Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Carter 3
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Entertainment
Styl
So guys, the Carter 3 leaked last Friday. I've been listening to it, trying to see what the big hoop-la over Wayne is. Never was big into him before, and I can see why some may like him....

But he's not for me.

The cd itself is put together pretty well, the guy definitely has a nice ear for beats. A few songs really stand out to me, like Mr. Carter and Dr. Carter, Shoot Me Down, Playing With Fire and Nothing on Me. With those songs though, and likewise with the rest of the cd, the beat is more interesting than what Wayne is saying. Oh, and that goofy homo-ass laugh of his has G2G.

A few things that would greatly improve this cd would be more songs with actual topics and substance, and Wayne putting some relative lyrics to them. On quite a few of the songs it sounds like he's doing nothing more than random freestyles. And please, LESS AUTOTUNE. He isn't even a singer, for God's sake. On Lollipop, I could let it slide. But anymore than that, no.

I like to have a cd captivate me, and be able to go back later on and pick up things that I missed before. It seems like all of his punches and metaphors are something a middle school student would write. One listen to most of these songs and they really seem boring after that.

Production-wise, Wayne can pick some hot stuff. Producers like Kanye, StreetRunner, Drew and Inf, and Alc came through for him on this. A few beats weren't particularly to my liking though. For example, the Kanye-produced Let The Beat Build was just about the laziest beat I've heard on a commercial cd. Something tells me that Wayne had something to do with that. Also, the RnB and club-type beats he had were nice, but not really my taste. Glad he kept those to a minimum.

As far as features go, he shouldn't have had any. At least not the likes of Fab and Jay. Its just not good looks to get killed on your own song. Static Major (RIP) and Bobby V were nice additions though, as was Babyface and Busta Rhymes. T Pain was... well, T Pain. What can you say?

So overall, I give this cd a 7/10. Would've rated higher to me if it had more relevant lyrics, a few better produced tracks, and less of that annoying-ass homo laugh. Oh, and if its not an emotional track Weezy, don't sound like you're crying all over it. I'm just sayin...
Bain
Well I loved the Carter and even moreso the Carter 2 so I probably will love it.
Styl
I've never really heard The Carter 1 or 2... I was just looking at it from a general point of view. But yeah I think wayne fans will be all over it.
Thrilla in Manila
What are you talking about? Only time he did a random ass freestyle was on You Ain't Got Nothin' On Me... and a little on Let The Beat Build.

Every track on the Carter 3 besides Milli, Got Money, La La, and Lollipop gets either a 4/5 or a 5/5. He spazzed on alot of songs. That's saying something about a guy who freestyled his last 4 albums, 3 of which went platinum.
Styl
There are 2 or 3 songs where he starts randomly about pussy for no appearant reason. I'm sitting here thinking "what the hell does that have to do with the song?".
But trust me, I've been in studio enough with rappers that write songs, and rappers that just freestyle and try to make it fit the beat. BIG difference.

I will give him props on Dr. Carter, though. Great concept for that joint.
Thrilla in Manila
Lil Wayne has to be the rapper with the most rhythm ever. He made Bling Bling famous, he coined the phrase "Drop it like it's hot" on just his adlibs.

Besides Juvenile he has the most rhythm. Dude could probably make a symphony of shit grunts and freestyle over them and it will be catchy as hell.

Phone Home- Nice concept song about him being an Alien. "I'm rare like Mr. Clean with hair" *FUCKING BURIED*
Dr. Carter- Should win a Grammy.
Mr. Carter- Great collab between the two greats. Jay and Wayne. It also looks like Jay passed the torch at the end of his verse.
Playing With Fire- He fucking spazzes on this song.
Tie My Hands- Nice song, just fall back and listen.
Shoot Me Down- Once again, it's a nice song so just fall back and listen.
Mrs. Officer- NWA said "FUCK THA POLICE"... Lil Wayne did infact fuck the police. Also has Nutt Da Kidd from the SQAD @ the end.
Let The Beat Build- Kanye + Dwayne "RhymeSpasm" Carter= Disgusting song, 5/5.
Comfortable- Shit is perfect just fall back and listen.

All these songs he usually stays on point throughout the whole song.
Indy
The best song is "Let the beat build" its brilliant. Building the beat throughout the song, until at the end its all together, Kanye West is a genius. I've never heard a song like that. Mr Carter is pretty awesome as well, Jay kills that track off.
Styl
I'm looking at the album as a critic, not as a fan of Wayne. I'm not really hating on him either. His style isn't so much for me. Like I said, its not a bad album. He does have some good songs. But I guess he really appeals to the younger folks. I'm not old, I just like more mature music.

Oh and Let the Beat Build would have been a great concept if it wasn't just the same sample over and over and over, with a few 808's thrown on it.
GTA~BOSS
tha drought pt1 2 and is over has some wicked shit. i just got the leaked of the drought 5 it alright i love lil wanye he my favorite in fact he the only rfap i listen to and young gezzy akon and a couple others,
he is deffinitty the most rythme a when he spits it make sense you know like some rapper be rapping and your like what is he talkin bout but lil wanye is just sick not sick ill, he don't spit he vomits i like the song i know the furture
its pretty tight and i'm hot thats just ill lol
Styl
QUOTE(GTA~BOSS @ Jun 5 2008, 04:21 PM) [snapback]1445448[/snapback]
tha drought pt1 2 and is over has some wicked shit. i just got the leaked of the drought 5 it alright i love lil wanye he my favorite in fact he the only rfap i listen to and young gezzy akon and a couple others,
he is deffinitty the most rythme a when he spits it make sense you know like some rapper be rapping and your like what is he talkin bout but lil wanye is just sick not sick ill, he don't spit he vomits i like the song i know the furture
its pretty tight and i'm hot thats just ill lol

How old are you?
Thrilla in Manila
I hate when that shit happens. Learn to fucking spell.
Styl
At first I thought he was being sarcastic, but.....

No comment.
ENVi3
I've never listened to him, but i guess i have heard some of his songs on the radio.
at my school it seems it's mostly females that like him. very few guys do ... and most guys claim he's one of the worst.

i don't really care either way.
Skinny 
I'd be lieing if I said I never liked a Lil' wayne verse, but he's just a bit "pulin' up to the club on rims", if you know what I mean.

Apparently him and Birdman did make a good album. 'Like Father, Like Son' it was called. I might check that one out, but I doubt I would enjoy any of his new shit.
Indy
Some of his lyrics are awesome. They're just irrelevant.
Thrilla in Manila
Lil Wayne fucking spazzed on Let the Beat Build, if you think Wayne is a "pullin up to the club on rims" type rapper you should definitely give this album a listen because Wayne is very versatile. His popular songs are those type but he fucking spazzes on almost every song.
Styl
Welp guys, it came out today... Anyone buy it?
Bain
I just bought it, Ill check it out tomorrow afternoon or maybe late morn.
Thrilla in Manila
Tha Carter III probably went platinum hours ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.