Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto-Aim
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > Multiplayer Discussion
DiO
Which do you prefer? A fast-paced auto-aim allowed game. Or the percise shootouts of a auto-aim disallowed game.

At first I hated the idea of no auto-aim but I see the benefits. More skill required. Some claim anyone can be good with auto-aim on. Yes, anyone can be good. But YOU can still be better, that is if you learn the ins and outs of the cover-system. My main complaint with auto-aim being disallowed is that it makes the cover system MUCH less useful in combat. But it makes drive-by's MUCH more useful with it off since a pedestrian player cant auto-aim you when your in a car. It can also be said that drive-bys are TOO effective when it if off.
All in all, I prefer auto-aim on.
nirvanafrik
auto-aim Disallow! only for skilled people ^^
DiO
K, not playing with you anymore. sleep.gif
ThePaleOgre
If the game type revolves around cars then Id rather it be disabled because with autoaim on it is very easy to kill drivers
Otherwise I dont really care
bouncing
I see the benefits of turning it off, but the PS3/XBox controllers don't seem designed for precision aiming. On a PC, you can use a gaming mouse, but on a PS3, I think it's (dare I say) unrealistically difficult to aim without it.

Having said that, the ability to lock on to a moving car with auto-aim is ridiculous. I think a half-on feature would be good -- disable it if the target is moving quickly, but otherwise allow auto aim, or at least approximate auto-aim (get the gun close, fine-tune by hand)!

Regarding auto-aim making anyone a good player: This simply isn't true. There are still tactics and strategies, which are actually more interesting than merely developing a skilled aiming finger.
Kryton
I find it hard to play without it because of the lag I get. I am often left shooting at space or emptying clip after clip into some fool only to be killed by what seems like one bullet. At least with auto aim ON I have a better chance of the gun aiming at the target.
GTA~BOSS
have you ever aim a gun itnot the easyest thing one you got to take alot in for the shot air speed location muzzle jump
i find in real life i can aim alittle down and to the left and i usally hit my target all guns are different
in the game i like it off most the time it makes the match alot funner with it on it is faster paced but to easy and not really that competive field too it more like who starts shootin frist

DISALLOW
Dampkring
While I completely understand and agree with the idea that it takes more skill to play when it is disallowed, I have to admit I prefer it on. The reason being, I played first person shooter games on computer for years before a first person shooter or free-aim shooter was on a console. When I play any game that requires free-aim on a console, it pisses me off. It is completely impossible to be as accurate with a controller than with a mouse. It is just frustrating to me to try and aim precisely with a controller knowing I could clear through it with ease with a mouse. When I play with auto-aim off I get frustrated constantly thinking "gimme a damn mouse and this would be so easy!!" and switch to games with it on.

I know, I know... then go back to computers... But GTA4 isn't on computer!!! =P

Anyway, the auto-aim is a blessing in GTA4. It lets me focus less on aiming and more on strategy, which is why I like these games online in the first place. All that being said, I find myself more and more aim zooming while walking even in games with auto-target on and half the time killing my opponents before I even lock on to them. Eventually when I am more comfortable with the controls, I think I will move to auto-aim off, but for now, I think i will stick with it when I can. Or maybe I will just break down and buy the mouse/keyboard adapter for 360 and go free aim, lol.
rallyarne
Auto-Aim should only be ON if you're playing any of the co-op matches, deathmatch and the rest of game-types it should be set to OFF.
BRKS
Auto-Aim should only be ON if you're playing any of the co-op matches, deathmatch and the rest of game-types it should be set to OFF.

I voted disallow but i agree with that fully^^
aye_rufus
DISALLOW. Auto Aim is for chumps. But it does speed up a game.

Everytime I play, there is always someone screaming for disallow.

"TURN IT FUCKING OFF DAMMIT"
nicksizzy
QUOTE(aye_rufus @ Jun 3 2008, 02:26 PM) [snapback]1444374[/snapback]
DISALLOW. Auto Aim is for chumps.

