropped a nuclear bomb on the GTA Universe in 2003 and killed everyone except people in GTA IV. All the cities had to be rebuilt. Only surviving protagonist from GTA III series is Claude who dies in 2013. (same universe I guess Anywhere city= Basis for GTA III Liberty City)
yadoso
I don't really think the 2D GTA's are really canon or considered relevant. GTA III and the following games are just such a departure from them that they are barely known anymore. I'm not saying they aren't good, they are, but they aren't GTA as we know it.

I suppose newspapers could be the "Internet", but even there we have the issue of them being updated. One newspaper all the way through? I don't think so. Archives, maybe.

Television would be present, just low quality. I guess. But radio has changed so much from the earlier days. It was pretty much news back then, and jazz, but rap and rock (the two biggest genres enjoyed by GTA fans, probably) are gone. You can't put Andrew Bird or Metallica back then without some weird vibes. Talk radio would be awesome, but that gets old after a while. Not everyone makes custom tracks.

As for the canon story and IV: The graffiti showing the deaths of previous characters, the reference to the radio guy (the Wild Traveler, or something - he's in jail now), and a few other references (Giggle cream), I think, make the story canon. Or maybe each console generation presents a different story set. I don't know for sure, but it's probably in line. Also, Claude is dead as of 2008, because of the graffiti.

And I was thinking: maybe the DLC will present Jon Gravelli in earlier days. The new Liberty City Mafia families are never really laid out, and it would be cool to see.
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(Skinny. @ Jun 6 2008, 08:33 PM) [snapback]1445862[/snapback]
The only real losses with putting GTA in the 70s is that there would be no internet and no mobile phone. Who cares about internet? Emails were usless, love meet was pointless you could just do it SA style and the police site could be replaced by files, i'm sure Rockstar could fix it not to look cheesy.
No mobile phones would be a little disapointing, but calls about missions could easily be replaced with a pager and you could always use a home phone for calling friends to hang out.

Dont think pagers existed in the 70's...

But an alternate to home phones could be payphones.
Skinny 
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Jun 8 2008, 12:17 PM) [snapback]1446081[/snapback]
Dont think pagers existed in the 70's...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pager

"Paging was invented by Multitone Electronics in 1956"
Thrilla in Manila
lmfao no one would buy that shit if it was in the 70s.
NIGGALICIOUS
QUOTE(Thrilla in Manila @ Jun 8 2008, 06:12 AM) [snapback]1446126[/snapback]

I would. All kinds of great Muscle cars to choose from, Awesome music selection and clothing styles.
neko_ceko
and awesome selection of drugs!
Skinny 
QUOTE(Thrilla in Manila @ Jun 8 2008, 04:12 PM) [snapback]1446126[/snapback]

I should hope you mean "IMO the games potential would be limited if it was set in the seventies"? Saying 'no one' implies that it's more than just your opinion, wich isn't the case since I haven't seen anyone in the thread agree with you and when you say 'that shit' instead of GTA it makes you look like a major wigger.

You've been on the forums for a while and in some posts you claimed to be over 16 (obviously bullshit), but it's still a fair assumption that you're at least 13 or so. So, why the hell do you talk like that?
neko_ceko
Oh and fuck cellphones. We can always do it old fashion way, via pay phones!
reform
Hmmm. Are we expecting GTA5 next then? Or do we think they will do the same as was done with GTA3 and essentially it's prequels?

I think that if and when GTA5 does come out, it will be in the present, for the time it is released. But there could be 2 or 3 games between now and that time.

As a personal oppinion, Rockstar can take me back to the 80's as many times as they like. I'd also be happy to go back to the 60's or the 70's. Or they can just do more in the present, but perhaps just one or 2 years either side of GTA4.

SirPsychoSexy
We NEED a GTA game in the '70s. Discos, stoners, hippies... And a rock consert!
Wouldn't it be cool if you got a mission to kill someone in the VIP audience on a rock consert or a baseball game or something?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.