'Nuff said.
mastahkill666
allow, makes more fair for driving people vs walking ppl.
HongKongPhooey
yep, it depends on the game i do get pissed when im playing hangmans noose and they have auto off because i like to kill like fifty swat members before i leave and i have to turn too much with it off, but online turn that shit off there is allready enough pussy ways to kill people you might aswell make it hard with a gun.
Zen
I prefer it disallowed.
FuddMan
I like having it on, otherwise every encounter you have is either at very short range or with someone racing towards you in an Infernus in the middle of Star Junction... at least with it on you can take people out that are quite far away without endlessly searching for a sniper rifle first.
Jesseeast
I prefer it but sometimes I dont.
DiO
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Jun 3 2008, 06:14 PM) [snapback]1444616[/snapback]
I like having it on, otherwise every encounter you have is either at very short range or with someone racing towards you in an Infernus in the middle of Star Junction... at least with it on you can take people out that are quite far away without endlessly searching for a sniper rifle first.

Yah, I just did some auto-aim off. Cars are too dominant. Since the cover-system is shit with auto-aim off people dont use and and just sit in the middle of the road. I got at least a 10 kill streak within 1 min just running people over because they couldnt kill me.

Auto-aim has been in GTA since III and with it off it isn;t GTA. And when people aren't in range of auto-aim and can still shoot them in manual. I got MANY kills this way. Doesn't take much still. Its not like you disallowed player are fucking houdini. Its NOT hard.

And auto-aim doesn't make it easier. Its and advantage. But if EVERYONE has said advantage its a level playing ground and its just as hard.

My main problem with disallow is that when in cover, you have to hold down the trigger to pop-out and shoot. But doing this for too long you get too much recoil so you much cover up again. Without auto-aim, when you take the cover to either lower the recoil or reload you then have to re-aim. Therefor, the cover-system if pretty much useless with auto-aim on.
DuPz0r
It doesnt feel right without it in the game, dont get me wrong i like playing without auto on once in a while in a match. But as mentioned above, the controls are not tweaked enough, its a little shit aiming with an anolog stick. So auto-aim works for me.

Plus i dont like shoot-outs draging for ages coz no one has the accuracy to kill the other.
bOnEs
i played some team deathmatch matches last night and every single one of them had auto-aim off... and while it was pretty cool to finally be able to run people over, it really sucked overall...

the shoot-outs weren't any fun... i kept getting picked off by idiots with snipers and assault rifles from a 100 yards away... it really made it difficult to enjoy... everytime i took cover, i didn't kill anyone... instead i was a sitting duck for the people i mentioned earlier who could pick me off from great distances...

at least with auto-aim, the "kick ass cover system" comes back into play... and it takes just as much skill to kill with auto-aim than it does without it... your strategy becomes very important... finding enclosed alleys with small areas to shoot through... getting on a rooftop for a better advantage... being able to kill that idiot in the turismo who is flying at you 100 MPH... IDK, there's just a lot of positives with auto-aim...

without it, GTA just becomes another FPS in a 3rd person view... with auto-aim on, GTA becomes the GTA that you learned to play with for a month now... cover, shoot, cover, run, cover, shoot, cover, BOOM!! it's the GTA that R* wanted you to play...

so, i say ALLOW dammit!!
DiO
QUOTE(DuPz0r™ @ Jun 4 2008, 07:09 AM) [snapback]1444785[/snapback]
It doesnt feel right without it in the game, dont get me wrong i like playing without auto on once in a while in a match. But as mentioned above, the controls are not tweaked enough, its a little shit aiming with an anolog stick. So auto-aim works for me.

Plus i dont like shoot-outs draging for ages coz no one has the accuracy to kill the other.

They do get tedious.

QUOTE(bOnEs @ Jun 4 2008, 12:26 PM) [snapback]1444866[/snapback]
i played some team deathmatch matches last night and every single one of them had auto-aim off... and while it was pretty cool to finally be able to run people over, it really sucked overall................................................ it's the GTA that R* wanted you to play...

so, i say ALLOW dammit!!

Can't agree more. I really don't have to, the poll has spoken.
RAHUL
Auto-aim is to make money. When Im host its always on because I play Team DM for fun. However, when auto-aim is on you always get noobs saying auto-aim off its for pussys. Well guess what? If you want to fcuking practice your aim and be Mr Rambo, go and join the US army like a real man and take a bullet up your ass! If you dont wanna do that coz your the pussy then fcuk off my server and host your own! I swear people take the game so seriously. I wanna make money and getting to level 10 you need like 5 million and I dont wanna spend decade making that!

If auto-aim is off there is a very big disadvantage to players like myself who only play once in a while! Why? Because the noobs that are on it 24/7 can aim from a mile away and kill you. And I aint a looser to sit online all day practicing my aim so I can virtually kill you. Like I said, if you wanna be Rambo go and join the US army and get your ass bombed in Iraq or somewhere! Adios
TrIgGeR HaPpY
I like it on, because i find it too hard to aim with the right analogue stick, even with my dexterity. ITs not the same as a keyboard and mouse, you don't get as much precision with a gamepad as you do with the mouse. Besides i found on the servers with auto aim on, the really skilled people just manual aim anyway, and always get the headshot. Because when you auto aim you can only aim for the body. Also i found usually the people who suck on sniper only matches and when auto aim is disallowed they usually just run and knife you.

If this game comes out for pc, then obviously i'd play it with auto aim off, it just depends on the controller you are using.
RAHUL
QUOTE(TrIgGeR HaPpY @ Jun 10 2008, 08:01 PM) [snapback]1446876[/snapback]
I like it on, because i find it too hard to aim with the right analogue stick, even with my dexterity. ITs not the same as a keyboard and mouse, you don't get as much precision with a gamepad as you do with the mouse. Besides i found on the servers with auto aim on, the really skilled people just manual aim anyway, and always get the headshot. Because when you auto aim you can only aim for the body. Also i found usually the people who suck on sniper only matches and when auto aim is disallowed they usually just run and knife you.

If this game comes out for pc, then obviously i'd play it with auto aim off, it just depends on the controller you are using.

How do you aim manuallyy when auto aim is on??
TrIgGeR HaPpY
on ps3, you just hold the l2 button lightly, it says you can do it at the start of single player. Thats why they made it that button, because it is like touch sensitive. Its the same when driving cars, you can hold the right trigger lightly and the car wont accelerate as fast.

Thats why they didn't make the controls the same as san andreas. on ps2
DiO
QUOTE(TrIgGeR HaPpY @ Jun 10 2008, 03:01 PM) [snapback]1446876[/snapback]
the really skilled people just manual aim anyway, and always get the headshot. Because when you auto aim you can only aim for the body.

Have you even played this game at all? Well I guess you wheren't paying attention to the tutorial missions. When using auto aim you can lock on and it target their body, yah. But you can then use the stick to angle it up to go for headshots while still locked on to them.
TrIgGeR HaPpY
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jun 10 2008, 05:19 PM) [snapback]1446885[/snapback]
QUOTE(TrIgGeR HaPpY @ Jun 10 2008, 03:01 PM) [snapback]1446876[/snapback]
the really skilled people just manual aim anyway, and always get the headshot. Because when you auto aim you can only aim for the body.

Have you even played this game at all? Well I guess you wheren't paying attention to the tutorial missions. When using auto aim you can lock on and it target their body, yah. But you can then use the stick to angle it up to go for headshots while still locked on to them.

aah shit, i forgot about that. I guess auto aim is bad then, but i only voted it because i can't aim with the analogue sticks for shit.
ViceMan
I always go for auto-aim games, I don't have the patience or desire to aim manually at someone, it's too much effort and i'm usually too tired from work to be arsed. If I do happen to get into non auto-aim games i'll find the nearest batch of grenades (if they're available,) get a fast car and do some explosive drive-bys to pass the time. I don't think this game is really designed for manual shooting, it doesn't have a first-person view. I hate FPS btw.
RAHUL
QUOTE(ViceMan @ Jun 10 2008, 09:37 PM) [snapback]1446923[/snapback]
I always go for auto-aim games, I don't have the patience or desire to aim manually at someone, it's too much effort and i'm usually too tired from work to be arsed. If I do happen to get into non auto-aim games i'll find the nearest batch of grenades (if they're available,) get a fast car and do some explosive drive-bys to pass the time. I don't think this game is really designed for manual shooting, it doesn't have a first-person view. I hate FPS btw.

Exactly what I do. Drive by nades is the best tactic since most of the time people dont even see the nades! LOL! Manual aim is totally pathetic and there is no precision with the analogue. I think it was yourself, or somone on this thread, said that manual aiming with the mouse is a lot better, and that is 100% correct! With the analogue its more like; when you want to aim to theright by 1mm the cross moves 1cm and that really sux! Whereas in the case of a mouse; you could precisely aim by a nanometre!
Indy
Auto-aim is boring, I always disable it, even in single player.
neko_ceko
disallow!
stealthsilent
I prefer it off, because i kind of think of it as a hack that is built into the game. ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.